Does any fan really care who wins the Fedex Cup?

mankumanku Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭
Jay Monahan has said one reason for the changes to the Fedex Cup is to keep fans engaged etc...

Does anyone care who wins this, except for the players and their inner circle? Or perhaps fantasy players?

There will now be a bonus for top 10 regular season points...I personally can't imagine caring or following this. Am I supposed to be excited that DJ just earned an extra 500K?

Ditto regarding the Tour Championship...which will now be handicapped.

The Masters, arguably the most prestigious golf tournament in the world, goes out of it's way not to mention money.

The PGA goes the other direction.

Doesn't make me feel good paying $6 for bottled water and $14 for a beer!

Comments

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i do not ... interested in the individual tournaments ... zero interest in the fedex cup ...
  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 19, 2018 #3
    Yeah I will usually try to watch if big names are playing but could care less about who wins the FedEx Cup..it just seems like a big corporate money grab thing. To me the Majors and Ryder Cup are so much more prestigious..
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sounds like a great accomplishment to win the Cup but I dont think their new system will make it more appealing
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    from the first tee shot @ Kapalua to the last hole out @ Le Golf National I'm in for the long haul. Then again I'm a betin' man, one tournament for 10 mill has my attention. So if the winning score is 240, whats that equate to per stroke ?
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

bscinstnct wrote:

giphy.gif

unless...

Tiger-Woods-FedEx-belt.jpg

Be like,

WhichAmbitiousChick-small.gif
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't and in fact I care even less now that it's handicapped.

Now if the Tour Championship were a winner take all 32 man match play event... well sign me up.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • Shester24Shester24 Members Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

bscinstnct wrote:

giphy.gif

unless...

Tiger-Woods-FedEx-belt.jpg

Amazing
  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll watch it Sunday but it's not necessarily the most riveting plot of the season. I like when the new guys break through much more so than watching the top dogs notch their belt for the 10th time.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 19, 2018 #12
    I could give a flying F, ohhh rich athletes with a chance to get more rich with a fake title from a big freight company .. arghhhh

Just give me solid 4 round events on awesome classic courses with some scenery as an added bonus. Bring back Hogan and Demaret and Arnie while you're at it !

Add in a splash of two match plays and an obligatory 2 man event. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A ROUND ROBIN 2 man match play, fire in the hole !!!!!!!!
    Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • PGAroxPGArox Members Posts: 10,288 ✭✭
    I think many people care if their favorite player wins the FedEx Cup. Wouldn't Tiger fans care if it were Tiger? Sure they would.

Now if your favorite player has no chance of winning the cup, you're likely to care less, so you are focused on enjoying a great competition. But people still choose sides; if it comes down to a battle between Justin Rose and Justin Thomas, I think many observers would care which one of those two win the cup.
  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭
    PGArox wrote:

I think many people care if their favorite player wins the FedEx Cup. Wouldn't Tiger fans care if it were Tiger? Sure they would.

Now if your favorite player has no chance of winning the cup, you're likely to care less, so you are focused on enjoying a great competition. But people still choose sides; if it comes down to a battle between Justin Rose and Justin Thomas, I think many observers would care which one of those two win the cup.

TBH not really...other than an extra 10 mil in one of their bank accounts it's not really a big deal to me. This is the time of year Billy Ho shines but I'm not actively rooting for any of these guys at this point (unless I'm playing DFS or have a bet on one of them). I guess it would be cool to see Tiger win again but I'd be just as happy if he won any tournament at this point.
  • DON SVODON SVO Hacker in progress... Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't and in fact I care even less now that it's handicapped.

Now if the Tour Championship were a winner take all 32 man match play event... well sign me up.

Exactly my thoughts from another thread, make it sudden death matchplay (make the payout for the loser of the bracket match his winnings from the previous, 1st place is all that matters) going from 32 to 1. The problem is that a no-name finale doesn’t make for good TV. Tiger, DJ, Spieth get axed first round? Forget about it.

It’s a very interesting problem and I’m not sure that there’s a viable solution.
    A bag of left-handed junk.
    Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2 Kai'li 70x
    3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 80x
    2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
    3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
    4-PW: Mizuno MP-32 satin PX 6.5
    59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0
    Cameron Newport 1.5
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don’t care but it is a chance to watch the top 30 players from this year so I guess that’s something.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,632 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 19, 2018 #18
    Translation of his words are that he hopes new viewers care. True fans would care if it was a bracketed Match play deal with winner taking all. But that’s boring to non golf fans. That’s why it isn’t formattted that way. True golf fans would love a top 30 or 40 qualifying bracket that ended in a $15mil winner. If you play through 29 of the worlds best you deserve to win.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• Range ProRange Pro Members Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care who wins, as long as there is good competition.
  • RustynutsRustynuts Members Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care who wins any event, Adam Scott is my man but at the end of the day it doesn't help me pays the bills even he wins or loses
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 19, 2018 #21
    I don't, and to be quite honest I don't care who wins the Majors either, so long as the golf is good.

So basically what this guy says:

Range Pro wrote:

I don't care who wins, as long as there is good competition.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX
    I care about the Fedex Cup about as much as I care for the copycat threads about it.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not care who wins the FedEx cup the event itself is more important to me and just like watching a good tournament. With the new rule I doubt I’d find any interest in watching a gimmicky handicap professional event and there’s no way I’d ever consider attending it with these new rules.
  • kongokongo Gorilla Golfer Members Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I dont... its hard to get worked up for it. Still see golf tournaments as individual weekend events.
    (Driver) Ping G30
    (Hybrids): Mizuno JPX EZ #2, Ping G #3, Ping G #4
    (Irons): Mizuno MP-57
    (Wedges): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58
    (Putter): Nike Method Origin B1-01
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be watching the Tour Championship tonight as a stand alone event because it is golf, it's as simple as that.

The announcers incessant wailing about points, changes, Fed-ex cup, will all go over my head. I am not remotely interested in this, or the RtD for that matter, just want to watch some quality golf.
    Callaway Rogue UST Recoil 
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW TTDG
    Japanese Tour Forged AW
    Japanese Tour Forged SW
    Mizuno T105
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #26
    For me, I would say, FedEx hade SOME interest. But the way the PGA tour schedule has been set up the latest years with august and september jammed with PGA championships, WGC's, Ryder Cup, Olympics and what not the Fedex have drowned in all-the-best-there-tournaments. I think the FedEx as a Stanley cup thing will work better in the new tournament schedule. For the european tour, which have copied the playoff thing with the Grand Finale in Dubai it actually works decently. The winner there really feels like the winner of the european tour, and not of 10M$.

The schedule for the PGA tour as such is another story, for which I am going to start a new thread.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A passing interest but I only really care when its on the line in the final event so in that regard the changes for 2019 make sense albeit I can't get my head round a handicapped PGA Tour event. As long as it doesn't carry OWGR points by next year I'll just accept it for what it is and enjoy the spectacle.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A passing interest but I only really care when its on the line in the final event so in that regard the changes for 2019 make sense albeit I can't get my head round a handicapped PGA Tour event. As long as it doesn't carry OWGR points by next year I'll just accept it for what it is and enjoy the spectacle.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say Old Tom. I care about at the end before then, it's pretty much a no and the constant chopping and changing of the projections on the broadcast does nothing but bore me. Seriously, who cares if first thing on a Thursday a par putt moves someone up one place in the projected standings.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #29
    Nope, nobody really cares about the FedEx Cup in general. Give us Ryder Cup week already!
  • Whasp3Whasp3 Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    The winner will be the one with a pretty decent year and a lucky week. That could be Mr. Random McDraw

You cant take fedex cup too seriously. Most often the winner is not the deserved winner. You will not e remembered for your greatness that way

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file