Crazy rumor of the day: Justin Rose to Honma?

Comments

• HonmanHonman Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #92
    Definitely happening. Irons in the bag November, rest to follow. I imagine it's a combination of TM concentrating on a small core of players and Rose doesn't move the needle sales wise for them. And an aggressive offer from Honma.

I've hit the new Honma range and was super impressed with the irons and driver. The biggest issue for a player like Rose is if they enforce the rule that players must use Honma graphite shafts in the woods. With his history of being a shaft tinkerer and having a lot of success with Matrix, I think he is a good fit for LA Shafts.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,680 ✭✭
    Honman wrote:

Definitely happening. Irons in the bag November, rest to follow. I imagine it's a combination of TM concentrating on a small core of players and Rose doesn't move the needle sales wise for them saleswise. And an aggressive offer from Honma.

I've hit the new Honma range and was super impressed with the irons and driver. The biggest issue for a player like Rose is if they enforce the rule that players must use Honma graphite shafts. With his history of being a shaft tinkered and having a lot of success with Matrix, I think he is a good fit for LA Shafts.

I have Japanese golf magazines that have Honma players with x100s and Modus shafts.

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,931 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #94
    ^He's talking about Honma proprietary graphite shafts in their woods.
    thevaporz wrote:

^He's talking about Honma proprietary graphite shafts in their woods.
    Yeah edited to make clearer. Typed that off the phone!
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,680 ✭✭
    Oh ok.

I'm sure Honma can make a shaft to match his swing then just paint it retail Vizard graphics.
    xxio wrote:

Oh ok.

I'm sure Honma can make a shaft to match his swing then just paint it retail Vizard graphics.

I don't disagree with you. However Rose has always tested lots of shafts looking for an edge. I think that is a hard habit to break.
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭

A source of mine in TM told me that Rose isn't the only Englishman joining Honma.. an equipment free agent from last year will be joining him.

Tommy Fleetwood??

Wasn’t told who but was told they’re both done deals

Would imagine Nike free agents are worth a bit less having to wear Nike hats
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 434 ✭✭
    summerof wrote:

His new irons?

There are certainly enough models to choose from http://www.honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/club/iron.html
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,865 ✭✭
    Honma could always get the shaft Rose wants and paint it to their Vizard graphics. Easy.
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 434 ✭✭
    4rheel wrote:

Honma could always get the shaft Rose wants and paint it to their Vizard graphics. Easy.

I thought this sort of thing was passé on tour...like when Tmag used to do it for their rocketballz line.
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • kmakkmak Members Posts: 139 ✭✭

summerof wrote:

His new irons?

There are certainly enough models to choose from http://www.honmagolf.../club/iron.html

37 DIFFERENT MODELS!!!

4rheel wrote:

I thought this sort of thing was passé on tour...like when Tmag used to do it for their rocketballz line.

Slightly different, other manufacturers aren't going to supply blank shafts like they might to TaylorMade as an example, because there is no chance of Honma working with them. And you can't just paint on top of existing graphics.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Honma can build him great shafts, but I still think he likes having the choice. It'll come down to how quickly they can reverse engineer other shafts I suppose. Maybe they will let this slide to sign him. Who knows.
  • Molnar59Molnar59 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I wonder if Justin Rose is switching to Volvik, too?

We should get Bubba Watson's input....
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2017 Callaway GBB Epic, 9 degree, 52g stiff shaft. Steelhead XR fairway metal 15 degree stiff, Steelhead XR 3H, 4 Apex irons stiff, 5-9 X2 Hot irons stiff, 46 bent to 45, 50, 54 full sole bent to 55, 60 Cleveland RTX 2.0 Black Satin wedges, Cleveland TFi ISO putter. Callaway Chrome Soft[/background][/font]
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,297 ✭✭
    Molnar59 wrote:

I wonder if Justin Rose is switching to Volvik, too?

We should get Bubba Watson's input....

What's volvik has to do with honma at all?
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,297 ✭✭
    kmak wrote:

summerof wrote:

His new irons?

There are certainly enough models to choose from [url="http://www.honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/club/iron.html"]http://www.honmagolf.../club/iron.html[/url]

37 DIFFERENT MODELS!!!

Not counting the new 747vx

• JohnFSJohnFS Members Posts: 8

Donovan84 wrote:

Wow, I think I'm fairly tuned into the golf world, and this is the first time I've ever heard of Honma Golf.

Oh boy.....

Come my little Newbie, and take Uncle WRX's hand and let him lead you down the rabbit hole to the world of unknown, exotic, and obscure equipment.

Soon you will discover all sorts of wonderful brands and boutique makers that you never knew about but suddenly have a need to explore and own.

Be careful along the way, as your quest for the best and most interesting equipment will surely lead to your wallet becoming mysteriously lighter and your basement becoming full of "perfect" clubs that didn't quite work out as expected.

It's an adventure....prepare yourself for the ride.

Honma is not exactly "unknown, exotic, and obscure".
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Taylormade's cost of adding Tiger Woods and Rory Mcilroy have to be offset by somebody. Tiger Woods winning any random tournament will move the needle significantly more than Justin Rose winning even two majors in a season.

Rose's position in the rankings can command a serious payday from any manufacturer that's willing to foot the bill for brand recognition. In this case, Honma is taking on the task.

At the end of the day, professional golfers of any level are contract employees where the only job security is the money that's already in the bank. A big goal is to win tournaments, sure, but it's also to have the most money you can by the end of it all.
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • duke2001jduke2001j Consultant Palo Alto, CAMembers Posts: 151 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #109

Taylormade's cost of adding Tiger Woods and Rory Mcilroy have to be offset by somebody. Tiger Woods winning any random tournament will move the needle significantly more than Justin Rose winning even two majors in a season.

Rose's position in the rankings can command a serious payday from any manufacturer that's willing to foot the bill for brand recognition. In this case, Honma is taking on the task.

At the end of the day, professional golfers of any level are contract employees where the only job security is the money that's already in the bank. A big goal is to win tournaments, sure, but it's also to have the most money you can by the end of it all.

I also heard that because of the way Tiger's incentive laden contract is structured with TaylorMade, and his performance this year, it left less endorsement money to go around. Once TW played in a certain amount of tournaments, returned to form and won a tournament someone from the core TM team was going to leave. I wasn't sure who the odd person out would be, but I guess it is Rose. Unfortunate since I liked the Rose/TM partnership. But they've been together for 20 years, so I guess it's run its course. Rose has never been better and you gotta get those extra endorsement dollars while you can! #StrikeWhileTheIronIsHot
    TaylorMade M2 9.5*- Fubuki Tour 73x5ct X
    TaylorMade M2 3W - Fujikura Speeder 857 X
    TaylorMade M1 5W - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70X
    TaylorMade P790 4-5i; PSi 6-PW - KBS Tour X
    TaylorMade TP EF 50*, 54* - KBS Tour X
    TaylorMade MG HI-TOE 60* - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Putter with SuperStroke 3.0 Mid Slim grip
  • spdrcrxspdrcrx Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I can see it - No one thought Sergio would switch, he was the face of TM
    Ping I20 9.5 (6.5 Project X)
    Cobra Speed Pro 3wood
    Ping G10 18 degree Hybrid
    Cleveland CG Red 3-PW (6.0 Project X)
    Titleist SM6 52,56,60 Degree
    Bettinardi BB29
  • SGIL58SGIL58 Members Posts: 150
    im joining in on this thread 4 pages deep now, but i did see on twitter about a month 1/2 ago from jonathan wall (writer for PGA Tour and equipment guy)...at least i think it was him, but that taylormade was losing a big name player at the start of next year.

thinking who had been with taylormade the longest i was thinking rose or dj; i initially thought dj with all his constant putter changes. after hearing some of this other stuff, i could see rose leaving
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Apparel: Nike
    Shoes: Nike: Lunar Control 2, Flyknit Chukka, Air Zoom 90 IT, Lunar Control 4, Lunar Command, Lunar Control Vapor, FI Flex, TW71, Lunar Control Vapor 2 QS, Lunar Command 2, Lunar Control Vapor 2 (2), Course Classic, Roshe G Premium, Tour Premiere PGA Champ PE, React Vapor 2 NRG US Ryder Cup[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Driver: TaylorMade M3, 9.5, Stiff
    Woods: Nike Vapor Fly 3w, stiff[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Driving Iron: TaylorMade P790 UDI, stiff[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Hybrid: Nike Vapor 4h, stiff
    Irons: Nike Vapor Fly Pro, Currently: 5-A
    Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52* & 56*
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black #3T, 35in.
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5
    Bag: 2017 Nike Vapor Staff Bag
    Sunday Color: Ole Miss Colors[/font]
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    They should just wait a while, Rory will be a youtuber and cost TM about the same as Mark Crossfield costs Titleist before too long
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • jlebeane13jlebeane13 Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    gunmetal wrote:

grm24 wrote:

gunmetal wrote:

Makes perfect sense.

1. Ascend to #1 in the world

2. Change out entire bag

3. Descend from #1

So what excuse do the players that have ascended to world number 1, left all of their clubs the same, the descended from number 1 have? Another daily typical WRX over reaction to something that might happen. This place never disappoints.

Relax my man. It was mostly in jest.

Clubs regardless of manufacturer have to be swung, they dont swing themselves. You can give thos guys a bag full of shovels and they will eventually figure it out.
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB 04 Flex, Tipped 1 inch
    Titleist 917 F2 15* Mitsubishi Diamana BB 70 S Flex, Tipped 2 inches
    Titleist 818 H1 18.25* Aldila Rouge 80 S Flex,
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - 9 ProjectX 6.0
    Titleist SM6 46* ProjectX 6.0 SS x 1
    Titleist SM6 50*, 54*, and 58* ProjectX 5.5
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 36 inches
    Titleist Prov1 (2017)
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,777 ✭✭
    JohnFS wrote:

Donovan84 wrote:

Wow, I think I'm fairly tuned into the golf world, and this is the first time I've ever heard of Honma Golf.

Oh boy.....

Come my little Newbie, and take Uncle WRX's hand and let him lead you down the rabbit hole to the world of unknown, exotic, and obscure equipment.

Soon you will discover all sorts of wonderful brands and boutique makers that you never knew about but suddenly have a need to explore and own.

Be careful along the way, as your quest for the best and most interesting equipment will surely lead to your wallet becoming mysteriously lighter and your basement becoming full of "perfect" clubs that didn't quite work out as expected.

lol. Some of the comments by the uninformed are funny. Honma is grade A+ quality. He’s taking a step up in quality of they get him into a good fit. Especially in irons.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • fyrglfrfyrglfr Members Posts: 804 ✭✭
    Drudersh wrote:

Just heard that John Daly is ditching Marlboro Red's and switching to Pall Malls.
    John is Reds all day, Miller Lite all day.....little funny smoke here and there...bugger sugar to get right. image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' /> love him
  • fyrglfrfyrglfr Members Posts: 804 ✭✭
    Honma has a big set up in the roger dunn store in santa ana
    JohnFS wrote:

Donovan84 wrote:

Oh boy.....

lol. Some of the comments by the uninformed are funny. Honma is grade A+ quality. He’s taking a step up in quality of they get him into a good fit. Especially in irons.

I had a look at their website. The blades look stunning. I’m sure I’ve seen many of the GI models on pro shop shelves under different brands though ?

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • kmcakmca Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    We all hear how great Japanese golf clubs are, Muira, Honma, Epon, Yururi etc yet their presence on tour and their usage is minimal. It will be interesting to see if his change away from the established big 3 has an influence on other players.

Personally I don't think there is a bad set of irons these days they are all very good
    Just watching the WGC from Shanghai - Justin Rose just hit the top of the leaderboard (recorded so not sure how day three ends). It strikes me that TM would be completely crazy to dump him. They have just gone through his stats - he’s one of the greatest on the planet and frankly puts Rory in a box. He’s just won the Fedex. Maybe something about what Rory might yet do ? Strange old world.

Disclaimer*

• Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,481 ✭✭
    Lancj1 wrote:

Just watching the WGC from Shanghai - Justin Rose just hit the top of the leaderboard (recorded so not sure how day three ends). It strikes me that TM would be completely crazy to dump him. They have just gone through his stats - he’s one of the greatest on the planet and frankly puts Rory in a box. He’s just won the Fedex. Maybe something about what Rory might yet do ? Strange old world.

Rose is a great golfer who doesn’t sell many clubs for Taylor Made
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,895 ✭✭
    Rose is no different for me than Koepka, they should both move the needle, but either their team or their club sponsor has literally no idea how to brand and market them.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)