Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Old faithfuls!

scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Not done a witb before but I'm at home with a sick daughter and in my boredom I've taken some pictures. I'm not into really up to date equipment, I've tried them but I always end up back with this set up.... And now I ain't got anything else!

So he goes:

Driver - Srixon WR regular 10.5 cut down 3/4"..im only 5ft 6". No idea how long I've had this but it works so it ain't changing

Hybrid - g20 20 degree and again regular

Irons - ping eye2+ 4-sw jz shafts and I got hold of some of those lined grips a few years back... Still feel good.

Putter - Taylormade monza. Like my driver is getting on but the thing works and I'm too scared to change... Put I nice thick grip on it a few years back and it felt better.

Headcovers - both bought by my kids so they're always on

Bag - Callaway, was given to me by my work colleague who didn't want it. Cracking bag.

Towel - Ping and boy it must be 30 years old now ha ha!

I know they're getting on but they work and I haven't to money to change... I manage I hack it round in high 70s most weeks so that's good enough for me. Hope you enjoy, ta nick

Comments

• BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing at all wrong with that set up---- Play what works no matter the brand or age
    They can not play too shabby for you with a 5 Hdcp. LOL you are correct about the towel it is a classic. One of our other members from over on the Classic forum posted his WITB on here and he also plays Eye2s. IMHO even though I am a dyed in the wool classic blade man I will say the Eye 2 is one classic timeless design. On the putter if you find one you can putt with again it does not matter the brand or vintage it is

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Irons 3 thru PW KZG Teardrop ( 2009) Forged CB 5.5 Rifle Flighted
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock
    Putter (for now) TM Rosa Daytona AGSI insert

• scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BIG STU wrote:

Nothing at all wrong with that set up---- Play what works no matter the brand or age
    They can not play too shabby for you with a 5 Hdcp. LOL you are correct about the towel it is a classic. One of our other members from over on the Classic forum posted his WITB on here and he also plays Eye2s. IMHO even though I am a dyed in the wool classic blade man I will say the Eye 2 is one classic timeless design. On the putter if you find one you can putt with again it does not matter the brand or vintage it is

Cheers, an ex Bobby now retired once told me that you never change 2 things in golf... A driver that goes straight and a putter that holes puts. That was over 25 years ago and I still use that advice today. In the end the eye 2s are just my favourite club of all time, and when I plat crap I still enjoy the fact I have them in the bag
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not done a witb before but I'm at home with a sick daughter and in my boredom I've taken some pictures. I'm not into really up to date equipment, I've tried them but I always end up back with this set up.... And now I ain't got anything else!

So he goes:

Driver - Srixon WR regular 10.5 cut down 3/4"..im only 5ft 6". No idea how long I've had this but it works so it ain't changing

Hybrid - g20 20 degree and again regular

Irons - ping eye2+ 4-sw jz shafts and I got hold of some of those lined grips a few years back... Still feel good.

Putter - Taylormade monza. Like my driver is getting on but the thing works and I'm too scared to change... Put I nice thick grip on it a few years back and it felt better.

Headcovers - both bought by my kids so they're always on

Bag - Callaway, was given to me by my work colleague who didn't want it. Cracking bag.

Towel - Ping and boy it must be 30 years old now ha ha!

I know they're getting on but they work and I haven't to money to change... I manage I hack it round in high 70s most weeks so that's good enough for me. Hope you enjoy, ta nick

Brother, dont know if id change a single thing even with the money.
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5 /  g400 15.5* | tensei white 80tx  /  p790 20*, 24* | x100  /  919tour 4-9 | x100  /  md3 46*8 | x100  /  sm6 52*8, 56*8, 60*4 | x100 ti  /  red X3

• 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NCClubWRX Posts: 1,921 ClubWRX
    Older Srixon drivers don't get the credit they deserve. I currently have a ZR-30 on the way from Japan. Srixon led the way when it came to different bulge/roll on the face to control off center hits (twist face) as well as using very complex variable face thickness for ball speed. They keep everything under the hood and under the radar. The soles can get busy but the top of the drivers always looks classic.
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 640 ClubWRX
    The Monza is very underrated... I gamed a Mezza Monza when they were first released and if I could find one in decent shape I could see gaming it now
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
    03trdblack wrote:

Older Srixon drivers don't get the credit they deserve. I currently have a ZR-30 on the way from Japan. Srixon led the way when it came to different bulge/roll on the face to control off center hits (twist face) as well as using very complex variable face thickness for ball speed. They keep everything under the hood and under the radar. The soles can get busy but the top of the drivers always looks classic.

That's what I like the most, it's very classics looking at address
    jwhite86 wrote:

The Monza is very underrated... I gamed a Mezza Monza when they were first released and if I could find one in decent shape I could see gaming it now

Mine is well beaten up and I keeping looking for a newer one but they're hard to find
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 17, 2018 #9
    Viva la Eye 2 irons! Nice bag!

Here's mine except I added a PING Chipo and an old A Blade putter.

20180914_125824.jpg
    Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Tour Edge HL 3w, 7w
    Adams A12OS 6h
    PING i3+ 6-SW
    Toulon Lotus M203

• MoaningMMoaningM Members Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive got that exact same towel as well, boight for me one christmas back in the late 80’s! Still use it as well!
  • Scratch_72Scratch_72 Members Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭
    Love seeing the old sticks in the bag because they work.
    Callaway GBB 9° UST Proforce V2
    TEE XCG7 15°Aerotech SS65
    Adams XTD Ti 20° & 23° MRC Tensei Blue
    Ping G5 5-7 Nippon NS Pro 8950
    Ping i5 8-UW Nippon NS Pro 8950
    Ping Tour Gorge 54° & 58° CFS
    Ping Karsten TR Pal or Yes! Tracy or Odyssey White Hot XG7 or...

I've had a few additions.... Firstly, my classic bag. Love it, my wife bought it me back in April for my birthday as she knew I was after one or a classic bag. It's smaller which I like as I only carry 11 clubs and it fits in my locker miles better.
    Then I found a ping myday putter... It was black when I found it but its amazing what coke can do... I'll take a picture soon. Also the hybrid has gone, sorry but I'm rubbish with hybrids so I've put my 23 degree 7-wood back into play. So my vintage bag is more or less done... Well they are my clubs full stop

• staysober for golfstaysober for golf Low carb guy Members Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!!!

7.5* M3 440,  CK PR S. (44.75")
    14.2 * 915 FD, 70+ S. (42.5")
    18* Epic Stock S. (40.5")
    4 Epic & 5i  Epic Pro, Stock S. 
    X2H Pro 6-PW, Stock S. 
    56* X forged, Stock S.
    Odys wide b/w 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights