New TP5 and TP5X

Comments

• KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,802 ✭✭
    As usual with TM, all I care about are the golf balls. I'm hoping the TP5 is available in yellow.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • getgolfedgetgolfed Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited Jan 3, 2019 1:11pm #153
    jll62 wrote:

Given the talk about durability of the current TP5/TP5x as it relates to scuffs and shearing, I thought I'd post this info from the product launch event I attended in late November. The 2019 ball has a much improved paint system. It now moves with the cover at closer to the same rate during impacts, so the paint is less likely to shear off.

Interesting. Hopefully they hold up better than last years version.
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,501 ✭✭
    I hope the seam line is closer too seamless.
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • Coy MCoy M OG Baby Members Posts: 1,148 ✭✭
    GC70 wrote:

I would love to see a ball that fits in-between the 5 and X. The distance of the X and soft feeling spin around the greens of 5! image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />

I picked up the last gen tp5x when they went on sale for $35. They preform so well for me in all facets of the game.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,166 ClubWRX
    jll62 wrote:

Given the talk about durability of the current TP5/TP5x as it relates to scuffs and shearing, I thought I'd post this info from the product launch event I attended in late November. The 2019 ball has a much improved paint system. It now moves with the cover at closer to the same rate during impacts, so the paint is less likely to shear off.

TaylorMade engineers did most of their testing by firing balls at cart path materials, before building a contraption that could simulate the effect in the same way.

I've hit the ball, but haven't had a chance to look into the claims that durability has been increased, so for now I can only go by what I was told.

I couldn't ever figure out what the fuss was about (durability wise). I not prone to aiming at the cart paths or concrete so I must be in a minority. Improvement is improvement and I hope they didn't change the TP5X too much - feel wise.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,989 ClubWRX
    Socrates wrote:

jll62 wrote:

TaylorMade engineers did most of their testing by firing balls at cart path materials, before building a contraption that could simulate the effect in the same way.

I've hit the ball, but haven't had a chance to look into the claims that durability has been increased, so for now I can only go by what I was told.

I couldn't ever figure out what the fuss was about (durability wise). I not prone to aiming at the cart paths or concrete so I must be in a minority. Improvement is improvement and I hope they didn't change the TP5X too much - feel wise.

I also didn't have durability concerns with the TP5 or the TP5x, but clearly it's a sentiment that exists.

The new TP5x feels firmer off irons and woods. It has gone from 90 to 97 compression and it's something you notice at impact. However, the cover formulation has also changed and is a little softer. The softer cover combined with a more rigid layer under the cover is supposed to increase spin on shots around the green and approach shots. I didn't have a chance to do any green side testing, unfortunately.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,166 ClubWRX
    jll62 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

jll62 wrote:

I also didn't have durability concerns with the TP5 or the TP5x, but clearly it's a sentiment that exists.

The new TP5x feels firmer off irons and woods. It has gone from 90 to 97 compression and it's something you notice at impact. However, the cover formulation has also changed and is a little softer. The softer cover combined with a more rigid layer under the cover is supposed to increase spin on shots around the green and approach shots. I didn't have a chance to do any green side testing, unfortunately.

After reading the propaganda, it looks like if I stay with the ball, it will be with the TP5 and not the X. We will see though.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Socrates wrote:

jll62 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

jll62 wrote:

After reading the propaganda, it looks like if I stay with the ball, it will be with the TP5 and not the X. We will see though.

Definitely test them both. They're better than last year's balls IMO. I'll likely stick with the TP5x, as I believe that's the better all around ball for me and I can't give up the performance in the wind.
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • jabwind51jabwind51 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

jll62 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

jll62 wrote:

Definitely test them both. They're better than last year's balls IMO. I'll likely stick with the TP5x, as I believe that's the better all around ball for me and I can't give up the performance in the wind.

When is the release date?
    jabwind51 wrote:

February 15, 2019
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
    jll62 wrote:

jabwind51 wrote:

February 15, 2019

Thank you. Now I have to either improve my game so I don’t feel bad about using my new supply that I have or just go ahead and buy them and continue to use “blemished” ones...
    I perfectly timed my supply of the current TP5x to be gone by the time the courses closed in MN. So I'm ready for the new ones!
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,145 ✭✭
    Release feb 15.

Durability was an issue. Again, not the urethane or inner layers but the cover paint used did get scuffed. Impact to your game was probably quite minimal but, many don’t like seeing scuffs and scratches in the ball cover. It’s offputting.

Price per dozen is $45.

Compression is up to 97 on TP5x...that’s pretty marbley. I’m talking harder than srixon z star xv, prov1x, laddie precept, etc. Itll feel like the pinnacles prior to 2010 and those were hard. This is harder. BUT, let’s just wait and see.

If I were to keep playing TM balls, the regular TP5 would be it for me. Softer compressions and better flight with amazing spin.
    jll62 wrote:

I perfectly timed my supply of the current TP5x to be gone by the time the courses closed in MN. So I'm ready for the new ones!

