who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

Comments

• Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    Yes, top am in MO played with us today and humbled us...I shot 73 he shot 65 with a double on 13....he still shot 30 on the back
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    Played one hole with Sir Nick Faldo. Par 3 - the three of us 5 hcps knocked in par 3s, he jammed in an 8 footer for birdie.

An old junior friend of mine made it to the Walker cup in the late 90s. Played off a UK +6.

Invited a 2 hcp colleague to play a dirt track course in Malaysia - he dropped a 67 with 2 bogeys without breaking a sweat. Best round I've seen when playing with them.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,550 ClubWRX
    I played with a professional golfer a couple of times who played on the Nike Tour/Buy.com as well as some mini tours back in the late 90s. His name is Justin Otto. I remember playing Riverdale Dunes Golf Course in Brighton, CO. He was a pretty good player. I don't remember score but he was in the upper 60s and I shot lower 70s. One thing I remember is home #14. A driveable par 4 at 320 yards. He was green high and I drove my ball just through the green. I worked for my lower 70s score while Justin seemed to be in auto pilot.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,261 ClubWRX
    Weekly rounds with a +3 and +1

They hit it far and always in play. But when it’s not in play it’s the short game that amazes me. Can literally get up and down from anywhere.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w, 3w, 5w, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AP3 4i, 3i Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,424 ✭✭
    Get to play occasionally with a former LPGA pro, still plays a few tournaments a year. We went to Valhalla last year. Played the men's tees. She shot 72 with a double and 5 birdies her first time seeing the course. The double was the result of a bad yardage by the caddy. Boring how straight she hits it and because she hits every hard fairway, she gets 30 yards of roll. Had birdie putts on almost every hole and burned the lip 3 or 4 more times. Like others have said, shooting par for her was so effortless and it was amazing to realize how good the round could have been if a few more putts had fell. She plays fast and is fun to play with too, so that is nice! Never analyzes you during the round, but post round, she had taken a swing video and gave each of us 1 tip to work on.
  • GMRGMR Members Posts: 1,053 ✭✭
    Bingo1976 wrote:

An old junior friend of mine made it to the Walker cup in the late 90s. Played off a UK +6.

UK +6 is egregiously good for someone who still maintains a handicap. Like amongst the very top amateur golfers in the UK good.
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,483 ClubWRX
    Played in several pro-ams over the years - Craig Stadler, John Cook (twice), and Joey Sindelar.

All were great fun, and great experience to play with.
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 5 - 9 irons AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52-08F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-10S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-10S
    Odyssey O-works 2 Ball Red
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Additional - Titleist TS3 16.5 degree fairway wood, Titleist Vokey 60.12D wedge, Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff, Titleist 718 AP2 4 iron and pitching wedge, Taylormade R7 425 TP, Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood, Scotty Cameron Select Newport, Ping Anser 35 inch, Cleveland Designed By blade putter.

GO VOLS!
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,387 ✭✭
    GMR wrote:

Bingo1976 wrote:

UK +6 is egregiously good for someone who still maintains a handicap. Like amongst the very top amateur golfers in the UK good.

Well ... They did make it to the Walker Cup.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • ArchitexArchitex Members Posts: 9
    Played with a guy that won 35 times on the PGA/senior tour. He shot his age at 68 and it looked effortless.
  • ACParhamACParham Members Posts: 4
    Played in a Web pro-am with Sungjae Im last year. He was a really interesting guy and tried to be very personable despite still refining his English. You could tell he was different than even a lot of the other Web pros.
  • jmiller2jmiller2 Members Posts: 537 ✭✭
    I've played with several scratch, plus and professional players. I have also caddied for players in a US Open Qualifier and in a Web.com Monday Qualifier.

~ When watching or playing with a player that is a +4 or better, they make the game look completely effortless.
    “He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
    “Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
    “A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers
  • socalsocal Members Posts: 36
    I’m fortunate to play weekly with a a group of guys where I’m the highest handicap out of the 8 with a 1 hdcp. Also been able to play with some pga and sr pga players over the years as well. There’s two things to me that stand out and is common amongst all these players. 1) short game is impeccable, they don’t make mistakes and if they do they recover immediately. 2) course management is superior, they have the discipline to play the percentages versus trying to force a shot that has low probability of being executed.
    M4 8.5 Tour Issue 2* open Fuji TR X 569
    M4 Tour 15* Tour Issue Fuji TR X 661
    Gapr Lo 17* Fuji Pro Tour X 95i
    TM P730 4-P Fuji Pro Tour X 115i
    TM High Toe Raw Face 51* Fuji Pro Tour X 115i
    TM High Toe Raw Face 57*Fuji Pro Tour X 115i
    TM High Toe Raw Face 64* Fuji Pro Tour X 115i
    Spider Tour Black Double Bend
    TP5X
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members Posts: 3,009 ✭✭
    I've had a foursome in a LPGA two day pro am every year for many years. Each day you play with a different pro. Beyond that two of the guys I've played with for many years are in the scratch to + realm. Lowest I ever got my index to was 4.3 and I'm a 6.7 now. I never had the short game or putting skills to get any lower. Playing with better players makes it glaringly obvious how bad my short game and putting are in comparison. Even when I got my index to its lowest ever it was just because my ball striking was on fire for a season so my greens in regulation and proximity to the hole was its best ever.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX Posts: 143 ClubWRX
    Guy that coached me and we still occasionally get together. Watched him shoot 64 at 57 (course was only 6800 yards from where we were playing). Also a friend who played the Crump Cup and a few national am events. I've seen him shoot 68. If he could putt it would have been lower. The course I grew up playing he shot the course record 63. It's so tight; if you're 10 yards off the fairway you might be in a Northeastern Jungle-type place.
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    Played with a young Lexi Thompson in Rancho Mirage years ago. Got beat...badly.
  • psunate08psunate08 Members Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I told the story in a few other threads, but I played with Cameron Champ earlier this year. Yea...it was as impressive as it looks on TV. Actually, that’s a lie, it was wayyy more impressive in person. Kid is going to be a superstar.
  • golf1836golf1836 Chopper Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Played with an lpga player. Biggest difference between us and them is they make the putts when they need them. They may miss a birdie sometimes but they make the par putts. She shot even from 6700 yards first time playing the course. I played with a buddie of mine son. The kid was in high school shot 9 under 9 birdies 9 pars.
  • kickinbirdkickinbird Members Posts: 24
    I am currently an 11 index, every year I take trip with some guys in a mixed group Casa De Campo. The one guy is an ex mini tour says he is a plus 4, he gives me 7 a side, it is seldom enough. He makes it look easy.
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,654 ✭✭

Had the pleasure of having an ex European Tour player in the group today. It was one of those where as we were introduced in the tee I thought I recognised them, name was familiar but a bit before my time. Didn't think anything more of it as the front nine was unremarkable, one over. Drives were effortlessly straight, sneaky long. Greens hit, putts burning the edges but all the scratch/plus players at my club do that.

The back nine however was the easiest 29 I have ever seen. It clicked it was him on the 11th when short sided on 187 yard par 3, he played a flop shot that went into orbit, carried the bunker and landed in the three paces between flag and edge of the green.

Played with numerous ex/current pros, albeit not for a while and I had forgotten just how casual it is for them. Thinking about the other times the thing that stands out most for me is just how unremarkable the rounds are. I don't mean that in a cheeky way but there was absolutely no dramas, no trouble, no bad shots and there were no reactions to going four straight birdies. Calmness. It is and was a pleasure to watch in person.

That's been my experience as well. Unless you play with the rare physical freaks who have crazy swing speed, it's always struck me how similar it is to playing pool with a really high level player. They always seem to put themselves in the right spots so that everything looks so easy. Nothing really stands out from the round until you tally up the score and realize they just dropped a score in the mid to low 60s on you.
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,716 ClubWRX
    shoot4par wrote:

Guy that coached me and we still occasionally get together. Watched him shoot 64 at 57 (course was only 6800 yards from where we were playing). Also a friend who played the Crump Cup and a few national am events. I've seen him shoot 68. If he could putt it would have been lower. The course I grew up playing he shot the course record 63. It's so tight; if you're 10 yards off the fairway you might be in a Northeastern Jungle-type place.

