We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Crazy rumor of the day: Justin Rose to Honma?

Comments

• Holy MosesHoly Moses  10696Members Posts: 10,696
    “But pros can play shovels and they’d be good”...not always. Today’s clubs are all made so well that I doubt you’ll see the problems golfers of years past had switching club companies, but some pros did struggle after the switch. It was usually due to an OEM trying to make a player use a game-improvement club.

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/photos-my-five-equipment-switches
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2094Members Posts: 2,094
    marmaduk wrote:

All jokes aside I've seeen many sets of Honma on the course. Not much golf (worth note) being played with them but it's a status symbol. Expensive as **** and ugly as sin. Bling Bling. Like the Bentley SUV they get loaded into. FUGLY.

There are distinct lines to Honma golf. The crazy expensive, sure, that's the line that got them a lot of attention.

The Tour World series, is much more budget friendly, as well as very good clubs.

The TW irons are excellent, and the woods are criminally underrated
    Posted:
  • aliikanealiikane  1685Members Posts: 1,685
    This is a really big move. It will be interesting how he adapts and plays especially since he is jockeying for #1 in the world.
    Posted:
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_Japan 5788Members Posts: 5,788
    It's kinda interesting that Honma still make their "bling" clubs while at the same time putting out their excellent Tour World stuff. Seems a massive gap between them, but it's all part of the brand, I guess. Incidentally, there are other Japanese club makers putting out some tasty bling. Majesty Prestigio (Maruman) come to mind.

https://www.majesty-golf.com/category/product/majesty/
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation  1311Members Posts: 1,311

It's kinda interesting that Honma still make their "bling" clubs while at the same time putting out their excellent Tour World stuff. Seems a massive gap between them, but it's all part of the brand, I guess. Incidentally, there are other Japanese club makers putting out some tasty bling. Majesty Prestigio (Maruman) come to mind.

https://www.majesty-...roduct/majesty/

Kinda just where manufacturers are going now with Callaway and Titleist making their own overpriced clubs as well, although marketed to different folk and none of them as far as I know are hi COR.
    Posted:
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • josh67josh67  15Members Posts: 15
    The timing makes sense for Honma to start making a move into North America. PXG have opened up that market for super premium, high end gear and proven that people are willing to pay for it.

As with anything in the equipment world, needs tour validation to get noticed so it makes sense to bring Rose in to the staff as he is challenging every time he tee's it up. In terms of brand, it also ties in pretty nicely with Rose being a classy, understated sort of guy which should sit well with Honma and the type of clientele they are likely targeting.

Money talks, but Rose has just won $10m so I can't see cash being the sole reason for him to move and play inferior equipment...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  •  Dave D Dave D  4032Members Posts: 4,032
    I'm very surprised that he would even change equipment after the year he has had, contract or no contract he doesn't need the money so just keep playing the taylormade clubs that have been working so well for him
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
    3 iron: Srixon ZU85 20* w/ Nippon Modus 120x

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34" w/ P2 Aware Tour

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
  • stanger37stanger37  450Members Posts: 450
    Dave D wrote:

I'm very surprised that he would even change equipment after the year he has had, contract or no contract he doesn't need the money so just keep playing the taylormade clubs that have been working so well for him

agreed. and it doesnt seem to be about the money either because he seems to be surrendering his Race to Dubai standings by not playing anymore this year. So I wonder if he had a mini-fall out with TM. But he is still playing their woods, putter and ball so maybe I discredited my own thought. Just with how he is dropping the few details about it, makes you think a relationship somewhere has gone slightly sour. maybe with the Eurotour?
    Posted:
    Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • flushemflushem  1900Members Posts: 1,900
    stanger37 wrote:

Dave D wrote:

agreed. and it doesnt seem to be about the money either because he seems to be surrendering his Race to Dubai standings by not playing anymore this year. So I wonder if he had a mini-fall out with TM. But he is still playing their woods, putter and ball so maybe I discredited my own thought. Just with how he is dropping the few details about it, makes you think a relationship somewhere has gone slightly sour. maybe with the Eurotour?

I would look into few factors why Rose and other gangs will sign with Honma.

1. Profound personal relationship with King, the Honma CEO

2. Desire to win

3. Club quality
    Posted:
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar  1874Members Posts: 1,874
    stanger37 wrote:

Dave D wrote:

I think it's likely that there were some sort of verbal assurances given to him by TM peeps prior to the split with Adidas which were repeated after the deal was completed and he's now found out his deal isn't being renewed after all.

Given that he's achieved more than he was aiming for this season (5 wins and the RC) he's possibly thinking now is as good a time as any to get testing done and adjusted before the big tournaments early next year.

The public suggestions are his way of letting us know that someone in his position (number 1 in the world, experienced, multi-time winner, brand ambassador) has been treated very poorly, disrespectfully almost and that he's changed his itinerary as a result.
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19069ClubWRX Posts: 19,069
    More likely as mentioned often in this thread and elsewhere, it's his relationship with King and what King is bringing to the table with Honma.. The amateur sleuthing about his verbal assurances, promises broken, etc. are silly.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/justin-rose-to-leave-taylormade-expected-to-sign-with-honma
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • thecrawthecraw  1080Members Posts: 1,080
    josh67 wrote:

The timing makes sense for Honma to start making a move into North America. PXG have opened up that market for super premium, high end gear and proven that people are willing to pay for it.

As with anything in the equipment world, needs tour validation to get noticed so it makes sense to bring Rose in to the staff as he is challenging every time he tee's it up. In terms of brand, it also ties in pretty nicely with Rose being a classy, understated sort of guy which should sit well with Honma and the type of clientele they are likely targeting.

Money talks, but Rose has just won $10m so I can't see cash being the sole reason for him to move and play inferior equipment...

Very ignorant comment.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST driver - Speeder Evolution 569

Ping G 5 wood - Diamana Whiteboard 80

Ping G400 3 Crossover - 19 Accra Fx400

Ping i200 4-W Alta CB shafts

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges 50, 54 + 58

Ping Vault Ketsch 
  • josh67josh67  15Members Posts: 15
    thecraw wrote:
    josh67 wrote:

Very ignorant comment.

Just re-read my comment and it didn't come across in the right way... didn't mean that Honma is in any way inferior equipment.

What I was arguing is that for the people questioning Rose moving given his current success , is that he isn't going to take it lightly and play stuff that doesn't work for him Just for the money. It will have to work for him from a performance perspective as much/more than financially.
    Posted:
    Uh oh... civil war in UK
    Posted:
    Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle  2417Members Posts: 2,417
    flushem wrote:

tw747x and 747p. (black)

probably... more like definitely 747x for Rose. .. Maybe they bring new Blade 747M
    Posted:
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth  4668Members Posts: 4,668
    If Justin Rose is signing with Honma, how come he isn't playing in the Honma Hong Kong Open this week?

He has played the event the last few years.

So I doubt he is signing with Honma.
    Posted:
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...  13111Members Posts: 13,111
    iBanesto wrote:

If Justin Rose is signing with Honma, how come he isn't playing in the Honma Hong Kong Open this week?

I was thinking the same thing!
    Posted:
  • xxioxxio Cebu, Philippines 5783Members Posts: 5,783
    Because his TM contract isn't officially up yet?

Because he hasn't officially signed with Honma?
    Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2051Members Posts: 2,051
    Iirc he made a statement after his last event that he was taking time off and changes were coming and we would see. So I’m sure it’s what xxio said
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK  4639Members Posts: 4,639
    xxio wrote:

Stop talking sense!
    Posted:
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth  4668Members Posts: 4,668
    xxio wrote:

Obviously.

So this thread is inane and superfluous.
    Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, Scotland 3099Members Posts: 3,099
    A ball change could concern me more than changing irons.

Depending on the terms of any potential deal he may still use his TM metals and putter but what ball will he use?
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2277Members Posts: 2,277
    The contract is signed, but the effective date is after his TaylorMade deal ends.

Basic contract law...
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
    ^^ So you'd think Justin Rose will likely be playing the Honma Hong Kong Open 2019.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

Advertisement
  • rightslicerightslice  160Members Posts: 160
    iBanesto wrote:

If you had his pad in the Bahamas you'd probably go there and chill as well. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends...  446Members Posts: 446

A ball change could concern me more than changing irons.

Depending on the terms of any potential deal he may still use his TM metals and putter but what ball will he use?

I can't locate the article but I recall reading that his Honma contract includes wedges/irons only. He can/will continue to play TM woods and balls. Not sure about putter.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 
    Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
    ^^ Very interested to see if he sticks with the ball, he's had a lot of success with the TM ball but if he's free to play any ball then possibly another one might perform better for him, only he'd know the answer to that. I'd be shocked if he changes from TM woods.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 3880Members Posts: 3,880

^^ Very interested to see if he sticks with the ball, he's had a lot of success with the TM ball but if he's free to play any ball then possibly another one might perform better for him, only he'd know the answer to that. I'd be shocked if he changes from TM woods.
    From earlier in this thread:

https://www.yahoo.co...-135500123.html

As for those new clubs, Rose will start 2019 playing irons made by the Japanese company Honma Golf, although he will still use TaylorMade's ball and woods.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.