Brooks Koepka Feels Slighted... But he doesn't care... But he'll remember

Comments

• WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    It’s definitely strange they didn’t request him in the media tent. However, he’s a big dumb meat head that historically doesn’t give great interviews. They have gotten better in the past year though, and he’s the player of the year, so his POV makes sense.

*I was watching the Ryder Cup at Hazeltine last night, then looked up some videos of him winning at Erin Hills, and it’s insane how much bigger he’s gotten.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,060 ✭✭
    You guys need to read the article. He didn’t say he doesn’t care. He said “ I’m starting to care less “.

I hope he wins ( if tiger doesn’t ) and doesn’t do an interview.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    If he keeps winning, he should probably hire a PR person to help him with his interviews. Even if he says he doesn't care, he's missing out on a lot of endorsement opportunites by being the way he is. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything but every sports figure has a timetable for when he/she has a chance to make money. I'd try to maximize my endorsements as much as possible
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,060 ✭✭

You guys need to read the article. He didn't say he doesn't care. He said " I'm starting to care less ".

I hope he wins ( if tiger doesn't ) and doesn't do an interview.

I've got nothing against the guy. What he achieved was quite the accomplishment. But he's learning that the press is not necessarily your friend. They'll stab in the neck faster than anyone if they smell blood in the water for a story. But he does have an obvious chip on his shoulder. And I'm fine with that for him to use as fuel. The shelf-life is short in this game. Success, as we all know, is not guaranteed.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #36
    tbowles411 wrote:

You guys need to read the article. He didn't say he doesn't care. He said " I'm starting to care less ".

I've got nothing against the guy. What he achieved was quite the accomplishment. But he's learning that the press is not necessarily your friend. They'll stab in the neck faster than anyone if they smell blood in the water for a story. But he does have an obvious chip on his shoulder. And I'm fine with that for him to use as fuel. The shelf-life is short in this game. Success, as we all know, is not guaranteed.

Oh I agree. Just watch the interviews with that twit who stalked tiger and earl for years. I forget his name. But the one who acted as if tiger needed him somehow. All the while he literally made his living trying to stir the pot and paint earl and tiger in the worse light he could. ( they didn’t need any help I know ).

I detest people like that. Digging to find personal dirt and heresay aboot personal interactions to report on isnt reporting the news. It’s helping make it up as you go.
  • ShutSteepStuckShutSteepStuck Grinding like Briny Baird The ValleyMembers Posts: 1,494 ✭✭
    What a savage:

“You’ve got guys who will kiss up, and I’m not gonna kiss up,” Koepka said. “I don’t need to kiss anyone’s butt. I’m here to play golf. I’m not here to do anything else. A lot of guys are known for the stuff they do off the golf course and who they like to hang around. It’s pretty obvious who’s doing that and who isn’t. I don’t need to bend over backwards to be friends with anyone [in the media], but certain guys do that because they want their names written. I’d rather be written about because of my play.

He isn’t a sellout and is surprised the lack of Tour PR and the media interest in him...

You gotta sellout to get that kind of love Brooksy. Stay strong
    g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
    m2 tour 15.8* - ad gp-8x
    m2 tour 19.8* - diamana s 83x
    4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
    mp-t10 56.10 - s300
    tvd 60m - ti s400
    piretti potenza ii 365g 34"
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,060 ✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #38

tbowles411 wrote:

Oh I agree. Just watch the interviews with that twit who stalked tiger and earl for years. I forget his name. But the one who acted as if tiger needed him somehow. All the while he literally made his living trying to stir the pot and paint earl and tiger in the worse light he could. ( they didn't need any help I know ).

I detest people like that. Digging to find personal dirt and heresay aboot personal interactions to report on isnt reporting the news. It's helping make it up as you go.

I think that would be the "legendary" John Feinstein.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    tbowles411 wrote:

tbowles411 wrote:

Oh I agree. Just watch the interviews with that twit who stalked tiger and earl for years. I forget his name. But the one who acted as if tiger needed him somehow. All the while he literally made his living trying to stir the pot and paint earl and tiger in the worse light he could. ( they didn't need any help I know ).

I detest people like that. Digging to find personal dirt and heresay aboot personal interactions to report on isnt reporting the news. It's helping make it up as you go.

That would be the "legendary" John Feinstein.

Bingo! That’s the guy. He’s who I think of when I think media. No possible way to want to interact with that.
  • MathwizMathwiz Members Posts: 984 ✭✭
    While BK has achieved a lot in winning 3 majors in a short period of time, if he wants the attention he should just continue to win. They will be fawning over him whether he likes it or not. Issue solved.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5°
    Taylormade 2017 M2 15°
    Srixon U65 20° 3 iron
    Srixon z565 4 thru PW
    48° & 52° Cleveland CBX wedges
    Cleveland Smart sole wedge 58°
    Odyssey 2 ball center shaft

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.
    Mathwiz wrote:

While BK has achieved a lot in winning 3 majors in a short period of time, if he wants the attention he should just continue to win. They will be fawning over him whether he likes it or not. Issue solved.

I agree 6-7 majors will bring the cash on autopilot. And no butt kissing inbetween. Head down and. Go.
  • gunmetalgunmetal Members Posts: 1,817 ✭✭
    tocino wrote:

If he keeps winning, he should probably hire a PR person to help him with his interviews. Even if he says he doesn't care, he's missing out on a lot of endorsement opportunites by being the way he is. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything but every sports figure has a timetable for when he/she has a chance to make money. I'd try to maximize my endorsements as much as possible

Seems like his "I don't care" or "I care less" approach adds to his "I'm a bit of a bad A" mantra so I'm not even sure if he's interested in marketing outside of beer commercials.
  • tgsevers81tgsevers81 Members Posts: 311 ✭✭
    To cool for school 'eh Brooks? Except when you raise your hand in class and ask the teacher why he/she never calls on you?

He cares, just doesn't want anyone to think he does!
    I use golf clubs, 14 to be exact!  Mostly my putter though!
  • IVMIVM Posts: 454 ✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #44
    Of course he cares but his ego will not let him show it . Winning is only half job of being a professional golfer , you have to be good at marketing yourself as well . Unfortunately Brooks is not smart enough to get it.
    Lol at all the people saying he isn’t smart enough. Well. He worked his way to where he is through unusual Chanel’s. And he’s a millionaire who plays a ball and stick game for a living. We all paying to watch him. And thumb typing about him on our phones. Hmmm. Who’s the smart one?
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭
    mosesgolf wrote:

I wonder who BK took a shot st with the **** kissers. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

3 majors in 2 years and no respect. SMH

I hope he keeps jabbing... I like his style.
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    mosesgolf wrote:

I wonder who BK took a shot st with the **** kissers. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

anth wrote:

BK seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder.

I think he's a very watchable talent but he doesn't seem to give much of himself away from the course. Maybe that's why the media seem less interested in him than they should be?

Which is hilarious because he has said during countless interviews that golf is boring to him, he plays it to pay the bills and wishes he wouldve played baseball instead. I mean, why would the media want to talk with this guy? I am a huge fan of his and think he has a great game, but cmon now this is mostly on his "i dont care" attitude.
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit
    GHIN: 2719293

j0zhnl.png
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,483 ✭✭
    as long as someone tells him - when he uses it (he didn't use it in his current quote) - it's "couldn't care less", not "could care less" ...
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭
    Why do people say he’s got a chip on his shoulder? IStanding pretty close to him at St Jude couple years ago in front of clubhouse after his round. He was very gracious to have some pics made with some fans when approached. He’s a modern day Duff, working mans golfer, who just happens to have some accolades to go along with it!!! Just goes about his business and kissing no ^^^.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,079 ✭✭
    gunmetal wrote:

https://www.golfdige...-and-he-noticed

The guy doesn't ever seem interested in doing interviews and the few I've seen aren't all that captivating. I'm sure it's a little frustrating not getting the attention that others are getting given the season he's had, but be a little more interested and engaging maybe.

This statement from him seems like he's having a tough time how to process the whole thing...

"Sometimes it does suck, but I've started to care less. Come Sunday, I won't forget it when everyone wants to talk to me because I just won. I don't forget things."

If he really doesn't care he should keep his mouth shut. Sounds like sour grapes.
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,847 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #51
    The media wants "drama" and train wrecks. They don't enjoy those who just go about their business as a professional. Would be interesting to see everyone's list of those who do "captivating interviews".

We see this in all sports. Koepka should continue as himself and ignore them, if they don't show interest
  • NPVWhizNPVWhiz Members Posts: 1,976 ✭✭
    Circaflex wrote:

mosesgolf wrote:

anth wrote:

BK seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder.

I think he's a very watchable talent but he doesn't seem to give much of himself away from the course. Maybe that's why the media seem less interested in him than they should be?

Which is hilarious because he has said during countless interviews that golf is boring to him, he plays it to pay the bills and wishes he wouldve played baseball instead. I mean, why would the media want to talk with this guy? I am a huge fan of his and think he has a great game, but cmon now this is mostly on his "i dont care" attitude.

This. BK and DJ can’t cough up a correct answer to a $200 Jeopardy question and if either wonders why the media find them less than palatable, well they should ponder that amongst themselves. For two minutes.
    Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3
    > Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
    Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
    Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw
    > Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
    Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5
    > Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
    Scotty Golo
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,381 ClubWRX
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Brooks seems to what people to believe that he isn't bothered by the fact that the media don't want to speak to him but, members of his team and now Brooks himself, seem to be making mention of that fact that they don't want to speak him. That they were and now he is making mention of that makes me think that is bothers him more than he is letting on. Don't get me wrong, I find it amazing that there appears to be a lack of interest in speaking to a guy who has won 3 of the last 7 majors but it must bother him if it keeps getting mentioned.

For some reason Ross in Friends repeatedly saying that he is "fine" just came into my head. He kept saying that he was fine with Joey and Rachael, clearly he wasn't and clearly Brooks isn't fine with it either.

Rachael was fine when she crushed that milk carton, too!
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 6,989 ✭✭

Lol at all the people saying he isn’t smart enough. Well. He worked his way to where he is through unusual Chanel’s. And he’s a millionaire who plays a ball and stick game for a living. We all paying to watch him. And thumb typing about him on our phones. Hmmm. Who’s the smart one?

I give you the Post of the Year!
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,242 ✭✭
    Ya get what ya give. That pic of him in the article kills me.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    At least they are using his whole singing sentence in the beer commercial, lol.....
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,616 ClubWRX

tbowles411 wrote:

tbowles411 wrote:

That would be the "legendary" John Feinstein.

Bingo! That’s the guy. He’s who I think of when I think media. No possible way to want to interact with that.

Yeah, he didn’t make a living stalking Tiger though. Like him or not, he’s had a pretty successful career. He just felt snubbed by Tiger and seemed to let that drive him.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,844 ✭✭
    edited Sep 21, 2018 #58
    I like Brooks and his game. Hes a great story on his path to the PGA tour as well. However pretty dry and seems guarded and uncomfortable with the media for the most part. He does, at this point, seem to lack charisma and charm that makes for a great interview. Hopefully he will grow into the role a bit as years go on.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,084 ClubWRX
    <<<Yeah, he didn’t make a living stalking Tiger though. Like him or not, he’s had a pretty successful career. He just felt snubbed by Tiger and seemed to let that drive him.>>>

Is that you John?
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex/Pro Combo 5-Gap- Recoil 760 Smacwrap
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Bridgestone Tour B330
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • cinnepacinnepa Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

I like Brooks and his game. Hes a great story on his path to the PGA tour as well. However pretty dry and seems guarded and uncomfortable with the media for the most part. He does, at this point, seem to lack charisma and charm that makes for a great interview. Hopefully he will grow into the role a bit as years go on.

yes, but i think that's ok....the modern day davis love?? not everyone has to be lee trevino, and thank goodness for that.
    Titleist 910 D3 9.5*, TM SLDR 10.5*
    TM SLDR 3HL
    Ping I3+ Blades 5-LW
    Callaway Raxr X Tour- 3 & 4 hybrid
    TM Spider Tour DJ
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,008 ✭✭
    edited Sep 21, 2018 #61
    [quote/]

Yeah, he didn’t make a living stalking Tiger though. Like him or not, he’s had a pretty successful career. He just felt snubbed by Tiger and seemed to let that drive him.

[/quote]

Honestly I like Feinsteins books.Ive read a good walk spoiled, the open, the majors, qschool, the fith major, etc... he obviously live and breathes golf and sports.Hes overly dramatic at times but hes the least bad person in golf media.

Tiger handled Feinstein wrongly because he was invited to shea stadium by president clinton after winning the masters for Jackie Robinson day.Tiger said verbatim to feinstein " they didnt want me there before i won, why should i go now". not his finest moment and feinstein told him hed regret it and that he should go as his achievement as a colored person winning the masters by such a margin is akin to Jackie breaking the color barrier. Tiger disagreed and thats when the tension mounted especially with his dad.its a shame as they could have collaborated on a great book