who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

Comments

• sspssp Members  1042WRX Points: 118Posts: 1,042 Platinum Tees

I used to play with a guy when I was a teenager. He was 72 and shot his age or better 4 out of 5 rounds and never shot over 75. He walked and played 27 many days. Also played 300+ rounds a year.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • doctormizunodoctormizuno Members  95WRX Points: 24Handicap: 6.4Posts: 95 Fairways

For you other old guys that remember the Oldsmobile Scramble, our group won our club event,

won our sectional event and went to Disney Florida for the National event. Going into the last day,

if your group was in the top 20, you made the cut and were paired with a PGA pro. We got Kenny

Knox. 1st. when they hit the ball, it’s a different sound. Hard to describe, but you can tell the difference.

Our club pro was about 30 and had tried to give Mini Tours a try. Didn’t work. Point is, he was past

Knox on most every drive. Sometimes our Pro was in rough or trees, Knox, down the middle every time,

hit all the greens. He didn’t make a lot of putts that day, but he could read a green, which is an art form.

i was hitting balls on the range next to Keith Clearwater. I watched hit about 20 balls with a mid iron, you

could have covered all 20 with a blanket. I don’t think most people have any real idea just how really, really

good these tour guys are.

Posted:
  • Les StrokesLes Strokes Members  527WRX Points: 125Posts: 527 Golden Tee

just discovered this thread. Are you saying you carry a gun in your golf bag?

Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers  2484WRX Points: 738Handicap: 0.9Posts: 2,484 Platinum Tees

I hope not, that’s a level of insecurity I hope to never see or reach. The golf course is a sanctuary, if you’re packing heat to the course please find a new hobby.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers  584WRX Points: 239Handicap: 8Posts: 584 Golden Tee

Trust me it was a joke whether in good or bad taste but I’m sorry its reality

Posted:
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • BNGLBNGL Jupiter, FloridaUnregistered  1856WRX Points: 536Posts: 1,856 Platinum Tees

Was this in south Florida for the old Miccossukee Championship?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BadkneeBadknee Members  51WRX Points: 43Handicap: 3Posts: 51 Bunkers

I play with Allen Doyle two or three times a week...guess he would qualify. Doesn't miss a fairway and from 120 yards in he'll beat your eyes out. A few weeks ago I shot a 70 and lost by 8 shots. :(

Posted:
  • KwheatKwheat Members  104WRX Points: 32Posts: 104 Fairways

Family member of mine was scratch for a number of years before work took him on the road. I've played with him first hand at a number of nice courses in Monterey, Oregon and Seattle, seemed to just be able to hole birdies 4-5 holes in a row. But at his club he would get his @ss beaten by a little 14 year old, last name Moore... he made a name for himself eventually lol

Posted:
  • timbodtctimbodtc Members  22WRX Points: 58Handicap: 10Posts: 22 Bunkers

Never played with an actual tour player but took lessons in high school from a guy that went thru qualifying and played in 2 U.S. Opens. Caddied for him at a U.S. Senior Open Qualifier in San Antonio and got a reality check. He didn't have the mental game as he blew up after one bogey on the back. The shot I will always remember was a old Ping Eye 2 2 iron he had from 260ish uphill over a ravine to a mounded green surrounded by bunkers. He actually asked me what i thought so i nervously said to lay up. He proceeded to stick it pin high bout 15ft. At 16 I didnt realize that could be done. Also played with Hunter Mahan and Martin Flores a few times in high school tournaments. Hunter was the #1 junior in the world at the time. Well at our home tournament I fired a 78 and was pretty proud as it was a tough course. Hunter and Martin came in both shooting 67's. Martin won in a scorecard playoff. Those 2 won everything around DFW back then.

Posted:
  • Jack_HJack_H Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers  30848WRX Points: 7,109Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,848 Titanium Tees

I agree with you but.... I know several who have one somewhere in the cart or bag all rounds.

i too hope to never be that scared. That and I have poor impulse control. It’s a bad idea.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan Raw  53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

around here we do get bears, cougars, lynx and coyotes occasionally. But I've never heard of anyone packing a gun even to protect against those threats. Wonder if Joe Pesci packs when he plays? Would not like to come across any Tommy DeVitos on or off the golf course

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers  2484WRX Points: 738Handicap: 0.9Posts: 2,484 Platinum Tees

I have legitimately been surrounded by gators on ChampionsGate National while walking and didn’t feel the need for one. I just called the clubhouse and took out my 3 iron and all ended well.

I couldn’t fathom that level of insecurity or mistrust.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • caeye0710caeye0710 Members  137WRX Points: 69Handicap: .5Posts: 137 Fairways

No sir. It was in the Pittsburgh PA area. I believe it was called the Myland Classic at the time, but I don't think that tournament exists anymore.

Posted:
    M5 Tour Issuse 10.5* - Tour AD DI 7x
    Cally Mavrik 15* - Rogue White 130 70x 
    TM SIM Max 19* - Proforce V2 85x
    Miura MB-101 4-PW - Tour Issue S400
    TM MG2 Chrome 50, 54, 60
    TM Spider Black 34"
  • BNGLBNGL Jupiter, FloridaUnregistered  1856WRX Points: 536Posts: 1,856 Platinum Tees

I have heard that Loblolly used to give a couple grounds employees handguns with buck shot because snakes (rattlers, moccasins, corals) used to be so prevalent.

Posted:
  • Jack_HJack_H Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers  30848WRX Points: 7,109Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,848 Titanium Tees

As a former grounds crew grunt (in my youth ) of a 36 hole private club with no homes , I can totally see the need for that. I once had a bobcat harass me while mowing greens. For 9 holes I heard that **** thing cry. Their sound is similar to a baby crying. Kind of high pitched. It was 6 am and dark. Not fun. Hadn’t really considered wildlife and I haven’t been on a course that wild in years. I didn’t really play the game then ( an employee scramble or two with a rental set doesn’t really count ) , just worked 6 sometimes 7 days a week on one. After I left in 2001 I didn’t return to a course until 2014ish.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan Raw  53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6063WRX Points: 1,229Handicap: mePosts: 6,063 Titanium Tees

Would a regular handgun be any use against a gator, anyway? I thought their hides were too thick for most bullets to penetrate.

On a few of the courses I play around here, it's not unusual to see deer cross the fairways. Tasty, tasty deer...

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

Advertisement

I doubt it, we used to use something called a bang stick on gator hunts The few I went out on by no means am I an expert. It’s a pole with shell and firing mechanism you have to get it right behind the eyes and boom...goodnight

Posted:
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6063WRX Points: 1,229Handicap: mePosts: 6,063 Titanium Tees

How close did you have to get to the gator to use that!? I mean, one tiny mistake and it's SNAP...goodnight.

Posted:

• cottermcotterm Members  166WRX Points: 56Posts: 166 Fairways

I played a round with Justin Leonard, but even more fun, played with Annika Sorenstam in a pro am. She was awesome. Really fun round.

Posted:
    Posted:

Dayummm, and it still wasn't dead!

Interesting that, anyway. I didn't know about the bang stick. Thanks for posting it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BobaDefettBobaDefett Members  52WRX Points: 29Posts: 52 Bunkers

I work part time at my local public course, so I get to play with our pros. Our head pro is a legit scratch golfer, and the 2 assistant pros are single digit. I always feel bad playing with them since they seem to just be standing around most of the time waiting for us mere mortals to finally make it onto the green. On the plus side playing with them usually results in them giving little mini lessons as we play the round.

Posted:

they use those bang sticks on sharks too. As for snakes, where do you have that assortment of corals, moccasins etc? How do you get them to sit still while you bang away with a pistol, lol

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2338WRX Points: 1,273Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,338 ClubWRX
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers  584WRX Points: 239Handicap: 8Posts: 584 Golden Tee

Just got back from Merritt Island Florida, gun stayed in the car and this guy stayed right there while I hit my Threewood into the par five

Posted:
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter

South Florida. When it was first built there wasn’t much around it. Loblolly sits against the lagoon and bordered by empty natural areas. They were loaded with buck shot I’m pretty certain. I’m not sure how often they were used. I heard this one from someone that would know and I trust.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Jeff_MJeff_M Members  15WRX Points: 21Handicap: 4Posts: 15 Bunkers

The winning score for my club championship this year was -5 over two rounds, and I think there were 3 or 4 players under par overall. I've never played with a PGA Tour pro, but a guy that I used to work with at a club was grinding mini tours for a while, pretty sure he shot in the 60s every round I played with him, and made it look easy. Unfortunately he had to give up the dream and get a regular job eventually.

Posted:
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5549WRX Points: 513Posts: 5,549 Titanium Tees

With tour professionals (+1 to +6 hdcp): A few times. It's really not a big secret--take all skill sets required for golf and put them in the top 1/10 of 1% of each category. They pretty much hit every shot with perfect club-to-ball contact and their definition of a mishit would be lost on most.

They can hit nearly every green in regulation from just about anywhere and unless they completely screw up, every approach inside 175 yards is going to end up ~20' or closer on most setups.

They also can read greens exceptionally well and have all their 'percentage of go' in muscle memory. They know what a 75% 8 iron is, know what it feels like, and know it goes 159 yards and can replicate it with almost perfection time after time after time.

Their bunker play is elite.

We are talking about a level of player here who can feel an extra wrap of masking tape and, while blindfolded, tell you what club you hand them before even taking an address with it.

With scratch golfers: Quite a bit. They're missing a few intangibles, mainly green reading, wind reading, and their club-to-ball contact and muscle memory "percentage of go"/distance control is not as refined as a touring professional or +hdcp player.

They may have a distance issue, where some birdie holes are slightly out of reach based on approach angles, or something else like their ability to deal with pressure, or something small and insignificant like a 2 way miss and inability to hit a low stinger fade that is needed on this particular setup.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Advertisement
  • eclectic tasteeclectic taste Members  30WRX Points: 47Posts: 30 Bunkers

My home course was a qualifying site for the US Amateur a couple years ago. I went out on the day before the tournament, and was paired with one of the contenders. He was playing from the tips (~7400yds), me from the whites (6400 yds). He was past me on every drive, pretty much center of the fairway. On or near every green in regulation. Ball flight and control were unreal. He didn't even come close to qualifying, the winning score over 2 rounds was like -12, he shot +2. Those guys are good.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.