Golf is Not a Team Sport

Comments

• NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 609 ✭✭
    Wearing a uniform won't turn solitaire into a team sport :-)
  • spbrooksspbrooks Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

When your playing in the RC its a team sport, the Americans haven't figured that out yet because it's all about me.

I dunno, I look at guys like Poulter and Rory. They seem like "me" guys to me. Easy to get along with everyone when you win. Europe just played better simple as that.
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB

Ping G 14.5

Callaway Apex UT 21* or Titleist 816H 19*

Titleist 918 AP2 4-pw Project X 6.0

Titleist SM6 50,54,58

Scotty Laguna

TM TP 5
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,386 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

Collecting individuals under a "team" name doesn't make it a team sport.

Team sports = football, lacrosse, basketball, cricket, volleyball etc.

Individual sports = tennis, golf, fencing, judo etc.

Odds the OP is American?
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • FIRs&GIRs&3-PuttsFIRs&GIRs&3-Putts Members Posts: 483 ✭✭
    tatertot wrote:

Naptime wrote:

Odds the OP is American?

100%, they mention lacrosse in a serious tone. That can’t be done by any other group.
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 4,974 ✭✭

Well golf is an individual sport.

You can practice and play the game on your own without relying on any one else (ie no support crew needed neither)

Well golf is an individual sport.

You can practice and play the game on your own without relying on any one else (ie no support crew needed neither)

Really? At the highest level golf is a team sport. Player, caddie, coach, equipment tech etc. The best players put the best TEAM together to help them win. A more extreme example of this is motorsport. The driver may be an individual but "team" is critical to be successful.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    Nah it's a team sport and the US team lost again.

I'm always impressed how well these team members can come together, take their individual match losses, and combine them into a monumental collective loss. Kudos to them image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    andrue wrote:

Naptime wrote:

Sour grapes, already? Sacré bleu!

Mais non, mon ami.
  • Event^HorizonEvent^Horizon Members Posts: 71
    During the Ryder Cup it is a team sport.
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #40
    By these definitions boxing is a team sport. I don't really care that the US lost, though I wish it had not been a blowout. My point is all the forum whining (before this thread was moved from Tour) about the team aspects. Putting 12 guys in the same uniform a week before they perform in a format unlike their day jobs is hardly how teams really work. Assembling a real team with definable role players is not the same as putting together a midseason all star exhibition game.
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,605 ✭✭
    It still comes down to who has the strongest team of players wins the Ryder Cup.

tatertot wrote:

Naptime wrote:

Odds the OP is American?

100%, they mention lacrosse in a serious tone. That can't be done by any other group.

Actually Canadians are great lacrosse players...
    Naptime wrote:

By these definitions boxing is a team sport. I don't really care that the US lost, though I wish it had not been a blowout. My point is all the forum whining (before this thread was moved from Tour) about the team aspects. Putting 12 guys in the same uniform a week before they perform in a format unlike their day jobs is hardly how teams really work. Assembling a real team with definable role players is not the same as putting together a midseason all star exhibition game.

I could of sworn they call getting invited to a midseason all star exhibition game, making the All Star Team. My bad.

Naptime wrote:

tatertot wrote:

Naptime wrote:

Odds the OP is American?

100%, they mention lacrosse in a serious tone. That can't be done by any other group.

Actually Canadians are great lacrosse players...

Lacrosse is Canada's National Sport and has been played there since the 1800. Canada also invented basketball BTY.

They also include Cricket - a rarely played sport in North America
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #44
    Naptime wrote:

Fantastic.

Going forward they can make up roles and assign neato names to each of the 12 spots to make it all teamy for you and then the Captain can tell us...

"Well I put JT in the leadoff spot because we need a hot start and his scoring average on the first 6 holes in tournaments is tops and the role I envisioned for him when he made the team. Now Tony, you know his calm demeanor and all round play was perfect for the cincher role at the #5 spot, to maintain our momentum. I probably made a mistake putting Phil in as the potter, you know on account of him being crap, but I had nowhere else to put him."

Barring that it's really simple. Don't watch.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    OP, have you played college golf? It's definitely a team sport.

Even high school golf. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,386 ✭✭

Technically ... A Canadian invented basketball, while in and working with Americans in the USA.

And ... Lacrosse is Canada's National SUMMER Sport. We all know what their winter sport is.

Both non-sequiturs ... OP certainly sounds like sour grapes.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
    tatertot wrote:

Technically ... A Canadian invented basketball, while in and working with Americans in the USA.

And ... Lacrosse is Canada's National SUMMER Sport. We all know what their winter sport is.

Both non-sequiturs ... OP certainly sounds like sour grapes.

It was relatively recently that lacrosse was just made the summer sport - like 20 years ago I think, before that it was the only national sport.
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #48

OP, have you played college golf? It's definitely a team sport.

Even high school golf. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Track?

Gymanstics?

Swimming?

Team sports that are a collection of individual accomplishments.

If you have ever played in an alternate shot event, you would have to be a psychopath not to think you are part of a team.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ryanarnesonryanarneson Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

When your playing in the RC its a team sport, the Americans haven't figured that out yet because it's all about me.

They figured it out 2 years ago just fine. And they figure it out ever other year in the President's Cup just fine as well.
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,975 ✭✭
    Yikes...wonder what the guys who say it can’t be a team sport say about track and field? 4x100?
    Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
    Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
    Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
    Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭
    Golf is not a team sport.

But the PGA Tour insist on having a playoff series.

Crazy times...
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 940 ✭✭
    Agreed. It’s a team event but the end result is always equal to the sum of the parts. In a true team sport the sum of the individual parts is not always equal to the end result.
  • herdmanherdman Members Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #53
    Some guys thrive in it. Guys like Poulter and Sergio. I think some guys thrive in it because there is a somewhat less pressure than when they are in a major or tournament. Take a guy like Poulter. Won't been in the HOF, but he is a great Ryder Cup player? Why? He just needs to be better than a guy on particular day or hole. Not over four rounds with a major on the line on Sunday. It relieves pressure. Garcia. Finally got a major, but probably should have 6 of them. Great Ryder Cup player? Why, less pressure that doing it on a Sunday or over four rounds.

A guy like Tiger Woods might be ticked off for a week or two(maybe a day or two), but he is focusing on majors and has 80 wins.

Getting Ryder Cup points won't get you in the HOF. Being in contention in a major has to be a different kind of pressure. Garcia handles Ryder cup pressure better because in my opinion he has teammates to fall back on. Tiger Woods was built to win tournaments and majors. The Ryder Cup is something he does every two years.
  • zootszoots Members Posts: 289 ✭✭
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,010 ClubWRX
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

I would agree with this.... You can see the Euros want to play for each other... I don't get that feeling from the US. Definitely some bigger egos on our side, looked like they were just there for a nice vacation...LOL I think having a bond as a team creates more accountability and makes these guys play some better golf. Good on the Europeans, they whooped us and looked pumped. So yes, I think golf CAN be a team sport... if your performance counts towards a single score for all, it seems like a team to me. Congrats to Europe, btw. You spanked us.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,500 ✭✭
    Well, there is no US in TEAM
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #57
    mukster wrote:

Well, there is no US in TEAM

No but there is ME ATE MEAT. Not sure what that means - apart from living in Texas gets you fixated on BBQ - but it is in there.
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,203 ✭✭
    2bGood wrote:

They also include Cricket - a rarely played sport in North America

An aside, but here's a good little trivia question: which two countries played in the first international game of cricket?

The answer is the USA and Canada, and it was back in 1844.

I have read that it was the American Civil War that made baseball more popular, as it could be played on rougher ground and required less space than cricket.

I imagine that cricket dropped out of favour in Canada because they kept losing the ball in the snow...
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭
    The snow is red in Canada? image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,203 ✭✭
    anth wrote:

The snow is red in Canada? image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

Yep, stained with the blood of their enemies. They may come across as all polite and apologetic, the Canadians, but believe me it's just a veneer of civility. Beneath that lies a raging, tumultuous torrent of barbarity.

That or the snow is 10ft deep. Year round. Or that when the players put on their cricket whites the crowd couldn't see them against the snow. Look, I am running out of Canadian tropes here.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭
    edited Oct 1, 2018 #61

Team sport or not the main reasons Americans don’t care about the Ryder Cup is:

1. As kids growing up they probably never heard of it.

2. Nobody really wants to watch golf in late September, especially if it’s happening on the other side of the planet.

3. And probably the biggest problem, even among golfers, nobody understands the scoring and whats at stake. And the media doesn’t seem to care to create easy to folllow scoring charts.

Pretty broad generalization, don’t you think??

Could be, but it’s not really a mystery. You want hard data and until you get it you feel justified with continuing the same ole American failure every two years. Yet you pretend it’s important and Americans should climb aboard and show their pride, for the good of country.... Get a grip. This is nothing but the same ole high society bs and it will never be any different than that stupid America’s Cup Sail Racing.

Where, in my post, did I say or suggest anything you just posted. “High society BS”!! You’re kidding right? I think you’re the one who needs to get a grip.

He's right. The scoring is hard to follow. It's like everytime somebody swings their stick, they get a point. That's highfalutin.