New PXG prototype driver

Comments

• erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,943 ✭✭
    Anyone see the 12* or 14* heads during your fittings ?

Driver: PXG Gen 2 0811 XF 14*
    FW: Ping G400 SFT 5w
    Hybrids: Exotics XRail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne H

• dukediv2011dukediv2011 Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    jongalt55 wrote:

Was fit for a driver, fairway, and hybrid today. Awesome clubs and the fitting was well worth it! Fit into the Tensei Pro White in all three clubs.

Can't wait to get them!

Where are you guys getting fit? I called our local Club Champion and they said they didn't have all the 2019 heads in yet.

There is a PXG studio in Northbrook (just north of Chicago). It's pretty awesome!
    PXG 0811X, Gen 2, 9
    PXG 0341X, Gen 2, 15
    PXG 0317X, Gen 2, 22
    PXG 0311T, Gen 1, (6, 8, W)
    58 degree wedge (coming soon)
    Artisan 0117
  • stk123stk123 Members Posts: 446 ✭✭

Axman55 wrote:

Deuce78 wrote:

Axman55 wrote:
    Put in the order for the X with Tensei PO, am excited to try it. Like that the head is heavy (206g I believe) and its 45”. No one does that anymore. Plus I think the look is great.

What flex? Did you blind order it or get fitted?

Went in blind. I ordered from a local rep. Went 70TX same as the Tensei Whites I play. If I hate the Orange I can switch it out. Couldn’t do a Club Champion fitting(only local fitter with PXG). Such a tedious process of trying to up sell shafts that would come with the club for extra 125$ through PXG. Last time I did a driver fitting they couldn’t find anything better than what I had fit for myself. Just rather avoid the BS and put it on BST if I don’t like it. I look at lost money on clubs as a demo fee.

I like that motto. Lost money on clubs is a demo fee. I’m going to try that one of my wife too:)

Lost money on a wife is a demo fee?
  • HercNavHercNav Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    jongalt55 wrote:

HercNav wrote:

Tried the new drivers today during a local fitting with the area rep. Head to head vs my G400 Max (Also was fitted for me), I gained 6mph ball speed, higher launch and lower spin. Love the sound too. Very muted. Kept the same loft as my G400 Max.

X or XF?

XF — though the X was no slouch for me.
  • HercNavHercNav Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    mlesser wrote:

HercNav wrote:

Tried the new drivers today during a local fitting with the area rep. Head to head vs my G400 Max (Also was fitted for me), I gained 6mph ball speed, higher launch and lower spin. Love the sound too. Very muted. Kept the same loft as my G400 Max.

Probably shouldn't have read this, would like to hear more!

Dang you guys blew up this topic in a hurry
  • snagy2000snagy2000 Members Posts: 1,567 ✭✭
    jongalt55 wrote:

Was fit for a driver, fairway, and hybrid today. Awesome clubs and the fitting was well worth it! Fit into the Tensei Pro White in all three clubs.

Can't wait to get them!

Where are you guys getting fit? I called our local Club Champion and they said they didn't have all the 2019 heads in yet.

Local area PXG master fitter. IMO, Club Champion is a hassle because they're always trying to push high dollar exotic shafts.
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 6:31pm #278
    snagy2000 wrote:

jongalt55 wrote:

Can't wait to get them!

Local area PXG master fitter. IMO, Club Champion is a hassle because they're always trying to push high dollar exotic shafts.

I feel like once I decided on M4 heads at Club champion, he deliberately put me into a shaft I couldn’t directly order from Taylormade. I’m not buying $2500 worth of clubs for $4500 no matter how good they are assembled. I swung PXG but shouldn’t have told him I’m a firefighter and could get them through the heroes program.
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,496 ✭✭
    snagy2000 wrote:

jongalt55 wrote:

Can't wait to get them!

Agreed! Don’t forget about puring each head and swing weighting everything for more jack$$$.

CC is just a giant upsell...
  • reg1900reg1900 Members Posts: 1,069
    DFDLT wrote:

snagy2000 wrote:

jongalt55 wrote:

Can't wait to get them!

I feel like once I decided on M4 heads at Club champion, he deliberately put me into a shaft I couldn’t directly order from Taylormade. I’m not buying $2500 worth of clubs for $4500 no matter how good they are assembled. I swung PXG but shouldn’t have told him I’m a firefighter and could get them through the heroes program.

How much is the heroes discount?

snagy2000 wrote:

jongalt55 wrote:

Can't wait to get them!

Agreed! Don’t forget about puring each head and swing weighting everything for more jack$$$.

Oh yeah, they can't even get it right....One and done with them...No driver should ever be D7...
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    reg1900 wrote:

DFDLT wrote:

snagy2000 wrote:

jongalt55 wrote:

Can't wait to get them!

How much is the heroes discount?

Heroes program discounts Gen 1 clubs for military and first responders. Gen 1 irons are $125 a club. Driver $295, woods $250, and hybrids $200.
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

It's a PING copy with twice the price tag

It isn’t a copy and is much less than twice the price, but apart from that you are spot on!
  • zeke66zeke66 Members Posts: 188
    snagy2000 wrote:

snagy2000 wrote:

jongalt55 wrote:

Can't wait to get them!

Oh yeah, they can't even get it right....One and done with them...No driver should ever be D7...

Ironically my current PXG driver the X is D7. I ordered it that way with tensei orange and they made it perfect. Perfect length, swing weight and accounted for grip and everything. I went and checked it and the guy at the golf store walked back and said “D 7 point 0” and I was juiced. I also love hitting it. I’m not sure if I’m totally in the minority on this but it’s awesome. Can’t wait to play the new one.
    Gen2 drivers come at D3 unless requested per fitter.
  • davo32683davo32683 Members Posts: 2,093 ✭✭
    HercNav wrote:

Man I'm sorry to be that guy, but sounds odd to me to pick up 6mph. I mean I think the PXG could be special too, but that's a huge delta.
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 8° Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Titleist TS3 15° 3 Wood Evenflow White 75 6.5
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 125
    Titleist SM7 Raw 50° Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Oil Can Wedgeworks V Grind 54°
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 60°
    Evnroll ER5B
    Custom Torched Evnroll ER2
    Custom MannKrafted WB-XL Long Pipe Neck
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members Posts: 1,651 ClubWRX
    Deuce78 wrote:

Well I will be hitting it against my ping next week....will report back after... B) :P
    Please do as I should have said it's more of a PING knock off as there is not a driver out there worth $500.
    SPARKP wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:

What is the price of the new PXG drivers?

(HINT: It's not twice the cost of a PING.)

Just shows the validity of the post. Nothing but a PXG hater looking for crumbs!!!!
    Some of the R & D team left PING for PXG so there are some similarity's as I had to throw that in there about being a PING knockoff since they Bob tried his best to throw a lawsuit at TaylorMade's P790's irons and failed. Actually there is no driver out there worth $500 so it's just a statement so keep your crumbs as you might need them being a PXG FAN Boy.
    Tiptx1122 wrote:
    SPARKP wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:

Just shows the validity of the post. Nothing but a PXG hater looking for crumbs!!!!
    Some of the R & D team left PING for PXG so there are some similarity's as I had to throw that in there about being a PING knockoff since they Bob tried his best to throw a lawsuit at TaylorMade's P790's irons and failed. Actually there is no driver out there worth $500 so it's just a statement so keep your crumbs as you might need them being a PXG FAN Boy.

Why do you care what anyone else spends their money on?
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 60°
    Evnroll ER5B
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,496 ✭✭
    Heading out to our first mainland tournament of the 2018-2019 PGA Tour season today 🙌🏽 #pxgtroops
  • Hacker541Hacker541 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

SPARKP wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:

Valuable post. Thank you for your insight.
  • Eric05Eric05 Members Posts: 505 ✭✭
    I do have to say I like what PXG has done with the pricing on this driver. $575.00 is a great price especially with what everyone else is doing. In the beginning it would of been better if they would of said you know our pricing is high because it cost us more to order 10,000 heads. Now they probably built the hype up. Got more people into it. And then ordered more units. The supplier I am sure would give a better discount with 20k heads vs 10k
    ~2019 Bag
    --TM M5--Tensei Pro White 60s
    --TM M5 3Rocket--Tensei Pro White 70s
    --TM M6 3 Hybrid--C6 Black hybrid 80s
    --
    JPX 919 Tour KBS Tour 90S
    --Vokey SM7
    50F, 55S, 60S
    --TM Spider Red Tour
    --Prov1 X

~2018 Bag
    --TM M4--Tour AD Di 6 Black Edition
    --TM
    M4 3F--Tour AD DI 7S
    --TM M4 19 Hybrid Tour AD DI 85S
    --TM P790 4-6 NIPPON MODUS 105S

--TM P770 7-PW NIPPON MODUS 105S
    --TM MILLED GRIND 52,56,60 S300
    --TM
    Spider RED Tour
    --TP5x
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

SPARKP wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:

While there may be similarities those engineers now have free reign with their designs. It may not be worth it to you but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth it to someone else.

As far as I know the pxg vs Tm lawsuit is still going on so how can you say it was a fail.
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

SPARKP wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:

Derp.
  • zeke66zeke66 Members Posts: 188
    Just played again with my original X model. If they somehow were able to change the look at address.. make it look more square.. or whatever this would be the best driver I’ve ever played. Hearing that the new one looks awesome. Could be the real winner.
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 894 ClubWRX
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

SPARKP wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:

Oh I am definitely a PXG fan as they are great clubs. But I post facts and not senseless rambling that has no truth to it !!!!

TAYLOR MADE M6 10.5* | Ventus 6-S
    TAYLOR MADE M4 3wd | Graphite Design IZ-7 stiff
    ADAMS PRO A12 - 2 & 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya VTS Silver
    PXG GEN-2 0311XF 4 - 6 irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PXG GEN-2 0311P 7 - GW irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 SW 54* - 12 | Wedge Flex
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 LW 58* - 6 | Wedge Flex
    PXG GUNBOAT H Putter
    PXG STAFF BAG

Have driver fitting tomorrow. Testing only 0811 X model with Pro White, Snergy Black, Elements Proto, TPT proto 14 shafts. All TX in diffferent weight ls each model shaft from 75g to 100g.

With 0811X head weight at 199g and testing some counterbalance shafts will be going to at least 212g to get desired SW.

Will report back.

How did it go?
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 60°
    Evnroll ER5B
  • StonebridgeStonebridge Members Posts: 366 ✭✭
    davo32683 wrote:

Have driver fitting tomorrow. Testing only 0811 X model with Pro White, Snergy Black, Elements Proto, TPT proto 14 shafts. All TX in diffferent weight ls each model shaft from 75g to 100g.

With 0811X head weight at 199g and testing some counterbalance shafts will be going to at least 212g to get desired SW.

Will report back.

How did it go?

Tested both Driver and 13* 2 wood against M2 3 wood. Current driver M1 460 7.5* so same set up in PXG 9* model turned down to 7.5*. PXG head set at 7.5* still looked really good and square. Ball flight with slight PXG launched higher 13* vs 11* with M1. Highest smash was 1.46 so a little low. Weight was added to PXG head, up to 206g to have SW around D2. Feel, sound and consistency of the face were excellent. Spin was consistently 1600-1800 without compromising launch so the PXG driver really delivers from that standpoint.

The sleeper was the 2 wood. Compared to M2, the distance with the PXG was the same but the launch to achieve the same spin numbers was around 3-4* higher. Feel and consistency were far better with the PXG.

Overall, once dialed in with the correct shaft the feel, consistency, higher launch/lower spin combo of the PXG will make this club a great driver. The 2 wood is a must if you are looking for a long 3 wood from the tee. Testing conditions were not ideal, low 40's and 20-30 MPH winds but both clubs gave a tight shot pattern.
  • Deuce78Deuce78 Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭
    Good effort! Hard to get fit in sub 60 temps...thanks for the update.
    TM M5 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
    PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
    PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
    Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x
    MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/5-7-965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW
    Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/TVD/black Glides
    NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x
    Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM

Tiptx1122 wrote:

$500 for Ping

$575 for PXG
    My mistake as I thought they would have been much more as both are over priced
    kylesilk wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:

And really, if you care about mass properties and the actual performance of a club, the new PXG's are (reportedly) dissimilar from what PING currently has on the market. One of these new PXG drivers has (reportedly) a higher MOI than any PING offering, and the other PXG has a vastly lower center of gravity.

I'm all for merited PXG critique, but yeah...

...two strikes.

This guy shows to bash in every PXG thread.
    Actually I have said a few good things as really I'm surprised that how easy it is to justify a purchase when the newer stuff comes out when it's no better than the previous model. Never hear much about the Sugar Daddy wedges why is that? Anyhow glad PXG is your club of choice. If the Hero's program was offered when I bought my last set I may have bought a set but I was fitted and very pleased except for the price I paid. Oh well, I don't care how people spend their money as we all work hard for our money.