We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Crazy rumor of the day: Justin Rose to Honma?

Comments

• kyle75kyle75  714WRX Points: 70Members Posts: 714
    Lancj1 wrote:

Just watching the WGC from Shanghai - Justin Rose just hit the top of the leaderboard (recorded so not sure how day three ends). It strikes me that TM would be completely crazy to dump him. They have just gone through his stats - he’s one of the greatest on the planet and frankly puts Rory in a box. He’s just won the Fedex. Maybe something about what Rory might yet do ? Strange old world.
    If they are parting ways, I imagine having Tiger Woods on staff with his game back is a potential game changer for TM.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG  6054WRX Points: 169ClubWRX Posts: 6,054
    spdrcrx wrote:

I can see it - No one thought Sergio would switch, he was the face of TM

His tie was stronger to Adidas and when Adidas/TM split, he was just one of the first dominos. I think this is a continuation of that. It’s nice to have a poster with five or six guys in the top 10 but you can’t keep them all
    Posted:
    Twitter:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: Callaway Rogue 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Fairway 5w: Callaway Rogue 5/18* GD GP-6X
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4/23* Catalyst 70S
    Irons: Callaway '19 Apex Pro Dot 5-PW Elevate Tour 
    Wedges: Callaway MD 4 52/MD 2 56/Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Toulon Design Garage Palm Beach RG
    Ball: Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB
  • SASpeederSASpeeder SASpeeder  86WRX Points: 11Members Posts: 86
    This may be a contentious point of view but if TM are going to off load anyone then I think they should keep Rose and off load Rahm (in terms of moving the marketing needle). Rose has certainly been more visible than Rahm this past season. Just my 2 cents worth...
    Posted:
  • HonmanHonman  1035WRX Points: 56Members Posts: 1,035
    SASpeeder wrote:

This may be a contentious point of view but if TM are going to off load anyone then I think they should keep Rose and off load Rahm (in terms of moving the marketing needle). Rose has certainly been more visible than Rahm this past season. Just my 2 cents worth...

Rose is getting on, and Rahm is young and full of potential. This is probably the right move longterm for TM. Probably for Rose too, as he will become the focal point of a brand which would never happen with any other brand. And if it is an iron only deal, I don't think he will skip a beat making a switch from one blade to another.
    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • tgtaggietgtaggie  2060WRX Points: 238Members Posts: 2,060

Rose is no different for me than Koepka, they should both move the needle, but either their team or their club sponsor has literally no idea how to brand and market them.

I agree. And I find this funny bc Rose’s agent is Mark Steinberg
    Posted:
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses  10712WRX Points: 580Members Posts: 10,712
    SASpeeder wrote:

You sign players not based on what they have done, but what you expect them to do moving forward. I’d sign Rahm.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19260WRX Points: 3,242ClubWRX Posts: 19,260

Rose is no different for me than Koepka, they should both move the needle, but either their team or their club sponsor has literally no idea how to brand and market them.

Well ---- no, actually.

Their "team" or sponsors have a little bit of knowledge about marketing them vs. yours.

You can't magically turn them into something they aren't.

Pretty sure they are happy with the millions they are making, so you also can't turn them into something they don't really want to be or can't be.

Thus endeth the lesson.
    Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2290WRX Points: 612Members Posts: 2,290
    You should have stopped at the “little bit of knowledge”, that part was right and also the problem.

Thus endeth the lesson...
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • flushemflushem  1900WRX Points: 354Members Posts: 1,900
    I have always considered Honma as overpriced superhyped clubs. But i recently got tw737 driver and realized how foolish i have been. Honma is superb but totally overlooked club in terms of performance.

Honma also makes own proprietary shafts for decades. I am confident thst it will make a magical shaft for Rose. As matter of fact, Honma is more known for shafts than club heads.
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28983WRX Points: 5,476Members Posts: 28,983
    tgtaggie wrote:

I agree. And I find this funny bc Rose's agent is Mark Steinberg

lol..soooo maybe he just doesnt move the needle ?
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• larciellarciel I play for eagle  2418WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 2,418
    flushem wrote:

I have always considered Honma as overpriced superhyped clubs. But i recently got tw737 driver and realized how foolish i have been. Honma is superb but totally overlooked club in terms of performance.

Honma also makes own proprietary shafts for decades. I am confident thst it will make a magical shaft for Rose. As matter of fact, Honma is more known for shafts than club heads.

their 3, 4 stars are, imo, overpriced superhyped. but honma do make great shafts with high tech materials.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends...  446WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 446
    Hideto Tanihara is a Honma staffer and as of last year didn’t seem to have Honma shafts in his Honma clubs. Not sure why Rose would accept a deal where that was the case.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1460290-hideto-tanihara-witb-2017-dell-match-play/
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 
    Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • HonmanHonman  1035WRX Points: 56Members Posts: 1,035

Hideto Tanihara is a Honma staffer and as of last year didn’t seem to have Honma shafts in his Honma clubs. Not sure why Rose would accept a deal where that was the case.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1460290-hideto-tanihara-witb-2017-dell-match-play/

Vizard are honma shafts.
    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2095WRX Points: 144Members Posts: 2,095

Hideto Tanihara is a Honma staffer and as of last year didn't seem to have Honma shafts in his Honma clubs. Not sure why Rose would accept a deal where that was the case.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ell-match-play/

As mentioned above, all the Honma clubs had Honma shafts. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2099WRX Points: 597Members Posts: 2,099

Koepka doesn’t care and once he’s off the course he’s in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn’t resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about
    Posted:
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses  10712WRX Points: 580Members Posts: 10,712
    GoGoErky wrote:

Koepka doesn’t care and once he’s off the course he’s in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn’t resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about

Yet Koepka gets mad that the media doesn’t care for him.

Rose is a ****? First I’ve heard of that.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna

Advertisement
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2095WRX Points: 144Members Posts: 2,095
    Holy Moses wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

Koepka doesn't care and once he's off the course he's in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn't resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about

Yet Koepka gets mad that the media doesn't care for him.

Rose is a ****? First I've heard of that.

Me too; haven't heard anything of that sort about Rose.
    Posted:
  • freowhofreowho  38WRX Points: 17Members Posts: 38
    jcorna01 wrote:

I like that their staff player bios list their blood type.

One of the girls is 5 foot 18!
    Posted:
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf  706WRX Points: 382Members Posts: 706
    freowho wrote:

jcorna01 wrote:

One of the girls is 5 foot 18!

That’s nothing. Ha-Neul Kim Is 5 foot 63” !

AElPXC.jpg
    Posted:
  • dapartydaparty  32WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 32
    jcorna01 wrote:

Knowing people's blood types is a really common thing in Japan. (Don't have experience living in other countries in the region, so can't comment about them.). Think of it like when knowing people's constellations was a big thing in the U.S. People like to use blood types to imply that someone will have a certain type of personality or certain characteristics, and it often comes up in conversations, but like horoscopes most people don't take it seriously.
    Posted:
  • andrieddleandrieddle  1813WRX Points: 93Members Posts: 1,813
    I'd love for this to happen! Come on Rosey, make it happen, he would still be great with 13 Honma clubs and a customized putter from SC.....
    Posted:
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S[/font]

Advertisement
  • daniel32293daniel32293  482WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 482
    Remember Rose wasn't at Taylormade's most recent commercial shoot for Taylormade's "Big 5": Woods, McIlroy, Day, Rahm and DJ.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 8.5*- Graphite Design AD-BB 6x
    Taylormade M3 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Epic 20* - Fujikura Tour Atmos 9x
    Taylormade 790 2i - GD AD DI 95x
    Taylormade 790 4i - DG TI x100
    Srixon 765 5-7i - DG TI x100.
    Srixon 965 8-P - DG TI x100
    Titleist SM6 50 & 55 - DG TI x100
    Taylormade HiToe 60 - DG TI x100
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport - 35"
  • taylorx300taylorx300  1329WRX Points: 186Members Posts: 1,329
    Rose went to number 1 ( Fedex winner ) and at that point, TM lost the bag and hat deal for next season. He was not part of the 760 launch down in Florida.

Mark King has had a long relationship with Rose and wants to grow the brand. You will see the changes in Jan 2019.
    Posted:
    M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
    M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
    M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
    P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
    52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
    60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28983WRX Points: 5,476Members Posts: 28,983
    daparty wrote:

jcorna01 wrote:

Knowing people's blood types is a really common thing in Japan. (Don't have experience living in other countries in the region, so can't comment about them.). Think of it like when knowing people's constellations was a big thing in the U.S. People like to use blood types to imply that someone will have a certain type of personality or certain characteristics, and it often comes up in conversations, but like horoscopes most people don't take it seriously.

It’s to track those with alien lineage.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2290WRX Points: 612Members Posts: 2,290
    From the same reliable source I have been told the second “big name” that is already a done deal is Paul Casey and they are trying to secure Molinari as well.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • gunmetalgunmetal Idaho 1906WRX Points: 180Members Posts: 1,906
    GoGoErky wrote:

Koepka doesn't care and once he's off the course he's in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn't resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about

Nope.

Quite the opposite actually.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DRRicksDRRicks  2444WRX Points: 20Banned Posts: 2,444
    Rose and Casey...decent stable to start your Tour presence with!
    Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3325WRX Points: 299Members Posts: 3,325
    Casey won't sell anything he is not popular on either side of the pond. Excellent player but arrogant. Rose is a bit dull. Very safe. Brilliant player but very mechanical. Honma irons will be as good as anything TM make so no issues.
    Posted:
  • flushemflushem  1900WRX Points: 354Members Posts: 1,900
    I heard that Honma was bought by TM. True?

If so, I could see the strategic shift from TM to Honma.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 3899WRX Points: 1,011Members Posts: 3,899
    flushem wrote:

I heard that Honma was bought by TM. True?

No. The former CEO of TM, Mark King, was hired by Homna to be in charge. TM was purchased last year by a private equity firm. TM isn't buying anybody.

http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/honma-golf-hires-former-taylormade-chief
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.