Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Taylormade M5 & M6 Woods - Pics added page 46

Comments

• swizbeatzswizbeatz  5687Posted: Members Posts: 5,687
    t4t3r wrote:

kiddoc wrote:

t4t3r wrote:
    Felt pen marks on the face have typically been on tour issue heads, they are used for testing (can't remember if it was cor or one of the other measurements). They will come off after some use.

Tour heads typically have silver dots.

Have had 3 and none with silver dots. Never seen photos of them either, just typical felt pen in the dead center on older TM heads and the more recent ones had 2 marks. Just my experience.

Thats really weird, almost every one I've seen has a silver dot right in the middle of the face where a section of the plastic wrap is off.
    Posted:
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • t4t3rt4t3r  2844Posted: Members Posts: 2,844
    swizbeatz wrote:

t4t3r wrote:

kiddoc wrote:

t4t3r wrote:
    Felt pen marks on the face have typically been on tour issue heads, they are used for testing (can't remember if it was cor or one of the other measurements). They will come off after some use.

Have had 3 and none with silver dots. Never seen photos of them either, just typical felt pen in the dead center on older TM heads and the more recent ones had 2 marks. Just my experience.

Thats really weird, almost every one I've seen has a silver dot right in the middle of the face where a section of the plastic wrap is off.

I see what you mean on the M3/4 heads. My experience is with the 2017 and older TM tour issue heads. Perhaps just an update to how they mark them for easier testing.

Part of the marketing story was that heads would be “finished” with the speed foam to be right at the legal CT limit. That obviously poses a lot of time constraints in the manufacturing process, but seeing any retail heads with testing dots would lend some credibility to that actually happening. However, we have seen tour issue heads with spec stickers well below the CT limit. The difference is completely negligible anyway but an interesting thing to watch as clubs start to funnel out.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - Diamana S+ 72x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD4 50.10S - DG Tour Issue 115
    Callaway MD4 54.10S - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
    Taylormade TP5x
  • stangs2655stangs2655 NW Indiana 208Posted: Members Posts: 208
    M5 5 wood arrived last night from the trade-in program. Driver and 3 wood I ordered from my Club eta is unknown. Took the 5 wood to a dome in the s.burbs of Chicago today. It's hot! Feels solid like a hot melted wood and the twist face worked awesome. Hit 5 or 6 off the toe that didn't even think about going low and left. Wish I could give some numbers, but I don't have enough disposable income for a trackman.
    Posted:

Taylormade M5 Atmos Red TS
    Taylormade M2 Tour Issue 16.5 Fubuki J
    Pxg 0311X 2 Iron Tensei Blue
    Pxg 0311X 4 Iron Tensei Blue
    Pxg 0311 5-Pw Modus 120
    Pxg 0311 50 & 56 Modus 125
    Taylormade Hi Toe Raw 64 Kbs $ taper
    SC Circle T Kombi 34"
    Titleist Avx Yellow

• rsh0308rsh0308  380Posted: Members Posts: 380

Went through a fitting and narrowed it down to the M5 in either the Mitsubishi Tensei Orange and Evenflow Blue... I loved the numbers of the orange but then realized that’s what they put in the model off the shelf and wondered if I should have gotten better looks at other options. Anyone have thoughts or reassurances on those shafts?

Hit the M5 today with the Orange 60X. Maybe they just got it right as a stock offering. I averaged 14.5 degree launch, 159 ballspeed, 2600 spin. Could maybe get 1-2 mph ballspeed or 3-400 less spin but 280 in the fairway is fine by me. Probably the best distance and accuracy for everyone they could find in a cheap mass produced shaft.

