Your worst match play loss?

Comments

• walter2312walter2312 Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Played in our club match play championship and was 1 under gross after 12 holes and 4 down...........I hate handicaps..........
  • qwetzqwetz Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    6 and 5. he was 6 under. it happens
    M3 440 9* Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
    '16 M2 15* Fujikura Pro 73x
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3i PX 6.5
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-8 PX 6.5
    Mizuno MP-18 MB 9-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway MD3 Forged 52.08/56.10/60.10 
    Odyssey #7CS Versa BWB 34" 
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,685 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #34
    I got beat by Nathan Smith 8&7 and I was one over par through those 11 holes, lol.

A case of Elite trumping Good😉

I also lost 5&4 to Jay Sigel in 1993 prior to his declaring and heading to the Senior Tour(Before being named the Champions Tour), where he would grab 8 Victories and earn over $9,000,000+.

I had 3 birdies that day at Oakmont and lost two of the holes and halved the third. When ya go -3 across three holes and come out of it 2 down, well, ya know that it’s gonna be a short day, lolol.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends⛳️

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • CMCSGolfCMCSGolf Members Posts: 508 ✭✭
    My worst came in a team best ball match play tournament at Good Park in Akron. The match was close and we went to extra holes, so we replayed the 230 yard par 3 9th. My partner and I hit good shots to the front of the green and had easy 40 footers to 2 putt. One of our opponents fanned it into the trees and was out of the hole, the other put it in the front bunker. The bunker sand was sparse so the club bounced into the ball and it came out thin, but it hit the very top of the pin and got caught up in the flag so it dropped straight down into the hole for a birdie and a win. Rough.
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,451 ✭✭
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #36
    6 and 5 and I was about a million over par. The day before I shot 67 to take medalist in the qualifying round.

As a footnote to this as I was forced to remember more: I missed a short putt on 9 that put me 2 down. I distinctly remember having a talk with myself before going to #10 and deciding I was going to get myself together and win the match. I was playing poorly and only 2 down, I could put it together and win...... I lost the next 4 holes and got closed out.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tbrumbeloe13tbrumbeloe13 GeorgiaMembers Posts: 702 ✭✭
    9 hole match. Lost 5&4. I’ll leave it at that...
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,626 ✭✭
    Lost 7&6 once, I was 1-2 over par, just ran into a buzzsaw. Not much I could do about his play.

Biggest win was 9&7 in a club championship final, it was one of those days where I played really well and my opponent played very badly.
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 19 & 23 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    Z585 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
    J15CB 4-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 52*, 56* & 60* Modus Wedge 115
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 847 ✭✭
    I lost 6 and 5 in the finals of our club championship in 2009. I was 3-over par after 13-holes, which won't win much, but my opponent played beautifully and was 4-under par. After being closed out on the 13th hole, he wanted to go in and celebrate his first club championship. I tried to talk him into finishing his round to see how low he could go, but he told me he was too excited to continue.

Footnote:He won it again in 2010.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    I’ve only played a few MP matches, so not much to draw on.

But paying an interclub match at our course. My opponent had never payed here before and I had been playing fairly well. I was a four and he a plus two, so I was getting three a side. Over confident may have been an understatement for me. Figured getting that many on my course I would take on anyone.

The margin wasn’t horrendous, 2 up for him, but it felt much worse. If I draw him this weekend (if I play), my expectations will be significantly lower
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • nikegalnikegal The golf swing is simple arithmetic, not trigonometry Members Posts: 1,188 ✭✭

I got beat by Nathan Smith 8&amp;7 and I was one over par through those 11 holes, lol.

A case of Elite trumping Good😉

I also lost 5&amp;4 to Jay Sigel in 1993 prior to his declaring and heading to the Senior Tour(Before being named the Champions Tour), where he would grab 8 Victories and earn over $9,000,000+

I had 3 birdies that day at Oakmont and lost two of the holes and halved the third. When ya go -3 across three holes and come out of it 2 down, well, ya know that it’s gonna be a short day, lolol.

