2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Chattanooga Private Membership Options

keeponlivin

Chattanooga GCC is pretty good after the re-do and the showers in the locker room are amazing. Honors is super special, but it doesn’t feel like there are a ton of local members.

I haven’t been to Lookout (I live in Minneapolis, but have been down there some), but it seems very cool. A little further from downtown, obviously, than some of the other options, but it is hard to go wrong with a Raynor.

And you are going to be close to Sweetens Cove, which is super sweet and very fun.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W: TaylorMade Sim Titanium

Irons: PXG XP Gen 5 Steelfiber shafts
Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy II 50 degrees. Vokey SM9 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

The Honors is pretty impossible to join. Like very impossible.

Black Creek is really nice as is CHATT cc.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I believe you have to be asked to join The Honors. Its a lot like Augusta in that respect.

That is correct.

Really depends on your budget. My normal rotation of golf is Council Fire, Cleveland Country Club and The Honors. I have played Black Creek about 3 years ago and have yet to play Chattanooga Country Club. I should be playing there in the next month. Everyone I talk to have nothing but good things to say about Chattanooga Country Club but it is on the pricier side of things. If you want some honest opinions just pm me and I will tell you MY opinion of the courses. Also depends on where you live as some people have obviously let the cat out of the bag and told everyone that Chattanooga is a cool place to live and traffic is getting heavier. The other big question is do you have a wife and kids or no?

That’s my problem with Chatt. When I’m there for work, there are too many private options and not enough public.

Council Fire and Harrison Bay are about the only two decent places to play. Also the mountain course. Starts with a C. Can’t remember the name. Great food at the turn. Someone can help me on that.

Canyon Ridge?
thanks that’s it. Canyon Ridge and Council Fire are the only two nice options to me for public golf. There is a place in Cohutta, GA that was nice but can’t remember it’s name either, ha

I usually just drive back to Sweetens Cove

Destroyer, just curious, what are the guest fees at The Honors?

I've only ever paid my caddie fee there, which is $80 per bag. You also pay $80 if you ride...that policy is there to protect the caddie program and keep it strong. Almost everyone chooses to walk with a caddie.

I don't think the guest greens fee is all that awful...north of $150, south of $200?

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Canyon Ridge?
thanks that’s it. Canyon Ridge and Council Fire are the only two nice options to me for public golf. There is a place in Cohutta, GA that was nice but can’t remember it’s name either, ha

Minarets, Council Fire is private, kind of pricey private. and the course in cohutta, ga is nob north golf course. i think it's a fun course and they just changed their greens over.

Moving to Chatty soon and looking for a private club any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Black Creek might be a no brainer for me but just wanna hear if there are other better options.

Thanks

I've lived here my entire life, approaching my 50th birthday.

If I was going to join a club tomorrow I'd join Black Creek. I love the course, I take lessons with the pro, and the newish clubhouse is a great benefit to that community. It's a value as priced and the membership is solid and stable. You may feel like a bit of an outsider at first if you don't live in the neighborhood, but it's easy to meet people. Definitely it is the best combination of course, facilities, affordability and friendly membership.

All that said, there's an issue with traffic between Lookout Valley/Black Creek and everywhere else. The interstate that goes out that way is only four lanes, and it needs to be eight. Unfortunately, there's a mountain and RR tracks on one side and the river on the other. Traffic through that bottleneck is awful now and only getting worse. You can get off the interstate and go over the foot of Lookout, and usually it's faster, but not always.

Chattanooga G&CC is "the country club" as far as most people are concerned. Personally, I don't like it. The course is always expertly conditioned but it's rather boring and both nines end on a par three. The membership is exactly what you expect when you think of an old school expensive country club. That's not my style and I don't want to live that life. I heard they just completed a membership drive and now have a waiting list. It is very convenient, and they have a new pool complex that is pretty awesome, plus a workout facility that is comparable to the gym you'd find in a nice resort. The food is good. If you want to be a part of a scene, that's where you'll find it.

Council Fire is a great course. If I lived out in that area I'd be more tempted by it. The clientele there is full of self-made people and many serious players, and it can be a little intimidating socially. They have a great practice area, but I don't think they have a pool as a part of the club. This is the club most likely to find inebriated single handicaps playing for a hundred bucks a hole.

Windstone is a semi-private club not far from Council Fire. It's kind of a watered-down country club experience. There's a pool and a restaurant and the course is well-maintained with a lot of variety.

If you live on Lookout Mountain the club up there is worth checking out. If you don't live on Lookout Mountain, avoid it. I could explain in more detail but once you've lived here a while you'll understand.

I live on Signal Mountain but I don't belong to the SMGCC. The course is okay but the layout is compromised. Conditions are marginal through May and get dicey again by October so the prime playing season is short. The membership is older. The pool is okay, nothing special. The practice areas are marginal. The food and beverage and general management of the club is not good. It's been a revolving door for as long as I can recall, with members getting all excited about a new chef or new GM every year and then gradually sliding back into discontent. Rinse and repeat. If my family had any interest in playing golf I might join, but it's just me, and though I live a couple miles from the club I don't consider it to be worth my money.

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Canyon Ridge?

Minarets, Council Fire is private, kind of pricey private. and the course in cohutta, ga is nob north golf course. i think it's a fun course and they just changed their greens over.

Apparently Nob North is now open with the new greens. Have you played them?

Canyon Ridge is closed for significant renovations and the plan is for it to reopen in Spring 2019 as a private or semi-private course. We'll see how that works...my guess is that they'll still accept outside bookings because it's so remote. They are planning to build a resort and spa there and the greens fees will be going up for sure. OTOH they are fixing all the things I disliked about the original layout so I'll still look forward to playing it from time to time.

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

me05501 gave you pretty much a detailed review of the clubs here in town. i completely forgot about windstone. always had fun when i played there but they used to host too many damn tournaments, don't know if that has changed. council fire does have a pool. members seem ok but i am not a fan of some of the staff there. i do not want to get into that on a public forum. chattanooga country club is an old school club. lots of lawyers, business people who work down town and use it for lunches, meetings, etc.

and no i have not played nob north yet

Canyon Ridge?

Wow. Never knew. Played twice and just called out there and asked for a tee time and no questions were asked. I assumed it was a nicer public course. Lol.

Nob North was it, again, thanks. It was a fun layout and had nice carts with GPS. played there twice as well and no one was out there either time.

I've only ever paid my caddie fee there, which is $80 per bag. You also pay $80 if you ride...that policy is there to protect the caddie program and keep it strong. Almost everyone chooses to walk with a caddie.

I don't think the guest greens fee is all that awful...north of $150, south of $200?

I played Detroit golf Club earlier this summer, and my big regret is not taking the caddie. There was a miscommunication about what we were paying, and I ended up paying full guest fee, and in the confusion, all of a sudden we were in carts. Looking back, I would have much preferred a caddie for several reasons.

Glad to hear the Honors is keeping that going. It's difficult these days with all the different rules and laws, and the cost can be prohibitive for most, but a good caddie really adds to the experience. Particularly so you can live out the saying(I think it was Trevino), "Happiness is a long walk with a putter."

I played Detroit golf Club earlier this summer, and my big regret is not taking the caddie. There was a miscommunication about what we were paying, and I ended up paying full guest fee, and in the confusion, all of a sudden we were in carts. Looking back, I would have much preferred a caddie for several reasons.

Glad to hear the Honors is keeping that going. It's difficult these days with all the different rules and laws, and the cost can be prohibitive for most, but a good caddie really adds to the experience. Particularly so you can live out the saying(I think it was Trevino), "Happiness is a long walk with a putter."

Maintaining a great caddie program was critical to the man who founded the club. They treat caddies very well and many of the caddies are long-term employees.

It helps that the club is closed for a stretch of several months. One of the guys who looped for me has a farm. He focuses on the farm while the club is closed, and works 4-5 days a week when the club is open.

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Polly Boyd Scholarship

Over the past 19 years, over 145 college scholarships have been awarded to those caddies or employees at The Honors Course by demonstrating high quality work ethic and attitude. Applicants are interviewed and qualified by indications of leadership, motivation, ambition, character, the potential to complete college and any financial need.

This scholarship program allows The Honors Course to attract aspiring young citizens with the desire and goal to succeed in life. Contributions to the Polly Boyd Scholarship are welcomed and appreciated.

hope this answers your question bluefan

Thank you everyone for the info! Looking forward to life in the Chatty and by the sounds of it I am really going to like Black Creek. I played the track the other day and was really impressed by the design even with punched greens I had fun cant wait to putt on em once they are all healed up. Also cant wait to be playing Sweetens on a regular basis!

Polly Boyd Scholarship

Over the past 19 years, over 145 college scholarships have been awarded to those caddies or employees at The Honors Course by demonstrating high quality work ethic and attitude. Applicants are interviewed and qualified by indications of leadership, motivation, ambition, character, the potential to complete college and any financial need.

This scholarship program allows The Honors Course to attract aspiring young citizens with the desire and goal to succeed in life. Contributions to the Polly Boyd Scholarship are welcomed and appreciated.

hope this answers your question bluefan

Thanks. That is pretty impressive they can run their own program.

Am I correct in assuming this is a national membership club, or is it fairly local?