GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

VFT (Variable Face Thickness)

disco111 ·  
disco111disco111 Members  1339WRX Points: 418Handicap: 7Posts: 1,339 Platinum Tees
As a senior looking for distance help with irons, is there a minimum SS, that has little to no measurable effect on allowing the face to perform? Tried an on line search, but data was available, so I thought the WRX techs would have some input...........
Posted:

Comments

• rocket500rocket500 Members  157WRX Points: 74Posts: 157 Fairways
    I don’t know if anyone has studied it with irons but it’s definitely a diminishing returns proposition with lower swing speeds- in any club. Particularly with more lifted irons which are harder to create spring effect with given a more glancing blow.<br />
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • disco111disco111 Members  1339WRX Points: 418Handicap: 7Posts: 1,339 Platinum Tees
    Well for anyone that may be interested. I called Callaway Golf and spoke to a tech rep. He stated that there was no data concerning SS and VFT. It kind of makes you scratch your head, when TM has problems with their M1 irons (face caving in, even with a seniors low SS). Granted, it looks as thought TM's face is too thin, but other OEM's that offer the VFT technology you would think that some testing should have been done to see the benefits throughout the SS ranges. So my conclusion is that it may not be worth seeking VFT new irons for s slow SS.
    Posted:
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members  710WRX Points: 98Handicap: 8.0Posts: 710 Golden Tee
    I can tell you this... Callaway has had VFT in their iron lineup for years. Extereme perimeter weighting and the right shaft will be of more help. I M O<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Posted:
  • e-mane-man Members  2276WRX Points: 200Posts: 2,276 Platinum Tees
    Wait a minute. Back in the late 1990s, Callaway introduced the VFT driver (right after the ERC2, as I recall). Did VFT stand for variable face thickness??? I never knew that.
    Posted:
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19712WRX Points: 1,754Posts: 19,712 Titanium Tees
    Variable face thickness effects the COR, and I don't think it varies depending on the impact velocity. In other words, VFT will contribute to energy transfer (and distance) regardless of swing speed. COR will never affect distance as much as speed does though because the energy transfer is a function of the square of velocity but it's a direct relationship in regards to COR.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11631WRX Points: 2,296Posts: 11,631 Titanium Tees
    disco111 wrote:
    <br />
    As a senior looking for distance help with irons, is there a minimum SS, that has little to no measurable effect on allowing the face to perform? Tried an on line search, but data was available, so I thought the WRX techs would have some input...........<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    There is not much to gain from "HIGH COR" heads, and many who plays them complains about dispersion on distance (they might vary to much depending on impact)<br />
    Just make sure Total weight and balance is set right for you, then use lofts to get gaps as you want them. Irons is all about precision, not distance, so dont get tempted to gain half a iron if thats not a constant gain.<br />
    <br />
    Ive become old and much slower myself, so ive lost lots of distance, but as long as im precise, i can get a decent score when i play from a tee that fits me and the game i have now, so when we get older, we have to accept that we cant get the distances we used to, but they are not that needed when we can keep the ball in play and avoid messing it up by trying to force out a few more yards....<br />
    <br />
    So start by finding a weight range of shafts thats good. If what you play now has become a tad to heavy, you might gain some club speed from going lighter, and if balance is set right, you get more pured shots than now, so there is a potential to improve, WITHOUT using high COR heads who might be too variable on performance.<br />
    (Its not funny to pure the approach and see the ball go 10 yards over the green and into a lake behind it)
    Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers  2042WRX Points: 234Posts: 2,042 Platinum Tees
    There is no minimum speed, only a Max. Think of a club face like a spring. As long as to much force isn't applied the face will come back to it resting state. When to much force is applied to a spring it's stretches and will not return to it's original state. In golf club terms this is denting/flat spotting the face.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.