Who's your friend? I know a bunch of guys who have played the Crump.
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    Rancho Mirage...a young Lexi Thompson when she was trying out for the LPGA. I was down 5 after 4 holes.
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,531 ✭✭
    edited Nov 24, 2018 #173
    Played with a few over the years. I currently play in a pro/scratch skins game that includes various types of pros, past, present, aspiring, and club. It’s good fun and I like the competition, but I haven’t bothered buying into the low gross (there is no net) side of the game. Most of the money is in the skins themselves anyway.
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS TOUR Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Srixon Z965 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura 6M 
    Titleist ProV1X 
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members Posts: 3,009 ✭✭
    The three best players I've played with over the years:

Moriya Jutanugarn: Currently ranked 19th in the world on the Rolex rankings. 1 tour win and 19 top 10s.

Jackie Gallagher Smith: 1 time winner on the LPGA Tour and solid player for many years.

Katie Futcher: 10 career top 10 finishes on the LPGA Tour

Others of Interest:

Sara Brown of Big Break and Golf Channel fame. (Super fun)

Kelly Villarreal from Big Break Atlantis

Nicole Hage who at the time was one of the longest drivers on the LPGA Tour.

I've also played with a bunch of foreign players on the LPGA tour who've probably had decent careers but who's names escape me because the rounds weren't memorable and there was a language barrier, as well as a bunch of developmental tour players.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • castle24rdcastle24rd Members Posts: 138
    I played Dominic Bozzelli, currently on PGA tour a few times. He beat me in a match play event on 18. Then played with Gavin Hall who was at Texas and playing pro in Europe
    915 D2 Adilia Rogue Silver X
    915fd Adilia Rogue Black X
    910h 19* Tour AD DI 8X
    AP2 4-pw Project X PxI 6.5
    Vokey wedges
    Cameron TeI3
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 808 ✭✭
    All the time. Its not good for the ego lol
    Callaway
  • Cmat92Cmat92 Members Posts: 16
    I play quite often with a +1 golfer. Makes it look easy. Even when in trouble he’s never really in trouble. The purest ball striker I know.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,233 ClubWRX
    I think there are several misconceptions here:

You don’t have to hit 300 to be scratch or better.

You don’t pure everything

It won’t look like tiger at 2000 masters

Look for the guy who plays boring golf. He avoids double bogey. He birdies the par 5s. He saves par with a good short game. That’s the guy that can keep it around par and go below 70 on occasion.
    Taylormade M6 w/ATMOS black ts 6x
    Taylormade M5 3 wood w/HZRDUS black 75 6.5
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 3-pw
    Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 
  • cbrwn425cbrwn425 Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    I've played with 2 legit scratch golfers. One was my friends dad, he came out with us once and just goofed around and still probably shot an easy par. The other was a friend of a friend and a legit + handicap. His first time playing the course and shoots under par. Like everyone else has said, he just made everything look easy and effortless.
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX Posts: 143 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 27, 2018 #180
    Obee wrote:

shoot4par wrote:

Who's your friend? I know a bunch of guys who have played the Crump.

Guy whose from PA not a big name Am, but played in the Stroke Play of the US Am a few times, won a state am and also played in the match play portion of the Mid Am (Possibly). Last name Smith not Nathan.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • kstateskierkstateskier Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    One of my college buddies was a PGA professional for many years before he decided to go make money and start a family. He had a scratch handicap for many of those years. He's amazing to play with. Golf comes incredibly easy to him. Its also ridiculous how high he hits the ball. his AOA is steep too probably because he's 6'7"...

Another dude in my weekly league is a 2. He's fun to play with as well. He's very Fred Couples when it comes to swing and attitude.
    Whats in my bag:
    2016 Cobra Fly Z+ driver, graphite shaft
    2016 Cobra Fly Z 3 wood, graphite shaft
    Adams Tight Lies, 5 fairway wood, steel shaft
    Fly Z irons, 5-GW, +3 upright, 1/2" short, graphite shafts
    Vokey wedges M grind, 50', 56' 60'
    Omen Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
    Srixon Soft white pure white golf ball or Calloway Super Soft