Fairways &amp; Greens 4ever My Friends⛳️

RP
    Sweetheart, it was 6&5, hahaha. Your memory’s going, haha. I have never told Richard this but Pete told me that he was never prouder of Richard than he was of him that day because he played his heart out and where many would have succumbed to the pressure of the Championship riding in their match, along with 600+ people watching him play one of the 2-3 greatest ams ever, and Richard played his best and was even par for the day and Pete said that he carried himself like a Champion, regardless of the outcome. Besides, as he mentioned, he would upset Duke Delcher the following year in the deciding march so Pete always believed that karma was in his bag that day against Duke for the way that he carried himself in losing to Jay. I wish I had known him then, haha image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> M
  • ShankedShotsShankedShots Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited Oct 5, 2018 #42
    A couple years ago in the MD State Am I was making a late charge in the quarter finals to get the match back to 1 down going into the 16th hole at Columbia CC. Its a par 3 about 150 yards with a pond that runs short and all the way up the right of green. After winning the 15th hole with birdie I proceed to hit the flag stick on 16, ball bounces off the stick, bounces off the green and clean into the pond...

I lose hole to a par and go 2 down with 2 to play.

Couldn't make birdie on 17 and end up losing 2&1.

I keep thinking to myself, what if my ball just goes in the hole instead of the water?

I gotta say this is my worst match play loss LOL

Golf is one **** of a game boys!
    Taylormade M3 460 9.5 Tour AD IZ 6X
    Titleist 915 FD 15.0 Diamana Whiteboard 80g S
    Titleist 716 CB's (3-9) X100AMT
    Titleist Vokey SM5 (47*) S300 F Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM6 (52* & 56*) S300 F & S Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 (60*) S300 K Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Lost after 10 holes with 8 to go in the second flight of a club championship years ago. Was all due to me playing absolutely horribly (like, so nervous I could barely hit the ball outside my shadow horrible). My opponent was playing his normal game and probably would have been a net 1 over for the nine, nothing spectacular, I was just playing that bad. I think around hole 7 he started feeling sorry for me and started playing a little less aggressively but I was too far gone.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,870 ClubWRX
    As a 2 hcp I played in our association match play a few years back (for the last time) against a 18 hcp. He got strokes on all but two holes.

I didn't play my best and was 2 over par and 5 down after 9 holes. I halved 10 with a par (non stroke hole for him) and lost 11 with a par. I made par on 12 to his net birdie and was closed out 7 and 6.

There were a couple of issues with our match play format. First, there was no stroke adjustment for separate tee boxes. The white tees (which he played) are 3 strokes easier than the blue tees (which I played). Second, there were several competitors whose handicaps were obviously not accurate. This gentleman being one of them.

On several occasions I've heard him brag about shooting rounds in the mid-high 70s. Again, I didn't play my best, but 5 down after 9 holes shooting two over par kinda tells the story. I can't remember his score after 12 holes, but it wasn't very high. I think he was 5 over. He didn't make anything higher than a bogey on the front nine.

I have not played in the match play since.
    TaylorMade M1 9.5* Tour Issue - Black AD DI 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • Hilltopper413Hilltopper413 Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    5&4. Gave away a hole on the front by making bogey to go 1 down. Came to number 8 still 1 down and playing partner rattled off four birdies in a row to get to 5-up. We halved the rest through 14. I did not play well. I believe I was 2 over through 14 with no birdies on the card. It’s a terrible feeling watching your opponent make birdies when you know you don’t have it that day. It was everything I could do just to scramble for pars on several holes.
  • benlenahanbenlenahan Members Posts: 18
    Not a horrible performance on my end, but go 3 up with four to play and my opponent goes birdie-birdie-birdie-eagle to close me out. Usually can’t complain, but our team ended up losing 3.5 to 4.5.
  • PingfitzPingfitz Members Posts: 754 ✭✭
  • AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members Posts: 583 ✭✭
    6&5. I shot 71, and there were no strokes
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
  • banno01991banno01991 Members Posts: 179
    Walk in on 14. I was two up. I couldnt cope with the guy I was playing. He walked on my line, he couldn't identify his ball and he couldn't count. I should have continued and beaten him. He is antics were too much. He got to the final. I have never been so annoyed
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,685 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 6, 2018 #50

Hahaha, been there Bro, lol

Sometimes life sucks & then we die😜

And sometimes good just ain’t good enough😉

I hope that you’ve had a nice season👊

My Best,

RP
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

When I got my am status back I entered a now defunct match play tournament and drew a 15 year old in round 1. I was 1 or 2 under when he closed me out on 15 green, on the way in he mentioned he would need something to do because his ride wouldn’t be there for another hour to pick him up because we were done so early. That one hurt.
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,967 ✭✭
    My first match at my new club 4 years ago I had to shake hands on the 14th hole and got rolled pretty hard. I was nervous and got down early and couldnt mount any charge.

The not so humble brag to follow that up is that its been 3 years since I've lost a match now and have defended my match play title each season at that same club on the gross side of things.
  • shakeyshakey OvenWRX 1 Members Posts: 5,717 ✭✭
    Never really got blown out in a match but I was 4 up with 4 to play and lost on the first playoff hole. All I needed was one par coming down the stretch and couldn’t sniff one.
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w/Tensei Orange 60 S
    Ping G410 3(14.5) w/Diamana Ahina 70 S
    NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW w/Modus 120 Stiff

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
    TM TP Black Copper Mullen 2

TM TP5 Pix
  • AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members Posts: 583 ✭✭

When I got my am status back I entered a now defunct match play tournament and drew a 15 year old in round 1. I was 1 or 2 under when he closed me out on 15 green, on the way in he mentioned he would need something to do because his ride wouldn't be there for another hour to pick him up because we were done so early. That one hurt.
    Wow that one stings. Best part is that he probably didn't even realize it
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
    edited Oct 7, 2018 #55

When I got my am status back I entered a now defunct match play tournament and drew a 15 year old in round 1. I was 1 or 2 under when he closed me out on 15 green, on the way in he mentioned he would need something to do because his ride wouldn’t be there for another hour to pick him up because we were done so early. That one hurt.
    Hahaha, Bro this would be excruciating😂😂

It was one thing losin like I did to Jay but to be in the red, walk in from 15 green and then my opponent had to hang around till his mommy picked him up???

Jesus, this game is cruel😂😂

And humbling😂

Great story👊!!

My Best,

Richard
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,287 ✭✭
    I birdied the par 5 10th to lose 10 & 8....

WITB 4/30/19
    • TM M1 440 9.5° HZRDUS yeller settings all whacked out
    • TM M1 3HL stock
    • Adams CB3 4-G KBS Tour 90 molested in a thread here somewheres
    • Mizuno MPT-10 54/60 illegal for pros, ok for hacks like me
    • PING Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"

Hahaha, Bro this would be excruciating😂😂

It was one thing losin like I did to Jay but to be in the red, walk in from 15 green and then my opponent had to hang around till his mommy picked him up???

Jesus, this game is cruel😂😂

And humbling😂

Great story👊!!

My Best,

Richard

In my defense he won a US Jr Am and played/made cuts in several tour events in the next few years after that. He dropped off the world after that though, heard he’s a bitcoin trader now. This thread has opened up some old wounds indeed! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Kid had to wait for a ride home after whipping my a**. LOL.
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    I lost 5 and 4 and had a better score.. didn’t have my best that day, but when you’re giving up 10 strokes over 9 holes, if your opponent makes a par, they usually win, and most guys who play league that claim they’re a 24 handicap usually aren’t.. lol if they make 2-3 pars and you’re not making birdies, you’re probably SOL.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    Hopefully Rebby chimes in.. he was a +4 at one point and was giving up a crazy amount of strokes and lost some matches by a good margin IIRC.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • JDaxJDax Members Posts: 84
    I lost 8&6 once... It wasn’t my finest hour.
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    As the weakest player (from hcp) on our city team I got paired against the strongest player from another.

Captain told me the night before he was using me as cannon fodder, which I was.

At least I made the guy play 12 holes. Man, did I get schooled.
    WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry