Course info in HH area

dj6627

Sea Pines courses are excellent but pricey; the clubhouses were recently redone and they are incredible facilities. It is the full luxury resort experience.

Palmetto Dunes courses are nice but a little less pricey.

Oyster Reef has always been a favorite layout of mine but has been closed for the summer. I believe they're re-opening this month if they haven't already.

My personal goto for affordable golf are the Palmetto Hall courses. Both were in great shape over the summer and have a lot of quality golf holes.

• 3 weeks later...

100% agree with Cincy_Ken on Oyster Reef and the Palmetto Hall courses. Much bang for the buck for those three.

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading down next week and looking around where to play...

Is this something new with Oyster Reef wanting $136/round? Wasn't it around $100 last year this time?

--kC

They were closed for the summer and did a renovation but I find it hard to believe they've improved it to the point of being a $136 golf course. I was looking at rates recently since I'll be there in November and December but I may pass at that rate. I don't think I've ever spent over $100 to play there.

Ok. Yeah. Good to know I'm not imagining it. I'd do HHN or RTJ before OR for those prices, especially when HHN is much cheaper (and also explains why there are many tee times available). Then again after looking, RTJ looks like it has gone up also. Sheesh... what's going on down there?

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I played Palmetto Hall this week for $55 (Cupp). I think Oyster Reef was under $90 aft 12. Oyster Reef was pretty busy. I think a lot of people want to check it out.

Whatever you do, avoid the Fazio course in Palmetto Dunes. Greens were the slowest I have ever played. Never a fan, but it really bugged me yesterday.

Ok. Yeah. Good to know I'm not imagining it. I'd do HHN or RTJ before OR for those prices, especially when HHN is much cheaper (and also explains why there are many tee times available). Then again after looking, RTJ looks like it has gone up also. Sheesh... what's going on down there?

--kC

This is peak golf season. I am frankly a little shocked how busy the island is this week. Normally its cooler and quieter. Its been hot and sunny for the two weeks I have been here. Obviously a bit windy yesterday and today, but Friday looks spectacular.

Palmetto Hall was pretty empty. If you don't mind no service whatsoever, its a good value. I'd recommend Old South. You can find deals on Golfnow.

--kC

This is peak golf season. I am frankly a little shocked how busy the island is this week. Normally its cooler and quieter. Its been hot and sunny for the two weeks I have been here. Obviously a bit windy yesterday and today, but Friday looks spectacular.

Palmetto Hall was pretty empty. If you don't mind no service whatsoever, its a good value. I'd recommend Old South. You can find deals on Golfnow.

It is peak golf season but also greens fees have really skyrocketed there the last few years. I typically go a week in the summer, fall, and New Years and comparing apples to apples the same time of year the rates have increased pretty much across the board dramatically. I think Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point were $180/$160 in the summer. Like you said Palmetto Hall is great value and off island is not as pricey as the on island resorts have gotten. I'm playing Old South in November and will probably check out National over New Year's. I haven't played there in like 15 years but the online reviews are really good.

The only time I played Palmetto Hall - AH was the 1st time I went to the island about 10 years ago. It was completely soggy with no rain for days, and the cleaning crew seemed to follow **BBRRRRRRRRRR** us **BBRRRRRRRRRR** on **BBRRRRRRRRRR** every **BBRRRRRRRRRR** hole **BBRRRRRRRRRR** .... **BBRRRRRRRRRR**

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

--kC

It is peak golf season but also greens fees have really skyrocketed there the last few years. I typically go a week in the summer, fall, and New Years and comparing apples to apples the same time of year the rates have increased pretty much across the board dramatically. I think Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point were $180/$160 in the summer. Like you said Palmetto Hall is great value and off island is not as pricey as the on island resorts have gotten. I'm playing Old South in November and will probably check out National over New Year's. I haven't played there in like 15 years but the online reviews are really good.

I live on HHI and play with my local group in the area. I agree that the green fees are higher this year. Luckily, most courses offer rates for locals so we don't have to pay the rack rate. I recommend calling the clubhouses directly and ask for any deals/specials. You may be pleasantly surprised, especially if you play after 11:00 a.m.

Oyster Reef is now part of the Heritage Golf Group along with the Port Royal and Shipyard Plantation courses. Heritage spent a significant sum on the Oyster remodel and consequently increased the green fees to match the resort rates at the other courses. The green fees are much cheaper during the week and they sometimes offer hot deals on their site. I just played there last week and the course is in fantastic shape.

Oyster Reef has a 3 day unlimited rate of $299.00. Seems like a decent deal. For those in the know, are any of the other courses in the portfolio worth a go?

Robber's Row, Barony, Planter's Row, Shipyard.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

I really enjoyed playing Heron Point when I visited HH several years ago. Drove up from Savannah for the day. Nice course, got a good off-season price, no complaints about the golf whatsoever.

Now, HH in general, and the Sea Pines resort in specific, really really really didn't agree with me. They want $5 just to drive on the property? Plus, they sold my personal information to every timeshare shill known to mankind. I still get calls.

I'd take a good muni over that rubbish any day of the week.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I would avoid the others. Not a fan of Shipyard, they sold Planters to the city and they have abandoned it. Never played Robbers. Sea Pines has a deal if you play after 12. $199 gets you both Heron Point and Atlantic Dunes. They really did a good job with AD. I now prefer it over Heron Point.

I really enjoyed playing Heron Point when I visited HH several years ago. Drove up from Savannah for the day. Nice course, got a good off-season price, no complaints about the golf whatsoever.

Now, HH in general, and the Sea Pines resort in specific, really really really didn't agree with me. They want $5 just to drive on the property? Plus, they sold my personal information to every timeshare shill known to mankind. I still get calls.

Sea Pines recently increased the gate fee to $8...

Good riddance to Planter's. Played there once a few years ago and it was by far the least enjoyable course I've played on the island. I still get crap from my brother for setting that up.

Agree on Atlantic Dunes over Heron Point as well.

I would avoid the others. Not a fan of Shipyard, they sold Planters to the city and they have abandoned it. Never played Robbers. Sea Pines has a deal if you play after 12. $199 gets you both Heron Point and Atlantic Dunes. They really did a good job with AD. I now prefer it over Heron Point.

Can't find the $199.00 deal on Sea Pines website. Any more info on how to find it?

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Sea Pines recently increased the gate fee to $8...

Yeah, $5, $8 - its clearly the principle behind the thing. I've already driven all the way out there, had a tee time, gonna pay pretty good dollar to play the course, is it really necessary to charge this? I don't see the sense.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Yeah, $5, $8 - its clearly the principle behind the thing. I've already driven all the way out there, had a tee time, gonna pay pretty good dollar to play the course, is it really necessary to charge this? I don't see the sense.

I agree. I'm just so used to paying the gate fee I don't think about it but it would be nice if they took the $8 off the greens fee.

I agree. I'm just so used to paying the gate fee I don't think about it but it would be nice if they took the $8 off the greens fee.

When you check in at Sea Pines golf, just ask and they will refund the $8. It really is the cheesiest thing ever, but they have done this for 20+ years.

Oyster Reef has a 3 day unlimited rate of $299.00. Seems like a decent deal. For those in the know, are any of the other courses in the portfolio worth a go?

Robber's Row, Barony, Planter's Row, Shipyard.

Played Barony today -- course is in good shape. They haven't cut the greens and the new grass mix made them super sloooww. Barony is a strategic course with small greens and lots of bunkers. The super slow greens took the fun out of it since we had to take the break out of all the puts just to get it to the hole. One of the guys in the group played Shipyard earlier this week and said that he didn't like it.

Hilton Head National yesterday. Good track, really good condition. Greens running nice and quick and true.

Only complaint was staff. Less than friendly. Practice tee in really nice shape as well.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Atlantic Dunes yesterday. Course and grounds in impeccable condition. Greens are perfect. Layout is ok, lots of similarity between holes. Prefer the layout at HHN. One complaint, paid $500.00 for the 54 hole deal to play all 3 courses, and had to hit off mats on practice tee. That's just BS!

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Thats odd. I played Atlantic Dunes on Friday and hit off grass. Hope you enjoy the course. AD is only a couple of years old. Davis Love was pretty limited in the routing as the course was built over a previously existing course. He really did a remarkable job.

You will have to let me know what you think of HT. I am torn on that course, but like to hear what others say. I will say this...they have the best collection of par 3's on a single course that I have ever played. Enjoy the trip.

If you like BBQ, make sure you hit up Smokehouse.

Love BBQ, but might not fit the Smokehouse in. Red Fish was over rated and over priced. Charbar Company burger joint was awesome! Really good Peel N' Eats at Salty Dog, plus bartender was one of the funniest dude's ever. Crazy Crab...ok. Fried chicken at Ruby Lee's...5 star. Ella's tomorrow. Leaves Friday, was planning to order a New York pizza in while we pack for early sat am departure. Now, if you tell me the brisket at Smokehouse is EPIC! Might have to change up.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S