Early morning golf

Comments

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    Nothing like teeing off at the crack of dawn. Nice pictures.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Going out and seeing maintenance a few holes ahead of you and no footprints in the dew is an awesome sight
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,154 ✭✭

We’re early every day, too. With most of Northern California burning down this summer, the smoke made for the most amazing sunrises I’ve ever seen.

Had lots of mornings where we were home by 9:00 a.m. before it got crowded and hot. There’s nothing better.

Wow so you tee off at 6 and then play in 2:30 hours i assume? Anything faster than 2:30 hours I have only done as a single or twosome in 2 separate carts.
    rainkingjr wrote:

I much prefer playing early golf. Only downside is the course is usually wet and some of the staff on some courses just don't seem to know how to stay out of the way.

A super told me that they need their pro shop to adhere to the scheduled tee times and not only that but ensure that a foursome also went out first to make sure the crews had ample time to do their work. Although a PITA to golfers, grounds crews have to respect their schedule.

we meet about forty five minutes before the round to warm up. practice bucket in the dark.

at T minus fifteen we are heading to the clubhouse to check in and await the sunrise.

glorious.

Where in Chicago is this? Also the range is open in the complete dark?
  • ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Members Posts: 395 ✭✭

Early morning walking are the best rounds. Fresh greens, get home early.

If you asked me what I love most in life I would obviously say family, friends, sports teams, and beer!! But not far down that list is "fresh greens". Nothing like blazing the first trail of the day on the course.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 762 ✭✭
    I use to belong at a local club that opened play at 7am in the summer. They would have my clubs setting on a cart near the number one tee by 6:55. I could play 18 and be at work by 9:15. Something special about making those first cart prints across a dew covered course going to your ball.
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭
    Nothing better for sure than getting in 18 and the wife and kid are just getting up. I get to play golf and the wife is happy bc i am home in time to help out with the kid.
  • stashtvstashtv Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Early AM golfer here (Los Angeles). Right before sunlight is good, gives me a chance to use glow in the dark balls. Guys behind me love it, as we're the first to break the morning dew on those greens.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,366 ✭✭
    edited Jan 20, 2019 2:13pm #99
    First light at Southern Dunes, Maricopa, AZ

20190120_073157.jpg

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,728 ✭✭
    I usually get 2 rounds in a week. Friday after work is 9 holes with my daughter. Sunday morning is race the sun as I try to be the first out in Central Florida. Very rarely does a round take more than 3 hours and there is always something magical about sunrise golf.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 438 ✭✭
    edited Jan 22, 2019 1:11pm #101
    I watch and time the sunrise all week to make sure I book for the following Saturday as close as possible to first sun. And when the sun rises on the second tee box "ahhhh, the sun".

nothing but positive things first light:

3 1/2 hour rounds, dudes in their mid 30's grinding to keep wife/ kids happy or older gentlemen who are all pretty friendly and funny.

people who show up that early normally play fast and don't complain or cry.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    We tee off at first light, with courses permission. Ground crew works well with us, we dont stop them and they do their best to keep us moving. 4 some plays in 3.5 hours
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
    Going to be interesting tomorrow morning in Orlando it’s supposed to be torrential rain, cold, and windy all day.

Oh well, let’s do this.
    Yeah, that didn’t work out. I had a better chance of kayaking on the course today.
  • tphilptphilp Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Love the extremes of the day either early morning or late evening with no one on the course!
  • Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I love the early morning photos. Between the kids and work, I never get an early round in. Normally I'm out between 2-4 on the weekends. Have raced the sun on many rounds. Sunset golf can be just as beautiful, minus the fog and dew.
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,156 ✭✭
    Mornings are great, but I carry no expectations on performance. It's like playing a different game.
    '16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 979 ✭✭
    A.Princey wrote:

Mornings are great, but I carry no expectations on performance. It's like playing a different game.

Early mornings are my best rounds...
  • PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    I love to be first off especially in the summer and early fall. Working at 6am and having a after 2PM twilight membership, it only happened a few times this last year.
    Krt22 wrote:

It's a long ball for sure, but I also play the Z-star XV which does well in the wind and I'd say they are pretty comparable, with the edge going to the TP5X in feel. I hit a 9i into a solid headwind today that carried 160ish or so, Thinned a 4i off the tee 240+. Really excited about the more durable cover for the new ball

gripandrip wrote:

A.Princey wrote:

Early mornings are my best rounds...

This the oddity of early morning golf for me, since I am often the first person out without any warm up other than a few on the practice green for speed and I rarely if ever notice any lack of quality of the first few holes. This is only odd because I'm the guy who if he had it his way would show up for 2 hours of practice before a 4 hour round of golf.
  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members Posts: 700 ✭✭

I was having a great few holes this morning teeing off at 7.30, this pic was on the 3rd hole.

looks like a great course!!!!
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
    For me the key to a good start is tempo. Without a warmup on the range, I try not to overpower the ball. Tee it low, choke down 1/2" to 1", and put an easy swing on the ball to simply get it in play. I try to ignore the pin on the first few holes. Aim for the middle of the green and take an easy swing.

Now, if I could just keep that mindset for the remainder of the round I'd really be on to something.
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Walter wrote:

looks like a great course!!!!

Yes I am very luck to play there, spending most of my time in Houston this year so will have to make the most of it this summer.
    • Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

For me the key to a good start is tempo. Without a warmup on the range, I try not to overpower the ball. Tee it low, choke down 1/2" to 1", and put an easy swing on the ball to simply get it in play. I try to ignore the pin on the first few holes. Aim for the middle of the green and take an easy swing.

Now, if I could just keep that mindset for the remainder of the round I'd really be on to something.

I like this. My best start ever was at Menifee lakes in So Cal one morning which was the first and only time I have played 54 holes in a day. I teed off at 615 by myself and didn't warm up and felt so crappy on the first tee being tight and hoping to warm up as I go. I ended up hitting the fairway short off the tee and hit a halfswing 7 iron to about 10 feet and made the putt. Hole 2 I hit an average drive into fairway and again stuck a 8 iron to 12 feet and made the putt. Back to back birdies.

Par 3 coming up and hit a 5 iron to about 25 feet and lipped out a putt. I haven't gotten close to that since. But felt stiff and crappy on the first tee and came away with my best start ever. God has a plan.
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 6,026 ✭✭
    sheppy335 wrote:

We tee off at first light, with courses permission. Ground crew works well with us, we dont stop them and they do their best to keep us moving. 4 some plays in 3.5 hours

My local course actually lets me tee off whenever I want to. I have teed off in the dark before. The ground crew knows me. We have a similar arrangement. I don't stop them. I don't care if they are mowing, or doing anything noisy while I'm putting. They know I'm quick and will generally wave me on while they are sitting on their mower on the green. It's a great arrangement.

A.Princey wrote:

I agree. I have some good rounds, but my best rounds are never in the morning.
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
  • Jwink1586Jwink1586 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I live on a course and often times I will go off when I can barely if at all see my first tee ball. Typically play 18 in a couple hours when by myself.
  • bobcat88bobcat88 Members Posts: 241 ✭✭
    These sunny pics are getting me through these subzero temps
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    Teeing off early is the best. The pace if fast and its usually a round under 3.5 hours.
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Newport Platinum Putter
    Taylormade TP5 Golf balls
    edited Feb 18, 2019 2:58pm #119
    Oak Quarry GC, Riverside, CA. High up near the first tee, looking down at holes 16 - 18.

20190216_060244s.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Jacob37Jacob37 Members Posts: 95 ClubWRX
    I play early a good bit. I work nights sometimes and get off at 5 am so i usually run get the clubs and change clothes and can play 18 by 9:30 or so. I like the early mornings a lot
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 979 ✭✭
    First light in Charleston, SC. How can you not like early morning golf?