Does any fan really care who wins the Fedex Cup?

Comments

• GMRGMR Members Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    To me personally, Billy Horschel winning the FedEx Cup is no more or less interesting than Jason Dufner winning the PGA Championship.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    GMR wrote:

To me personally, Billy Horschel winning the FedEx Cup is no more or less interesting than Jason Dufner winning the PGA Championship.

U must admin that Amanda butt slap was interesting though...
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya man if you like golf you probably care to some degree for me fedex is still 10mill so

Masters

Open

US open

PGA

Players

Winning the fed ex

wgc

PGA tour stop

Alt week stop

But lots of threads on that
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see if the european tour follows suit but for Race to Dubai, but I doubt it. Personally as a Swede only years I cared was 2013 and 2014
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fans would care more if it wasn't football season and the weather in most of the country wasn't perfect for playing golf. Given they already have the split season, they should shorten the FedEx a week and start it earlier before football season starts if they really want to maximize interest. Having it finish on Labor Day could work well for them.
    Driver - Home Ping G410 + 9.5*   Away Ping G400 Max 10*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
    Wedge - PXG 58* 
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,825 ClubWRX
    Given a choice between watching the FedEx Cup and Justin Bieber, I'm taking a nap with the NFL on the telly.
  • Dustin_JDustin_J St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    It keeps a lot of the top guys playing, so in that sense it makes things more interesting to watch. As far as any prestige associated with who wins, I couldn't really care less.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,260 ClubWRX
    manku wrote:

Jay Monahan has said one reason for the changes to the Fedex Cup is to keep fans engaged etc...

Does anyone care who wins this, except for the players and their inner circle? Or perhaps fantasy players?

There will now be a bonus for top 10 regular season points...I personally can't imagine caring or following this. Am I supposed to be excited that DJ just earned an extra 500K?

Ditto regarding the Tour Championship...which will now be handicapped.

The Masters, arguably the most prestigious golf tournament in the world, goes out of it's way not to mention money.

The PGA goes the other direction.

Doesn't make me feel good paying $6 for bottled water and $14 for a beer!

Its a complete farce to think that this is about the viewers. This is purely about the players and the tour. I guarantee you that most golf viewers couldn't tell you who the top 5 are in the fedex points...in any order, much less the correct order.

Fans tune in to watch a strong field and players that move the needle...not track fedex points.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • aknowaknow Members Posts: 96
    None at all. The LPGA is more interesting and competitive than the boring men's pitch and putt tour. Play the majors, ignore the rest.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,771 ClubWRX
    PGArox wrote:

I think many people care if their favorite player wins the FedEx Cup. Wouldn't Tiger fans care if it were Tiger? Sure they would.

Now if your favorite player has no chance of winning the cup, you're likely to care less, so you are focused on enjoying a great competition. But people still choose sides; if it comes down to a battle between Justin Rose and Justin Thomas, I think many observers would care which one of those two win the cup.

I don’t think they do, they care about if their favorite wins the tournament itself, but I just don’t think many fans really care about the FedEx Cup itself. It’s not like winning a major or a WGC, it’s just another really rich dude getting even richer.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,771 ClubWRX
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Given a choice between watching the FedEx Cup and Justin Bieber, I'm taking a nap with the NFL on the telly.

I might actually go so far as to take a walk with the wife.

Justin Bieber? I might just have to gouge my eyes out! I’d rather listen to PT tell about his myriad of achievements than Justin Bieber.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't care one bit. As much as I love golf and work in it, my life doesn't revolve around it. To be honest, when the PGA Tour is on, I usually end up napping. The European Tour and LPGA are much more interesting to be honest.
    G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    PGArox wrote:

I think many people care if their favorite player wins the FedEx Cup. Wouldn't Tiger fans care if it were Tiger? Sure they would.

Now if your favorite player has no chance of winning the cup, you're likely to care less, so you are focused on enjoying a great competition. But people still choose sides; if it comes down to a battle between Justin Rose and Justin Thomas, I think many observers would care which one of those two win the cup.
    spot on. I liken it to any of the other sports. NBA, NFL, MLB.... if your team isn't in the playoffs, neither are you. I've been watching the MLB playoffs for the past six weeks, talk about boring, but; I hang in there with hope . Come on A's !
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭
    They make it all sound too corporate with everything revolving around "Fedex points"

Meanwhile even many of the so called die hard golf fans won't be watching one of these guys win $10 mil (unless it's Tiger of course)..

Apparently the big purses lure in the players but it doesn't move the needle as far as fans and ratings are concerned.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan. I am a spectator.

And no.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We already know who the best player was this year, so what's the big deal?
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero interest until the back 9 Sunday. I literally tune it al out till then.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• KaysquareKaysquare Puppyluv Members Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care who wins, and I certainly don't want to hear about the Fedex Cup all during the first few months of a new season.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    snizzle wrote:

They make it all sound too corporate with everything revolving around "Fedex points"

Meanwhile even many of the so called die hard golf fans won't be watching one of these guys win $10 mil (unless it's Tiger of course)..

Apparently the big purses lure in the players but it doesn't move the needle as far as fans and ratings are concerned.
    that sucks, the environment for retaining sponsors in the PGA is getting cloudy. There's a storm coming image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • 3whacker3whacker Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭
    dont care about the TOUR Championship, always thought it was anticlimactic end to the season...the sooner its over the sooner we go to the Ryder Cup
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Nope, nobody really cares about the FedEx Cup in general. Give us Ryder Cup week already!

If it were any less relevant it would be renamed the Race to Dubai.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • vbbvbb Members Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #54
    Kind of would like to see a guy that is just coming on to the "top players on tour" scene win the $10M annuity over a guy that has already made deep into the eight figures. A guy like Finau or Xander...not that they aren't already rich of course, but it'd be nice to see them get set up forever.

That, or one of your favorite players winning it would be cool. I'm not glued to it like I am a major or the Ryder cup, but I'm more than passively interested.
    Cobra Bio Cell 10.5* stock (R) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport mallet
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I couldn't remember who won last year, till they reminded me about it during a telecast two weeks ago. Pretty sure Tiger one it once or twice, JT last year, now that I am reminded....Furyk with the backwards hat in the rain? YJS? Did Horschel win one year????? I can tell you how many majors almost any golfer in the history of the game has won though, and which ones.

After the PGA I am looking forward the the World Series and football, and every other year the Ryder Cup.

But in terms of golf, the best thing about the fall, and fall weather is PLAYING golf, it's my favorite time of the year, and I love me some cooler weather fall golf. I'm only watching golf if it's raining or I can't get a game together.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s like the patriots going to the super bowl undefeated and losing to the 5 loss bears by 2 touchdowns but still being super bowl champs.
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if it’s Tiger, DJ, or Rory.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd more interested in a match play tournament with the final 32 players.
  • TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's better than nothing... i.e., what they had before.

And because it's still relatively new, people will look back on it a half a century from now and be more intrigued with its "prestige", especially if you do get some players winning it a ton over time.
    The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

imakaveli wrote:

Nope, nobody really cares about the FedEx Cup in general. Give us Ryder Cup week already!

If it were any less relevant it would be renamed the Race to Dubai.

Your bitterness is becoming boring image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,825 ClubWRX
    BiggErn wrote:

It’s like the patriots going to the super bowl undefeated and losing to the 5 loss bears by 2 touchdowns but still being super bowl champs.

5 loss Bears? Like that's happened since 2010. Think that was Cutler's only playoff year in Chicago.

We'll always have Very Cavalleri.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file