In today's edition of 'It's the archer, not the arrow"....the ultimate test of ho status

Duffner's Waggle

TL;DR - Hit it great in a tourney. Like a true WRXer, went and got fitted for new sticks IMMEDIATELY after. My current "old technology" sticks were better for me in every way. Money saved. Better scores to follow. I hope.

Played in a best ball tourney today with vbb, a member here, and a couple other buddies and shot -20. It was a fun tourney, but had all kinda crap goin on. Red solo cup, a throw, a foot wedge, a string, and 2 mulligans per, so -20 was only good enough for 3rd, but still....we had a blast.

I hit it, from the tee, as well as I have maybe ever hit it. I hit kind of a high pop up on one of the long drive holes, and drove it through the fairway on the other, but it was killed. More importantly I drove the green on two par 4s (278 and 312 respectively), and it wasn't so much abt the distance, as I hit it that long on a regular basis..it was the accuracy. Both drives never left the pin, landing about 4 feet and 9 feet from the stick respectively and resulting in two eagles. Definitely a highlight of the day.

Anyways...I've been playing the Mizuno MP-H4 irons, and I don't even know the swing weight, but they're really heavy. I like em ok, but I've wondered if they're fit properly for me as I'm 6'4 and know I need irons that are over standard. Had some time to kill after the tourney so I went by my local shop and decided I wanted to get fit for the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal and/or Forged. Went in fully intending to order new irons.

Turns out length wise, my clubs are a good fit, and shaft wise (PX 6.5 Rifle) they're a great fit as well.

I hit the 919 Hot Metal first, and their fitting club is a 7 iron. My stock 7i with the MP-H4 is like 175 - 180 yards. The Hot metal was going 212-215 yards. This was inside off of mats, and it's not a big box golf galaxy, I know the owner and the settings were not all geared up. I hit my 7i to compare and it was like 183, so I figure take 7-10 off and it was relatively spot on. Still....I have NO NEED for a 200-205 yard 7 iron. That would completely screw up my bag, and because I hit it so high I wasn't really interested in tweaking the lofts on the HM weaker as it might reduce the distance, but it could also hurt me even more in the wind.

I moved to the 919 Forged. More tradition loft as compared to my MP-H4 7iron. The clubs were essentially interchangeable in terms of distance, both around 184-187, but it was going further left pretty regularly, while mine had the controlled baby fade I'm accustomed to seeing. To be fair, the 919F was probably 4-5 swing weights lower than mine. Didn't need to tweak it and add lead tape or anything to the 919. Not worth it....it felt good, but I honestly liked the feel of mine better.

Pretty much put the baby to bed and decided, as did the owner, that I didn't need new irons. We do need to tweak my MP-H4 up a degree or two in terms of lie angle, which they're going to work on for me next week, because he felt like I was probably having some issues w turf interaction.

I guess I was determined to burn through money in my pocket, so I asked him if I could hit the new TS3 with Evenflow White. My current drive is an old TM Jetspeed with an Aldila Proto 70x. While I had a great day driving the ball, it's been a bad fit for me that often gets left in the trunk when I'm playing to shoot a score instead of a scramble.

Same thing here. Long, high bombs with the Jetspeed/Aldila combo and nothing special out of the TS3/EF White combo. In fact, hit that combo really poorly after SMOKING it at an outdoor demo session during a tourney a few weeks ago.

Say all of that to say: I went in determined and willing to spend $500-$750 and left knowing, I'm far better spending that on lessons and rounds of golf than I am on new equipment. It was really good for me to see that my swing is the variable at play and the equipment is just that, equipment. How I put it to use is the big key.

YMMV, but I'm glad I'm $750 to the good and feeling better about my game than I have in a long time.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah well as far as your game you live on another planet. To be honest I didn’t even get all the lingo, that second paragraph was tough.

But congratulations on resisting the urge. My wife has to get a new car every 3 years and I don’t get it. Some have the same issue with golf clubs.

You can always cekebrate with a bottle or two of Scotch. : )

Ordered a G400 17.5 at the turn.

No Wi-Fi or 4G on the front 9 i take it...........

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Well done for resisting the ho. I have a different tale to tell...

I played today and started off well. Was going nicely until I pulled my 2016 M2 16.5 HL out of the bag. This club was on borrowed time and I proceeded to hit it straight into the cabbage for a lost ball. Ordered a G400 17.5 at the turn.

So....about that m2 HL....

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Never had a club improve my game much unless it was my first upgrade from my northwesterns to Ping Karsten IIIs 40 years ago.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Ordered a G400 17.5 at the turn.

No Wi-Fi or 4G on the front 9 i take it...........

Haha, I don't like pulling my phone on the course and the local pro usually gives me a good price.

Ok but seriously what shaft is in that m2?

TL;DR - Hit it great in a tourney. Like a true WRXer, went and got fitted for new sticks IMMEDIATELY after. My current "old technology" sticks were better for me in every way. Money saved. Better scores to follow. I hope.

Played in a best ball tourney today with vbb, a member here, and a couple other buddies and shot -20. It was a fun tourney, but had all kinda crap goin on. Red solo cup, a throw, a foot wedge, a string, and 2 mulligans per, so -20 was only good enough for 3rd, but still....we had a blast.

