Early morning golf

1235»

Comments

• garagehackergaragehacker Members Posts: 32 ✭✭
    I love the early morning rounds. Often play at 6am on a Sunday, love the empty roads on the drive to the course, feels like the best part of the day
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Deer Island Country Club - Tavares, FL

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • golfjamgolfjam Members Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early morning is my preferred tee time. Normally I go out 1st or 2nd tee time and finish in 3hrs walking. We play as 4some and play fast. It's the only way if you want to avoid 6hrs rounds in Los Angeles munis.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Fuji Speeder Evo II 661 X
    Ping G400 13 Stretch Fuji Fuel 70 S
    Ping G 5 wood 17.5 Proforce V2 70 X
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno 919 HMP 4-5 C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW C Taper Lite X
    Vokey SM7 52/58 S200
    Gauge Design Putter
  • Gilmore-HappyGilmore-Happy Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Early morning golf is only beaten by late evening golf, especially on a Friday.

I agree. I like late afternoon rounds just as much as being the first tee time of the day. Prefer the early rounds during the summer to avoid the heat and crowds. Only downside is it's almost always wet in the mornings here because of how high our humidity is. That makes the dew take awhile to dry up too.
  • greggreg Members Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Used to play early all the time, started playing in the afternoons when I figured out it wasn't as wet. ;-) But, I try to play during the week when there is less traffic.
    Casselberry Golf Club - Casselberry, FL

• LuvpingsLuvpings Members Posts: 1
    I luv the idea of early golf. But I hate the reality of early golf. Here in South Texas, we have pretty high humidity most mornings so lots of dew. Everything (shoes, gloves, towels, clothes) gets soggy and covered with grass clippings and sand. Everything finally dries off about the time you tee off on 18. Then there is the maintenance crew that seems to have a knack of keeping just 1/2 hole ahead of you. Give me the 100*, low-humidity and a dry course every time. No doubt I play better in the afternoons...somehow my mind does not equate a beeping alarm clock with pending fun. Plus twilight rates! And just so you know, sunsets are just as nice as sunrises!
  • msh134msh134 Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    FLOGMR wrote:
    Could not resist posting this pic. A few of us got the first tee time this morning at a local course...teed off at 6:37 AM....sunrise was at 6:36 so when we got out into the first fairway, this was the scene behind us looking back to the pro shop.

25ZjB69.jpg

We played efficiently and never saw anyone else until we were finished.....18 holes in 3 hours 15 minutes..... I LOVE morning golf!! image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    we do this every Sunday morning in season usually play a 4 some in 3 1/2 hours
  • The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Thats awesome! I tend to play afternoons most of the time, but the occasional early morning round is a nice change of pace for me.

• Kevlar10Kevlar10 Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I play the local course near my house and know the course manager. A few years ago, he told me to just stop in after I’m done and pay. I started playing just as the sun is coming up and I walk, sometimes as early as 5:30. When I play as a single, I’m done in under 3 hours and home for breakfast before the rest of the family is up. It is so relaxing. Like a previous poster said though, the course is usually wet, so after a few wet footed rounds, I got waterproof shoes. The other issue I run into is foggy mornings, so my first couple shots need to be straight. If anyone in Northwest New Jersey wants to play, I’d alway welcome a partner.
    I also play near Charleston during the summer for a week or two and it’s best to get out before the heat and humidity rear their ugly heads.

• BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. I also like fishing...so I'm a morning guy. My only issue now is that my body (knees mainly) aren't ready to go early in the mornings...

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm the odd man out I guess... I like being up early and getting work done before the emails start flowing in--Many days I can get a solid 9 hours of work done by mid-afternoon having started before 6. That allows me to play in the afternoon--when I prefer to play.

I simply cannot do anything active early in the morning. I wake up dehydrated and stiff and no matter what I do... It takes me what feels like forever to get ready to go.

GO DAWGS
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is something magical about early morning golf. It is like walking out on new fallen snow.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A muggy 41° and breezy. Here I come morning golf

• Higgs66Higgs66 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

3 hours 15 minutes.. Seems rushed I'm not a morning person either. Give me a leisurely 4.5 hour round mid afternoon, followed by a beer and a burger :)

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sunrise at The Old Course in St Andrews

Typical morning round, been playing survival golf lately. This week: RedTail golf Club, Orlando, FL

• @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

last weekend our group started at 7:10 and got stuck behind a few dawdling groups. doesn't sound too bad until we realized they were pacing at 2:20+ a side. felt like driving thru a one lane construction zone. to think what they did to the rest of the morning groups......found that permanent tee time groups at that course don't get hassled much for pace.
    thank goodness next weekend we start first at 5:39. can't stand slow play. better to stop short and head in for drinks.

currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

On week days when I don't have to work, I like to tee off at 7:30 and play 36 holes. Done by 12:30. If I tried to play the same course at 9:00 AM on a Saturday, it'd take me the same 5 hours to play 18.

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I played the New course at St Andrews last Friday. I was the first one on the course at 6:15 am. 'Played at a leisurely 2:45 pace, and didn't see a soul until the final few holes. 'Love it.

• Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

I think there's no better time to be out and playing golf. As mentioned, nobody on the roads and IMO there's something special about the earth with minimal humans around. I don't get first out or anything but 7am-8am window for teeing off is my pick. Done and dusted by 12:30 and big celebratory lunch right after...and the 3pm napper to boot.

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

6:30 tee time in Ohio.. We start off as soon as the mower cuts the first green.. It is nice to play early.. nobody front of you, fresh cut greens, and we're done by 10:30-11..

oh yeah.. you have the rest of the day to take a nap..

• PittknifePittknife Members Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

I almost never play golf in the afternoon or mid-mornings except on league night. We always have the first tee time sat & sun, done in 2.5-3 hrs max with me walking. Sometimes we will finish 18 and the group before us will only be on 10.... I don't know what fairway roll out or hard greens mean but I know I have more time with my family lol.

• bburleigh0625bburleigh0625 New YorkMembers Posts: 30 ✭✭

Playing early is my favorite by far! I'll tee off around 6:30am and if I am by myself I am off the course by 9am at the latest, only people I have to wait on are the people out mowing the course. Plus you usually get to play into greens that are a little softer and more receptive which is always nice.

• Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 49 ✭✭

I’m not typically a morning person, but this summer I have switched it up and headed out with many tee times before 7 AM. It is by far the best time of the day to play, and can usually finish in 3 hrs or less!

• dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2019 3:47am #147

0608 tee off Sunday. Took our time, putted out on 18 at 0900 sharp. Was terrific.

WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • RichsgboxRichsgbox Members Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Early mornings. Enough time for brunch and sober up then take the kids out!

• burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our club limits the first 30 minutes of tee times on Fri, Sat and Sun to singles and twosomes. I can regularly finish 18 in 2 hours with a cart if playing as a single.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file