Cold-weather golf

Comments

• uitar9uitar9 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Found a pair of large cobra mitts. Great between swings.

Layers

and walk

Walked 9 holes on Saturday. 3 C and no wind.

We got more than a foot of snow today. The courses won't bother to reopen
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway
    [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]20.5 [/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 5-PW irons[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 52 and 56 wedges[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]TM Spider mallet[/font]
  • senatornewsomesenatornewsome Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I just bought the Titleist hand warmer and it amazing. I can wear it all round around my waist and use it while im waiting for my turn to go, it keeps the hands very warm. Im sure you can find another brands version for cheaper than titleist too!
  • finleysgfinleysg MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Thin wool under-layer, wool trousers, golf shirt, wool sweater, warm lid.
    D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
    3W: Rogue SZ - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 Graphite
    3H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
    4H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
    Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 52, Ping Glide 58
    Putter: OWorks 2-ball

Brand Loyalty: None

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,213 ✭✭
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #35
    Make an investment in Merino wool base layer (ll bean Cresta wool or Smart wool to name two brands). You can wear it against the skin or on top of a thin wicking synthetic. Excellent for cool to cold weather warmth. Layer up as others said.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,340 ClubWRX

DavyC wrote:

Your yardages are going to be all f****d up.

I was surprised how true this is even for short shots that don't rely on roll. Ended a short round on a par 3 the other day, where I normally hit center-green with a slightly choked-down PW. Flag was in the back of the rather deep green, so I figured I'd just do a full swing. Barely reached the front of the green! Thought it was a fluke, hit two more, all right on the front green.

So yes, clubbing up is not optional on any shot image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

How cold is it in Fargo now?
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,279 ✭✭
    Walk, use a brightly colored, soft, ball (Callaway supersoft) and wear good shoes (trail runners for me). I try to wear the minimum on my upper body so I can still swing, keep head and lower body well covered. Wind proof clothing is a must.
  • scooterboy59scooterboy59 Members Posts: 978 ✭✭
    I play but I hate it. Love 90's
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    Good info in here already for you OP. Only thing I can add is to try these if you are worried about staying loose:

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/rite-aid-capsicum-hot-patches-3-pack-0357448

I'd also recommend some Uniqlo heattech trousers. If it's chilly but not too cold they are enough and don't require long johns or baseballs tights underneath.

Going to England to play this weekend and then Bandon in Nov and I always have these along for the journey.
  • daveltbdaveltb Members Posts: 320 ✭✭
    In addition to all the fine advice already given I use a "ThermaCare lower back & hip heatwrap". Keeping this old back loose is the only way I can swing in the cold temps. I use it when the temps dip into the low 50's and just add clothing/wind blocking layers down into the high 30's.
  • zoned_post_meridiemzoned_post_meridiem Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

30s and 40s. Anything above that are rainy days. Haven't hit the Bad Temperatures yet.
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 609 ✭✭
    In the Baltimore area some public courses stay open all year. I have played while it is snowing.
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,499 ✭✭
    Move to Florida. How anyone can enjoy golf but not play 6 months out of the year is nuts to me.
    Long Live Nike
  • 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,880 ✭✭
    Cart Cover and portable heater for the cart..

I played all winter last year.. Heater and Cover made huge difference..
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,521 ✭✭
    Live in the wicked cold of the northeast but love our golf so much that as long as the sun is out, we are out there. Usually just 9 holes but still a kick.

One thing I learned from my ski days is to use a neck gator. Only costs $20 and makes all the difference and can be used to cover half your face if things really start blowing.
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 732 ✭✭
    A knit beanie with a visor. Warmth and you’re keeping the sun off your eyes. Kind of hard to find, even in ski shops. I have a large hat size, even harder to find. Any links to these are appreciated!

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,266 ✭✭

For those of you who have to deal with cold-weather golf (my last sunset round was in the mid/low-40s), what are your tips for extending the season when it's in the 30s or 40s? Clothing, technique, swing adjustments, any of the things that keep playing golf tolerable (and keep the jealousy toward our Southern friends at bay)?
    • Wool/Fleece hat that goes over your ears
    • Good base layers (Think UA Cold Gear compression fit)
    • Windproof "golf" outer layers
    • Lower Compression balls

You want layers... well.. I think that's obvious. I find having windproof outer layers (jackets, pants) really helps when the wind kicks up to keep that little sting off. I also switch to lower compression low spin ball like Supersoft to gain some distance back due to it being cold out and lower swing speeds, and I feel like a firm ball like ProV1x is just more harsh feeling when it's cold. I also tend to play softer more tackier grips because ANY thing thing feels horrible when it's in the 40's or below and the soft rubber helps to dampen that a bit.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

How anyone can enjoy golf but not play 6 months out of the year is nuts to me.

