Spieth Facing Sanctions?

WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the CornerMembers Posts: 4,828 ✭✭
edited Sep 9, 2018 in Tour Talk #1
So apparently if YJS misses the Tour Championship he will break the “25 event minimum” rule. I get that he’s made the TC every year since 2012, but how does his team let this happen? I wonder what the Tour would actually do to him? Suspend him for a Pro-Am?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/jordan-spieth-in-jeopardy-of-missing-tour-championship-violating-tour-policy-on-minimum-starts/amp
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

Comments

• FIRs&GIRs&3-PuttsFIRs&GIRs&3-Putts Members Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Nothing notable I would imagine, they will probably make him play in some less notable event next year though.
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,629 ✭✭
    I read that the fine is "believed to be $20k". Even if it were ten times that, so what. Jordan is a wealthy young man, he won't even feel it. (I heard once that he possesses some sort of VIP card that gets him unlimited free Chipotle.)

He is the most celebrated golfer of the last five years, I am guessing that the thought of not making the Tour Championship probably did not even exist in Jordan's universe while he was setting his schedule. Probably the embarrassment of this becoming a news story stings way worse than any fine.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,995 ✭✭
    Seems a little counter intuitive. The article I read said he would be suspended from 3 events. But they require you play at least 25 events? Wouldn't suspending him from 3 events next season make it much harder for him to enter 25 events? Who comes up with this s***?
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭

I read that the fine is "believed to be $20k". Even if it were ten times that, so what. Jordan is a wealthy young man, he won't even feel it. (I heard once that he possesses some sort of VIP card that gets him unlimited free Chipotle.)

He is the most celebrated golfer of the last five years, I am guessing that the thought of not making the Tour Championship probably did not even exist in Jordan's universe while he was setting his schedule. Probably the embarrassment of this becoming a news story stings way worse than any fine.

Unlimited free Chipotle?!? Holy Moses! I would be so big I wouldn’t be able to golf.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • stu_manstu_man Members Posts: 555 ✭✭
    If he doesn't make it to East Lake, I'm sure he'll pull out the Mono card and get the "sanctions" dropped. The guy was pretty sick for a while.. Probably a few events he should've pulled out of to begin with.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    stu_man wrote:

If he doesn't make it to East Lake, I'm sure he'll pull out the Mono card and get the "sanctions" dropped. The guy was pretty sick for a while.. Probably a few events he should've pulled out of to begin with.

****. Good memory. He was sick early in the season.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭
    Brandel just said on Twitter the Ryder Cup actually counts as an event
    Enjoy the chase.
  • redfirebird08redfirebird08 Members Posts: 7,916 ✭✭
    McCann1 wrote:

Brandel just said on Twitter the Ryder Cup actually counts as an event

He's only at 22 before the BMW event. So this week is 23, then needs two more between Tour Championship and Ryder Cup.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,900 ✭✭
    Lol. He isn’t called the golden boy for nothing. 0% chance he’s fined.you don’t cook one of your newest golden goslings.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,392 ✭✭
    His penalty is terrible tickets for the Red Sox game next year when they are at TPC Boston.
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members Posts: 1,832 ✭✭
    Anyone else find it ironic that Keegan is holding the 30 spot?
  • 00steven00steven Members Posts: 195 ✭✭
    Non issue
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M2
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M2
    4-PW: Titleist AP1
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM5 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 3
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
    edited Sep 9, 2018 #14
    00steven wrote:

Non issue

Stick around, you'll come to find how things like this are HUGE issues and must be discussed passionetly with in depth analyses painstakingly culled from various in the know insiders, google, twitter and flat out golfwrxer collective wisdom.

Edit to add instagram, honestly I don't know where my mind is at. So busy making calls on Jordan's behalf and working on a Go Fund me that I completely forgot it.
  • Togatown22Togatown22 Saratoga Springs, NYMembers Posts: 2,771 ✭✭
    tannyhoban wrote:

Why is that ironic?
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design AD-IZ 6S
    Rogue 15  fairway stock PX Even Flow Blue S
    Rogue 21 4 hybrid stock Synergy S
    718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
    718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
    SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
    Futura 5.5W
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,394 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2018 #16
    So you're saying Spieth needs the rain to stop. If they don't play the 4th round and it's a 54 hole event he pays a fine for certain. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
    Togatown22 wrote:

tannyhoban wrote:

Why is that ironic?

Two wrx poster children for random hate
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    His penalty will be he's not allowed to talk to his ball next year.
    Clubs are fluid
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,640 ✭✭
    md1m wrote:

giphy.gif
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,326 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2018 #20

md1m wrote:

Lol...Can you add on air commentary and referring to himself in third person?
    PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 4,974 ✭✭

So apparently if YJS misses the Tour Championship he will break the "25 event minimum" rule. I get that he's made the TC every year since 2012, but how does his team let this happen? I wonder what the Tour would actually do to him? Suspend him for a Pro-Am?

https://www.google.c...imum-starts/amp

Are you kidding? If they really wanted to hurt him they would make PLAY in a pro-am.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,605 ✭✭
    He will probably be able to get off easy by agreeing to add an event that he does not typically attend or do some extra promotional work for the tour.

On a side note, should there be punitive action taken for anyone using the abbreviation YJS? YES lol
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,394 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2018 #23
    BNGL wrote:

He will probably be able to get off easy by agreeing to add an event that he does not typically attend or do some extra promotional work for the tour.

On a side note, should there be punitive action taken for anyone using the abbreviation YJS? YES lol
    Who's YES? YJS's sibling? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 629 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2018 #24
    Is today April 1st? When did the tour start requiring 25 events? OTTOMH, I recall the minumum used to be 14 or 15. Yes, they also require a "new" tournament to be added every so often (so maybe that is the real issue with the min going up if you don't comply) but there are lots of guys who played less this year than Jordan including Rose and DJ.
    Golfing when I can.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,211 ✭✭
    Definitely No suspension, maybe a gratuitous fine. Most likely have to play some new/extra event.
  • FrostfieldFrostfield Members Posts: 920 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2018 #26
    This has to be a typo. They are not required to play 25 events

Edit: They actually do have to play 25 events if they decide not to add the new event
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,110 ✭✭

Is today April 1st? When did the tour start requiring 25 events? OTTOMH, I recall the minumum used to be 14 or 15. Yes, they also require a "new" tournament to be added every so often (so maybe that is the real issue with the min going up if you don't comply) but there are lots of guys who played less this year than Jordan including Rose and DJ.
    The tour doesn't require anybody to play in 25 events. The tour wants players to add a new event to their schedule that they have not played in the last 4 seasons. It was been that way for a couple of seasons. If a player doesn't add a new event they can get around that rule if they play in 25 events. It did not impact DJ and Rose as they added a new event to their schedule this season. Heritage for DJ. Colonial for Rose.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/12/03/new-policy-encourages-players-to-visit-new-events.html

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/07/29/rickie-fowler-satisfy-pga-tours-one-in-four-rule-106141/

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2016/10/22/pga-tours-rule-compel-players-add-events-schedules-100743/

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/rex-hoggard/tours-new-schedule-rule-making-pros-play-plan/

The new rule requires players who didn’t have at least 25 starts in the previous season to add an event to their schedules that they hadn’t played in the last four years. Those who fail to meet the new requirement could be subject to a “major penalty,” which under the Tour’s regulations would be a fine in excess of $20,000 or a possible suspension.
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    Ya'll are missing the point. Dude has a VIP free Chipotle card!

The rich just get richer.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭
    He'll be required to tell Serena Williams she's being penalized......3 times.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,404 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2018 #30

Hello, Id like a bowl with white rice, actually, make that brown rice.

And some chicken

More chicken, please. No, not that much!

Ok, black beans, no, wait! Pinto, wait, black, no, pinto!

Dang it, Jordan, just get the dang order right.

Ok, a little green sauce, thats too much! Dang it.

Sour cream?

What you think Greller?

• Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Hello, Id like a bowl with white rice, actually, make that brown rice.

And some chicken

More chicken, please. No, not that much!

Ok, black beans, no, wait! Pinto, wait, black, no, pinto!

Dang it, Jordan, just get the dang order right.

Ok, a little green sauce, thats too much! Dang it.

Sour cream?

What you think Greller?

At least it isn't Keegan, the line behind him would be out the door.