Which club in your bag was the biggest waste of money?

BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
For me it's the fli-hi Mizuno 3 iron that I added to my JPX 900 forged iron set. I can really swing the 4 iron. I added this other Mizuno club and, so far, it hasn't produced very well for me. Haven't given up on it yet. It's not a total bust, but given the price of this one iron, I'd consider the biggest financial bust in my bag. What club (that you carry now) was your biggest financial bust?
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Ping G400 5-wood
Srixon Z Star
Maker's Mark

Comments

• Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,527 ClubWRX
    Taylormade M2 3HL - face is so deep is tough to hit off the deck, and launches too high to be an effective tee club.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 955 ✭✭
    Maybe my 3 wood. I spent awhile trying to find it used, gave up, bought it new and discounted, then found it used a day later for $80 less.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭
    How is buying clubs a waste of money?
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Posts: 542 ✭✭
    Was a Titleist 816 H1. Line drives all day long. Not the club's fault, I hit hybrids terribly
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 1,976 ClubWRX
    20 degree 5 wood. Carried it one round. What a joke. I wanted a club for long par 3’s that required all carry. It flies so high and gets caught in the wind with all the backspin. I can almost hit my 5 iron same distance. Looks pretty though.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,807 ✭✭
    None. But I've had a few busts over the years.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 1,987 ✭✭
    TM P790 gap wedge was my hurt for the last 10 rounds. I couldn’t get it to be consistent in terms of yardage. I flush one it’s over the green, take an easy flighted swing and I’m short...just not anything like my former JPX900 gap wedge so I dumped her last week and picked up the new Blue Ion Mizzy S18 50.07 and hit all but one of my targets today, that was one loose swing. Feeling good now but man I hurt some rounds.

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno ST190TS 15/ Fuji Speeder TR 757S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX 919F 4-9/ Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX 919T PW/ Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 50&56/ Modus 120S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    SeeMore M1B 31" CS/ Conti Golf Satin Black Shaft/ SS Slim 3.0 CC

• JPX900 3 hybrid, hit my 4 iron further on most days, it's only really useful if i need height or want to dink something out from under a tree. Like above, i just don't seem to hit my hybrid well most of the time, used too, but too much iron practice has ruined my ability to hit hybrid!
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Posts: 883 ✭✭
    Bomber_11 wrote:

Taylormade M2 3HL - face is so deep is tough to hit off the deck, and launches too high to be an effective tee club.

Yes that high launch problem. You would have thought TM might have warned us that might be an issue with this club....I am serious by the way! I had one and agree with both your observations. high Launch clubs ned to launch lower image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Posts: 883 ✭✭
    Ive got a G400 3 crossover that is a perfect match for my full G400 Driver to LW set. Its an extra club - No 15 - and I am not sure what to do with it or what to replace with it. It sits in the garage lonely and gathering dust
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 Members Posts: 422 ✭✭
    The multiple hybrids and fairway woods I've tried in the past few years. It's not the equipment, it's my skill level. I now use a strong 3 wood on the tee for tight par 4's only and use a 3i for second shots on par 5's. Overall I score better using the latter approach.
    Ping G400 Max 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Ping G400 2H 17* Alta 7s
    Irons/wedges - TBD
    Toulon Columbus 34" CG custom matte black/Carolina blue
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • jaffabelljaffabell Members Posts: 62
    Titleist 716 tmb 3 iron. Wanted to love it as I'm a titleist hoe, tried it with 2 shafts too. Thing was so hard off the face, no feel. Sold it and bought a srixon z565 3 iron, that thing is so much nicer to hit! Half the price too, perfect driving iron
  • OpinderOpinder Banned Posts: 422

I spend 2 irons blade forged...waste time. I stick cavity back 2 iron....later waste time. I want classic 4 wood 17 loft is good fit my bag.

I hate iron hybird 18 loft shape look funny. Wasted

I've a problem ego!

• rxk9fanrxk9fan Posts: 731 ✭✭
    Went into a summer funk and I knew new irons was the remedy. X Forged with SteelFiber was the answer for a few weeks, then P770 with Steelfiber came to the rescue. Had a strong month or two and then the big swoon came. Then came my second Trackman fitting of the year and we built the perfect iron set for me using the TM P750 this time. Took them to the range and after one small bucket of balls I went home and boxed all 3 sets up and sent them to Dallas Golf. So, instead of golfing I wasted the summer with 3 sets of irons testing and playing and changing while my HC went no-where!

Last week went with some very used Ping i200's with modus shafts without even hitting them. They were cheap and some of them even say "demo" on the grip ends LOL. First 9 with them was so-so but shot 79. Yesterdays round was at a tougher and longer course. I was one over on the front and 2 birdies on each side and barely missed a few more that could have put that number to 6 (greens aerated last week).

So my biggest waste is a toss up between the two fittings that I am not using a sing club from or the 3 sets of irons that I am not using a club from. I guess what trumps those two however is the time I wasted tinkering vs working on my game this year. Next year, I am going to play golf I think instead of HO clubs!
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro with Recoil F4
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!
  • Gorris317Gorris317 Members Posts: 53
    I would say my driver at the moment. Upgraded to an XR16 driver. The shaft that is in the driver loads too much according to my instructor and it is costing me during rounds. I don't get a consistent shot shape and have no idea where my misses are going to go. Had multiple rounds where I could of broke 90 this year but had issues getting off the tee.

That driver wont be in the bag at the beginning of the year.
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Does a basement full of putters count?

How 'bout failed shaft experiments?
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,602 ✭✭
    It would have to be putter for me

not cause I think it's wasted money, but that's where I spend the most, and have the most of

My irons have been in the bag for years now, same with wedges (updated when my grooves go)

3 wood, and hybrid changed not too often.

Have way too many putters, so that gotta be the choice
    Yadi for President
  • Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX Posts: 1,912 ClubWRX
    evoviiiyou wrote:

TM P790 gap wedge was my hurt for the last 10 rounds. I couldn’t get it to be consistent in terms of yardage. I flush one it’s over the green, take an easy flighted swing and I’m short...just not anything like my former JPX900 gap wedge so I dumped her last week and picked up the new Blue Ion Mizzy S18 50.07 and hit all but one of my targets today, that was one loose swing. Feeling good now but man I hurt some rounds.

Have to agree on this. Love the 5-P, but replaced the AW with a Glide Stealth 50 bent to 49 and all is good again.

• howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 717 ✭✭
    My duplicates. Which doesn't strictly answer the question, but I don't consider any of the clubs actually in the bag a waste of money, it's all the other ones. Let's say I have a club I really like, say, my Ping G25 4 wood. I see the same club in great shape on BST and think, well, if something happens to my 4W I won't be able to replace quickly it for that . . .

Problem is, I'll replace the favorite 4W with something else long before the backup sees any play. And so it goes.
  • Jeri6gtJeri6gt Friday Hacker Posts: 271
    Getting a new D+ and S+ shaft to try in my driver only to stay w my OG whiteboard.
    All Titliest all the time

915 D2 10.5 S blue board
    915F 16.5 S blue board
    910F 19 S Kali
    718 TMB 4 PXi 6.0
    714 AP2 5-9 PX 5.5
    SM6 46, 50 PX 6.0(8iron)
    SM5 54, 58 PX 6.5(8iron)
    Scotty Newport 2
    ProV1x
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 3,983 ✭✭

My duplicates. Which doesn't strictly answer the question, but I don't consider any of the clubs actually in the bag a waste of money, it's all the other ones. Let's say I have a club I really like, say, my Ping G25 4 wood. I see the same club in great shape on BST and think, well, if something happens to my 4W I won't be able to replace quickly it for that . . .

Problem is, I'll replace the favorite 4W with something else long before the backup sees any play. And so it goes.

+1 to this. I have done this FAR too many times.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • jslane57jslane57 Members Posts: 3,929 ✭✭
    Without a doubt, the driver. Why? It cost so much more than any of the other clubs, and in truth all the modern ones I've spent $$$ on are simply not much better than the TaylorMade R580XD that's been in the garage for years.
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Posts: 298 ✭✭
    The Heavenwood is definitely the least bang for buck club in my bag. I only use it on a couple very specific shots on a couple of holes at my home course. And honestly, I could probably substitute another club without much difference.

I guess that's what the 14th club is for, though, right?
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy driver, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 Wood
    Callaway Great Big Bertha Heavenwood
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip
  • SetTheBarrHighSetTheBarrHigh DallasClubWRX Posts: 3,918 ClubWRX
    I don't know that I've ever kept a club in the bag that I considered a waste of money. I have a long list of failed experiments that were sold after one round though..
    Instagram @SetTheBarrHigh

What's In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus 9°
    Titleist TS2 16.5°
    Mizuno CLK 19°
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-P
    Mizuno T7 52°, Titleist SM7 58°
    Titleist Studio Stainless Mid Sur
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Probably my 5 Wood, as it just never sees any time in the bag. Launches far too high and I'm more confident with my 2 iron off the tee.
    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,433 ✭✭
    The one between my ears...
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    Markrip wrote:

How is buying clubs a waste of money?
    When you should have spent it on a club that would work better than the one you bought.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Posts: 910 ✭✭
    edited Sep 16, 2018 #29
    Did not keep it in bag, Scotty Cameron golo 5, great club .... wrong for me
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,035 ✭✭
    Always make a point to trade off clubs when buying new, hate paying full retail price, and see no reason to have extra or clubs gathering dust.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • golf9596golf9596 Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    Any club that starts with a "p" and ends with a "R".....
    Driver Ping G410-Tensei Orange-70-S
    3 Wood M6 Project-X 75-S
    TM Stage 2 #3 Hybrid-Speeder-S
    Srixon Z-Blades 4-PW LZ-6.0
    Putter.....Odyssey #1 wide Stroke Lab 33.5"
    Vokey Custom 52* SM7......Mac Daddy PM..58*
    Jones Original
    Pro V 1 (2017)