Brooks Koepka Feels Slighted... But he doesn't care... But he'll remember

13

Comments

  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Posts: 487 ✭✭
    Komarms wrote:


    Would be a tough task interviewing Brooks and DJ to be honest. Doesn’t seem like you’d get a lot of quality answers from those boys, we’ve all heard some of DJs interviews lol... seems like Brooks is similar in that way. They both get it done on the course though and that’s all that matters!




    Some people are entertaining to listen lo, and others just boring. Thankfully the interviews with Biff are kept short
    WIMB:

    `16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAPosts: 1,137 ✭✭
    edited Sep 22, 2018 #63
    lowheel wrote:


    [quote/]

    Yeah, he didn’t make a living stalking Tiger though. Like him or not, he’s had a pretty successful career. He just felt snubbed by Tiger and seemed to let that drive him.




    Honestly I like Feinsteins books.Ive read a good walk spoiled, the open, the majors, qschool, the fith major, etc... he obviously live and breathes golf and sports.Hes overly dramatic at times but hes the least bad person in golf media.

    Tiger handled Feinstein wrongly because he was invited to shea stadium by president clinton after winning the masters for Jackie Robinson day.Tiger said verbatim to feinstein " they didnt want me there before i won, why should i go now". not his finest moment and feinstein told him hed regret it and that he should go as his achievement as a colored person winning the masters by such a margin is akin to Jackie breaking the color barrier. Tiger disagreed and thats when the tension mounted especially with his dad.its a shame as they could have collaborated on a great book

    [/quote]



    If he said it like that ^^, I'm not surprised at the reaction
  • denvergolfdenvergolf Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:


    Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.




    Maybe he values Majors more than instagram followers.
    Then he should shut up about the media, or actually provide a quote or two.
    Taylormade M5, 9*, Tensei Pro Orange 70TX, 44.75"
    Taylormade M5, 15*, 80TX, 42.75"
    TaylorMade P790 UDI, 17*, Project X Hzrdus Black 85 - 6.5 or M3 20* Hybrid, Kuro Kage XT 100TX
    TaylorMade P760, 4-W, KBS DG Tour Issue X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 52-mid, 56-mid and 60-low
    Titleist Cameron Tour Rat 1-M or NP2 Timeless
    2019 TM TP5x
  • ryanarnesonryanarneson Posts: 112 ✭✭
    Wonder if he's going to feel slighted with no media attention now. Not sure he really wants to talk about how he threw up over himself for a 78 on Friday.



    Couple more days of that and plenty of people are going to be talking about him going into the Ryder Cup.
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 389 ✭✭
    gunmetal wrote:


    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/more-motivation-for-brooks-koepka-he-wasnt-asked-to-meet-the-media-at-east-lake-and-he-noticed



    The guy doesn't ever seem interested in doing interviews and the few I've seen aren't all that captivating. I'm sure it's a little frustrating not getting the attention that others are getting given the season he's had, but be a little more interested and engaging maybe.



    This statement from him seems like he's having a tough time how to process the whole thing...



    “Sometimes it does suck, but I’ve started to care less. Come Sunday, I won’t forget it when everyone wants to talk to me because I just won. I don’t forget things.”


    There isn't a single profound or interesting sports interview in existence. Why would this surprise you?
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:


    Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.




    Maybe he values Majors more than instagram followers.




    That's fine then he should stop whining about not getting media attention. I like Koepka, but he's not an interesting interview and he's not a great ambassador for golf, so he can't be surprised he's not getting invited for interviews.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • ray9898ray9898 Posts: 749 ✭✭
    His interviews suck so they only ask when they have no other choice.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,008 ✭✭

    lowheel wrote:


    [quote/]

    Yeah, he didn’t make a living stalking Tiger though. Like him or not, he’s had a pretty successful career. He just felt snubbed by Tiger and seemed to let that drive him.




    Honestly I like Feinsteins books.Ive read a good walk spoiled, the open, the majors, qschool, the fith major, etc... he obviously live and breathes golf and sports.Hes overly dramatic at times but hes the least bad person in golf media.

    Tiger handled Feinstein wrongly because he was invited to shea stadium by president clinton after winning the masters for Jackie Robinson day.Tiger said verbatim to feinstein " they didnt want me there before i won, why should i go now". not his finest moment and feinstein told him hed regret it and that he should go as his achievement as a colored person winning the masters by such a margin is akin to Jackie breaking the color barrier. Tiger disagreed and thats when the tension mounted especially with his dad.its a shame as they could have collaborated on a great book




    If he said it like that ^^, I'm not surprised at the reaction

    [/quote]



    Im paraphrasing but also remember it was 1997 not 2018 with all the hyperventilating going on today over every single word. Nothing malicious in his intentions
  • hardcaliberhardcaliber Posts: 703 ✭✭
    Does anyone know who Koepka's agent is? If he is underexposed, a lot of it is the fault his own marketing team. Getting appearances and attention is a two way street. It's not just about sitting back and being asked to do interviews or articles. You have to pimp yourself out if its something you want to do. If he had a major equipment sponsor, they would also probably be doing a lot of the legwork of getting him out there. Publicity doesn't always happen on its own, a lot of it is manufactured.



    Perhaps he isn't interested, and that's certainly fine as well.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,551 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:

    imakaveli wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:


    Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.




    Maybe he values Majors more than instagram followers.




    That's fine then he should stop whining about not getting media attention. I like Koepka, but he's not an interesting interview and he's not a great ambassador for golf, so he can't be surprised he's not getting invited for interviews.




    Not a great ambassador? He is a great guy that worked his way up to the top, a winner with no scandals, no weird habits, just great golf. He is indeed a great ambassador.
  • Titleist 670Titleist 670 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:

    imakaveli wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:


    Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.




    Maybe he values Majors more than instagram followers.




    That's fine then he should stop whining about not getting media attention. I like Koepka, but he's not an interesting interview and he's not a great ambassador for golf, so he can't be surprised he's not getting invited for interviews.




    Not a great ambassador? He is a great guy that worked his way up to the top, a winner with no scandals, no weird habits, just great golf. He is indeed a great ambassador.




    I agree with you to an extent, but he also says he wish he played another sport growing up, so that's not exactly the greatest ambassador, and I'm a fan of Brooks.
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,655 ✭✭
    I don't care for his interviews and he doesn't care if he's interviewed. We're going to make a great team moving forward.



    I will confess, I don't hang around to watch many of the interviews regardless.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,403 ✭✭
    What a perfect life....all the success and the highly sought after and very costly anonymity! What Tiger Woods would pay to go a WalMart and shop for groceries without there being a mob...priceless.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,116 ✭✭
    tdk8180 wrote:


    What a perfect life....all the success and the highly sought after and very costly anonymity! What Tiger Woods would pay to go a WalMart and shop for groceries without there being a mob...priceless.




    Anonymous Tiger go to Walmart.



    Eat a bag of Ruffles and drink a soda.



    Then leave without payin ; )
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,551 ✭✭

    imakaveli wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:

    imakaveli wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:


    Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.




    Maybe he values Majors more than instagram followers.




    That's fine then he should stop whining about not getting media attention. I like Koepka, but he's not an interesting interview and he's not a great ambassador for golf, so he can't be surprised he's not getting invited for interviews.




    Not a great ambassador? He is a great guy that worked his way up to the top, a winner with no scandals, no weird habits, just great golf. He is indeed a great ambassador.




    I agree with you to an extent, but he also says he wish he played another sport growing up, so that's not exactly the greatest ambassador, and I'm a fan of Brooks.




    Then who is? I don’t see many great ambassadors out there... nobody’s perfect 😉
  • MWL MWL Posts: 305
    edited Sep 23, 2018 #77
    I think he tried to throw a respected journalist out of a press conference and quite rightly all the others are now giving him the cold shoulder. The tap in for the US Open was one if the doucheiest moves I have ever seen.
  • d1boundd1bound Posts: 125 ✭✭
    MWL wrote:


    I think he tried to throw a respected journalist out of a press conference and quite rightly all the others are now giving him the cold shoulder. The tap in for the US Open was one if the doucheiest moves I have ever seen.


    I think you misspelled "tour sauciest moves"
    G400 LST 8.5*/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
    Callaway X2Hot 4(17*) Wood
    MP-18 Fli-Hi 3/KBS 120 S
    Srixon Z765 4-P/C-Taper 120 S
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52,56,60
    Rife Antigua/Flat Cat

    "When I die I'm going out as an underdog who never lost hope" - Joyner Lucas
  • Dave230Dave230 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭
    Social media isn't everything but it's a pretty loose barometer of the global reach of different players.



    Koepka with 3 majors has 118k followers from 2011. Phil Mickelson has 243k followers in 1 month.



    There's the obvious players that have several times more followers than Koepka: Tiger (6.3m), Rory (3.1m), Fowler (1.6m), but also the likes of:



    Keegan Bradley, Casey, Molinari, Webb Simpson, Stenson, Horschel, Zach Johnson, Snedeker, Shane Lowry



    These are hardly the biggest names on Tour. Koepka seems to have a problem of marketing himself, the general non-golf watching public couldn't pick him out of a crowd, it's not just the media's fault. Media follow the people's interest.
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,499 ✭✭
    I'm sure golfers of an older generation are rolling their eyes. They had to hustle their a** off to try to make a halfway decent living. They would have gladly done any interview or given any pub to try to grow the sport. Then you get a guy like Brooks who's making a mint of the money that Tiger and other golfer brought to the tour and he just wants to 'shut up and golf' and wants publicity, without doing anything to work for it.



    He's a great player, no question. But giving just a little back to try to be more show a bit more to fans and try to promote/grow the game beyond what he does between the ropes woudln't hurt.



    The biggest problem the sport has from an entertainment/ratings perspective is the whole engine is driven by a 42 year old with a bad back who defied the odds and came back. Casual sports fans don't care about 99% of these guys. They should be doing everything they can to keep the sport healthy.
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAPosts: 1,137 ✭✭
    mantan wrote:


    I'm sure golfers of an older generation are rolling their eyes. They had to hustle their a** off to try to make a halfway decent living. They would have gladly done any interview or given any pub to try to grow the sport. Then you get a guy like Brooks who's making a mint of the money that Tiger and other golfer brought to the tour and he just wants to 'shut up and golf' and wants publicity, without doing anything to work for it.



    He's a great player, no question. But giving just a little back to try to be more show a bit more to fans and try to promote/grow the game beyond what he does between the ropes woudln't hurt.



    The biggest problem the sport has from an entertainment/ratings perspective is the whole engine is driven by a 42 year old with a bad back who defied the odds and came back. Casual sports fans don't care about 99% of these guys. They should be doing everything they can to keep the sport healthy.




    And unfortunately for Golf, they never will. Golf has a massive handicap (pun intended) compared to other sports and it always will just like Tennis. Individual sports require excellence or someone who breaks the traditional mold to garner attention from casual sports fans. Tiger happens to be the perfect storm of both. There isn't anything any of these guys can do to really have a meaningful impact to the game in a growth popularity standpoint short of dominating at a level close to or surpassing what Jack and Tiger have done. That, is Golf's place in the pecking order and it ain't changing.
  • Dave230Dave230 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭
    edited Sep 24, 2018 #82
    ^^ that's very true, it's not their fault they're not transcendent stars.



    Tiger's name, race, backstory, scandal and redemption, mixed with pure sporting excellence. May never be matched again.



    Mickelson has been near the top of the game for 25 years and if you asked random people who he is or showed a picture, maybe 30-40% know. Show a picture of Tiger Woods and 99% know who he is. It is just a different level of fame entirely.
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,876 ✭✭
    munichop wrote:
    Most golfers aren't Arnold Palmer- that is part of why everyone knows him- but if your job is to cover golf and you don't seek out the player who is a lock to be Player of the Year that is on you.




    There’s no way BK wins player of the year now. It has to be Tiger. BK could have won 5 out of the 4 majors and it wouldn’t have been better year than Big Cat winning the Barbasol!
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,551 ✭✭

    munichop wrote:
    Most golfers aren't Arnold Palmer- that is part of why everyone knows him- but if your job is to cover golf and you don't seek out the player who is a lock to be Player of the Year that is on you.




    There’s no way BK wins player of the year now. It has to be Tiger. BK could have won 5 out of the 4 majors and it wouldn’t have been better year than Big Cat winning the Barbasol!




    What? I understand the excitement but Tiger will rightfully win comeback POY and BK will rightfully win POY
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited Sep 24, 2018 #85
    It's absolutely bizarre how underrated Koepka is. Just checked the latest odds on Sportsbet.com.au for the 2019 US Open:



    DJ 11-1, Tiger 13-1, McIlroy and Spieth 15-1, Rose 17-1 and Koepka 19-1.



    WTF??!! Koepka has won three majors in the last two years and those other guys have won a combined total of one, never mind that Koepka is the two-time defending champion.
  • FootWedge16FootWedge16 Posts: 251 ✭✭
    That looks about right actually.
  • ousuxndallasousuxndallas Posts: 88 ✭✭
    GolfTurkey wrote:
    It's absolutely bizarre how underrated Koepka is. Just checked the latest odds on Sportsbet.com.au for the 2019 US Open:



    DJ 11-1, Tiger 13-1, McIlroy and Spieth 15-1, Rose 17-1 and Koepka 19-1.



    WTF??!! Koepka has won three majors in the last two years and those other guys have won a combined total of one, never mind that Koepka is the two-time defending champion.
    The odds of Koepka (or anyone) winning 3 straight US Opens is astronomical.
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Posts: 542 ✭✭

    GolfTurkey wrote:
    It's absolutely bizarre how underrated Koepka is. Just checked the latest odds on Sportsbet.com.au for the 2019 US Open:



    DJ 11-1, Tiger 13-1, McIlroy and Spieth 15-1, Rose 17-1 and Koepka 19-1.



    WTF??!! Koepka has won three majors in the last two years and those other guys have won a combined total of one, never mind that Koepka is the two-time defending champion.
    The odds of Koepka (or anyone) winning 3 straight US Opens is astronomical.




    Sure, the odds of anyone winning any particular golf tournament are low, it's the nature of the game. But Koepka 6th favourite for a tournament that he has won twice in a row? Another way of looking at the guys with lower odds (which I think are more of a reflection of where people are putting their money rather than a logical evaluation of their chances, at least in Koepka's case):



    Tiger: 14 majors, last won in 2008.

    McIlroy: 4 majors, last won in 2014.

    Rose: 1 major, won in 2013.

    Spieth: 3 majors, last won in 2017.

    DJ: 1 major, won in 2016.

    Koepka: 3 majors, including two in 2018.
  • GMRGMR Posts: 1,052 ✭✭

    GolfTurkey wrote:
    It's absolutely bizarre how underrated Koepka is. Just checked the latest odds on Sportsbet.com.au for the 2019 US Open:



    DJ 11-1, Tiger 13-1, McIlroy and Spieth 15-1, Rose 17-1 and Koepka 19-1.



    WTF??!! Koepka has won three majors in the last two years and those other guys have won a combined total of one, never mind that Koepka is the two-time defending champion.
    The odds of Koepka (or anyone) winning 3 straight US Opens is astronomical.


    Actually they WOULD have been astronomically low...before he won the first 2 in a row. Now that that's known information, the odds are the same as him winning the tournament once, which is actually pretty decent.
  • HifadeHifade Somewhere up here or down there Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,333 ✭✭
    edited Sep 26, 2018 #90
    tbowles411 wrote:
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:
    He doesn't care about talking to the media, but he's upset no one is rushing to interview him? If he truly couldn't care less, then he would just go about his business and not acknowledge that the press doesn't chase him down for interviews. The fact that he he made a statement about not caring shows he really does care, and is bothered by it.
    I can't add anything else to this. /thread image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    I can..... image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />



    Hey Brooksy,



    PING G400 MAX 9* - TOUR 65 "X" & PX HZRDUS T1100 6.0
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15* - HZRDUS 6.5 Smoke
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    CALLAWAY '19 Smoke APEX 4-PW - KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY MD4 48* S Grind - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5 (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
    BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,342 ClubWRX


    It’s definitely strange they didn’t request him in the media tent. However, he’s a big dumb meat head that historically doesn’t give great interviews. They have gotten better in the past year though, and he’s the player of the year, so his POV makes sense.



    *I was watching the Ryder Cup at Hazeltine last night, then looked up some videos of him winning at Erin Hills, and it’s insane how much bigger he’s gotten.
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
Sign In or Register to comment.