ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Blades and the search for "game improvement"

QuintupleBogeyQuintupleBogey Members Posts: 16
Do "game improvement" clubs actually improve your game?



I ask this as I feel that there are 2 ways to approach golf and indeed any other sporting or competitive activity.



1. Aiming to get the lowest score possible

2. Aiming to be as good as possible



The 2 are obviously not mutually exclusive. For me the second option is the goal and the first option is simply a way of measuring the second.



If we are not playing in a competition then where does the need for game improvement clubs come in? If your average score comes down by 4 strokes by playing cavity backed GI clubs then what have you achieved?



This is the crux of my point - are we not all better off playing unforgiving blades and small headed drivers that do not pander to our inconsistencies?



If we make a bad swing and the club compensates for this allowing us to hit the green then we lose the incentive - the requirement - to perfect that swing.



This is analogous to upgrading equipment in many other forms of sport. For me the challenge and joy of golf and all other sports I play is mastering the technique and the less forgiving the equipment the more I am driven to do so and the more joy there is in nailing that perfect shot.
«13456

Comments

  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Advanced Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    Very legitimate and interesting question, yet I predict another locked thread.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 2,001 ✭✭
    Play what you want and whatever you think makes you better. Terrible golfers are gonna be terrible no matter what. The answer to the crux of your point is NO.
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Advanced Members Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Let's assume 2 baseball players have the same batting average, same # of homeruns, and all other significant batting statistics are the same.

    But players A uses a 32" 28oz bat because it helps him create bat speed, yet player B uses a 34" 33oz bat because he does not need the help. Does the difference in bat make either of them less of a player?



    I say the end result is what matters. Golf equipment has evolved. Nobody is playing balata balls and persimmon woods anymore. Does this mean that all of the pros on tour suck because they moved to modern equipment? Why do they chose to play more forgiving balls and woods? Because results matter. Does this inherently mean they are less skilled than golfers from the past?....Highly unlikely.



    WITB

    Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis Advanced Members Posts: 1,101 ✭✭
    First, welcome to GolfWRX and I congratulate you on finding a new way to introduce a topic that has been discussed 2,382 times on this site - in the last 3 months...



    Your premise is very well articulated and has merit from the point of view that pure iron shots (or perhaps a machine like swing since you mentioned small headed drivers) are the ultimate objective.



    However, if you take an alternate perspective, as most do, that scoring is the ultimate objective, then your premise falls apart.



    In that case, 'game improvement' is about better course management, discipline, not compounding mistakes, controlling your emotions, and a whole host of other things that have nothing to do with the design of your irons.



    This is not to disparage your theory. Just saying that for most the idea is to play golf rather than playing golf swing.
    917 D2 9.5
    Rotating pool of ineffective and unsatisfying options
    818 H1 19
    818 H1 23 or T-MB 4i
    718 CB/MB 5-P
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Laguna 1.5
  • QuintupleBogeyQuintupleBogey Members Posts: 16
    Well thank you for your welcome and for taking the time to keep such an accurate tally of how often this topic has been discussed - in the future I shall endeavour to choose more original topics for conversation.



    I don't have a theory as such, just posing the question of whether or not playing forgiving equipment actually benefits your skill or just your score.



    If scoring is the ultimate objective (as in competition) then of course take any advantage that you can, I was just looking at it from another perspective - one that has instigated 2,382 discussions in the past 3 months so I can't be alone.



    And I'm not disparaging anyone's skill level based on their equipment choices, just interested to hear opinions from others.



    Do you want to be the best player you can be (given your level of natural talent and time available to play) and what equipment choices are most effective in achieving this?



    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭


    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?






    There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis Advanced Members Posts: 1,101 ✭✭


    Well thank you for your welcome and for taking the time to keep such an accurate tally of how often this topic has been discussed - in the future I shall endeavour to choose more original topics for conversation.



    I don't have a theory as such, just posing the question of whether or not playing forgiving equipment actually benefits your skill or just your score.



    If scoring is the ultimate objective (as in competition) then of course take any advantage that you can, I was just looking at it from another perspective - one that has instigated 2,382 discussions in the past 3 months so I can't be alone.



    And I'm not disparaging anyone's skill level based on their equipment choices, just interested to hear opinions from others.



    Do you want to be the best player you can be (given your level of natural talent and time available to play) and what equipment choices are most effective in achieving this?



    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?




    With the exception of 'Welcome' (which I meant sincerely), I was clearly being a bit cheeky in the opening line.



    I've a set of players cavities and a set of musclebacks. I enjoy them both and the variety keeps the game fresh. I can switch back and forth with absolutely no difference in score. The single most important thing is iron design is that you like the look of it at address and have confidence that you'll hit it well. The differences in 'forgiveness' is one of the most overrated topics in golf.



    Your approach to the game clearly brings you satisfaction. That is the most important thing for amateurs anyway. Good luck and enjoy.
    917 D2 9.5
    Rotating pool of ineffective and unsatisfying options
    818 H1 19
    818 H1 23 or T-MB 4i
    718 CB/MB 5-P
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Laguna 1.5
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,152
    NRJyzr wrote:



    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?






    There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.



    NRJyzr wrote:



    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?






    There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.




    Or what I call frustrated wannabe tour players, lol....
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    Golf is a game where millimeters can make a difference....and good "misses" are a huge part of the game. If we can pin point equipment within the rules, that helps our individual characteristics, it's best to use that advantage. As it is in any other sport.



    I don't think many outfielders in baseball would choose a 9-10" glove, because that's what everyone used 100 years ago.



    Unless your enjoyment from the game, comes from the challenge of using more difficult to use equipment. In that case, put together a classic bag and have fun with it. Although it can be tough, when very few or nobody else you play with, is doing the same
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Advanced Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    NRJyzr wrote:



    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?






    There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.




    I think you demonstrated why these threads get locked 😀
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 2,001 ✭✭
    NRJyzr wrote:


    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?






    There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.




    I saw a post the other day where someone said they play MBs for the challenge they present. That leads me to believe that it’s not even golf related why some have them.
  • Hit 'Em StraightHit 'Em Straight Advanced Members Posts: 533 ✭✭
    1Mordrid1 wrote:


    Let's assume 2 baseball players have the same batting average, same # of homeruns, and all other significant batting statistics are the same.

    But players A uses a 32" 28oz bat because it helps him create bat speed, yet player B uses a 34" 33oz bat because he does not need the help. Does the difference in bat make either of them less of a player?



    I say the end result is what matters. Golf equipment has evolved. Nobody is playing balata balls and persimmon woods anymore. Does this mean that all of the pros on tour suck because they moved to modern equipment? Why do they chose to play more forgiving balls and woods? Because results matter. Does this inherently mean they are less skilled than golfers from the past?....Highly unlikely.




    I used wood bats in practice all the way through college. But of course used aluminum in game situations. I felt this really focused my attention on solid contact in practice. I think the musing by the OP is why the same wouldn't apply to golf by using blades in anything outside of tournaments or perhaps money matches.



    To take an uneducated stab at an answer, in simpliest terms in baseball all I was trying to do was hit the ball hard. I didn't particularly care where the 3-0 fastball was hit- I just wanted it to end up in the seats.



    In iron play in golf it's accuracy that is king.

    If I hone my swing to where I know I hit club x in blades 150 yards with a little draw, I may not really know what I'll hit that club in game improvement with perhaps less loft and more offset. Although it may translate to better contact, perhaps that's not beneficial if I don't really know where it'll go.



    But that's just a guess, as no matter the club with my swing I don't really have anything but a vague suspicion as to where the ball may end up.



  • GautamaGautama Advanced Members Posts: 746 ✭✭
    1Mordrid1 wrote:


    Let's assume 2 baseball players have the same batting average, same # of homeruns, and all other significant batting statistics are the same.

    But players A uses a 32" 28oz bat because it helps him create bat speed, yet player B uses a 34" 33oz bat because he does not need the help. Does the difference in bat make either of them less of a player?




    Player a is playing a drop 4 bat and therefore cheating, lol.



    To the original question, I think it's a good one. I'm a former competitive skier who grew up skiing very long, very stiff, and very narrow sticks. Old guys would ski softer wider skis and we'd make fun of them.



    Then in the 90s the short, wide, heavily tapered and typically softer skis became popular and everyone was skiing in old man tongue depressors. And there is absolutely no question, zero, that it took less skill to ski the same terrain,and to my eye few skiers developed the same level of skills that they would have in another era. I'm a better skier for having learned in the gear I did...100%.



    So, to me, your premise is sound and my experience says it makes sense. However...Personally I own three sets of clubs I tend to rotate around, MP 64s which are very bladish, JPX 825 Pros which are sort of a classic cavity, and JPX EZ, which are about as game improvement as it gets. I see very little difference, if any, in how I score with them if I'm honest. So based on my experience there, I think the whole debate is kinda fundamentally flawed, I think its just **** hard to hit a golf ball and unlike skis, there's just not that much help to be had lol.
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

    -Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino Advanced Members Posts: 2,115 ✭✭
    If you don’t measure “good” by lowest score, than how do you measure it?



    Being the best player you can be is determined by score, no?



    You can’t mean to say that you are getting better and you’ve played your “best” then go out and shoot 90 and be happy with it ?



    M2 or M3 or M4 or ...
    Some driving iron for my home Links course
    Titleist Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2 or Pings
    A Vokey wedge or 2
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,152
    Is an interesting topic, but to me golf is a game, if I want to have hard time, I go back to work and forget retirement, lol.....



