Rangefinders and GPS Units. Use 'em ?

nsxguynsxguy Just anudder userFloridaMembers Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
A recent thread popped up about a guy playing very well in heavy wind without using his rangefinder and asking if they're necessary.

Which makes me wonder about rangefinder and GPS usage so I figured what the heck, I'll start a poll. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

If you dare, vote for the PRIMARY WAY you play. For the other 2 sections, vote "Never".
Post edited by Unknown User on

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
Titleist AVX

Comments

• I use both as of recent. I used to only have gps, but got hooked on the range finder after I played with a couple people that have them.
    Ping G400 LST 10* Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 Testing:Srixon z785 9* Tensei PO 70tx and Ping G400max 9* Tensei PO 70tx
    TM M3HL Tensei PO 80tx
    X-forged 4-P C-taper 125 S+
    MD4 raw 50*s-grind, 56*c-grind KBS 610 wedge 125g
    TM Hi-toe 60* $-taper black 120
    Evnroll ER2
    Bennington QO9 Lite
    Bridgestone Tour BRX, Srixon Z star XV

Backup: Srixon z565 4-aw Modus Tour 105, Callaway Rogue 4w Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

As of just now, 114 views of the topic and only 7 members voted in an ANONYMOUS poll.

Gotta wonder why. Just love this place. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Titleist AVX
  • CelerasCeleras Posts: 147 ✭✭
    I mean.. you couldn't have made a worse configured poll if you tried. Way too many options, and you sorted by handicap instead of the variable you're actually asking about. Most people are going to take one look at that monstrosity and bail.
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 10.5* PX Even Flow Black 75 6.0
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* PX Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
    Ping G400 Hybrid 19* Alta CB 70 Stiff
    Ping G400 5-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff, Green Dot
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB Wedge Set 56/60*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #7
    Callaway Fusion 14
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,734 ClubWRX
    And you have to answer all three sections each of which contradict each other.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • Event^HorizonEvent^Horizon Members Posts: 71
    I use a rangefinder. One of the best golf purchases I have made.
  • saksittbsaksittb Members Posts: 118
    Yea. That's a crazy poll. I use my Neo Ghost and love it. Pretty darn accurate.
    2017 TaylorMade M2 10.5* Driver
    2017 TaylorMade M2 3 wood 15*
    2017 Taylor Made M1 4-PW
    Ping Zing Black Dot 3 Iron
    MCC 4 Plus Grey Standard Grips; 4 Wraps
    Titleist SM5 58/08
    Titleist SM5 54/10
    Odyssey 2 Ball Putter w/ Super Stroke Flatso 3.0
    Celeras wrote:

I mean.. you couldn't have made a worse configured poll if you tried. Way too many options, and you sorted by handicap instead of the variable you're actually asking about. Most people are going to take one look at that monstrosity and bail.

I apologize. Sorry I wasted your time.

Guess I should have know after all this time that nobody likes to read. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

dbdors wrote:

How do they "contradict" each other ? image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Rangefinder only.

GPS only.

Use Both.

Titleist AVX
    nsxguy wrote:

Celeras wrote:

Guess I should have know after all this time that nobody likes to read. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

dbdors wrote:

How do they "contradict" each other ? image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Rangefinder only.

GPS only.

Use Both.

Because I use both, so answering "range finder only" is not accurate and "GPS only" is not accurate. The way the poll is setup you have to choose all three (at least it would not save unless i choose all three). So I would have to choose 2 answers that aren't correct.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
  • pholwaypholway Members Posts: 441
    Leupold Gx-4i. Best ranger finder around. Got it at a Golfsmith store when the were closing up shop for 50% off retail. I used to be a sky caddy guy but changed to a couple iPhone apps for when I want a GPS as well.
    TM M4 Oban Devotion 6 04
    Titleist TS2 13.5* Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Callaway Epic 5W set to 17* Project X Hzrdus Yellow (Handcrafted) or Ping G15 17* Aldila Serrano 75R (yep, Regular Flex Serrano)
    Titleist 915 HD 21.5* GD AD DI Hybrid 75s
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-AW KBS C-Taper Lite S
    Vokey SM6 KBS C-Taper R
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
    dbdors wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

Celeras wrote:

dbdors wrote:

Rangefinder only.

GPS only.

Use Both.

Because I use both, so answering "range finder only" is not accurate and "GPS only" is not accurate. The way the poll is setup you have to choose all three (at least it would not save unless i choose all three). So I would have to choose 2 answers that aren't correct.

So ? I still don't see any contradiction.

If you "ALWAYS" use both you "NEVER" use RF Only and "NEVER" use GPS Only

You answered your own "question". AFAIK, with multiple questions in a poll, ALL must be answered - hence the "never (only)" option in each question.

Titleist AVX
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #12
    nsxguy wrote:

dbdors wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

Celeras wrote:

dbdors wrote:

Rangefinder only.

GPS only.

Use Both.

You answered your own "question". AFAIK, with multiple questions in a poll, ALL must be answered - hence the "never (only)" option in each question.

Yes, you’re right, 283 views, 11 votes! And an unsubscribe for me.

dbdors wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

dbdors wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

dbdors wrote:

Rangefinder only.

GPS only.

Use Both.

Yes, you're right, 283 views, 11 votes! And an unsubscribe for me.

A point I made myself just a few posts above. image/help.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':help:' /> Which of course has nothing to do with the post "contradicting" itself (your "point" after all)

There ya go. When confronted with a question you can't answer, move the goalposts. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

So, as I said, they don't "contradict" each other. Thanks for the confirmation. image/hi.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':hi:' />

Titleist AVX
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,184 ✭✭
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #14
    nsxguy wrote:

As of just now, 114 views of the topic and only 7 members voted in an ANONYMOUS poll.

Gotta wonder why. Just love this place. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Maybe this will help. I attempted to vote, and got this:

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#10355]

You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

without the red coloring, that is.

I don't have a GPS, so I didn't vote for that question, or the third. The implication, if you vote "never use it" in a section is that you have such a beast and choose not to use it.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #15
    NRJyzr wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

[#10355]

I don't have a GPS, so I didn't vote for that question, or the third. The implication, if you vote "never use it" in a section is that you have such a beast and choose not to use it.

I can't help how polls work. And I'd have to disagree with what you believe was implied.

There is an option to allow MULTIPLE answers to a question but none that I could see to leave any (of multiple) questions UNanswered. Hence the "Never" possible response.

If you don't HAVE a GPS you clearly "never use one".

Sorry for the confusion.

Titleist AVX
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,184 ✭✭
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #16
    nsxguy wrote:

NRJyzr wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

[#10355]

I can't help how polls work. And I'd have to disagree with what you believe was implied.

There is an option to allow MULTIPLE answers to a question but none that I could see to leave any (of multiple) questions UNanswered. Hence the "Never" possible response.

If you don't HAVE a GPS you clearly "never use one".

Sorry for the confusion.

I'll start by saying no snark intended...

I realize others may interpret the question differently than I, and in line with how you do. However, I would guess the number of views combined with lack of votes may suggest I'm on to something.

To offer an answer to the poll... I own a rangefinder. I use it virtually all the time, though since I play the same course primarily, there are times I don't bother, having seen several shots quite a few times in the last 10 years. And, knowing the course yardage markers are done well. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Almost forgot, I'm a 7 index.

And I did forget... I do not own a GPS, and generally prefer not to rely on them, unless there's no other option. Have been burned a few times by significantly incorrect readings.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,229 ✭✭
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #17
    Have both, use both when needed. Nice to know where the green front/back is (GPS) and flag (laser), don't use them much on drives of layups unless it is a new course. Inside 150, the laser is a must.
  • maranamarana Members Posts: 3
    Have both.. use GPS (voice caddy) much more then Bushnell v4
  • jasonp87jasonp87 Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
    This poll is flawed. I ha e both use both. Yet must answer questions related to only 1 as well tbus skewing any data.
    Driver
    TM M3 (8.5) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR