Crazy rumor of the day: Justin Rose to Honma?

Comments

• kyle75kyle75 Members Posts: 710 ✭✭
    Lancj1 wrote:

Just watching the WGC from Shanghai - Justin Rose just hit the top of the leaderboard (recorded so not sure how day three ends). It strikes me that TM would be completely crazy to dump him. They have just gone through his stats - he’s one of the greatest on the planet and frankly puts Rory in a box. He’s just won the Fedex. Maybe something about what Rory might yet do ? Strange old world.
    If they are parting ways, I imagine having Tiger Woods on staff with his game back is a potential game changer for TM.
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG ClubWRX Posts: 6,051 ClubWRX
    spdrcrx wrote:

I can see it - No one thought Sergio would switch, he was the face of TM

His tie was stronger to Adidas and when Adidas/TM split, he was just one of the first dominos. I think this is a continuation of that. It’s nice to have a poster with five or six guys in the top 10 but you can’t keep them all
    Twitter: @Ed_Settle

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: TaylorMade M5 Ti 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Driving Iron: TM P-790 4/23* KBS Proto Hyb 85S
    Irons: New Level 4-PW Nippon Modus 105 S
    Wedges: New Level 50/52/Callaway Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Something new from Toulon Design
    Ball: Callaway ERC Soft/Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB
  • SASpeederSASpeeder SASpeeder Members Posts: 86 ClubWRX
    This may be a contentious point of view but if TM are going to off load anyone then I think they should keep Rose and off load Rahm (in terms of moving the marketing needle). Rose has certainly been more visible than Rahm this past season. Just my 2 cents worth...
  • HonmanHonman Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    SASpeeder wrote:

This may be a contentious point of view but if TM are going to off load anyone then I think they should keep Rose and off load Rahm (in terms of moving the marketing needle). Rose has certainly been more visible than Rahm this past season. Just my 2 cents worth...

Rose is getting on, and Rahm is young and full of potential. This is probably the right move longterm for TM. Probably for Rose too, as he will become the focal point of a brand which would never happen with any other brand. And if it is an iron only deal, I don't think he will skip a beat making a switch from one blade to another.
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • tgtaggietgtaggie Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭

Rose is no different for me than Koepka, they should both move the needle, but either their team or their club sponsor has literally no idea how to brand and market them.

I agree. And I find this funny bc Rose’s agent is Mark Steinberg
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭
    SASpeeder wrote:

You sign players not based on what they have done, but what you expect them to do moving forward. I’d sign Rahm.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,911 ClubWRX

Rose is no different for me than Koepka, they should both move the needle, but either their team or their club sponsor has literally no idea how to brand and market them.

Well ---- no, actually.

Their "team" or sponsors have a little bit of knowledge about marketing them vs. yours.

You can't magically turn them into something they aren't.

Pretty sure they are happy with the millions they are making, so you also can't turn them into something they don't really want to be or can't be.

Thus endeth the lesson.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    You should have stopped at the “little bit of knowledge”, that part was right and also the problem.

Thus endeth the lesson...
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,642 ✭✭
    I have always considered Honma as overpriced superhyped clubs. But i recently got tw737 driver and realized how foolish i have been. Honma is superb but totally overlooked club in terms of performance.

Honma also makes own proprietary shafts for decades. I am confident thst it will make a magical shaft for Rose. As matter of fact, Honma is more known for shafts than club heads.
    WWG1 WGA
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,740 ✭✭
    tgtaggie wrote:

I agree. And I find this funny bc Rose's agent is Mark Steinberg

lol..soooo maybe he just doesnt move the needle ?
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,295 ✭✭
    flushem wrote:

I have always considered Honma as overpriced superhyped clubs. But i recently got tw737 driver and realized how foolish i have been. Honma is superb but totally overlooked club in terms of performance.

Honma also makes own proprietary shafts for decades. I am confident thst it will make a magical shaft for Rose. As matter of fact, Honma is more known for shafts than club heads.

their 3, 4 stars are, imo, overpriced superhyped. but honma do make great shafts with high tech materials.
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 434 ✭✭
    Hideto Tanihara is a Honma staffer and as of last year didn’t seem to have Honma shafts in his Honma clubs. Not sure why Rose would accept a deal where that was the case.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1460290-hideto-tanihara-witb-2017-dell-match-play/
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • HonmanHonman Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭

Hideto Tanihara is a Honma staffer and as of last year didn’t seem to have Honma shafts in his Honma clubs. Not sure why Rose would accept a deal where that was the case.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1460290-hideto-tanihara-witb-2017-dell-match-play/

Vizard are honma shafts.
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭

Hideto Tanihara is a Honma staffer and as of last year didn't seem to have Honma shafts in his Honma clubs. Not sure why Rose would accept a deal where that was the case.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ell-match-play/

As mentioned above, all the Honma clubs had Honma shafts. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,262 ✭✭

Koepka doesn’t care and once he’s off the course he’s in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn’t resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

Koepka doesn’t care and once he’s off the course he’s in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn’t resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about

Yet Koepka gets mad that the media doesn’t care for him.

Rose is a ****? First I’ve heard of that.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

Koepka doesn't care and once he's off the course he's in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn't resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about

Yet Koepka gets mad that the media doesn't care for him.

Rose is a ****? First I've heard of that.

Me too; haven't heard anything of that sort about Rose.
  • freowhofreowho Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    jcorna01 wrote:

I like that their staff player bios list their blood type.

One of the girls is 5 foot 18!
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    edited Oct 28, 2018 #140
    freowho wrote:

jcorna01 wrote:

One of the girls is 5 foot 18!

That’s nothing. Ha-Neul Kim Is 5 foot 63” !

AElPXC.jpg
    TaylorMade M6 - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    TaylorMade M4 3 Wood - KuroKage 70
    TaylorMade M4 3 Hybrid - KuroKage 80
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 51
    TaylorMade HiToe 56/60 - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
  • dapartydaparty Members Posts: 32
    jcorna01 wrote:

Knowing people's blood types is a really common thing in Japan. (Don't have experience living in other countries in the region, so can't comment about them.). Think of it like when knowing people's constellations was a big thing in the U.S. People like to use blood types to imply that someone will have a certain type of personality or certain characteristics, and it often comes up in conversations, but like horoscopes most people don't take it seriously.
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I'd love for this to happen! Come on Rosey, make it happen, he would still be great with 13 Honma clubs and a customized putter from SC.....
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • daniel32293daniel32293 Members Posts: 480 ✭✭
    Remember Rose wasn't at Taylormade's most recent commercial shoot for Taylormade's "Big 5": Woods, McIlroy, Day, Rahm and DJ.
    Taylormade M3 8.5*- Graphite Design AD-BB 6x
    Taylormade M3 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Epic 20* - Fujikura Tour Atmos 9x
    Taylormade 790 2i - GD AD DI 95x
    Taylormade 790 4i - DG TI x100
    Srixon 765 5-7i - DG TI x100.
    Srixon 965 8-P - DG TI x100
    Titleist SM6 50 & 55 - DG TI x100
    Taylormade HiToe 60 - DG TI x100
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport - 35"
  • taylorx300taylorx300 Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭
    Rose went to number 1 ( Fedex winner ) and at that point, TM lost the bag and hat deal for next season. He was not part of the 760 launch down in Florida.

Mark King has had a long relationship with Rose and wants to grow the brand. You will see the changes in Jan 2019.
    M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
    M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
    M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
    P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
    52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
    60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,740 ✭✭
    daparty wrote:

jcorna01 wrote:

Knowing people's blood types is a really common thing in Japan. (Don't have experience living in other countries in the region, so can't comment about them.). Think of it like when knowing people's constellations was a big thing in the U.S. People like to use blood types to imply that someone will have a certain type of personality or certain characteristics, and it often comes up in conversations, but like horoscopes most people don't take it seriously.

It’s to track those with alien lineage.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    From the same reliable source I have been told the second “big name” that is already a done deal is Paul Casey and they are trying to secure Molinari as well.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • gunmetalgunmetal Members Posts: 1,839 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

Koepka doesn't care and once he's off the course he's in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn't resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about

Nope.

Quite the opposite actually.
  • DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ✭✭
    Rose and Casey...decent stable to start your Tour presence with!
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭
    Casey won't sell anything he is not popular on either side of the pond. Excellent player but arrogant. Rose is a bit dull. Very safe. Brilliant player but very mechanical. Honma irons will be as good as anything TM make so no issues.
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,642 ✭✭
    edited Oct 30, 2018 #150
    I heard that Honma was bought by TM. True?

If so, I could see the strategic shift from TM to Honma.
    WWG1 WGA
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,209 ✭✭
    flushem wrote:

I heard that Honma was bought by TM. True?

No. The former CEO of TM, Mark King, was hired by Homna to be in charge. TM was purchased last year by a private equity firm. TM isn't buying anybody.

http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/honma-golf-hires-former-taylormade-chief