Ha. The struggle..losing a new ball off the tee is so so bad IMO. Currently have over two boxes left bc I am too scared!
  • stanger37stanger37 Posts: 349 ✭✭
    It is good enough to pull Rickie away from ProV1s supposedly. Not on Titelist ball mentions anymore.
    Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • joliver233joliver233 Posts: 309 ✭✭
    stanger37 wrote:
    It is good enough to pull Rickie away from ProV1s supposedly. Not on Titelist ball mentions anymore.

Has he been playing the new TP5? I haven’t been keeping up with the equipment changes this year.
    WITB:

D: 9* G400 LST w/Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05/X
    3W: 14.5* Cobra F8+ w/Even Flow Blue X
    Irons: 716 AP2 3-PW w/KBS C-Taper S+
    Wedges: 50* SM6; 54*, 58* SM7 w/DG s400
    Putter: TM Spider Tour Black w/t sightline
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • getgolfedgetgolfed Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    joliver233 wrote:

stanger37 wrote:

Has he been playing the new TP5? I haven’t been keeping up with the equipment changes this year.

Yeah, haven't seen the model reported, but one of the TP5s
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    So the 2nd markets for TP5X previous generations are going to be sweet !
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 405 ✭✭

I've never been so disappointed with a TM golfball as per the current TP5-X. And i've been a sole Taylormade golf-ball user since they re-launched in the premium market in 2006.

TP Reds, LDP's etc all seemed primarily (For me) to be plenty long enough, to spin well from 40 yards in [And living right by the sea] never balloon. Some versions were a little more hardy in reference the cover shearing, some felt a little softer. Perhaps. But more than anything they flat out performed.

The 2018 TP5-X is the complete opposite. Goes well off the long clubs. And that's it. Feels rank on less than a half-shots, very-very average around the greens. Clicky as heck off the putter. And doesn't even resist scuffing that well to boot !

I've 'just' changed / started trying other balls. But am so ready to go back to a TM offering if they change and improve. Not just change for change sake.

I feel like they were both too firm. Im hearing that this years tp5 are softer and spin better around the greens. I have a doz that i just got on monday but havent even pulled them out to putt with.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,602 ✭✭
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Posts: 870 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:
    Socrates wrote:

jll62 wrote:

Not what I wanted to hear,, the ball getting firmer. I loved where the X was at feel wise.
    Looks like the TP5 will be the ball I test against the ‘19 Pro V1. I hope the increase in compression of the new TP5 gives me the ball speed of the old TP5x while retaining most of the old TP5’s short game spin and putting feel.
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,702 ✭✭
    Sounds like a winner, might have to give this one a try!? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,232 ClubWRX
    good stuff, can probably move from the x to the regular once my supply runs out
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • bitt03bitt03 Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Any idea what the difference in spin between the 2 is for woods and irons? Are we talking 100rpms or something drastically more?
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,679 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:

So that means you had just enough hoping not to loose before snow hit...OR....you had plenty and sprayed them everywhere image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    noodle3872 wrote:

Looks like the TP5 will be the ball I test against the ‘19 Pro V1. I hope the increase in compression of the new TP5 gives me the ball speed of the old TP5x while retaining most of the old TP5’s short game spin and putting feel.

The 2019 TP5 did not change compression. It's still 85 compression, just like the 2017-18 TP5. That said, it does have the firmer HFM layer under the cover to add speed off driver/irons and help optimize spin off wedges, but they changed the core slightly. The net result is a ball that should be a little faster, but it has the same feel.

It's the 2019 TP5x that changed compression from 90 to 97. They added HFM but did not change the compression of any parts of the core. The net result is a ball that feels a little firmer.
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
    CDM wrote:

jll62 wrote:

So that means you had just enough hoping not to loose before snow hit...OR....you had plenty and sprayed them everywhere image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Ha! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> Let's just say I don't lose too many. Most end up in the shag bag.
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • Smitty120Smitty120 MDMembers Posts: 436 ✭✭
    Oooooo Boy..... the Golfing gods are going to strike down now. I predict 1st tee ball next round will be lost! image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />

M6 - ACCRA TZ6 M5

M3 HL - Tensei Pro White 80TX

P790 3 - ADDI 95X

P760 4, P730 5-PW - X-100 Tour

MG Raw 52,58 - S-400 Tour

Toulon Garage Atlanta

TP5X

edited Jan 4, 2019 4:42pm #181
    jll62 wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

The 2019 TP5 did not change compression. It's still 85 compression, just like the 2017-18 TP5. That said, it does have the firmer HFM layer under the cover to add speed off driver/irons and help optimize spin off wedges, but they changed the core slightly. The net result is a ball that should be a little faster, but it has the same feel.

It's the 2019 TP5x that changed compression from 90 to 97. They added HFM but did not change the compression of any parts of the core. The net result is a ball that feels a little firmer.

The 2017 ball was 83 compression.
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5