New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10jwb10 Major WinnerMarsMembers Posts: 947 ✭✭
edited Oct 8, 2018 in Golf Balls #1
Reps are talking up new ball with better, softer cover. Anybody got some ? How are they different, when are they do out, and any other info. would be appreciated ? Pictures, too ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CClarkCClark Members Posts: 25
    I love the TP/TPx ball but would love it even better if they had a yellow option....any chance they offer this with the updated ball?
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 947 ✭✭
    I like yellow, too. I would imagine with ProV coming now with yellow, TP5 will, too
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,352 ✭✭
    I truly hope Taylor Made doesn't mess too much with the TP5X as its a great ball. If they do mess it up I'll load up on the current model. That's one good thing TM does that Titleist doesn't is put their prior models on sale.
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,744 ClubWRX
    I haven't heard/seen anything on a new version, but I know that as soon as the previous TP5x version is marked down I will be stocking up on them.
    WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭
    Taylormade is keeping this hush hush hush. I am almost thinking it might be another full season until they go to the successors.

Realistically, all I think they needed to correct was the alignment and the cover durability. It is an amazing product and just needs these two things for refinement.

Curious that titleist is being very up front and loud about the prov1 2019 and TM hasn’t responded.
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,797 ✭✭
    Stanks wrote:

Taylormade is keeping this hush hush hush. I am almost thinking it might be another full season until they go to the successors.

Realistically, all I think they needed to correct was the alignment and the cover durability. It is an amazing product and just needs these two things for refinement.

Curious that titleist is being very up front and loud about the prov1 2019 and TM hasn’t responded.

Doubtful considering the TP5/X are coming up on two years and the fact that TM has never had a flagship urethane model go beyond a two year cycle.

It will be interesting to see if the TP5/X sold well enough to keep the name going for the next product cycle.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,215 ✭✭
    cristphoto wrote:

I truly hope Taylor Made doesn't mess too much with the TP5X as its a great ball. If they do mess it up I'll load up on the current model. That's one good thing TM does that Titleist doesn't is put their prior models on sale.
    Titleist does mark down the prior model Pro-V1 line when they release a new version. They sell the prior version for $39.99
    grm24 wrote:

cristphoto wrote:

Titleist does mark down the prior model Pro-V1 line when they release a new version. They sell the prior version for $39.99

That’s true but still not much of a sale for a previous model. When Taylor Made came out with the current TP5 series you could but the prior Tour Preferred series direct from Taylor Made for $22 a dozen which included free shipping.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,162 ✭✭
    Note to TM. I like the firmer feel of the TP5 models. I don't want a softer version.
  • ZA206ZA206 Members Posts: 629 ✭✭
    Then only change I'd request is a proper alignment arrow on the seam, not the mis-aligned, unusable garbage that's on there now.

-ZA
    TM 2019 M5 460 9.0 with Tensei Pro Orange TX
    TM 2019 M5 15 3W with Tensei Pro White 70 TX 
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    718 AP2 (5-PW) with AMT White X100's
    TM 50, 56 & 60 Hi Toe with S400
    TM Ghost Spider S - 34"
    ZA206 wrote:

Then only change I'd request is a proper alignment arrow on the seam, not the mis-aligned, unusable garbage that's on there now.

-ZA

I agree. When the ball was called Tour Preferred that provided a decent aid. The TP5X is too short.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭

cristphoto wrote:

ZA206 wrote:

-ZA

I agree. When the ball was called Tour Preferred that provided a decent aid. The TP5X is too short.

I have a revolutionary tool that you guys might find useful:

H-286BL.jpg?$MediumRHD$&iccEmbed=1&icc=AdobeRGB

Ah ha! You jest!

Everyone has one of those bad larries lying around but check this out, some of us don’t wanna use one!

Rick shiels boasts about the ball since day one and puts it in the bag day one and still hates the alignment.

I think they could cleverly fix it.
  • RobYakesRobYakes "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen" Washington, D.C.Members, ClubWRX Posts: 344 ✭✭
    Stanks wrote:

Ah ha! You jest!

Everyone has one of those bad larries lying around but check this out, some of us don't wanna use one!

Rick shiels boasts about the ball since day one and puts it in the bag day one and still hates the alignment.

Fixed it...

M4 9.5* Rogue Silver 110 60X OR Speeder Evo II 661X // M4 15* HZRDUS Black 6.5 // M4 18* HZRDUS Red 6.5 // P790 Modus 120S // MILLED GRIND 50* & 54* Modus 115W // HI-TOE 60* Modus 115W // SPIDER X 34" // TP5X
    RobYakes wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Ah ha! You jest!

Everyone has one of those bad larries lying around but check this out, some of us don't wanna use one!

Fixed it...

Tell us more, Obi-wan
    Somebodys got the scoop,what are they going to do. Will I be able to drive it 350 ,straight and draw it back 20 yards ?? image/scenic.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':scenic:' /> image/download.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':download:' />
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,215 ✭✭
    edited Oct 17, 2018 #18
    cristphoto wrote:

grm24 wrote:

cristphoto wrote:

That's true but still not much of a sale for a previous model. When Taylor Made came out with the current TP5 series you could but the prior Tour Preferred series direct from Taylor Made for $22 a dozen which included free shipping.

It's still a sale though. Same was when they do their buy 3 get 1 free. On the other hand TM seems to really over produce every tour level ball that they have made. Witness how long it took TM to clear their Lethal stock a long time after is was discontinued by selling 50 and 100 packs of the Lethal balls. Same with the fire sale of the Tour Preferred line before/after the TP5 line was released.

TM always seems to have a warehouse or three full of old stock that they have to liquidate at bargain prices. Titleist seems not to have that issue. Titleist has no reason to mark the Pro V1 line down to $22-24/dozen when they continually sell enough product at full price or slightly below when the next gen ball is released.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,045 ClubWRX
    Stanks wrote:

Curious that titleist is being very up front and loud about the prov1 2019 and TM hasn't responded.

I can say definitively that they aren't going another season. The current line is two years old and is being replaced.

As for details, there have been a few hints in various places in the past couple of months, but nothing concrete or worth posting. I saw one pic of launch monitor numbers from the test of a prototype that claimed ball speeds ~5 mph higher than the person had ever achieved before. Seems hard to believe, but I also found the wind performance and mid/long iron distance claims of the TP5x hard to believe and those proved out for me. I guess we'll see.

Personally, I'd love a new ball that's between the current TP5 and TP5x. Would love the full shot performance of the TP5x with a slightly softer cover for better green side feel.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 14, Tensei Blue 70 X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-750 3-4, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • SheriffBoothSheriffBooth Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 4,462 mod
    jll62 wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Curious that titleist is being very up front and loud about the prov1 2019 and TM hasn't responded.

I can say definitively that they aren't going another season. The current line is two years old and is being replaced.

As for details, there have been a few hints in various places in the past couple of months, but nothing concrete or worth posting. I saw one pic of launch monitor numbers from the test of a prototype that claimed ball speeds ~5 mph higher than the person had ever achieved before. Seems hard to believe, but I also found the wind performance and mid/long iron distance claims of the TP5x hard to believe and those proved out for me. I guess we'll see.

Personally, I'd love a new ball that's between the current TP5 and TP5x. Would love the full shot performance of the TP5x with a slightly softer cover for better green side feel.

Agree with this 100%. I want a TP5X that putts like a TP5.
    Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
    Taylormade M5, 15*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S
    Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage S
    Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Cameron Futura 5.5M, 36"
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,118 ✭✭

jll62 wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Agree with this 100%. I want a TP5X that putts like a TP5.

Count me in!
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    I would say make a yellow but I’d probably still just buy a Project a
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

I would say make a yellow but I’d probably still just buy a Project a

Yellow is doable. The 2017 TP5/TP5x balls were available in Japan in yellow.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • DonW468DonW468 Members Posts: 17
    noodle3872 wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

I would say make a yellow but I'd probably still just buy a Project a

Yellow is doable. The 2017 TP5/TP5x balls were available in Japan in yellow.

Nice! I had mine last month and I'm still using them. It would be nice if these balls glow in the dark.
    Tee It Up on the Wild Side..
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,544 ✭✭
    I would love to see a ball that fits in-between the 5 and X. The distance of the X and soft feeling spin around the greens of 5! image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,328 ClubWRX
    cvhookem63 wrote:

I haven't heard/seen anything on a new version, but I know that as soon as the previous TP5x version is marked down I will be stocking up on them.

Golftown in Canada has been selling 2 dozen for $100 Cdn. for quite a while. That's about $1 above Pro Cost.

I would bet the farm they are bringing out a new ball.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • HighBoomingDrawsHighBoomingDraws Flagnostic All 2019 Members Posts: 1,054 ✭✭
    I just hope the $20/dozen tp5x practice ball sale stays in stock
    TaylorMade M6 9* W/ Tensei Blue 60 X-Stiff
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex Pro PX 6.0 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,162 ✭✭
    Not sure what they can improve. Already a fantastic product.
    elwhippy wrote:

I agree.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

My wish list of improvements;

1. hide the seam on the cover better.

2. new label that helps alignment of putts.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1