Fairway divot rule

Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.
«13456713

Comments

  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭
    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.




    Oh, dear . . . here we go again. Your first post could have complained of slow play or why can't the pros wear shorts . . . but this? Where have you been? image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,430 ✭✭
    I wonder why this question has not been raised before. Oddly, the USGA have explained this in their notes accompanying the issue of the 2019 rules.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.






    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:3616536]





    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:3706138]



    Pings from the beginning

    OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,298 ✭✭
    This really seems familiar. Have we discussed this ever before?

    OP 2 1/2 years of lurking and this is your first post? I'm guessing you haven't lurked much in this forum?

    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    edited Oct 4, 2018 #6
    hqdefault.jpg



    First post from OP.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.


    Rather than hammer the OP for his rather redundant first post (I'm moderately new here myself), I will ask him a question. Please define, if you will, what a divot hole is, whether you get relief if its filled with sand or divot mic, and at what time it has grown back enough that it ceases to be grounds for relief. And if you discover that its impossible to write a clear enforceable rule, please let us know that as well.

    And welcome to WRX
  • jlbos83jlbos83 Posts: 555 ✭✭
    It's really quite simple. When is does the divot (hole) become not a divot (hole). Every patch of grass that wasn't perfect would become a divot hole. We might as well play LCP.
    Jeff, an Arizona hacker
  • finleysgfinleysg MinnesotaPosts: 1,235 ✭✭
    At some point in the far future, the ROG may define a fairway as a specially prepared area like the green. If and when that happens (we will all be long dead), marking and repairing your lie in the fairway will be common place.



    For the foreseeable future, the fairway is simply a closely-mowed area with no guarantee of perfection. Learn to hit the shot.
    D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
    3W: Rogue SZ - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 Graphite
    3H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
    4H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
    Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 52, Ping Glide 58
    Putter: OWorks 2-ball

    Brand Loyalty: None

  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭
    Hit the ball farther, or shorter if you want to avoid divots. Or play LCP in the fairways.
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭
    Second place is reserved for those lacking the skills to hit a wedge close from out of a divot hole. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,651 ✭✭
    edited Oct 4, 2018 #12
    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.


    Can you cite a credible example of when and where that happened? Many players, particularly those in a tournament's lead, have the requisite skill to play a successful shot from that lie. They don't need help from the Rules.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭
    rogolf wrote:

    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.


    Can you cite a credible example of when and where that happened? Many players, particularly those in a tournament's lead, have the requisite skill to play a successful shot from that lie. They don't need help from the Rules.




    Payne Stewart, 1998 US Open.



    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,651 ✭✭
    edited Oct 4, 2018 #14
    BrianMcG wrote:

    rogolf wrote:

    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.


    Can you cite a credible example of when and where that happened? Many players, particularly those in a tournament's lead, have the requisite skill to play a successful shot from that lie. They don't need help from the Rules.




    Payne Stewart, 1998 US Open.



    https://www.youtube....h?v=FDCi0eRcLUM




    And you think that one shot on the 12th hole determined the result of the tournament? It's 72 holes of play.

    (BTW, I'm a great Payne Stewart supporter.)
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    This topic is right up there with politics, religion and FORGED VS CAST..................



    Iz8C.gif
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,040 ✭✭
    jlbos83 wrote:


    It's really quite simple. When is does the divot (hole) become not a divot (hole). Every patch of grass that wasn't perfect would become a divot hole. We might as well play LCP.




    thats the end goal of alot of people... Im absolutely against getting hands on ball unless its truly muddy
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,298 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

    rogolf wrote:

    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.


    Can you cite a credible example of when and where that happened? Many players, particularly those in a tournament's lead, have the requisite skill to play a successful shot from that lie. They don't need help from the Rules.




    Payne Stewart, 1998 US Open.




    He hit the shot cleanly, but poorly.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,127 ✭✭
    A better first post, that wasn’t completely trolling, would have been, “When are the ruling bodies going to go to LCP in all closely mown areas?”



    I play local tournaments every year that this is in place in all of them. Without correct agronomy, which is quite expensive, the fairways get worse and worse. At my course, at least 1/2 of each fairway is now chickweed. Add in old divots, and a well struck ball down the middle is a complete crapshoot as to the lie you will get. It’s nearly better to aim for the rough, when it’s cut shorter, because there is less chickweed and almost no divots.



    Playing LCP in a fairway is much more equitable to all than simply “divot relief”.
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,430 ✭✭
    Augster wrote:


    Playing LCP in a fairway is much more equitable to all than simply "divot relief".


    Why not play on astroturf?
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,298 ✭✭
    Newby wrote:

    Augster wrote:


    Playing LCP in a fairway is much more equitable to all than simply "divot relief".


    Why not play on astroturf?
    Why play outdoors at all really? Wind, rain, sunshine... All can bother what should have been a perfect shot.

    Sounds like topshot or Xbox would be a better game for some.

    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,659 ✭✭
    I want free relief from bunkers. I sure didn't mean to hit it there!
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,298 ✭✭
    caniac6 wrote:


    I want free relief from bunkers. I sure didn't mean to hit it there!
    That and you don't want to get your shoes dirty. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,222 ClubWRX
    caniac6 wrote:


    I want free relief from bunkers. I sure didn't mean to hit it there!




    So I'm going to play contrarian and offer some support for the OP and use bunkers to support his position. If a player is respectful of the course and other players, he or she will restore the bunker to the condition it was in before a shot was played in it and he or she will rake the bunker. If bunkers are meant to be potentially penal, why have rakes in them at all?



    Again, playing contrarian...and it's 4 o'clock and I need a glass of wine.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,374 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 5, 2018 #24
    theelogan wrote:


    Anyone wonder why after all the rule changes and things they went through. Why did they skip addressing the silliness of this rule. I get golf is like luck of the draw but it's a difficulty not in the golf course design. Just always wondered why that couldn't be free drop. I hate when you see a tournament determined by one player piping down the middle And losing because they land in a divot.




    You are doing a bad job of representing plus handicaps and Canadians! Suck it up! OMG, I'd be a +3 if it weren't for the two times I've hit out of a divot in the past 5 years, lol!



    And welcome (that's my contrarian part)!



    And a little scotch and sitting out on the deck with my puppy literally "chilling" in about 15 minutes!
  • AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,127 ✭✭
    I play muni courses primarily. In Minnesota. So all spring we play LCP in the fairway. Because it’s so wet. Mud balls and having to take casual water relief from the fairway to the rough gets old real fast. All fall we play LCP in the fairway also. Due to it being wet.



    In local tournies at 4 different courses I play each year, they always play LCP in the fairways. They don’t want a guy to lose because he stripes it down the middle and ends up in a divot so deep, or chickweed so gnarly, that it possibly costs him the tourney. 2 of those courses have the LCP local rule year round. They just aren’t going to spend the money to re-sod places that need it. Or dig up chickweed patches, re-sod and re-seed. They have enough work keeping the greens perfect and moving cups and mowing nearly every day.



    I really don’t see a downside to LCP in your own fairway as a Rule full time. Everyone scores better. Divots are more easily replaced which will keep the course looking nicer. It’s completely equitable to everyone. It makes it easier to score for players that have bad swings and don’t hit down on the ball. It’s also the goal of the game. Hit the fairway, hit the green, putt it in, repeat. There should be a reward for hitting the fairway besides “you might have a better lie and better angle than someone in the rough. Might.” You should be guaranteed a better lie because you aced the exam that is the tee shot.



    Just do away with “divot-talk”. Playing LCP gets rid of all the whining we read in here nearly daily.



    I’m sure, once LCP is enacted golf-wide, players will want to start wanting relief from divots in the rough. I’ll still be against that. You want a good lie? Hit it in the fairway. It’s like people that complain about bad lies in bunkers. One course I play has a local rule of lift, rake, and place in the bunkers. I hate that. Don’t like potential lie, don’t hit it in the bunker. The rules don’t require you to play your ball into a bunker. Hit the fairway, hit the green, putt it in.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,659 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

    caniac6 wrote:


    I want free relief from bunkers. I sure didn't mean to hit it there!




    So I'm going to play contrarian and offer some support for the OP and use bunkers to support his position. If a player is respectful of the course and other players, he or she will restore the bunker to the condition it was in before a shot was played in it and he or she will rake the bunker. If bunkers are meant to be potentially penal, why have rakes in them at all?



    Again, playing contrarian...and it's 4 o'clock and I need a glass of wine.
    Don't have many rakes at my course, but most are in "like new" condition.
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,430 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

    caniac6 wrote:


    I want free relief from bunkers. I sure didn't mean to hit it there!




    So I'm going to play contrarian and offer some support for the OP and use bunkers to support his position. If a player is respectful of the course and other players, he or she will restore the bunker to the condition it was in before a shot was played in it and he or she will rake the bunker. If bunkers are meant to be potentially penal, why have rakes in them at all?



    Again, playing contrarian...and it's 4 o'clock and I need a glass of wine.




    If a player is respectful of the course and other players, he or she will restore the fairway to the condition it was in before a shot was played from it and he or she will replace the divot properly or repair the divot hole.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,615 ClubWRX
    Augster wrote:


    I play muni courses primarily. In Minnesota. So all spring we play LCP in the fairway. Because it’s so wet. Mud balls and having to take casual water relief from the fairway to the rough gets old real fast. All fall we play LCP in the fairway also. Due to it being wet.



    In local tournies at 4 different courses I play each year, they always play LCP in the fairways. They don’t want a guy to lose because he stripes it down the middle and ends up in a divot so deep, or chickweed so gnarly, that it possibly costs him the tourney. 2 of those courses have the LCP local rule year round. They just aren’t going to spend the money to re-sod places that need it. Or dig up chickweed patches, re-sod and re-seed. They have enough work keeping the greens perfect and moving cups and mowing nearly every day.



    I really don’t see a downside to LCP in your own fairway as a Rule full time. Everyone scores better. Divots are more easily replaced which will keep the course looking nicer. It’s completely equitable to everyone. It makes it easier to score for players that have bad swings and don’t hit down on the ball. It’s also the goal of the game. Hit the fairway, hit the green, putt it in, repeat. There should be a reward for hitting the fairway besides “you might have a better lie and better angle than someone in the rough. Might.” You should be guaranteed a better lie because you aced the exam that is the tee shot.



    Just do away with “divot-talk”. Playing LCP gets rid of all the whining we read in here nearly daily.



    I’m sure, once LCP is enacted golf-wide, players will want to start wanting relief from divots in the rough. I’ll still be against that. You want a good lie? Hit it in the fairway. It’s like people that complain about bad lies in bunkers. One course I play has a local rule of lift, rake, and place in the bunkers. I hate that. Don’t like potential lie, don’t hit it in the bunker. The rules don’t require you to play your ball into a bunker. Hit the fairway, hit the green, putt it in.




    While I think your point is well made, I think you also made the point of why it’s not a good idea. Because of “what’s next”. The rough, bad lie in the bunker,etc.



    I think LCP all the time starts us down the slope to people wanting their hands on the ball for every single shot. The “rollers” will be estatic though, as that’s how they play all the time anyway.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,430 ✭✭
    Newby wrote:


    The USGA have explained this in their notes accompanying the issue of the 2019 rules.




    This is what the R&A and USGA had to say:



    Play the ball as it lies



    In its simplest form, golf is about playing the ball from tee to green by hitting it with a golf club, and not otherwise touching the ball. A fundamental challenge of the sport is to deal with whatever position your ball comes to rest in – whether good or bad. While there are some necessary exceptions (such as obstructions and other abnormal course conditions), the essential nature of golf means these must remain exceptions rather than the norm.



    Therefore, the new Rules do not provide relief without penalty from situations that some golfers complain about, such as when their ball comes to rest in a divot hole on a fairway or in footprints in a poorly raked bunker. In addition to being contrary to the fundamental principle of playing the ball as it lies, providing free relief in such circumstances would make the Rules harder to apply (for example, what is the difference between an irregularity of surface and an old divot hole?) and could slow down play when there are difficult questions about what is or isn’t a divot hole.
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members Posts: 366 ✭✭
    On tour, they never have a footprint lie in a bunker.



    On tour, they play the best maintained courses, with caddies to replace divots and maint staff to sand divots after each round.

    Most tour pros take shallow divots. Thus we seldom see a tour player play from a deep wide open divot, like we see on our public courses.

    And far less than that, has it appeared to cost someone a tournament, so the USGA hasn't been forced/inclined to do something.



    I agree that it would be hard to write a rule for when a divot is no longer a divot.

    Amateur public golfers should not be embarrassed to play LCP on dumpy courses, if the committee allows it.
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,695 mod
    edited Oct 6, 2018 #31
    I've had to suck it up several times after a piped drive only to find my ball in a divot - it hasn't happened that often in 40 years though!
«13456713
Sign In or Register to comment.