Can't disagree. We have places with banks of simulators, but it's obviously not the same.

That first day in late April or May though, when you walk up to your first tee -- that's a glorious day. [And then you shank the shot 90 yards left and 10 yards forward.]
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭
    edited Oct 9, 2018 #49
    One thing I find helpful that hasn’t been mentioned is a sun block stick. It looks like a giant chapstick, really helps reduce windburn on your face. For me the peace and outdoors really come into focus on cold winter golf rounds. I’m an outdoorsman but I don’t hunt so this time is incredibly welcome to me. If I could I swear I would camp out on the course and build a fire if they allowed me too ❄️ On the truly freezing days when the course is rock hard it’s fun to watch the ball bounce 100yrs when it lands. It’s a challenge to navigate the bounces and stay on the greens. I guess I’m a few balls short of a dozen but I’m like a kid on Christmas out there.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,892 ✭✭
    Play faster.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
    Big Ben wrote:

One thing I find helpful that hasn't been mentioned is a sun block stick. It looks like a giant chapstick, really helps reduce windburn on your face. For me the peace and outdoors really come into focus on cold winter golf rounds. I'm an outdoorsman but I don't hunt so this time is incredibly welcome to me. If I could I swear I would camp out on the course and build a fire if they allowed me too ❄️ On the truly freezing days when the course is rock hard it's fun to watch the ball bounce 100yrs when it lands. It's a challenge to navigate the bounces and stay on the greens. I guess I'm a few balls short of a dozen but I'm like a kid on Christmas out there.

This sounds great. I wish our courses stayed open for this kind of golf, but they tend to close around first snow.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭
    We get lucky if there isn’t snow a little south of Cleveland. The northern part of town is totally shut down. There’s one jem south of Canton that caters to us lunatics and does a shotgun start every chance they get. The owner is great. He even has his own cart covers already installed. We have a blast.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • JDaxJDax Members Posts: 84
    This is what I do:

Don’t play when the temperature is under 42 degrees.

Move up a tee box.

Wear my rain gear paints over my regular pants.

Layer properly, and have something covering your ears.
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 732 ✭✭
    ohioglfr wrote:

A knit beanie with a visor. Warmth and you’re keeping the sun off your eyes. Kind of hard to find, even in ski shops. I have a large hat size, even harder to find. Any links to these are appreciated!
    Like this.

Trouble is, they're usually one size fits all (not!)

60097.jpg

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• StonewalledStonewalled Members Posts: 1,512 ✭✭

DavePelz4 wrote:

30s and 40s. Anything above that are rainy days. Haven't hit the Bad Temperatures yet.
    Similar temps here as well, thought I was the only idiot out golfing in those temps, NOPE. Well, I was the only idiot at my course today, had a sweet assed time, jimmy 2 gloves.
  • mesquite2mesquite2 Members Posts: 760 ✭✭
    A new guy in our group just texted that he's not playing this weekend because of cold temps. Saturday is a high of 60 & Sunday is 63 ?????, What??
  • Dustin_JDustin_J St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 154 ✭✭

DavePelz4 wrote:

Just think, it's going to get 50-60 degrees colder, maybe 80 with wind chill :-)
    Dustin_J wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Just think, it's going to get 50-60 degrees colder, maybe 80 with wind chill :-)

Not the reminder I needed after first snow fall today!
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 654 ✭✭
    ohioglfr wrote:

ohioglfr wrote:

Like this.

Trouble is, they're usually one size fits all (not!)

will take mine in navy or grey, please. that cable knit looks good.

no pom-pom topper, thank goodness.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,213 ✭✭

Move to Florida. How anyone can enjoy golf but not play 6 months out of the year is nuts to me.

No thanks... This and at least 100 other reasons

giphy.gif
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,678 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

In the Baltimore area some public courses stay open all year. I have played while it is snowing.

There are also micro-climates in the area that are tolerable. I left Frederick one day with 2 inches of snow on the ground and played 20 miles away in Rockville, where it was fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file