Clay Long Putters — Are people familiar with them?

hound25hound25 ClubWRX Posts: 522 ✭✭
I consider myself fortunate to have come across Clay Long’s putters, and own 3 of them, including two limited special editions (one that was made for Jack Nicklaus). It doesn’t seem that people know anything about them. After getting my first from a small golf shop, I wanted another and called Mr. Long’s company, and Clay himself answered the phone! Really great guy with a pretty incredible pedigree in the golf industry.

What do you guys know and/or think about his putters? Rollyourball is his company if you wanted to look at his putters. He really only makes special editions and doesn’t have many on hand.
Titleist 917 D3 8.5* (C1), GD Tour AD IZ 7tx <br /><br /><br /> Ping G400 14.5, GD Tour AD DI 8tx<br /><br /><br /> Titleist 718 TMB 2-iron, Tour AD DI <br /><br /><br /> Ping S55 4-PW, KBS Ctaper 125 S+<br /><br /><br /> PING Nome TR, 35" slight arc<br /><br /><br /> Ping Glide Stealth 50ss, 54ss, 60es

Comments

• GimmieHendrixGimmieHendrix Unregistered Posts: 153
    Never heard of them but I'd love to try one. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • hound25hound25 ClubWRX Posts: 522 ✭✭
    From the lack of replies, it draws me to the conclusion that people just aren’t aware/familiar with these putters. That’s a shame in my opinion as they are really nice!
    Titleist 917 D3 8.5* (C1), GD Tour AD IZ 7tx <br /><br /><br /> Ping G400 14.5, GD Tour AD DI 8tx<br /><br /><br /> Titleist 718 TMB 2-iron, Tour AD DI <br /><br /><br /> Ping S55 4-PW, KBS Ctaper 125 S+<br /><br /><br /> PING Nome TR, 35" slight arc<br /><br /><br /> Ping Glide Stealth 50ss, 54ss, 60es
  • GimmieHendrixGimmieHendrix Unregistered Posts: 153
    hound25 wrote:

From the lack of replies, it draws me to the conclusion that people just aren't aware/familiar with these putters. That's a shame in my opinion as they are really nice!

His branding and marketing is atrocious. Always amazes me because that's my day job and it's super cheap to get done right. I must say Clay's site is probably the worst manufacturer site I saw this year.
  • baudibaudi Posts: 641 ✭✭
    Ask Jack Nicklaus

hound25 wrote:

From the lack of replies, it draws me to the conclusion that people just aren't aware/familiar with these putters. That's a shame in my opinion as they are really nice!

His branding and marketing is atrocious. Always amazes me because that's my day job and it's super cheap to get done right. I must say Clay's site is probably the worst manufacturer site I saw this year.

I agree, but from talking to him, making these putters is more of a hobby for him, and they are certainly ‘niche.’ I don’t think his intent was to ever be mainstream. Even as such, I would have thought the WRX community would have known about them as there are some really crafty guys on here that impress me with their knowledge about some unique things.
    baudi wrote:

Ask Jack Nicklaus

Not sure where you are going with this??? Could be taken several different ways...do you mind clarifying?
  • teevonsteevons Members Posts: 2,191 ✭✭
    And ask Tiger Woods, he designed Taylormades putter he used for short while

He designed the Response putter Nicklaus won 86 Masters with
  • pakpak Posts: 126 ✭✭
    I don’t believe he is an active putter maker. The website nor the putters have been updated for many years. There are dozens of defunct boutique putter makers out there that while might have manufactured a great product would not garner interest in WRX due to lack of availability.
  • phelps22phelps22 Cincinnati, OhMembers Posts: 1,899 ✭✭
    He’s still making putters. He was working with taylormade for a while so he wasn’t doing much out on his own but he’s back at it again.
    Ping G400 LST
    Taylormade M5 15*
    Adams Prototype 20*
    Title isn’t 918MB 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 58*
    Taylormade Spider Mini
    edited Oct 12, 2018 #12
    Sorry Hound, I missed your remark about JN in the opening post. Clay Long is a legend.
    phelps22 wrote:

He’s still making putters. He was working with taylormade for a while so he wasn’t doing much out on his own but he’s back at it again.

If I’m not mistaken, he also helped TM develop some of their new wedges. I talked to him in July about purchasing another putter (looking for a mallet), and he didn’t have any. Said he would let me know when he made more, which leads me to believe he will make more. Again, just a hobby for him at this point, but makes great putters!
  • Stu-CoStu-Co Members Posts: 604 ✭✭
    He is active on Instagram.... looks to be producing some new putters.
    Driver: 917 D3 - 9.5* (B1)
    FW: 917 FD - 15* (B1)
    Hybrid: 816 - 18*
    Irons: Titleist (4-PW)
    Putter: SGC Custom 902
    Wedges: Vokey 52*, 56* & 60*