    I’ll take advantage of every single piece of technology available, **** skippy! The only exception is my putter, I will continue to use my 330g forever.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • BenHoganSlam1953BenHoganSlam1953 Professional Hacker Advanced Members Posts: 1,918
    I played MP-32s last season and switched to MP-53s this season - the 53s are just as precise and hides nothing about my swing.

    However, the sole of the 53s definitely works better and a toe hit is as forgiving as a hybrid.

    Scores are still based on my ability ... my current bag fits my improving game quite well ... all that matters to me is that the equipment fits me and does not hinder my ability to score.
    J40 445 (9.5)
    X2 Hot Pro (15/19)
    X Hot Pro (20), CLK FLi-Hi (23/26)
    MP-53 6i to PW, MP-T5 (52/58)
    Ping Anser 3
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Advanced Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    Gautama wrote:




    Player a is playing a drop 4 bat and therefore cheating, lol.



    To the original question, I think it's a good one. I'm a former competitive skier who grew up skiing very long, very stiff, and very narrow sticks. Old guys would ski softer wider skis and we'd make fun of them.



    Then in the 90s the short, wide, heavily tapered and typically softer skis became popular and everyone was skiing in old man tongue depressors. And there is absolutely no question, zero, that it took less skill to ski the same terrain,and to my eye few skiers developed the same level of skills that they would have in another era. I'm a better skier for having learned in the gear I did...100%.



    So, to me, your premise is sound and my experience says it makes sense. However...Personally I own three sets of clubs I tend to rotate around, MP 64s which are very bladish, JPX 825 Pros which are sort of a classic cavity, and JPX EZ, which are about as game improvement as it gets. I see very little difference, if any, in how I score with them if I'm honest. So based on my experience there, I think the whole debate is kinda fundamentally flawed, I think its just **** hard to hit a golf ball and unlike skis, there's just not that much help to be had lol.




    Wow - I could've written the exact same narrative about myself! I'm 100% a fan for how certain equipment changes have made my participation in some sports easier and more fun. Skis, as you say, are night and day different from the old days and I can't imagine ever going back to my 203cm race slaloms - that would just be dumb. Same for my old Wilson Kramer Pro Staff (wood) tennis racquets. In golf I'd never go back to a small headed driver or use a 2-iron instead of my hybrid. So, I'm pretty much a fan of effective technology in sports. Yet - I generally don't play my CBs. Why is that?



    (Doooh! I shouldn't have chimed in any more on this thread - it's really not healthy. But Gautama's post was so similar to my own story that I couldn't resist. Thanks for posting that perspective.)
  • mahoniemahonie Advanced Members Posts: 2,366


    Do "game improvement" clubs actually improve your game?



    I ask this as I feel that there are 2 ways to approach golf and indeed any other sporting or competitive activity.



    1. Aiming to get the lowest score possible

    2. Aiming to be as good as possible



    The 2 are obviously not mutually exclusive. For me the second option is the goal and the first option is simply a way of measuring the second.



    If we are not playing in a competition then where does the need for game improvement clubs come in? If your average score comes down by 4 strokes by playing cavity backed GI clubs then what have you achieved?



    This is the crux of my point - are we not all better off playing unforgiving blades and small headed drivers that do not pander to our inconsistencies?



    If we make a bad swing and the club compensates for this allowing us to hit the green then we lose the incentive - the requirement - to perfect that swing.



    This is analogous to upgrading equipment in many other forms of sport. For me the challenge and joy of golf and all other sports I play is mastering the technique and the less forgiving the equipment the more I am driven to do so and the more joy there is in nailing that perfect shot.




    I can relate to this to some extent and agree with your viewpoint. I’ve played MBs, Player’s CBs and combo sets over time and my average score as measured by handicap has hardly varied. The biggest factor for me on score is typically how often I get to play. For me, the more often I play, the more consistent I get and my score improves. However, what I have found is that while my best rounds with CBs have been low 80s, all of my rounds that I’ve shot in the 70s have all come with MBs. I’ll qualify that and admit that my worst rounds have also been with the MBs in the bag.



    Perhaps it’s my optimistic nature, but I always go out with the thought that today is going be the day when I shoot my best score and if everything in my game is on song, I know that the MBs will give me the best chance of doing that. I can tell after a couple of shots what sort of round I’m going to have and more often than not I’m pretty quickly into grind mode just to get a score going. Even in grind mode though, I take immense satisfaction in executing a good swing and putting the ball where I aimed it and enjoy the challenge of getting the best out my game given what I’ve got on that particular day. I suppose the key is not to get too down on the bad swings (no club is going to save those anyway) and feel that the next shot is going to be one of your best.



    I’ve shot two 76s this year, both on the back of rounds in the 90s! I’m guessing that 95% of this game is the player and 5% is the equipment.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • jojjoj Advanced Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    There is no universal answer. I think it depends on your weaknesses and whether you think those weaknesses can ever be fixed.



    My buddy is a +3 that has worn out the center of his 46” driver. You can hand him the smallest, most unforgiving driver and he will pipe it every time. But with his irons, he plays shovels. Game improvement all the way. He’s absolutely terrified to even grab a players cavity, let alone a blade.



    I’m the opposite, I play blades and want the most forgiving driver legally allowed.



    I like blades because I truly believe that there is an advantage to them. They respond so accurately that you really can trust that they will do what you want them to. With cavity backs, I was always scratching my head not quite sure what I did that caused that shot. Blades for me help me to instantly know what I just did, but if I didn’t have the ability to fix the issue, I would definitely not play them. That would not be fun.



    With driver, I don’t have the ability to hit the center of the face every time and don’t think I will anytime soon, so give me the club that goes high and straight!

  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Advanced Members Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    As a matter of physics/science perimeter weighting is more "forgiving" period. How this fits an individuals emotional, aesthetic, and perhaps practical

    perception of clubs they want to use will vary. That's why club manufacturers make so many different types of clubs.
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW [font=effra, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UST Mamiya Recoil 95/110[/font]
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    Taylor Made 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Advanced Members Posts: 4,935 ✭✭
    I believe the type of athlete who is capable of getting down to low single digits or better will know if he's hitting the sweetspot whether using cavity back sticks or blades, 460cc drivers or 200cc. Feedback on the game improvement stuff won't be as profound, but it's still there.



    That said, I love to practice with my Mizuno MP 67 blades because of the feel and the precision required to achieve that great feel and flight. If I'm playing in a tournament or a money match though, I'd rather have my Ping i200s in my bag.



    We're at a point in time where most of the guys on Tour grew up playing 460cc drivers and cavity backed irons. I dont think going this route has hindered their development.
    USGA Index: ~2

    WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • BMCBMC Advanced Members Posts: 3,458 ✭✭
    The single most important thing is iron design is that you like the look of it at address and have confidence that you'll hit it well. The differences in 'forgiveness' is one of the most overrated topics in golf.



    Aviador Naval nailed it. Same thing applies to woods and putter.
    Callaway Epic Flash driver
    PING Rapture 3 wood
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    PING Eye2 3 & 4 irons
    PING i25 irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey #1WS
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭


    As a matter of physics/science perimeter weighting is more "forgiving" period. How this fits an individuals emotional, aesthetic, and perhaps practical

    perception of clubs they want to use will vary. That's why club manufacturers make so many different types of clubs.




    It's surprising how little that difference is between some models, when you look at MOI measurements on GolfWorks. The old CF4000 from MacGregor is essentially on par with the Eye2. Surprised me, anyway.



    That said, the CG of the CF4000 is nearly on the hosel, but that's another story. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />



    Britt Lindsey is on record saying they don't find slight differences in MOI to be profound or meaningful. He also says they've not done any testing to investigate the effect of those differences. Fuel for the fire for some, LOL.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Advanced Members Posts: 18,089 ✭✭
    Where the OP's logic goes out the window is in assuming that the feedback and poor results of a bad shot with an unforgiving club will somehow lead the player to improve his swing. This is analogous to finding dog pee on the floor and then punishing your dog after the fact, only the dog is incapable of connecting the two events. I'm a case in point: I strike most shots out toward the toe and can't seem to fix it. Would playing blades force me to improve? No. I played blades for more than a decade and will never go back other than maybe for a retro bag.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & Srizon U85 3U
    Ping G25, G410, or i200 irons (depending on mood)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges 
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nessism wrote:


    Where the OP's logic goes out the window is in assuming that the feedback and poor results of a bad shot with an unforgiving club will somehow lead the player to improve his swing. This is analogous to finding dog pee on the floor and then punishing your dog after the fact, only the dog is incapable of connecting the two events. I'm a case in point: I strike most shots out toward the toe and can't seem to fix it. Would playing blades force me to improve? No. I played blades for more than a decade and will never go back other than maybe for a retro bag.




    No offense, but i think your analogy is a poor one.



    That said, I tend to agree with you. It's not something that can *make* you improve. It can help, but you still need the ability to make the adjustments necessary. Not everyone has that.



    Where I differ with the common line of thought is that there's a significant difference between blades and what folks call the "players CB." My experience has been that there's little difference, if any. When you get to something like the G series for Ping, it may be different, but I've found I can't play something like that; the last time I hit a G20 8iron, I ballooned it in virtually no wind. LOL I played the A10 for a time, found them to give me nothing extra. Same with the TM TP MC. And so on.



    Ultimately, golf is not one size fits all. There's nothing that works for everyone. And, I feel any player won't *really* know if something works until they make an honest effort.



    I also think launch conditions are a bigger player in this particular choice, maybe an overlooked aspect. I had to put away a set of Mizuno blades due to excessive spin, and switched to Eye2+ for that same reason (better spin). Cant believe I'm alone in that arena.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • GautamaGautama Advanced Members Posts: 746 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I question the whole concept of forgiveness as it relates to scoring, really. Yes a game improvement club of equal loft will go (a bit) farther on an off center strike. But if I go around hitting off the toe all day, so what? I'm playing to an expected distance, not total, so the fact that one iron design goes a bit farther off that miss seems like it probably doesn't really matter to scoring.



    If you don't have a fairly consistent bad strike pattern and are truly all over the face, then what? Then with either set you're trying to play golf with a random pattern of distances, regardless of the average distance off your 8 iron is from one set to another. Again I don't think score as a measure is probably significantly impacted.



    So it must be about the consistency of distance between the good and the bad shots. How MUCH shorter is that toe strike than the centered shot. Personally, I find the consistency thing oversold. I don't think there's any club design that leaves a topped shot pin high. And if anything in actual practice I swear I get more variability in distance from the bigger clubs. But assuming it is true, then how often in the course of the round does it truly matter to someone who's not that accurate or consistent to begin with? I don't find that 5 yards or whatever difference in standard deviation between my best and worst EZ vs MP strike really affects scoring materially either. If it does, boy is it subtle. And again, I don't think it's even 5 yards.



    So where i see the "easier clubs" really making a difference is the shot where coming up a few yards short of expected distance really does matter...say carrying water. 1 in what, 100 shots? We already decided we're inconsistent and unpredictable on strike/miss or there's no advantage, so we're playing to averages that day, so it's some percent of that 1:100 that's significantly below that observed mean and winds up in the water. So, maybe a stroke every few hundred games? Assuming we didn't just club up and play to mitigate the worst miss instead of hoping for the 1 in 20 we middled that day?



    I'd definitely agree it's probably more fun to play a game improvement club when you're not hitting it like you want because it feels better, but I just don't believe or personally see that there's a significant impact to my actual scoring.
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

    -Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Advanced Members Posts: 18,089 ✭✭
    Gautama wrote:


    If you don't have a fairly consistent bad strike pattern and are truly all over the face, then what?




    The "what" is that with a true GI club, something with a high MOI, not some smallish players cavity that so many of the GolfWRX'ers denote "GI", the shot will end up closer to the target when mishit. That's the whole point of GI clubs, not distance though stronger lofts.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & Srizon U85 3U
    Ping G25, G410, or i200 irons (depending on mood)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges 
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaAdvanced Members Posts: 8,891 ✭✭
    joj wrote:




    I’m the opposite, I play blades and want the most forgiving driver legally allowed.




    Just as a point of interest. You sig has a SLDR 430 + Rocketblades.

    What are you playing these days?
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaAdvanced Members Posts: 8,891 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    NRJyzr wrote:



    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?






    There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.




    Funny that. I thought it was because of the flat earth/blade society - who have their own thread that we all play nice with and let it not get locked - who crawl out of it to come start fights before scurrying back to their safe place, where they can tee-hee-hee about all the fools playing anything that doesn't come with a set 2 iron.



    Different perspectives eh image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    duffer987 wrote:

    NRJyzr wrote:



    Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?






    There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.




    Funny that. I thought it was because of the flat earth/blade society - who have their own thread that we all play nice with and let it not get locked - who crawl out of it to come start fights before scurrying back to their safe place, where they can tee-hee-hee about all the fools playing anything that doesn't come with a set 2 iron.



    Different perspectives eh image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />






    I would call your perspective "revisionist history," LOL. Point out to me where a blade user picks a fight and tells a CB user they're an idiot for using a CB? I see that stuff from the CB side of the spectrum all the time.



    Sort of like "blade users are chumps" image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • GautamaGautama Advanced Members Posts: 746 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nessism wrote:

    Gautama wrote:


    If you don't have a fairly consistent bad strike pattern and are truly all over the face, then what?




    The "what" is that with a true GI club, something with a high MOI, not some smallish players cavity that so many of the GolfWRX'ers denote "GI", the shot will end up closer to the target when mishit. That's the whole point of GI clubs, not distance though stronger lofts.




    You misunderstood my post. If I'm hitting the same shot off the toe all day, the GI may go farther, but not necessarily closer to the target. Why would it be, unless I didn't know my distances. I'm mis-hitting it, but it's still going the distance it's going, and arguably more consistently with the smaller club in my experience. Now one can argue for a deviation about the mean benefit, ie that there's less variability from good to bad for someone all over the face and therefore a more predictable miss, but I think that's overstated too as far as actual scoring for reasons I already gave.
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

    -Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • North ButteNorth Butte Advanced Members Posts: 9,755 ✭✭


    Do "game improvement" clubs actually improve your game?



    I ask this as I feel that there are 2 ways to approach golf and indeed any other sporting or competitive activity.



    1. Aiming to get the lowest score possible

    2. Aiming to be as good as possible



    The 2 are obviously not mutually exclusive. For me the second option is the goal and the first option is simply a way of measuring the second.



    If we are not playing in a competition then where does the need for game improvement clubs come in? If your average score comes down by 4 strokes by playing cavity backed GI clubs then what have you achieved?



    This is the crux of my point - are we not all better off playing unforgiving blades and small headed drivers that do not pander to our inconsistencies?



    If we make a bad swing and the club compensates for this allowing us to hit the green then we lose the incentive - the requirement - to perfect that swing.



    This is analogous to upgrading equipment in many other forms of sport. For me the challenge and joy of golf and all other sports I play is mastering the technique and the less forgiving the equipment the more I am driven to do so and the more joy there is in nailing that perfect shot.




    Sounds like you really, really want to play blades. Go for it, you have to do whatever brings you joy. Golf is a game, if playing blades is more fun than scoring a couple strokes lower only you can say.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaAdvanced Members Posts: 8,891 ✭✭
    edited September 2018


    Sounds like you really, really want to play blades. Go for it, you have to do whatever brings you joy. Golf is a game, if playing blades is more fun than scoring a couple strokes lower only you can say.


    Exactly! Well said.

    This should be the auto-reply for any of these what should I play hand-wringing threads. Save all the false justifications and just go play golf, with whatever you want. And if you are having fun great. If not, just keep changing stuff around until you are. Pretty simple.
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Advanced Members Posts: 2,088
    If a golfer practices regularly, I do think better player player irons will help fine tune the swing, to an extent. There is a point of diminishing returns. This has been the case for me. I practice about once per week, and I hit my player CB's better than GI clubs. However, blade irons are too much for me and I get worse results.
    Driver: 07 Burner TP
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    23° hybrid: Ping G25 (rinky dink)
    5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
    Wedges 50° / 54° / 58°: Cleveland Rotex 2.0 (2 dot, 3 dot , 2 dot)
    Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball counterbalanced
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Titlest Stand Bag / 4 way top
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Advanced Members Posts: 3,781 ✭✭
    Use blades to generate HC, use GI's in tournaments to pad that sandbagging HC image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • rrowerrowe Launch Fuel Expert Advanced Members Posts: 122
    edited September 2018
    Gautama wrote:


    And there is absolutely no question, zero, that it took less skill to ski the same terrain,and to my eye few skiers developed the same level of skills that they would have in another era. I'm a better skier for having learned in the gear I did...100%.




    You are WAY off here. If you think skiers in the 80s or earlier developed more skill than modern skiers, you are out of your mind. Those straight stiff sticks you are so fond of would have you getting killed skiing the terrain being skied today. Were there big mountain skiers before? Yeah. Were they straight lining giant Alaskan faces? **** no. Equipment progressed and the sport and athletes did as well.



    Have fun noodling down those groomers tho. Are you still skiing in leather boots?



    As I understand it, blades have performance characteristics which are still sought after. No one is buying Olin Mark V's (or making anything similar) because they do not provide an increase in performance over modern ski designs.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,098 ✭✭
    Use blades to get better, period. GI irons will only get you so far and then you might start relying on the assistance granted and not forced to become better. Punish yourself and learn from your mistakes will push you to become more advanced than you once were.



    No pro ever got somewhere by being coddled and "groomed" for success. If it is hard to do and it's punishing then, you're learning.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 2,001 ✭✭
    Stanks wrote:
    Use blades to get better, period. GI irons will only get you so far and then you might start relying on the assistance granted and not forced to become better. Punish yourself and learn from your mistakes will push you to become more advanced than you once were.



    No pro ever got somewhere by being coddled and "groomed" for success. If it is hard to do and it's punishing then, you're learning.






    Simply absurd “reasoning”
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Advanced Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    rrowe wrote:




    You are WAY off here. If you think skiers in the 80s or earlier developed more skill than modern skiers, you are out of your mind. Those straight stiff sticks you are so fond of would have you getting killed skiing the terrain being skied today. Were there big mountain skiers before? Yeah. Were they straight lining giant Alaskan faces? **** no. Equipment progressed and the sport and athletes did as well.



    Have fun noodling down those groomers tho. Are you still skiing in leather boots?




    I'm actually gonna agree with most of what you said here about skis and skiers as it pertains to the top level of the sport. What the big mountain skiers do today is absolutely mind boggling (and frankly, pretty nuts.) What Mikaela Shiffrin and Ted Ligety do in the gates is equally impressive. But when I think about mainstream, average resort skiers, that's where I think the skill has not really improved, but their skiing has, because of equipment. Those skiers had no chance of true carving back in the day, but a lot of them can make a reasonable go of it with today's gear. Skiing powder was especially hopeless for intermediate skiers when skinny skis were the norm.New equipment totally changed that game, but didn't make that class of skiers any more skilled. That said, I don't think the median skill level of skiers has become worse or better in any real way, even though the top end of the sport has pushed the boundaries quite far. Where I'll agree with the OP is that being a good skier on the old gear made transitioning to and capitalizing on the new stuff silly easy.
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Advanced Members Posts: 1,066
    Honestly, blades are not hard to hit so this forgiveness argument is muted to me personally.



    I play blades for the looks and utmost feel.
    Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaAdvanced Members Posts: 8,891 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    BiggErn wrote:

    Stanks wrote:
    Use blades to get better, period. GI irons will only get you so far and then you might start relying on the assistance granted and not forced to become better. Punish yourself and learn from your mistakes will push you to become more advanced than you once were.



    No pro ever got somewhere by being coddled and "groomed" for success. If it is hard to do and it's punishing then, you're learning.






    Simply absurd “reasoning”


    I'm assuming he's taking the ****, because no reasonable person could possibly hold those views, regardless of how bias their POV is.

    Imagine if young Jordan Spieth had played FG-17s and an old Bubble Burner driver, he might have made something of himself.
  • mahoniemahonie Advanced Members Posts: 2,366
    NRJyzr wrote:

    Nessism wrote:


    Where the OP's logic goes out the window is in assuming that the feedback and poor results of a bad shot with an unforgiving club will somehow lead the player to improve his swing. This is analogous to finding dog pee on the floor and then punishing your dog after the fact, only the dog is incapable of connecting the two events. I'm a case in point: I strike most shots out toward the toe and can't seem to fix it. Would playing blades force me to improve? No. I played blades for more than a decade and will never go back other than maybe for a retro bag.




    No offense, but i think your analogy is a poor one.



    That said, I tend to agree with you. It's not something that can *make* you improve. It can help, but you still need the ability to make the adjustments necessary. Not everyone has that.



    Where I differ with the common line of thought is that there's a significant difference between blades and what folks call the "players CB." My experience has been that there's little difference, if any. When you get to something like the G series for Ping, it may be different, but I've found I can't play something like that; the last time I hit a G20 8iron, I ballooned it in virtually no wind. LOL I played the A10 for a time, found them to give me nothing extra. Same with the TM TP MC. And so on.



    Ultimately, golf is not one size fits all. There's nothing that works for everyone. And, I feel any player won't *really* know if something works until they make an honest effort.



    I also think launch conditions are a bigger player in this particular choice, maybe an overlooked aspect. I had to put away a set of Mizuno blades due to excessive spin, and switched to Eye2+ for that same reason (better spin). Cant believe I'm alone in that arena.




    I find the whole issue of ‘feedback’ and feel in golf to be fascinating and particularly how you can combine feel with correct technique. Faldo was always criticised for being overly technical, but he actually was very much a feel player. He honed his technique on the practice range and probably practised more than any other of his peers but when he got to the course, it was all about clearing his mind and limiting swing thoughts to one only and playing sub-consciously.



    This article explains how this method is taught and the fundamental focus is on knowing where the centre of the club is:



    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/what-is-he-thinking/201305/new-paradigm-golf-instruction







    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Advanced Members Posts: 15,344
    edited September 2018
    Legitimate question. The answer is clubhead design is NOT a critical factor in being a better than the average golfer.



    1. Aiming to get the lowest score possible = lots of practice

    2. Aiming to be as good as possible = lots of practice



    Game improvement = practice like those intending on being professional.



    When I took up the game at 40, I was banging on average 1000-1500 balls per week; I organized my practice sessions each with purpose and only played executive courses for some time before venturing out on a regulation course. Though I switched to blades after playing six months, they were "NOT" a crucial factor in my improvement, just my preference in tools as they fit my golf game intentions. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />



    Also, I am self-taught. For that reason, back then a relative on tour advised me if ball-striking was important to me switch to blades. His words, "blades will help me find the proper swing plane, and I believe that was true then... not so much today, as blade design has changed.



    PS; being a clinically educated professional that is a low-single-digit golfer, I don't buy most theories bantered about by Psychologists. Typically, they have the same application limitation that golf instructors have, can't teach through their bias, and as instructors of golf, don't know their limitations.
    Titleist 917D2 10.5, Project X 6C12 Tour Issue
    Titleist 917F2, 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    Titleist 716T-MB 2 iron, PX Flighted 6.0
    Titleist 716CB PW-3i, PX 6.0
    SM6 F-52*, PX 6.0
    SM6 M-58*, DGS200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1x
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaAdvanced Members Posts: 8,891 ✭✭
    ^Interesting. So this nonsense happens on skiing forums too.

    Every day's a school day.
  • GautamaGautama Advanced Members Posts: 746 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    duffer987 wrote:


    ^Interesting. So this nonsense happens on skiing forums too.

    Every day's a school day.




    LOL, indeed, guilty as charged, I deleted my rant. Leather boots indeed...good grief image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

    -Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • buzlinbuzlin Advanced Members Posts: 953 ✭✭
    OP, I'm assuming by now you've figured out why these threads get locked. It's become quite polarizing and political.



    I've played my best with MBs and subscribe to your philosophy about the lack of compensation and increased feedback being beneficial to improving. I play both MBs and CBs depending on how I feel about my game and how much time I have to practice.



    What you'll continue to see is people making personal statements about what works for them, and then people jump all over them with their own personal experience, or better yet, assume because MBs work for them that they must be part of the small but passionate (and somewhat misinformed) blade crazies.



    I again like it to politics, if you disagree then it must mean you're on one extreme or another. Many don't want to hear or accept anyone's personal thoughts if they differ from their own.
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
    913H, 19, 22.5, Tour Green stiff
    Miura CB57 4/5-pw KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 5-pw)
    Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
    Odyssey EXO 7
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 2,001 ✭✭
    buzlin wrote:
    OP, I'm assuming by now you've figured out why these threads get locked. It's become quite polarizing and political.



    I've played my best with MBs and subscribe to your philosophy about the lack of compensation and increased feedback being beneficial to improving. I play both MBs and CBs depending on how I feel about my game and how much time I have to practice.



    What you'll continue to see is people making personal statements about what works for them, and then people jump all over them with their own personal experience, or better yet, assume because MBs work for them that they must be part of the small but passionate (and somewhat misinformed) blade crazies.



    I again like it to politics, if you disagree then it must mean you're on one extreme or another. Many don't want to hear or accept anyone's personal thoughts if they differ from their own.






    I liken it to reality and physics. The supposed greater feedback doesn’t mean you’ll get better. Living with more penal shots does not guarantee you’ll get better. Of course the feedback thing is a farce anyway as all clubs provide feedback. It’s about playing golf to shoot the lowest score possible not about playing the hardest to hit clubs for the challenge with the fallacy they will make you better.
  • North ButteNorth Butte Advanced Members Posts: 9,755 ✭✭
    Stanks wrote:


    Use blades to get better, period. GI irons will only get you so far and then you might start relying on the assistance granted and not forced to become better. Punish yourself and learn from your mistakes will push you to become more advanced than you once were.



    No pro ever got somewhere by being coddled and "groomed" for success. If it is hard to do and it's punishing then, you're learning.




    I prefer to pay someone to follow me around the course and swat me up aside the head with a stick every time I make a bad swing. How can I not get great with all that feedback?
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • buzlinbuzlin Advanced Members Posts: 953 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    buzlin wrote:
    OP, I'm assuming by now you've figured out why these threads get locked. It's become quite polarizing and political.



    I've played my best with MBs and subscribe to your philosophy about the lack of compensation and increased feedback being beneficial to improving. I play both MBs and CBs depending on how I feel about my game and how much time I have to practice.



    What you'll continue to see is people making personal statements about what works for them, and then people jump all over them with their own personal experience, or better yet, assume because MBs work for them that they must be part of the small but passionate (and somewhat misinformed) blade crazies.



    I again like it to politics, if you disagree then it must mean you're on one extreme or another. Many don't want to hear or accept anyone's personal thoughts if they differ from their own.






    I liken it to reality and physics. The supposed greater feedback doesn’t mean you’ll get better. Living with more penal shots does not guarantee you’ll get better. Of course the feedback thing is a farce anyway as all clubs provide feedback. It’s about playing golf to shoot the lowest score possible not about playing the hardest to hit clubs for the challenge with the fallacy they will make you better.


    Bigg, love it. Thanks for playing along.
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
    913H, 19, 22.5, Tour Green stiff
    Miura CB57 4/5-pw KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 5-pw)
    Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
    Odyssey EXO 7
  • farmerfarmer Advanced Members Posts: 7,714 ✭✭
    Blades have changed a great deal since the '60's, when I started to play. Even the bladiest blades are easier to play than they were back in the day. That said, why is easier a bad thing? If golf is to grow and thrive, having equipment that makes a basic level of competence easier to attain seems a no brainer. A modern GI iron makes it easier to get a ball in the air, bad mishits tend not to be as catastrophic as they were with my old Hagen blades. This is a golf nerd site, and is the only place I've heard a blade-gi debate.
«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.