New TP5 and TP5X

Comments

• Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    CDM wrote:
    Break81 wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:
    TaylorMade can't get anywhere on Rickie's bag or his hat? Even just a TP5X logo or something? The commercials are nice, but they could use a little more than that.
    after Ricky imploding today not sure that’s a bad thing .

Sorry what..... image/rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />

Ok he did win - good for him Kuch and Thomas also had bad days.

Let’s be honest though , Ricky sells clothes and insurance. He’s not going to move the needle on clubs and balls (do you see more Cobra clubs being bought by amateurs?)

Congrats on his 5th win and maybe the ball will get him a couple more but I think TM has a barn full of horses more decorated than Ricky for their golf ball sales. (Rory , DJ, Rose and Day) to name a few
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • mikeditmikedit Members Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Simp wrote:

I broke down and bought a sleeve of the new X's and played with the same ball for 18 holes today and saw no issue with durability. It performed pretty **** good. One hop and stop, like most of the tour balls do. It's a good ball. Not worth what they sell for though.

You were able to buy the 2019 TP5X?? I didn't thing they were available yet??
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,933 ClubWRX
    mikedit wrote:
    Simp wrote:

I broke down and bought a sleeve of the new X's and played with the same ball for 18 holes today and saw no issue with durability. It performed pretty **** good. One hop and stop, like most of the tour balls do. It's a good ball. Not worth what they sell for though.

Not supposed to be sold until Feb 15th.
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • Stephens24Stephens24 Members Posts: 273 ✭✭
    Why do you think most of the TM team plays the X? I would think they would prefer the softer feel and lower flight of the non x.
  • BigHook25BigHook25 Members Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Break81 wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:
    TaylorMade can't get anywhere on Rickie's bag or his hat? Even just a TP5X logo or something? The commercials are nice, but they could use a little more than that.
    after Ricky imploding today not sure that’s a bad thing .

Even if he had lost, playing the 2nd tournament with that golf ball and getting to -20 under and driving the ball 10 yards further than normal, some have to pay attention.
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

crispy830 wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

Fowler just said in an interview from his first round at the WM that the TP5 is going an average of 5yds further than his old ball and he is needing to get used to it.

Thought he was using the TP5x.

Yes, I believe he is.

His proto of the ball, not our TP5x.

Look at USGA ball list. There are multiple TP5 and x versions we can’t buy... eight the last I looked.

I’m guessing very few, if any tour players are playing retail TP5 balls, or USGA would not have so many versions listed.
    PING G410 LST Driver 9º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 23º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5–PW ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    G-Bone wrote:

crispy830 wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

Fowler just said in an interview from his first round at the WM that the TP5 is going an average of 5yds further than his old ball and he is needing to get used to it.

Yes, I believe he is.

Look at USGA ball list. There are multiple TP5 and x versions we can’t buy... eight the last I looked.

I’m guessing very few, if any tour players are playing retail TP5 balls, or USGA would not have so many versions listed.

Same situation for Titleist, no?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mikedit wrote:

Simp wrote:

Sorry, it wasn't the new ones. They're new to me though.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    G-Bone wrote:

crispy830 wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

Yes, I believe he is.

this is sad.
    Update:

There’s a similar discussion about this topic in another thread.

As it turns out my data is dated. TM has removed a few versions from the list.

And yes Titleist does it also, but to a lesser extent.
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Update:

Why do we care if there are special iterations for their staff players anyway? Try the ball. You either like it or you don't.

I like the '18 version of the TP5x. Best wind ball I've ever used and I've grown accustomed to the feel. I'm looking forward to trying the new model to see if/how it's been improved.
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
    edited Feb 4, 2019 9:10am #373
    dpb5031 wrote:

Update:

Why do we care if there are special iterations for their staff players anyway? Try the ball. You either like it or you don't.

I like the '18 version of the TP5x. Best wind ball I've ever used and I've grown accustomed to the feel. I'm looking forward to trying the new model to see if/how it's been improved.

Well said!

As golf nuts here on WRX we care about a lot of silly golf things that don’t real matter... but in my opinion are a lot of fun! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • kiddockiddoc Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our club has TP5 range balls...

No issues with wear at all.

Last year had TP5X range balls...same
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    Someone's going to beat trying them ahead of the release date by a long way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Dozen-2019-TaylorMade-TP5X-golf-balls-new-in-box/303051285375?hash=item468f43a37f:g:q-4AAOSwYTtcWO4o:rk:1:pf:0

I'm so jealous; and desperate to get my hands on the 2019 version here in the UK. The fact it's frozen outside and i've not been playing enough to justify them is neither here nor there.......
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    ODYSSEY White Hot Pro 2 - (Rossie) - 343g  / 34.5"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
  • spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoMembers Posts: 390 ✭✭
    G-Bone wrote:

crispy830 wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

Yes, I believe he is.

It doesn't look like the conforming list has the 2019 models up yet. I'm not seeing any of the ninja star options on there.
    Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*
    Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego[/size]
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    G-Bone wrote:

crispy830 wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

Yes, I believe he is.

Srixon Z star line has more non-retail variations..
  • parmachineparmachine Members Posts: 16
    New ball is unbelievable
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    parmachine wrote:

New ball is unbelievable

Cool, now elaborate...

giphy.gif
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Some info would be awesome... LOL

I plan to buy a box of ProV1s, X and each TP5 box. Last years version gave me my longest gains and best performance, even though I kept playing my AVX. The only thing keeping me from switching is yellow availability.
    G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to imagine that this is a case of evolution over revolution but I will be interested in testing to find out.
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    Less than a week to go to release date and info / tests / reports are scant. Like pretty much non-existent - apart from the expected TM insiders / staff.

In previous years i've always managed to get a sleeve of newly released TM balls early and before release date. This year apart from two auctions on ebay.com [For X's that don't interest me right now] - i've seen no real 'leaks' at all.

Seems TM have made a real concerted effort to keep things quiet perhaps. And to think of those warehouses somewhere; full to the brim of new stock.....

Roll on Friday !
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    ODYSSEY White Hot Pro 2 - (Rossie) - 343g  / 34.5"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I've noticed. I've been playing with the TP5 because the TP5X just felt really hard off the club face, especially while putting. Almost a clicky sound when I hit it. For Christmas, my brother got a few dozen TP5x from Amazon that he said was on sale. I noticed they were the 2017 model. They stayed in the boxes until a recent round. I was running low on my TP5's so I stuck a few sleeves of them in my bag to get me by until I go grab some more of the TP5's. I put an X in play and instantly noticed that it didn't feel that hard. I'm getting slightly better distance with the driver due to the lower spin rates and still getting what I need around the green. Wonder what they did to the ball in 2018.
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,627 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use a check n go for my golf balls. 1 out of 4 TM balls are so out of round they hit the cover of the check n go. I have only had one ProV do this in 8 dozen....

I’ve been testing balls with an open mind and found this to be true myself. I’ve marked and tested the out of round balls on my home putting green and you can absolutely see the difference. Bridgestone is by far the most consistently round ball made. Titleist is good too ( 19 model v1x) and chrome soft x is about 2 balls per dozen bad. Funny thing is that the less than perfect callaway balls still roll pretty true. But the tp5x doesn’t. I had one in fact that if you lined up the heavy side opposite of break would roll straight and not break.

Curious why this comment was completely ignored ?

Believe it or not this isn’t a compete deal breaker as I can always use practice balls . 2-4 per dozen out of round could be overloooked if the ball was game changing as reported. Going to test the new ball and see.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• 1s1k1s1k A-Town, MAMembers Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny Choo wrote:

Simple on course chemistry test to see if balls are really different from old TP5 & TP5X

1) on a slope green release balls at same time to test roll speed.

2) Drop balls from 6 ft high onto green on three occasions at the same time to see angle of response

3) Hit 2 balls each from 50 yards with a 60 degree wedge to check spin response from short distance.

4) Hit 3 balls each with 9 degree loft driver

to check ball flight and distance

5) Hit 2 balls each with 7 irons to check ball flight and distance.

A 0-6 handicapper should be able to carry out this test with ease. Unfortunately I am not that low a handicapper so I am out of the running

Choo choo. Go away way
    TM M5 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2-Iron HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    TM P.7TW 3-PW Project X 6.5

Titleist SM7 WedgeWorks Raw
    46*/10F Project X 6.5 
    50*/08F, 54*/10S, & 60*/12D TI DG S400

TM Spider X 34" Navy
    TM TP5X
    Mizuno MP32's 2-PW 
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW 
  • mmack067mmack067 OttawaMembers Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny Choo wrote:

Simple on course chemistry test to see if balls are really different from old TP5 & TP5X

2) Drop balls from 6 ft high onto green on three occasions at the same time to see angle of response

3) Hit 2 balls each from 50 yards with a 60 degree wedge to check spin response from short distance.

A 0-6 handicapper should be able to carry out this test with ease. Unfortunately I am not that low a handicapper so I am out of the running

Ya not quite that simple...
    Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    Titleist TS2 15* - Whiteboard 70X
    Titleist 910H 17˚ -  Project X 7.0
    Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S
    TM Milled Grind 58 SB
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  

• OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use a check n go for my golf balls. 1 out of 4 TM balls are so out of round they hit the cover of the check n go. I have only had one ProV do this in 8 dozen....

I’ve been testing balls with an open mind and found this to be true myself. I’ve marked and tested the out of round balls on my home putting green and you can absolutely see the difference. Bridgestone is by far the most consistently round ball made. Titleist is good too ( 19 model v1x) and chrome soft x is about 2 balls per dozen bad. Funny thing is that the less than perfect callaway balls still roll pretty true. But the tp5x doesn’t. I had one in fact that if you lined up the heavy side opposite of break would roll straight and not break.

Curious why this comment was completely ignored ?

Believe it or not this isn’t a compete deal breaker as I can always use practice balls . 2-4 per dozen out of round could be overloooked if the ball was game changing as reported. Going to test the new ball and see.

This is disturbing. 1 out of 4?!
  • spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoMembers Posts: 390 ✭✭
    Danny Choo wrote:

lolwut
    Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*
    Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego[/size]
  • Totalee74Totalee74 Members Posts: 64
    edited Feb 12, 2019 2:51pm #389
    Anyone chomping at the bit may want to check Academy sports, mine had the 2019 tp5s out today!
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,627 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Totalee74 wrote:

Anyone chomping at the bit may want to check Academy sports, mine had the 2019 tp5s out today!

good info

i checked my shop and they are waiting on the ups truck and expect balls and spider X today.... i guess TM waiting till the last second to ship to stop guys like me from getting them a few days early..lol come on TM $ is $....
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file