Early morning golf

Comments

• garagehackergaragehacker  32WRX Points: 12Members Posts: 32 Bunkers
    I love the early morning rounds. Often play at 6am on a Sunday, love the empty roads on the drive to the course, feels like the best part of the day
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2436WRX Points: 707Handicap: 0.9Members Posts: 2,436 Platinum Tees
    Deer Island Country Club - Tavares, FL

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • golfjamgolfjam  587WRX Points: 96Handicap: 2.8Members Posts: 587 Golden Tee
    Early morning is my preferred tee time. Normally I go out 1st or 2nd tee time and finish in 3hrs walking. We play as 4some and play fast. It's the only way if you want to avoid 6hrs rounds in Los Angeles munis.
    Posted:

Titleist TS2 8.5 Fuji Evo II 661X

Callaway XR16 15 Fuji TS 7.2S

Taylormade P790 UDI Fuji Pro 83x

Mizuno MP-5 4-PW C Taper Lite X

TM MG2 50/54/60 TI S400

EVNROLL ER2

• Gilmore-HappyGilmore-Happy  99WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 99 Fairways

Early morning golf is only beaten by late evening golf, especially on a Friday.

I agree. I like late afternoon rounds just as much as being the first tee time of the day. Prefer the early rounds during the summer to avoid the heat and crowds. Only downside is it's almost always wet in the mornings here because of how high our humidity is. That makes the dew take awhile to dry up too.
    Posted:
  • greggreg  98WRX Points: 101Members Posts: 98 Fairways
    Used to play early all the time, started playing in the afternoons when I figured out it wasn't as wet. ;-) But, I try to play during the week when there is less traffic.
    Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2436WRX Points: 707Handicap: 0.9Members Posts: 2,436 Platinum Tees
    Casselberry Golf Club - Casselberry, FL

Posted:

Advertisement
  • LuvpingsLuvpings  1WRX Points: 1Members Posts: 1 Starters
    I luv the idea of early golf. But I hate the reality of early golf. Here in South Texas, we have pretty high humidity most mornings so lots of dew. Everything (shoes, gloves, towels, clothes) gets soggy and covered with grass clippings and sand. Everything finally dries off about the time you tee off on 18. Then there is the maintenance crew that seems to have a knack of keeping just 1/2 hole ahead of you. Give me the 100*, low-humidity and a dry course every time. No doubt I play better in the afternoons...somehow my mind does not equate a beeping alarm clock with pending fun. Plus twilight rates! And just so you know, sunsets are just as nice as sunrises!
    Posted:
  • msh134msh134  25WRX Points: 43Handicap: 14Members Posts: 25 Bunkers
    FLOGMR wrote:
    Could not resist posting this pic. A few of us got the first tee time this morning at a local course...teed off at 6:37 AM....sunrise was at 6:36 so when we got out into the first fairway, this was the scene behind us looking back to the pro shop.

25ZjB69.jpg

We played efficiently and never saw anyone else until we were finished.....18 holes in 3 hours 15 minutes..... I LOVE morning golf!! image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    we do this every Sunday morning in season usually play a 4 some in 3 1/2 hours
    Posted:
  • The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman  83WRX Points: 59Handicap: 15Members Posts: 83 Fairways

Thats awesome! I tend to play afternoons most of the time, but the occasional early morning round is a nice change of pace for me.

Posted:
  • Kevlar10Kevlar10  107WRX Points: 52Handicap: 13Members Posts: 107 Fairways

I play the local course near my house and know the course manager. A few years ago, he told me to just stop in after I’m done and pay. I started playing just as the sun is coming up and I walk, sometimes as early as 5:30. When I play as a single, I’m done in under 3 hours and home for breakfast before the rest of the family is up. It is so relaxing. Like a previous poster said though, the course is usually wet, so after a few wet footed rounds, I got waterproof shoes. The other issue I run into is foggy mornings, so my first couple shots need to be straight. If anyone in Northwest New Jersey wants to play, I’d alway welcome a partner.
    I also play near Charleston during the summer for a week or two and it’s best to get out before the heat and humidity rear their ugly heads.

Posted:
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole  1506WRX Points: 393Members Posts: 1,506 Platinum Tees

I like it. I also like fishing...so I'm a morning guy. My only issue now is that my body (knees mainly) aren't ready to go early in the mornings...

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400, Tour Stiff, 8*
    Mizuno Forged JPX 900 Irons
    A Couple of Ping Glide Wedges
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X
    Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Advertisement
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MO 880WRX Points: 143Handicap: 4.4Members Posts: 880 Golden Tee

I'm the odd man out I guess... I like being up early and getting work done before the emails start flowing in--Many days I can get a solid 9 hours of work done by mid-afternoon having started before 6. That allows me to play in the afternoon--when I prefer to play.

I simply cannot do anything active early in the morning. I wake up dehydrated and stiff and no matter what I do... It takes me what feels like forever to get ready to go.

Posted:
    GO DAWGS
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9541WRX Points: 3,029Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,541 Titanium Tees

There is something magical about early morning golf. It is like walking out on new fallen snow.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6103WRX Points: 1,100Members Posts: 6,103 Titanium Tees

A muggy 41° and breezy. Here I come morning golf

Posted:
  • Higgs66Higgs66  59WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 59 Bunkers

3 hours 15 minutes.. Seems rushed I'm not a morning person either. Give me a leisurely 4.5 hour round mid afternoon, followed by a beer and a burger :)

Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69  23279WRX Points: 7,247Members Posts: 23,279 Titanium Tees

Sunrise at The Old Course in St Andrews

Posted:

Advertisement

Typical morning round, been playing survival golf lately. This week: RedTail golf Club, Orlando, FL

Posted:
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook  839WRX Points: 323Members Posts: 839 Golden Tee

last weekend our group started at 7:10 and got stuck behind a few dawdling groups. doesn't sound too bad until we realized they were pacing at 2:20+ a side. felt like driving thru a one lane construction zone. to think what they did to the rest of the morning groups......found that permanent tee time groups at that course don't get hassled much for pace.
    thank goodness next weekend we start first at 5:39. can't stand slow play. better to stop short and head in for drinks.

Posted:
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • MPSgolfsMPSgolfs  77WRX Points: 46Handicap: 10Members Posts: 77 Fairways

On week days when I don't have to work, I like to tee off at 7:30 and play 36 holes. Done by 12:30. If I tried to play the same course at 9:00 AM on a Saturday, it'd take me the same 5 hours to play 18.

Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69  23279WRX Points: 7,247Members Posts: 23,279 Titanium Tees

I played the New course at St Andrews last Friday. I was the first one on the course at 6:15 am. 'Played at a leisurely 2:45 pace, and didn't see a soul until the final few holes. 'Love it.

Posted:
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British Columbia 258WRX Points: 267Handicap: 13Members Posts: 258 Greens

I think there's no better time to be out and playing golf. As mentioned, nobody on the roads and IMO there's something special about the earth with minimal humans around. I don't get first out or anything but 7am-8am window for teeing off is my pick. Done and dusted by 12:30 and big celebratory lunch right after...and the 3pm napper to boot.

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & SM7 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood
    Currently suffering Off Seasonal Golf Deficiency Disorder

Advertisement
  • 86020818602081  2039WRX Points: 216Members Posts: 2,039 Platinum Tees

6:30 tee time in Ohio.. We start off as soon as the mower cuts the first green.. It is nice to play early.. nobody front of you, fresh cut greens, and we're done by 10:30-11..

oh yeah.. you have the rest of the day to take a nap..

Posted:
  • PittknifePittknife  142WRX Points: 175Members Posts: 142 Fairways

I almost never play golf in the afternoon or mid-mornings except on league night. We always have the first tee time sat & sun, done in 2.5-3 hrs max with me walking. Sometimes we will finish 18 and the group before us will only be on 10.... I don't know what fairway roll out or hard greens mean but I know I have more time with my family lol.

Posted:
  • bburleigh0625bburleigh0625 New York 30WRX Points: 30Handicap: 8Members Posts: 30 Bunkers

Playing early is my favorite by far! I'll tee off around 6:30am and if I am by myself I am off the course by 9am at the latest, only people I have to wait on are the people out mowing the course. Plus you usually get to play into greens that are a little softer and more receptive which is always nice.

Posted:
  • Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, CO 80WRX Points: 34Members Posts: 80 Fairways

I’m not typically a morning person, but this summer I have switched it up and headed out with many tee times before 7 AM. It is by far the best time of the day to play, and can usually finish in 3 hrs or less!

Posted:
  • dan360dan360 loisible  5466WRX Points: 376Members Posts: 5,466 Titanium Tees

0608 tee off Sunday. Took our time, putted out on 18 at 0900 sharp. Was terrific.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    shopping for this gap
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Advertisement
  • RichsgboxRichsgbox  225WRX Points: 49Members Posts: 225 Fairways

Early mornings. Enough time for brunch and sober up then take the kids out!

Posted:
  • burnsniperburnsniper  618WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 618 Golden Tee

Our club limits the first 30 minutes of tee times on Fri, Sat and Sun to singles and twosomes. I can regularly finish 18 in 2 hours with a cart if playing as a single.

Posted:
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin  105WRX Points: 58Members Posts: 105 Fairways

I like a 7am time slot, quiet and cool. The other day I was out and had to walk around the sprinklers they had on yet.

Posted:
    Post edited by DrewBallin on
    In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Cobra cb/mb 3-pw KBS c-taper 120 shafts
    wedge-- Cobra tour trusty 56*
    putter-- MLA tour mallet

Advertisement
  • PulledabillPulledabill  440WRX Points: 70Handicap: 6Members Posts: 440 Greens

Love early morning golf especially on courses that have wildlife out and about. Since Im up at 415am for work, I don't play mornings as much as I used to as I like to sleep in on an occasion. I also have a twilight membership so I play a ton after work and late evenings. Evenings are nice especially with an empty course on hot nights.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.