TP5 or TP5X?

hogansbackswinghogansbackswing Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited Sep 25, 2018 in Golf Balls #1
Curious of your opinion on the two and which one you have liked the best? TP5? or X?

Looking to switch to one of the two and since they are still relatively new, I don't know how they play... Can't alway go by the box! Whatcha think?
Taylormade M5 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 60TX
Taylormade M5 3 Wood w/ hzrdus yellow 70X
Callaway Apex UT 18* w/ Tour-AD 95X
Callaway XForged '18 4-7, Apex MB 8-9 w/ KBS C-Taper 120S
Vokey SM6 45-9F, 50-10F, 56-7M, 62-6L
Bettinardi Studio Stock #2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kcsfkcsf Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    Try a search as there are many threads that will provide you with the info you need.
    TM M3 Green Mamba 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour HL 3w Green Mamba
    Ping i500 irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 50* & 56* wedges
    O-Works #7s red
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,259 ✭✭
    Better is relative.

TP5 spins more, TP5X spins a bit less, flies a bit higher.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• hogansbackswinghogansbackswing Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Better is relative.

TP5 spins more, TP5X spins a bit less, flies a bit higher.
    All of that is already known... I'm curious if anyone has played either and what they like about it over the other
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭

All of that is already known... I'm curious if anyone has played either and what they like about it over the other

Played both. Both played so similar it came down to feel. Like the feel off the TP5 better. Truth be told, I could happily play either and not feel like I'm losing out on performance.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
    noodle3872 wrote:

Played both. Both played so similar it came down to feel. Like the feel off the TP5 better. Truth be told, I could happily play either and not feel like I'm losing out on performance.

Just a bit softer? I was leaning toward the TP5 but play the ProV1X and was thinking maybe the TP5X would be similar
  • mlp021mlp021 Members Posts: 453 ✭✭
    Loved the TP5. Didn't get along with the TP5x.
    Driver: Titleist TS2 - Stiff
    Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal Pro - Project X LZ
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 4 - 50* 54* 58*
    Putter - Odyssey Mini Jailbird
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,312 ✭✭
    its all personal choices from golfer to golfer. Easiest thing is to just get a sleeve of each and decide. I personally play the TP5X as it works best for me.
  • Judge440Judge440 Titleist will always have my heart. ClubWRX Posts: 2,080 ClubWRX
    Liked the TP5 better as it was a bit more responsive around the greens.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* - Fujikura Atmos TS Black 6X
    Titleist 917F2  15* - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 7X
    Titleist 818H1 19* - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X
    Titleist 718 AP2 - PX LZ 6.5
    Titleist SM7 Raw - 50.12F | 54.14F | 60-12D - TI S400
    SC Tour Rat

WITB Link

https://www.instagram.com/judge44o/
    cristphoto wrote:

its all personal choices from golfer to golfer. Easiest thing is to just get a sleeve of each and decide. I personally play the TP5X as it works best for me.

Golf in general is personal. Most everything is based off of feel and personal preference.. Because of how similar these two balls are, I'm curious what has been working for people that have played either of the two.. or if they actually see a difference.
  • kcsfkcsf Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

cristphoto wrote:

Golf in general is personal. Most everything is based off of feel and personal preference.. Because of how similar these two balls are, I'm curious what has been working for people that have played either of the two.. or if they actually see a difference.

The irony in what you just wrote is astounding. Go buy 2 sleeves and test it yourself as you will not listen to others, nor should trust fully others experience in such a 'personal' matter.
    TM M3 Green Mamba 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour HL 3w Green Mamba
    Ping i500 irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 50* & 56* wedges
    O-Works #7s red
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,116 ✭✭
    I played both, and could game either one if I had to. TP5 felt better and flew better for me, but I liked the stopping power of the x around the greens.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • fkim011fkim011 Official Club Whore Irvine, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 755 ✭✭
    For my game, the TP5X is better suited. I light to flight my approaches a little lower and hit a lot of knock downs. Thought that the TP5 grabbed way too quick or couldn't control the spin. The TP5X one hops and stops almost everytime for me.
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,828 ✭✭
    Couldn’t control wedge distances that well with the X. I get better spin with short irons with TP5. X has a higher flight.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Hated the X around the greens so decided the TP5 family wasn't for me...not the bite I'm accustomed to.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,312 ✭✭
    kcsf wrote:

cristphoto wrote:

The irony in what you just wrote is astounding. Go buy 2 sleeves and test it yourself as you will not listen to others, nor should trust fully others experience in such a 'personal' matter.

I totally agree. To quote Nike “just do it”.
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,755 ✭✭
    I've played well (and poorly) with both.

I couldn't put my finger on it until someone else posted it in another thread, but the TP5 feels "heavier" than the TP5X. This is probably the realization of a softer feel in the TP5, and the sense that you might be able to work it better because it can be felt on the face longer.

Outside of this perceived difference in weight and softness, I don't notice too much difference in performance from one to the other.
  • hm59hm59 MDMembers Posts: 302 ✭✭
    As much as I thought I would like the TP5X better, I found the TP5 better for my game. The TP5X might be a little longer off the driver for me, but I found the TP5 more controllable if that makes sense. The two perform pretty similarly in the short game for me, just found it a little easier to control the distance with my irons with the TP5.
    Cobra F8+
    Tour Edge CB2
    Cobra King F6 Baffler
    Cobra King Forged CB
    Vokey SM6 
    Scotty Cameron IBDD
  • SM1098SM1098 Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    TP5X for me had a more firm feeling to it, especially with the putter.

TP5 wasn't a bad substitution for the X model - however, given the choice... the TP5X works best for my game
  • hwturner17hwturner17 Members Posts: 327 ✭✭

noodle3872 wrote:

Just a bit softer? I was leaning toward the TP5 but play the ProV1X and was thinking maybe the TP5X would be similar

The feel of the TP5X will resemble the ProV1X more than the TP5 would due to the compression being higher. Same flight characteristics too
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus
    FW: Ping Anser 4 wood
    Irons: Ping i210 4-U
    Wedges: 54/58 MD Forged
    Putter: Odyssey #7

Ball: revolving door
  • sos7sos7 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I think the tp5 is more consistent especially with short irons/ full wedge shots compared to tp5x. No fliers
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,028 ClubWRX
    I played TP5 all of 2017 after a very short comparison of the two last spring. I chose the TP5 because it felt better around the greens and off the putter, plus I was worried the TP5x wouldn't spin enough on long irons. Fast forward to 2018 and I ended up switching to TP5x after I had a chance to do a more detailed side by side this spring.

I prefer the TP5x because my mid-to-long irons fly higher, carry a bit farther, and are not as affected by the wind compared to TP5. Driver performance is nearly the same, but the TP5x seems to add a touch more ball speed (small enough that it's probably just sample error). It is firmer off the putter (which is fine) and I don't get quite as much spin on touch shots around the greens when compared to TP5, but the difference is minute and not enough to override the other factors that led me to switching to TP5x this year. All in all, switching to TP5x was absolutely the correct decision for me and my play this summer has validated the switch.

It would be great if the next version had all the same performance of the TP5x, but with slightly better green side characteristics. That would be my ideal ball.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • thedurtydurdenthedurtydurden Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    edited Oct 4, 2018 #24
    I've played both the last two years. First with the TP5x, the length of that ball was intoxicating. I just hit bombs with it. But I grew more and more frustrated with the lack of spin I was getting under 100 yards, so I switched to the reg TP5. I couldn't be happier. Nearly as long but definitely some more spin and control, and still great in the wind. Plus, it feels great and is incredibly durable.

FWIW, I started last year playing the new ProV1 and really liked it. Hated the new ProV1x, just spun way too much for me. I've tried some other balls in this range and nothing checks all the boxes like the TM balls.
    Tour Issue M2 Speeder Evo 2.0 Tour Spec 661X
    Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
    Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT
    Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT
    Cobra PUR 50, 55, 60 Versatile
    Scotty Cameron
  • RobYakesRobYakes "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen" Washington, D.C.Members, ClubWRX Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I've played both but prefer the TP5x. Like a harder ball and can hit my wedges on the number and not worry about them checking back more than a foot or two. I'm still a huge fan of the 2016 Tour Preferred X. Wish I had grabbed more before they became hard to find. IMO the 2016 is more durable than the TP5 or TP5x.
    M4 9.5* Speeder Evo II 661X // M4 15* HZRDUS Black 6.5 // M4 18* HZRDUS Red 6.5 // P790 Modus 120S //
    MILLED GRIND 50* & 54* Modus 115W // HI-TOE 60* Modus 115W // SPIDER TOUR RED 34" // TP5X
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members Posts: 910 ✭✭
    Loved both of them but the TP5 was a little too spiny for my driver swing. Misses to the right tended to flare pretty bad. Where the TP5x would hold its line a little better.
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭
    For me the x is very long and straight. Great ball.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • rayguy24rayguy24 Members Posts: 76
    Agree that this is a personal choice. Get a sleeve of both and see how they perform for you.