Crazy rumor of the day: Justin Rose to Honma?

Comments

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    ^^ So you'd think Justin Rose will likely be playing the Honma Hong Kong Open 2019.

Depends on the contract. I would find it hard to believe he wasn’t at least required to make an appearance.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭

^^ So you'd think Justin Rose will likely be playing the Honma Hong Kong Open 2019.

Depends on the contract. I would find it hard to believe he wasn’t at least required to make an appearance.

100% chance he is. He’s played this event in the past, surprised he’s not there this year.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭
    I'd wager on him playing in that new PGA event that was announced taking place in Japan, next year.
  • ThayneilThayneil Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
    gunmetal wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

Rose is no different for me than Koepka, they should both move the needle, but either their team or their club sponsor has literally no idea how to brand and market them.

Koepka doesn't care and once he's off the course he's in his own world. Rose outside of the UK doesn't resonate with fans and has a rep for being a ****. On the UK side many bigger names for fans to care about

Nope.

Quite the opposite actually.

Rose is one of the nicest and intelligent guys out there

Far from being a Dush Bag

That maybe another golfer called Donald>

Holy Moses wrote:

Depends on the contract. I would find it hard to believe he wasn't at least required to make an appearance.

100% chance he is. He's played this event in the past, surprised he's not there this year.

Probably contract doesnt start until 2019
  • clichecliche Members Posts: 758 ✭✭
    so this just in.

Apperently Reed and Fitzpatrick were in Japan visiting Honma in Japan. Lets see where this is going to.
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,651 ✭✭
    cliche wrote:

so this just in.

Apperently Reed and Fitzpatrick were in Japan visiting Honma in Japan. Lets see where this is going to.

the golf world will get curiouser and curiouser
    WWG1 WGA
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,388 ✭✭
    cliche wrote:

so this just in.

And after ten minutes of talking with Reed, they told him thanks for visiting and they’ll stay in touch. Maybe have lunch some time if they’re ever in the same area.

Just kidding.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,914 ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what Rose turns up with this week at the Hero.

I get that his TM contract is likely not up until the end of the year but Sergio's contract with TM was not up until the end of 2017 but there was with Callaway gear in the bag being used before calendar hit 2018.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    MattyO1984 wrote:

I get that his TM contract is likely not up until the end of the year but Sergio's contract with TM was not up until the end of 2017 but there was with Callaway gear in the bag being used before calendar hit 2018.

That’s because TaylorMade released Sergio, at Sergio’s request, before his contract expired. Of course, it’s possible that they could do the same for Rose.
    TaylorMade M6 - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    TaylorMade M4 3 Wood - KuroKage 70
    TaylorMade M4 3 Hybrid - KuroKage 80
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 51
    TaylorMade HiToe 56/60 - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,303 ✭✭
    EricWGolf wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

That’s because TaylorMade released Sergio, at Sergio’s request, before his contract expired. Of course, it’s possible that they could do the same for Rose.

They gotta get their mileage out of those TP5 ball commercials where the entire TM Staff Team is there bombing it (except Rose, but he's hanging around in the background).
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14*  Maltby ProSeries Fwy- S
    Maltby KE-4 Tour 19*/23*  Kuro Kage Blk 80hy - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S FG Tour RAW 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭
    I’m sending this next one! Stop it! How do you get that distance out of that body? Hot dang I’m tired of that commercial.
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    I’ve seen the Justin Rose athlete branded TP 5 at 25% reduction today
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,303 ✭✭
    Lancj1 wrote:

I’ve seen the Justin Rose athlete branded TP 5 at 25% reduction today

And I've just learned there is such a thing.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14*  Maltby ProSeries Fwy- S
    Maltby KE-4 Tour 19*/23*  Kuro Kage Blk 80hy - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S FG Tour RAW 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,478 ✭✭
    cliche wrote:

so this just in.

It's always surprised me that the Japanese club manufacturers haven't recruited PGA Tour/ET players much in the past, a change in strategy?!
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,927 ClubWRX
    Lots of news reports and Rose hinted at it, but is there an "official" press release out there from Homna/Rose/TM? I know it's happening, but not sure it's "official" other than all the outlets reporting the same rumor. Guessing he's waiting until the end of the year and the contract is really over out of respect for the relationship and, of course, the terms of the contract. Did some looking, but so far just keep finding the same stuff, just reported by a bunch of different folks.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Lots of news reports and Rose hinted at it, but is there an "official" press release out there from Homna/Rose/TM? I know it's happening, but not sure it's "official" other than all the outlets reporting the same rumor. Guessing he's waiting until the end of the year and the contract is really over out of respect for the relationship and, of course, the terms of the contract. Did some looking, but so far just keep finding the same stuff, just reported by a bunch of different folks.

Can’t make it official until January 1
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,710 ✭✭
    10 club deal...I still wonder if Rose uses the Honma driver out of the gate. “Rose is expected to play the driver.”
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,848 ✭✭
    He may stick with the woods in the first instance, especially as he's not found one of their fairways that he's happy with yet. It'll be interesting for sure.
  • DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    Maybe this will make Honma more available in the US?
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how he plays this year. Changing the entire bag to new equipment manufacture is a big change not mention Honma clubs are almost polar opposite to Taylormade clubs.
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,365 ✭✭
    edited Jan 1, 2019 10:38pm #233
    Good for him. Will be interested how he plays. I know lots of older Asian golfers that play honma at the club. They always rave about my driver has 4 stars and is the best. I will say their clubs always look nice and their staff bags are colorful.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,212 ✭✭

Maybe this will make Honma more available in the US?
    It will. Has been mentioned in articles today on JR switching that a new line on Honma will be available in the USA in late January.

https://www.golf.com/equipment/2019/01/01/justin-rose-signs-10-club-equipment-deal-honma-golf/

Since Rose was unveiled as Honma’s newest signing this morning, the company’s stock has already gone up more than four percent. Honma plans to release a product line in North America later this month.
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,834 ✭✭
    That's a great move by Honma. It gives the instant street cred in the US and a possible foil to PXG in the uber high end segment.
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    mosesgolf wrote:

That's a great move by Honma. It gives the instant street cred in the US and a possible foil to PXG in the uber high end segment.

The Tour World stuff isn't really part of the uber high end segment, however

That's what they'll be pushing, especially with Rose now on staff
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,465 ✭✭
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,465 ✭✭
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,478 ✭✭
    The wedges are uber clean.

I personally think Rose will carry on where he left off despite all the doom and freaking out in some quarters about an equipment change.

Clubs look great anyway.

Dv5S8fUX4AAfqYA.jpg
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • grahamcgrahamc Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Looks like he has moved to Bonobos for apparel also.

Wonder what that'll mean for the future of the AdiPure line.
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,344 ✭✭

The wedges are uber clean.

I personally think Rose will carry on where he left off despite all the doom and freaking out in some quarters about an equipment change.

Clubs look great anyway.

Those wedges are different from the 747 line that's out already. Better looking than the 747s, too.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons.