"Forged feel", blech....

shanx

I'm selling off all my forged sets, going back to cast....

Never really experienced any "butter soft" feel that so many say is there. Owned plenty of Mizzy, Titleist, exotic Japanese forgings, they all felt hard as rocks to me.

Admittedly, my ballstriking is not optimal, and I am back to using my old Cally X20 Pros, but they feel better to me, softer.

Am I alone?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Requires a good strike on the sweet spot. Otherwise yea, gonna feel like a rock. A lot of multi-material cavity back designs dampen the feedback, so they aren't as harsh. But the blade guy will say that doesn't improve the feel, it just removes all the feel.

Personally, I can't stand MB forged irons. I need a little help.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

It's not so much the manufacturing process (forged vs cast) but rather the design of the head, quality of strike, and audio feedback that changes my 'perception' of feel.

A week ago I played a round in 30 - 45+ kmh winds. At times the howling of the wind made it difficult to hear the strike. Every shot felt different than normal. Almost a hollow sensation at impact. Good shots and not so good shots felt eerily similar. Only the thin stingers were really noticeable as I felt the shot in my hands.

Makes me wonder what I would think if I wore ear plugs during a round.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

The old adage that you have bitten off more than one can chew is quite applicable to golfers who start later in life... playing with blades. CB's are there to help the average golfer, use them.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

If your ball striking isnt optimal then your premise already fell apart...

That being said, many cast clubs can hold their own in the 'feel' department. BUT If you strike a true soft forging with a good action consistently you'd never think what you do.

Strikers can tell the difference and appreciate a great forging.

I disagree.

I know where this is going so we will agree to disagree but I’m basing my poll on my experience and engineering background.

It's not so much the manufacturing process (forged vs cast) but rather the design of the head, quality of strike, and audio feedback that changes my 'perception' of feel.

A week ago I played a round in 30 - 45+ kmh winds. At times the howling of the wind made it difficult to hear the strike. Every shot felt different than normal. Almost a hollow sensation at impact. Good shots and not so good shots felt eerily similar. Only the thin stingers were really noticeable as I felt the shot in my hands.

No, you're likely not alone. I can tell the difference between my forged irons and my cast ones. Although the difference between my two main sets is pretty small.

And if you missing the sweet spot fairly consistently, you probably shouldn't even be playing blades. Forged or otherwise. JMO. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

It's been discussed to no end, and even some tour level testing, but a purely hit shot with a "forged" head isn't going to feel too much different than purely his shot with a "cast" head. A "purely" struck shot is just that - perfectly centered both vertically/horizontally on the COG, and given the same shaft/grip, both will provide the same perception of "Feel".

Forging vs Cast doesn't make a club "feel" softer, unless it's mental. The design (MB vs CB), the shaft, and to a lesser extent the type of steel used can all make a difference in perceived "Feel", but just "Forged vs Cast" is overrated. A perfectly struck shot with a MB might feel marginally better than a perfectly struck shot with a CB, but not enough for most of us to notice.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Forged definitely feels/sounds amazing when you strike the sweet spot IMHO, but there's this false notion that cast is inherently more forgiving. It's not. It's just a different construction process.

While most Forged clubs tend to be players club designs (adding circumstantial weight to the myth) there are Forged clubs out there in more game improvement designs. Srixon and Wilson certainly come to mind.

I disagree.

I know where this is going so we will agree to disagree but I’m basing my poll on my experience and engineering background.

Not sure what you disagree with and I certainly have no clue where I'm heading.

I do agree that the shaft plays a role in the feel of a club head.

I've put 12 sets of irons into play this year (blades/CBS/forged/cast/graphite/steel/different manufacturers) but am fully aware that my experiences may be different from the player in the next stall at the range.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Its been said but hitting the ball in the center of the club face makes a huge difference. It's one of the reasons I appreciate the one piece forgings, I like to get a little feedback when I miss.... But puring one is one of the greatest feelings ever.

IBTL, btw.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

It's been discussed to no end, and even some tour level testing, but a purely hit shot with a "forged" head isn't going to feel too much different than purely his shot with a "cast" head. A "purely" struck shot is just that - perfectly centered both vertically/horizontally on the COG, and given the same shaft/grip, both will provide the same perception of "Feel".

Forging vs Cast doesn't make a club "feel" softer, unless it's mental. The design (MB vs CB), the shaft, and to a lesser extent the type of steel used can all make a difference in perceived "Feel", but just "Forged vs Cast" is overrated. A perfectly struck shot with a MB might feel marginally better than a perfectly struck shot with a CB, but not enough for most of us to notice.

All else being the same, yes I agree. Except all else isnt the same, the metals used in forgings are typically softer than those used in cast clubs and the club geometries that are attainable with each time of manufacturing process also plays a roll in terms of the size of the sweet spot. These differences can certainly play a roll in sound and haptic feedback, which translate to perceived "feel" .

Case in point, the last few generations of iphones that still have the home button. The home "button" doesn't translate, but sound and felt vibration are used to mimic that sensation.

What cracks me up is how people play forged irons and rave about the feel but pair them with cast wedges. Best example I can think of is playing Titlest or Mizuno blades with Cleveland 588s or Vokeys. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every set of players mb/cb irons I have played, but I think proportionally I have hit more full and partial wedge shots than anything else. Flushing center feels wonderful with either!

If anything can go right, it might!

You need to hit the center of the face...

That's with any club, lol....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

PXG ......nuff said

Forged hollow body ....forgiving as all getup .....very muted soft feel all over the face

Well yeah - SpeedFoam!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Commenting only on the bold part as it appears other sections of your post touched a nerve...

About five years ago, I was playing Mizuno MP-64 with Modus-3 120s and playing regularly at a course in very close proximity to a military airfield. There were aircraft in the landing pattern on a regular basis after a while you didn't really notice the noise. One day on a par three, with either a 7i or 8i, I hit my ball just as a jet was passing very nearly overhead (ie, 'normal' sound completely drowned out by the sound of freedom). I had absolutely no sensation whatsoever. As my head lifted during follow-through, I couldn't see the ball due to sun position. No sh!t, thought I had whiffed. I looked down, the ball was gone, there was a very slight divot in front of the tee that had been set just barely pround of the ground. My playing partner wondered what my issue was. I explained I felt nothing and wondered what had happened. He reported the ball was on the back of the green. Nearly identical scenario unfolded about a week later from the first cut of rough with a mid iron.

While that scenario (an utterly pured shot with very little ground impact and 'normal' sound completely overcome by jet noise) only occurred twice, there is no doubt in my mind that sound is about 90% of 'feel'.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Forged feeling softer than cast = BS (myth)

Muscle back (mb) blade clubs feel soft/pure on center strikes because the mass is directly behind the sweet spot.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

The old adage that you have bitten off more than one can chew is quite applicable to golfers who start later in life... playing with blades. CB's are there to help the average golfer, use them.

... Really? I didn't start paying until I was 29. I started with MB's and played them for many years. Switching from Apex 99's to 962's was great for my game. And I made to to where I am today with CB's. Not making a MB vs CB argument, just that your statement is absolutely player dependent.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x