Edit: forgot to mention straight. Was all over the place with a Smoke 6.5 70g but with the Orange the weighting felt better and I was just hitting baby draws that ended up on the midline.
    Posted:
    My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story

Cobra F9, Atmos Black 6X
    Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*, White Tie x
    Taylormade Auroburner TP 3h, White Tie x
    Mizuno 850 Forged 4-P, DG TIS400
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
    EVNRoll ER5
  • LemondeLemonde  745Posted: Members Posts: 745
    rsh0308 wrote:

Went through a fitting and narrowed it down to the M5 in either the Mitsubishi Tensei Orange and Evenflow Blue... I loved the numbers of the orange but then realized that’s what they put in the model off the shelf and wondered if I should have gotten better looks at other options. Anyone have thoughts or reassurances on those shafts?

Hit the M5 today with the Orange 60X. Maybe they just got it right as a stock offering. I averaged 14.5 degree launch, 159 ballspeed, 2600 spin. Could maybe get 1-2 mph ballspeed or 3-400 less spin but 280 in the fairway is fine by me. Probably the best distance and accuracy for everyone they could find in a cheap mass produced shaft.

Edit: forgot to mention straight. Was all over the place with a Smoke 6.5 70g but with the Orange the weighting felt better and I was just hitting baby draws that ended up on the midline.

As posted earlier I hit the orange 60 s at golftown vs 60 pro orange s. what surprised me is 15 launch and 17 spin with a 10.5 m5 and same baby draws

Lemonde wrote:

rsh0308 wrote:

As posted earlier I hit the orange 60 s at golftown vs 60 pro orange s. what surprised me is 15 launch and 17 spin with a 10.5 m5 and same baby draws

I think the stock orange is a very decent shaft for stock
    Posted:
    Driver - TM M5 Tour 435 10.5 Tensei Stock Orange X
    On Order - TM Original One Mini 13.5 Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - TM M6 19 Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
    Irons - W/S C300 Forged 5-GW KBS Tour V XStiff
    Wedge - Mizuno S18 56
    Wedge - TM Hi Toe 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”
  • Tre4ISUTre4ISU  92Posted: ClubWRX Posts: 92
    Being 2+ hours away from a good fitter stinks. I plan on getting an M5 and had previously been sold on the Smoke as I've had great luck with Black in everything but now I'm feeling like i should try the Orange and just switch to Black if it doesn't work out.
    Posted:

TM M5 9* Synergy Green Graphene Proto 70TX
    TM M5 15* Pro White 70TX
    TM P790 3i Pro White 100TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MB 4-PW Project X Rifle 6.5
    Mizuno T-5 50*, 56*, and 60* Project X Rifle 6.5
    2016 SC Newport 2.5 33"
    TM TP5

Advertisement
  • mBiden2mBiden2 #15 and counting..... Atlanta, GA 977Posted: Members Posts: 977
    As much as I love TM, I just don’t understand why their custom shaft options don’t stack up to other OEMs. The custom shaft list for the G410 line is crazy good (Rogue 130, Ventus, PO & PW 60/70/80 etc.) I also don’t understand why the didn’t offer the Smoke 80 as a stock options just like titleist and cally did.
    Posted:
    WITB

Driver - ***under construction***
    3W - ***under construction***
    Irons - ***under construction***
    Wedges - ***under construction***
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-Slant
  • davo32683davo32683  2174Posted: Members Posts: 2,174
    swizbeatz wrote:

t4t3r wrote:

kiddoc wrote:

t4t3r wrote:

I want to stay in '17 they started testing 2 locations. One at the toe and one center. There will be a CTA and CTB.
    Posted:
    Nothing is safe in my bag!
  • LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, Indiana 744Posted: Members Posts: 744
    mBiden2 wrote:

As much as I love TM, I just don’t understand why their custom shaft options don’t stack up to other OEMs. The custom shaft list for the G410 line is crazy good (Rogue 130, Ventus, PO & PW 60/70/80 etc.) I also don’t understand why the didn’t offer the Smoke 80 as a stock options just like titleist and cally did.

Man, as many times as you've mentioned that 80g smoke, you just need to go buy one lol
    Posted:
    Ping G410+
    Callaway GBB Epic 5W 
    Titleist 910H
    Taylormade P790 4i-Aw
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • Rig14PortRig14Port  849Posted: Members Posts: 849

"Me and my golf buddy are usually the same distance but after buying this driver this week I've been like 20 yards further all day!" is pretty much my favorite driver review metric. I base all buying decisions off of it.

I have the same buddy...
    Posted:
    WITB... Ha. Depends on what day it is
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom***  31086Posted: Members Posts: 31,086
    stangs2655 wrote:

M5 5 wood arrived last night from the trade-in program. Driver and 3 wood I ordered from my Club eta is unknown. Took the 5 wood to a dome in the s.burbs of Chicago today. It's hot! Feels solid like a hot melted wood and the twist face worked awesome. Hit 5 or 6 off the toe that didn't even think about going low and left. Wish I could give some numbers, but I don't have enough disposable income for a trackman.

What shaft did you go with in the 5 Fwy?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZA206ZA206  651Posted: Members Posts: 651
    Got my M5 driver in on Tuesday and went to play on Wed. afternoon. I ordered it with the PX Smoke 6.5 Xflex in the 60 gram weight. I wasn't paying extra for a shaft, and I hadn't tried this one yet so figured "why not"? I have a 60-TX PW and a 70-TX PO as my main "gamer" driver shafts, so I knew those would be on standby for this head.

Well, after about 5 swings on the range, this shaft/head combo were pretty impressive. I hadn't hit a golf ball in over 2 months, and was very hitting high bombs with this driver. Pretty unreal to be honest. I was hitting it dead straight or with a slight 5 yard draw.... I wasn't expecting this. After the front nine, I turned the loft down one notch from 9.0 to 8.5 (I think). That got me about 10 more yards on my drives.... which were long and still high. I tested out the "twist face" on two particular shots (not on purpose... LOL). I hit one off the toe that absolutely should have been in the trees on the left hand side..... ball stayed in the fairway, about 1 foot from the rough. Another was a heel shot that should have been in the trees down the left.... ball wound up in the left rough with a perfect lie. AWESOME!

This driver will be a game changer for me, and come summer, it will be interesting to see how far it goes. The feel and the sound were superior to my prior M1's and M2's. Definately a keeper. This now has me debating getting an M5 3W.....

-ZA
    Posted:
    TM 2019 M5 460 9.0 with Tensei Pro Orange TX
    TM 2019 M5 15 3W with Tensei Pro White 70 TX 
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    718 AP2 (5-PW) with AMT White X100's
    TM 50, 56 & 60 Hi Toe with S400
    TM Ghost Spider S - 34"
  • stangs2655stangs2655 NW Indiana 208Posted: Members Posts: 208

stangs2655 wrote:

What shaft did you go with in the 5 Fwy?

I ordered it with the stock orange 75, but I put in my Atmos Blue TS 8 from my 17 M1 5 wood
    Posted:

Taylormade M5 Atmos Red TS
    Taylormade M2 Tour Issue 16.5 Fubuki J
    Pxg 0311X 2 Iron Tensei Blue
    Pxg 0311X 4 Iron Tensei Blue
    Pxg 0311 5-Pw Modus 120
    Pxg 0311 50 & 56 Modus 125
    Taylormade Hi Toe Raw 64 Kbs $ taper
    SC Circle T Kombi 34"
    Titleist Avx Yellow

• taylorx300taylorx300  1304Posted: Members Posts: 1,304
    M5 3 Rocket is back in stock for custom orders
    Posted:
    M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
    M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
    M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
    P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
    52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
    60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black
  • t4t3rt4t3r  2844Posted: Members Posts: 2,844
    Finally saw the drivers in a store this evening, man the M5 shape looks good. The matte black design against the silver on both drivers and fairways is just gorgeous. Unfortunately the sole of the M6 looks awful, but I’m sure it will perform just fine. I may have to give the M5 a demo once spring rolls around and put it up against the F9. It’s really amazing how many good choices there are right now.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - Diamana S+ 72x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD4 50.10S - DG Tour Issue 115
    Callaway MD4 54.10S - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
    Taylormade TP5x
  • Deuce78Deuce78  1298Posted: Members Posts: 1,298
    I hit the m6 and m5 fairways today. No launch monitor, just at the range. I am a huge fan of the looks. Last TM fairway I owned was a 16 m1...actually That was a great fairway too. But the m5 and m6 feel awesome. I had both in 14 degree. M6 had that stock stiff atmos shaft, m5 had the stiff tensei orange both which I would replace with something stiffer, dispersion suffered a bit, but contact was excellent. Question, the m5 was left with every shot, draw or over draw. Why? The lie angle is flatter in m5. I actually would prefer a lie angle in between the m5 and m6. What would be the best setting in the m5, to go slightly upright, and help straighten the over draw.
    Posted:
    TM M5 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
    PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
    PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
    Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x
    MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/5-7-965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW
    Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/TVD/black Glides
    NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x
    Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM

Advertisement
  • jll62jll62 Minneapolis 2232Posted: ClubWRX Posts: 2,232
    Deuce78 wrote:

I hit the m6 and m5 fairways today. No launch monitor, just at the range. I am a huge fan of the looks. Last TM fairway I owned was a 16 m1...actually That was a great fairway too. But the m5 and m6 feel awesome. I had both in 14 degree. M6 had that stock stiff atmos shaft, m5 had the stiff tensei orange both which I would replace with something stiffer, dispersion suffered a bit, but contact was excellent. Question, the m5 was left with every shot, draw or over draw. Why? The lie angle is flatter in m5. I actually would prefer a lie angle in between the m5 and m6. What would be the best setting in the m5, to go slightly upright, and help straighten the over draw.

The standard setting is the flattest lie angle, so moving the loft sleeve towards either Higher or Lower would make the M5 FW play more upright. You'd just need to determine if you want to open or close the face angle depending upon the way the ball was launching in the Standard setting.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-4, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • Carson33Carson33  469Posted: Members Posts: 469
    jll62 wrote:

Deuce78 wrote:

The standard setting is the flattest lie angle, so moving the loft sleeve towards either Higher or Lower would make the M5 FW play more upright. You'd just need to determine if you want to open or close the face angle depending upon the way the ball was launching in the Standard setting.

Does lowering the loft open the face?
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 - 460- 9* - Tour AD IZ
    Taylormade M6 - 14* - Tour AD IZ
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrids 19* - Tour AD DI
    Titleist U500 - 4 iron, DG Tour Issue X-100
    Titleist T100s 5-9, DG Tour Issue X-100
    Titleist Vokey SM6 RAW - 46*, 50*, 56*, 60*, DG Tour Issue S-400
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat - Concept 1
  • jll62jll62 Minneapolis 2232Posted: ClubWRX Posts: 2,232
    Carson33 wrote:

jll62 wrote:

Deuce78 wrote:

Does lowering the loft open the face?

Yes. Moving the sleeve towards the Lower setting opens the face.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-4, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX  1682Posted: Members Posts: 1,682
    Deuce78 wrote:

i sold my m5 fairway for that reason. Looked very closed to me
    Posted:
  • GraymulliganGraymulligan  2410Posted: Members Posts: 2,410
    Had a fitting yesterday,and hit the epic flash, the ping g400, the 917d2 and both Ms, and ended up with an m5 with a rogue. Overall the numbers for distance were similar in the epic and both Ms, but we were able to tune the M5 to where I was really happy with the numbers, and the club feels great.

Doesn't hurt that I really like the look they went with this year either. That club is dead ****.
    Posted:
    M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 7833Posted: Members Posts: 7,833
    Deuce78 wrote:

Doesn't more upright typically promote a draw?
    Posted:
    Krt22 wrote:
    Deuce78 wrote:

Yes. I think in this case, the m5 looks flatter than it really is, but because of the look I set up and swing it flatter making it draw..because I did not hook the m6 and it is more upright than m5.

I picked up a rocket M6, and just pulled the shaft. Now to put in the hzrdus black 75x or the diaman LTD white 70x?
    Posted:
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight  12272Posted: Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,272
    So I finally had a few minutes to get on Trackman with the M5 this week and surprisingly - or not surprisingly depending on your point of view - I was not seeing any real differences between the M3 and the M5 yet when it comes to ball speed, carry or total distance.

But with the M3 in my bag over the last year, I have always been around 160 ball speed, 260 carry, 280 total - somewhere around there. And with the M5 I was still in those neighborhoods. Its not as if I saw any magic jump from 160 to 165+. For testing purposes I used the same shaft in both heads, the AD-DI6x black that I have used for the last year, so its a shaft I am familiar with the feel of. I had seen some good shots on the course with the M5 but after the initial honeymoon period I started to not love the 45.75" shaft length that the Pro Orange came with. So I decided that for initial play and to make easy comparisons it was easiest to swap the heads onto my gamer shaft.

Now, given all that, I'm actually still not against switching. The feel and the sound of the M5 to me are two huge positives - even better than the M3, I absolutely love how the M5 feels and sounds.

Admittedly I am a little biased since I loved the M3 but so far I'm just not seeing appreciable increases. I am hoping to get an hour of TM time to devote to just hitting drivers sometime in the next couple weeks.
    Posted:
    M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • kiddockiddoc  614Posted: Members Posts: 614
    Deuce78 wrote:
    Krt22 wrote:
    Deuce78 wrote:

Yes. I think in this case, the m5 looks flatter than it really is, but because of the look I set up and swing it flatter making it draw..because I did not hook the m6 and it is more upright than m5.

I picked up a rocket M6, and just pulled the shaft. Now to put in the hzrdus black 75x or the diaman LTD white 70x?

Every new FW 3w TM comes out with I simply change out my trusty Diamana white 70x

Try that first......
    Posted:
    kiddoc wrote:
    Deuce78 wrote:
    Krt22 wrote:
    Deuce78 wrote:

Every new FW 3w TM comes out with I simply change out my trusty Diamana white 70x

Try that first......

Is it tip heavy? I am putting on a midsize grip, so I'd rather not have a counterbalanced shaft that would further lighten the head. How much to tip it? The head is about 217g, but no sleeve to deal with....
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & Houston 2565Posted: Members Posts: 2,565
    dcmidnight wrote:

Admittedly I am a little biased since I loved the M3 but so far I'm just not seeing appreciable increases. I am hoping to get an hour of TM time to devote to just hitting drivers sometime in the next couple weeks.

so annoying that I can't like your posts!

as far as weights set up how do you have them in the driver? interesting with he feel as that was why I moved to the M3 in the first place over Callaway drivers.
    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS  748Posted: Members Posts: 748
    Those that have either hit the M6 and or currently play the M6, did you previously play Callaway Rogue and if so, how are the feel and sound differences? Im right on the fence of switching this year and would love to hear any of you guys' feedback...Gracias!!
    Posted:
  • geauxWRXgeauxWRX  1227Posted: Members Posts: 1,227
    Anyone else having trouble with swing weight? I custom ordered to 44.5” and with 70g shafts I am at D0 with a couple strips of lead tape. Are the stocks heads just super light? I don’t have this problem with my M4. I also tried to take the weight out and had no luck. Any tips?
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond / Kuro Kage Proto 70Tx
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 / Tensei CK Pro White 80Tx
    TM 790 3i recoil utility proto 110
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 / Tour Issue x100
    Vokey sm7 raw 50.54.58 KBS tour 120x
    Bridgestone B330s
    Bettinardi Kuch arm lock

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights