M3 Or M4 Fairway wood?

LakersLakers Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
I have the M3 HL FW and seem to be getting along with it OK. It has a great feel to it when struck in the middle. It goes a mile. I had the 15 degree a while back and it went really really far - like right with my driver far (almost). My miss with the M3 is a little leak to the right. I've messed with the weight and the settings already. The look at address is throwing me off as well. The M4 looks right to me. I've hit the M4 in the shops and I don't think it feels as good.

Just curious to see if anyone has some on course comparisons of the two.

Comments

• Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    M4 on looks and feel for me. Maybe try Rogues, they are a beast. G400s are easy to launch and hit. TS2s are another great option. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #3
    Lakers wrote:

I have the M3 HL FW and seem to be getting along with it OK. It has a great feel to it when struck in the middle. It goes a mile. I had the 15 degree a while back and it went really really far - like right with my driver far (almost). My miss with the M3 is a little leak to the right. I've messed with the weight and the settings already. The look at address is throwing me off as well. The M4 looks right to me. I've hit the M4 in the shops and I don't think it feels as good.

You probably like the look and are used to hitting a fairway wood that is a little more upright. The m3 and m4 variations of fairway woods have usually varied in lie angle by 3-4 degrees, and if your previous fairway wood was one that was a little more upright, it makes sense that your "flatter" M3 is leaking to the right.

I personally can't stand an upright fairway wood. Although I'm average height, I have shorter legs so my hands hang lower, and too much of an upright fairway wood really negatively affects my turf interaction off the deck, and I have a tendency to lose them left off the tee. I much prefer the flatter lie angles of fairway woods like the King LTD (my gamer), M3, Rogue SZ etc.

Sounds like a lie angle thing to me.

Go Lakers!
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 716 ✭✭
    I cant compare the M4 3w with the M3 but I have the M4 with GD Tour IZ in it and that thing is straight money. When I keep switching drivers trying to find my huckleberry the M4 3w is always there and reliable for finding fairways. I actually went with the M4 Tour to be exact and I find it super easy to hit and hit straight. Sometimes I can overcook it left but this one is much much harder to do that with than the old F6 it replaced. Its a great club.
  • jasonp87jasonp87 Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭

Lakers wrote:

You probably like the look and are used to hitting a fairway wood that is a little more upright. The m3 and m4 variations of fairway woods have usually varied in lie angle by 3-4 degrees, and if your previous fairway wood was one that was a little more upright, it makes sense that your "flatter" M3 is leaking to the right.

I personally can't stand an upright fairway wood. Although I'm average height, I have shorter legs so my hands hang lower, and too much of an upright fairway wood really negatively affects my turf interaction off the deck, and I have a tendency to lose them left off the tee. I much prefer the flatter lie angles of fairway woods like the King LTD (my gamer), M3, Rogue SZ etc.

Sounds like a lie angle thing to me.

Go Lakers!

This. Its why i game the m3s. The m4s were ok but the size and shape of the m3 looked better to me. But the big winner was the flatter lie angle of the m3s.

Its why i game them. The rogues were way to upright.
    Driver
    TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,071 ✭✭
    I do think my m4 5-wood has a pretty upright lie angle (most fairways, hybrids and drivers do nowadays) but at least visually it's not as extremely so as some fairway woods I've seen.

A couple years back I learned to Stop Worrying And Learn To Love The Upright (apologies to Stanley Kubrick). My irons are Ping yellow dot which is at least a degree or so more upright than I need. My m4 driver and fairway are not as flat as the "Tour" version woods I used to seek out. Heck, my most recent set of Vokeys I'm playing at the stock 64 degree lie instead of bending them to 62 like I did for years.

After a while I quit noticing. No doubt my swing or setup has evolved to accommodate my entire set of clubs being a degree or two "too upright" but I sure am hitting the ball as well or better as I ever did with "correct" lie angles.

I also quit having my putters bent miles upright to 78 or 79 degrees. Man, what a hassle that was, finding someone would and could bend them +8 or so without messing up the loft or face angle or whatever. I'm back to proudly letting the toe of the putter hang down Stricker-style and my irons and woods tend to have the toe sticking up a bit at address. Works for me.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • mgrifonemgrifone Members Posts: 97
    Have you tried setting the M3 to the upright position in the adjustable hosel?

I've always been bigger fan of the M1/M3 head since its a little smaller and is easier for me to hit off the fairway. M2/M4 would be my choice off the tee though if I didn't hit many shots off the deck.
    Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design AD IZ 6S
    Taylormade M1 15 Graphite Design AD DI 7S
    PXG 0317 19* Fujikura Pro 2.0 8-S Hybrid
    Callaway GBB Alpha 815 23* Speeder 865
    Mizuno MP-25 5-PW KBS Tour 120S
    Vokey SM6 50-08
    Callaway MD Forged 54/58
    Edel E1 Putter