I hit it, from the tee, as well as I have maybe ever hit it. I hit kind of a high pop up on one of the long drive holes, and drove it through the fairway on the other, but it was killed. More importantly I drove the green on two par 4s (278 and 312 respectively), and it wasn't so much abt the distance, as I hit it that long on a regular basis..it was the accuracy. Both drives never left the pin, landing about 4 feet and 9 feet from the stick respectively and resulting in two eagles. Definitely a highlight of the day.

Anyways...I've been playing the Mizuno MP-H4 irons, and I don't even know the swing weight, but they're really heavy. I like em ok, but I've wondered if they're fit properly for me as I'm 6'4 and know I need irons that are over standard. Had some time to kill after the tourney so I went by my local shop and decided I wanted to get fit for the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal and/or Forged. Went in fully intending to order new irons.

Turns out length wise, my clubs are a good fit, and shaft wise (PX 6.5 Rifle) they're a great fit as well.

I hit the 919 Hot Metal first, and their fitting club is a 7 iron. My stock 7i with the MP-H4 is like 175 - 180 yards. The Hot metal was going 212-215 yards. This was inside off of mats, and it's not a big box golf galaxy, I know the owner and the settings were not all geared up. I hit my 7i to compare and it was like 183, so I figure take 7-10 off and it was relatively spot on. Still....I have NO NEED for a 200-205 yard 7 iron. That would completely screw up my bag, and because I hit it so high I wasn't really interested in tweaking the lofts on the HM weaker as it might reduce the distance, but it could also hurt me even more in the wind.

I moved to the 919 Forged. More tradition loft as compared to my MP-H4 7iron. The clubs were essentially interchangeable in terms of distance, both around 184-187, but it was going further left pretty regularly, while mine had the controlled baby fade I'm accustomed to seeing. To be fair, the 919F was probably 4-5 swing weights lower than mine. Didn't need to tweak it and add lead tape or anything to the 919. Not worth it....it felt good, but I honestly liked the feel of mine better.

Pretty much put the baby to bed and decided, as did the owner, that I didn't need new irons. We do need to tweak my MP-H4 up a degree or two in terms of lie angle, which they're going to work on for me next week, because he felt like I was probably having some issues w turf interaction.

I guess I was determined to burn through money in my pocket, so I asked him if I could hit the new TS3 with Evenflow White. My current drive is an old TM Jetspeed with an Aldila Proto 70x. While I had a great day driving the ball, it's been a bad fit for me that often gets left in the trunk when I'm playing to shoot a score instead of a scramble.

Same thing here. Long, high bombs with the Jetspeed/Aldila combo and nothing special out of the TS3/EF White combo. In fact, hit that combo really poorly after SMOKING it at an outdoor demo session during a tourney a few weeks ago.

Say all of that to say: I went in determined and willing to spend $500-$750 and left knowing, I'm far better spending that on lessons and rounds of golf than I am on new equipment. It was really good for me to see that my swing is the variable at play and the equipment is just that, equipment. How I put it to use is the big key.

YMMV, but I'm glad I'm $750 to the good and feeling better about my game than I have in a long time.

The only thing I don't understand is how you're a 13 hcp hitting the ball like that. You must have a truly rotten short game.

I walked around a GG the other day for 3 hours while my wife was at the mall....

Didnʻt buy a thing. They all looked at me like i was a bum. Hi lite - oldest guy working there grabbed a demo Rogue driver out of the bag, stepped into the hitting bay and after 6 choppy practice swings wiffed it and almost fell over. I then drifted over to the bag n shoe section, get as far away from the bays as possible after witnessing that. Low lite - still got a couple really banged on newer Scottyʻs for $250.00, thatʻs crazy. i m o

The only thing I don't understand is how you're a 13 hcp hitting the ball like that. You must have a truly rotten short game.

I'm actually an 11 now (10.8) but its because I waste 2-3 shots a round by chipping it not close to the hole and then not putting great and when I'm hitting driver, I avg 2 penalty strokes per round. Ive been playin better lately as I've focused on my short game more.

Duff. My man. It’s a sickness. We always want more. I wonder if more exists ?

Do you get the “ how did you shoot that score hitting it like that “ often ?

I do. Lol. It really really makes me want to break something. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Duff. My man. Its a sickness. We always want more. I wonder if more exists ?

Do you get the how did you shoot that score hitting it like that often ?

I get it all the time. Join up with a group, tell them you're an 11 and proceed to Hit a 300 yd missile down the chute on the first tee, and everyone gives you the side eye....but three 3 putts, 2 penalty strokes and a chunked chip later, when ya add em up on 18, you shot 84. Rinse. Repeat.

Duff. My man. It’s a sickness. We always want more. I wonder if more exists ?

Do you get the “ how did you shoot that score hitting it like that “ often ?

I get it all the time. Join up with a group, tell them you're an 11 and proceed to Hit a 300 yd missile down the chute on the first tee, and everyone gives you the side eye....but three 3 putts, 2 penalty strokes and a chunked chip later, when ya add em up on 18, you shot 84. Rinse. Repeat.

And when you get your excrement properly organized, hit 14 GIR, with a half dozen birdie chances from 6-7 feet, you shoot a crowd pleasing two over par.

I feel your pain, my brothers.....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors