Top 5 Courses you played in 2018

1234689

Comments

  • SuperbritSuperbrit Posts: 461 ✭✭
    St Andrews Old Course

    St Andrews New Course

    Torrance (Fairmont)

    Worsley Park Mariott

    Championship course Portal
  • JJPIVJJPIV Posts: 155
    1-The Alotian Club

    2- MPCC Shore and Dunes

    3- Prairie Dunes

    4- Bluejack National

    5- Aldarra Golf Club
    Rogue SZ 10.5, Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    818 H2 19, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
    718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
    718 AP2 6-9, PX LZ 6.5
    Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60
    Cameron Mid Slant Newport
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,161 ✭✭
    JJPIV wrote:


    1-The Alotian Club

    2- MPCC Shore and Dunes

    3- Prairie Dunes

    4- Bluejack National

    5- Aldarra Golf Club




    Is there a way you can describe Bluejack? Just curious what feel Tiger's design has.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • BMorrison852BMorrison852 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    The Country Club - Composite Course

    Eastward Ho! CC

    Myopia Hunt Club

    Boston Golf Club

    Hyannnisport Club
  • kircordkircord Members Posts: 8


    The Country Club - Composite Course

    Eastward Ho! CC

    Myopia Hunt Club

    Boston Golf Club

    Hyannnisport Club


    played Myopia earlier this year and was completely blown away by the place ...haven't played the others yet and would be interested in how you compare the others - thanks
  • runningdogrunningdog Members Posts: 18
    St Andrews (Old)

    St Andrews (New)

    Royal Dornoch

    The Machrie Links

    Tobacco Road
  • BMorrison852BMorrison852 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    kircord wrote:



    The Country Club - Composite Course

    Eastward Ho! CC

    Myopia Hunt Club

    Boston Golf Club

    Hyannnisport Club


    played Myopia earlier this year and was completely blown away by the place ...haven't played the others yet and would be interested in how you compare the others - thanks




    The Country Club-Composite Course is the most difficult course I have ever played (played the ocean course with little wind). The place itself oozes old school money with yellow buildings all over the property. The course was long (7,500 yards), had very difficult rough (4-5 inces +), tiny greens and many uphill approach shots. Would be too much for daily play from the back tees but a ton of fun to play once.



    Eastward Ho! Is my home course so I am a bit biased. 18 holes on Pleasant Bay in Chatham with a view of the water from every hole. It has most rugged terrain I have ever seen on a non-mountain golf course. Only 6,500 yard but most holes have uphill approach shots and the wind can wreak havoc on any given day. It drains very well and plays firm and fast.



    Boston Golf Club is new but seems like it has been there forever. Wonderful rolling terrain with large and wildly undulating greens. If you play from the right tees it is very playable tee to green, the real difficulty is managing the greens.



    Hyannnisport Club is a very sporty club with about 1/3 of the holes on the water. Not very difficult unless the wind is up but always fun to play. The terrain is rolling and greens are small and fast. Probably the fourth best course on the cape behind Old Sandwich (could be considered off cape), Eastward Ho, and Cape Cod National.
  • Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Just Played Kapalua today which was awesome. Both the Bay Course and the Plantation Course are such a treat to play.
  • HackZoganHackZogan Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    1. Vintage Club - Both courses

    2. Haig Point

    3. Harbour Town

    4. Blackjack’s Crossing - Lajitas, Tx

    5. The Crosby Club
  • kircordkircord Members Posts: 8

    kircord wrote:



    The Country Club - Composite Course

    Eastward Ho! CC

    Myopia Hunt Club

    Boston Golf Club

    Hyannnisport Club


    played Myopia earlier this year and was completely blown away by the place ...haven't played the others yet and would be interested in how you compare the others - thanks




    The Country Club-Composite Course is the most difficult course I have ever played (played the ocean course with little wind). The place itself oozes old school money with yellow buildings all over the property. The course was long (7,500 yards), had very difficult rough (4-5 inces +), tiny greens and many uphill approach shots. Would be too much for daily play from the back tees but a ton of fun to play once.



    Eastward Ho! Is my home course so I am a bit biased. 18 holes on Pleasant Bay in Chatham with a view of the water from every hole. It has most rugged terrain I have ever seen on a non-mountain golf course. Only 6,500 yard but most holes have uphill approach shots and the wind can wreak havoc on any given day. It drains very well and plays firm and fast.



    Boston Golf Club is new but seems like it has been there forever. Wonderful rolling terrain with large and wildly undulating greens. If you play from the right tees it is very playable tee to green, the real difficulty is managing the greens.



    Hyannnisport Club is a very sporty club with about 1/3 of the holes on the water. Not very difficult unless the wind is up but always fun to play. The terrain is rolling and greens are small and fast. Probably the fourth best course on the cape behind Old Sandwich (could be considered off cape), Eastward Ho, and Cape Cod National.
    thanks for sharing
  • SpicoliSpicoli Posts: 327 ✭✭
    All three at Capitol Hill, Pasatiempo, Hilton Head: Atlantic Dunes and Fazio/RTJ at Palmetto Dunes.



    Locally... Atlanta National and Country Club of the South
  • benno_rbenno_r Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    Bit of an update after another trip, no particular order:

    1. Royal Melbourne West

    2. Pasatiempo

    3. Streamsong Red

    4. Paraparaumu Beach

    5. Jacks Point
    Mizuno MP Type 2 - ADTP 6s
    Taylormade M2 - ADDI 7s
    FLY-Z XL 19 - Attas 105HS
    FLY-Z XL 22 - Attas 105HS
    Ping G30 5-GW
    GrindWorks 54/58
    Edel / Lajosi / Ping / Xenon / Odyssey / Black Lab on rotation
  • SpudgunSpudgun Members Posts: 23
    1.muirfield

    2. royal birkdale

    3. woodall Spa - Hotchkin

    4. Kingsbarns

    5. North Berwick / Formby- it’s a tie in 5th place. NB more beautiful, Formby a better/ harder course imo.

    royal lytham only makes the subs bench for 2018 and loved that too
  • Doc HolidayDoc Holiday Members Posts: 26
    1. Pebble Beach

    2. Kiawah Island - Ocean Course

    3. Streamsong - Black Course

    4. Bay Hill

    5. Pinehurst #2
  • tad950tad950 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    tad950 wrote:


    1) Ballybunion- Even though I wasn't a fan of #18.

    2) Tralee- A pleasant surprise for me.

    3) Dooks- Certainly the Best Value. Great views and great local atmosphere.

    4) Green Hills CC- An Alister MacKenzie course with views of SFO

    5) Montreaux- Not usually a fan of golf course community courses, but this one is fun and challenging.




    I need to add to my list. But not sure of the order anymore.



    Nanea Golf Club. The most manicured golf course that I have ever played. I felt bad making a divot.



    The Preserve Golf Club. Carmel, CA
  • ChancemanChanceman Members Posts: 545 ✭✭
    Kingston Heath

    Royal County Down

    Waterville

    Desert Forest

    Seven Canyons
  • MalvernMalvern Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Morfontaine

    Chantilly (Vineuil)

    The Links: Fancourt

    Metropolitan (Aust.)

    Cape Wickham (Aust.)
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭
    Was a great year......



    1. TOC

    2. North Berwick

    3. LACC / Riviera

    4. Kingsbarns

    5. Prairie Dunes / Ballyneal



    Honorable mention to Plainfield CC, Sherwood CC, Essex County Club, Sand Valley
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭




    Hyannnisport Club is a very sporty club with about 1/3 of the holes on the water. Not very difficult unless the wind is up but always fun to play. The terrain is rolling and greens are small and fast. Probably the fourth best course on the cape behind Old Sandwich (could be considered off cape), Eastward Ho, and Cape Cod National.




    I played CCN this summer and thought it had very good conditioning, however too many trees IMO and lack of water views. Greens were above average as well.
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,519 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:



    Hyannnisport Club is a very sporty club with about 1/3 of the holes on the water. Not very difficult unless the wind is up but always fun to play. The terrain is rolling and greens are small and fast. Probably the fourth best course on the cape behind Old Sandwich (could be considered off cape), Eastward Ho, and Cape Cod National.




    I played CCN this summer and thought it had very good conditioning, however too many trees IMO and lack of water views. Greens were above average as well.




    Little unfair to criticize a course that's not on the water for not having water views. And the trees are also inherent in the design intent of the course. It's playing the way Brian Silva wanted it to. You might not like that, but it's not a design flaw per se (as opposed to the trees at Oakmont that were not part of the original design).



    From an architecture perspective, I think it's a fascinating course because it's sort of the link between the lush parkland 60s/70s/80s and the minimalist 2000s. The holes are heavily "framed" by the trees and contours, but bunkers are rough around the edges and fescue is high and wild.



    I would agree with the assessment above that it's one of the top 5 on the cape.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,598 ✭✭
    Not a big golf and travel year for me in '18 but I did get to play the exclusive Goodwood GC here locally. 10 players a day avg.
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭
    raynorfan1 wrote:

    Schley wrote:



    Hyannnisport Club is a very sporty club with about 1/3 of the holes on the water. Not very difficult unless the wind is up but always fun to play. The terrain is rolling and greens are small and fast. Probably the fourth best course on the cape behind Old Sandwich (could be considered off cape), Eastward Ho, and Cape Cod National.




    I played CCN this summer and thought it had very good conditioning, however too many trees IMO and lack of water views. Greens were above average as well.




    Little unfair to criticize a course that's not on the water for not having water views. And the trees are also inherent in the design intent of the course. It's playing the way Brian Silva wanted it to. You might not like that, but it's not a design flaw per se (as opposed to the trees at Oakmont that were not part of the original design).



    From an architecture perspective, I think it's a fascinating course because it's sort of the link between the lush parkland 60s/70s/80s and the minimalist 2000s. The holes are heavily "framed" by the trees and contours, but bunkers are rough around the edges and fescue is high and wild.



    I would agree with the assessment above that it's one of the top 5 on the cape.




    So what would Tara Iti be if Doak kept all the Pines?



    There is nothing bad about CCN having trees, I thought some corners had too many trees and played tricked up as a result, which is an architecture based observation.



    Personally I spent time in CC as a child and loved it, being so close to the water I was disappointed there wasn't a view of the water as it couldn't have been more than a 100-200 meters to the bay at some points. Eastward Ho is right across the water and certainly is a highlight because of those views. It doesn't take away from the architecture, but it does take away from the beauty IMO. You are free to judge as you wish, no less so than myself.



    Also I wouldn't classify this as a minimalist design as they moved quite a bit of dirt...."On January 2, 1997 Wadsworth Construction Company began moving the earth and CCN's construction was underway. The Wadsworth crew removed, relocated, and redistributed 750,000 tons of dirt and finished the basic shaping of the golf course on schedule."
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,519 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:


    So what would Tara Iti be if Doak kept all the Pines?



    There is nothing bad about CCN having trees, I thought some corners had too many trees and played tricked up as a result, which is an architecture based observation.




    A decision to keep or cut trees made by the original architect (IMHO) should be respected as part of the design philosophy. I haven't been down to Tara Iti yet, but if Doak wanted all the trees cut to meet his design ethos, that's great. Had he left them, that would have been fine too.



    If having trees playing defense in certain spots makes the course not your cup of tea, that's fine, but it's not per se a design flaw.


    Schley wrote:
    Personally I spent time in CC as a child and loved it, being so close to the water I was disappointed there wasn't a view of the water as it couldn't have been more than a 100-200 meters to the bay at some points. Eastward Ho is right across the water and certainly is a highlight because of those views. It doesn't take away from the architecture, but it does take away from the beauty IMO. You are free to judge as you wish, no less so than myself.




    The topography of the site just doesn't really work. The closest point to Pleasant Bay is probably the 11th greensite, and it's probably possible to create a view from there - but they'd have to buy the lot between the course and the road, clear the trees, and then you'd have busy Route 28 in the foreground for a view to the water which wouldn't be more than a glimpse from several hundred yards away. Eastward Ho! is totally different because its property line actually is the shoreline of the bay.



    I like ocean views as much as the next guy, but I can't knock a course for not having them.


    Schley wrote:
    Also I wouldn't classify this as a minimalist design as they moved quite a bit of dirt...."On January 2, 1997 Wadsworth Construction Company began moving the earth and CCN's construction was underway. The Wadsworth crew removed, relocated, and redistributed 750,000 tons of dirt and finished the basic shaping of the golf course on schedule."




    Totally agree. I find CCN interesting because it is the link between the manufactured parkland varietals of the 60s/70s/80s and the minimalist designs that followed. It is not a minimalist design, but you can start to see the stylistic fuzzy edges of minimalism creeping into a hugely manufactured site.
  •  bnr204 bnr204 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    solid '18 for me given i only played domestically:



    1. Pasatiempo

    2. Bel Air CC (LA if that wasn't obvious)

    3. Lakeside GC

    4. Kapalua Plantation

    5. Wilshire CC
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,927 ✭✭
    edited Dec 14, 2018 #176
    Argonne69 wrote:


    1) Chambers Bay

    2) Mammoth Dunes

    3) Sand Valley

    4) TPC Scottsdale

    5) Torrey Pines South



    I'm scheduled to play TPC Sawgrass in mid-December, and I expect it'll kick Torrey Pines out of the top 5.




    I played the Stadium course at TPC Sawgrass today, and I'd put it at #3 for the year, moving Torrey Pines South off the list.



    20181214_105540.jpg
  • kro88kro88 Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    1. Sleepy Hollow Country Club

    2. Winged Foot East

    3. Bethpage Black

    4. Deepdale Golf Club

    5. Wykagyl Country Club
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
    Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭
    raynorfan1 wrote:

    Schley wrote:


    So what would Tara Iti be if Doak kept all the Pines?



    There is nothing bad about CCN having trees, I thought some corners had too many trees and played tricked up as a result, which is an architecture based observation.




    A decision to keep or cut trees made by the original architect (IMHO) should be respected as part of the design philosophy. I haven't been down to Tara Iti yet, but if Doak wanted all the trees cut to meet his design ethos, that's great. Had he left them, that would have been fine too.



    If having trees playing defense in certain spots makes the course not your cup of tea, that's fine, but it's not per se a design flaw.


    Schley wrote:
    Personally I spent time in CC as a child and loved it, being so close to the water I was disappointed there wasn't a view of the water as it couldn't have been more than a 100-200 meters to the bay at some points. Eastward Ho is right across the water and certainly is a highlight because of those views. It doesn't take away from the architecture, but it does take away from the beauty IMO. You are free to judge as you wish, no less so than myself.




    The topography of the site just doesn't really work. The closest point to Pleasant Bay is probably the 11th greensite, and it's probably possible to create a view from there - but they'd have to buy the lot between the course and the road, clear the trees, and then you'd have busy Route 28 in the foreground for a view to the water which wouldn't be more than a glimpse from several hundred yards away. Eastward Ho! is totally different because its property line actually is the shoreline of the bay.



    I like ocean views as much as the next guy, but I can't knock a course for not having them.


    Schley wrote:
    Also I wouldn't classify this as a minimalist design as they moved quite a bit of dirt...."On January 2, 1997 Wadsworth Construction Company began moving the earth and CCN's construction was underway. The Wadsworth crew removed, relocated, and redistributed 750,000 tons of dirt and finished the basic shaping of the golf course on schedule."




    Totally agree. I find CCN interesting because it is the link between the manufactured parkland varietals of the 60s/70s/80s and the minimalist designs that followed. It is not a minimalist design, but you can start to see the stylistic fuzzy edges of minimalism creeping into a hugely manufactured site.




    I think CCN is a nice course, my only observation is that keeping trees to make certain angles on a couple holes made it play tricked up. As good of a layout as the site may have offered, but still no less that was the end result for a couple holes. This is why making the best of the site is the challenge, not necessarily making the best course possible. The site may not have offered that to Urbina a blank canvas and did a nice job.



    I didn't point out the lack of water views because I thought it should have happened or was possible, I pointed it out because I had no idea where the course was or how close it was to the water when I won the charity auction. We drove in and around water obviously so we were hoping it would maybe be close to it. The disappointment was playing in Cape Cod and not having water to me. Not that anyone can or should deduct any penalty for that, but being a child seeing cape cod several times I had Eastward Ho in my mind and when it was certainly no water views it was disappointing to me. Maybe they could have gotten one, I don't know I haven't looked at the satellite view.



    I would give this course a 5-6 on the Doak scale if we are scoring, which is a solid course. The clubhouse is quaint and membership small.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭
    kro88 wrote:


    1. Sleepy Hollow Country Club

    2. Winged Foot East

    3. Bethpage Black

    4. Deepdale Golf Club

    5. Wykagyl Country Club




    Great list..... can you compare Deepdale to Wykagyl? Both as courses and facilities etc. I have heard wonderful things of Deepdale.
  • TheLarchTheLarch Major Winner Members Posts: 964 ClubWRX
    Goose Pond Lake Course in Scottsboro AL

    Gunter's Landing in Guntersville, AL

    Chariot Run in Laconia, IN

    Ben Hawes In Owensboro, KY

    Hillcrest in Owensboro, KY



    Come to think of it, these were the only courses I played this year.
    Tayormade 2016 M2 HL Driver 
    Taylormade 2016 M2 3 wood 15*
    Taylormade RBZ 5 wood 19*
    Taylormade RBZ hybrid 22*
    Mizuno MP H5 irons 4/PW 
    Cleveland 588 RTX 50* & 56* Wedges
    Ping iN Craz-e putter
  • kro88kro88 Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:

    kro88 wrote:


    1. Sleepy Hollow Country Club

    2. Winged Foot East

    3. Bethpage Black

    4. Deepdale Golf Club

    5. Wykagyl Country Club




    Great list..... can you compare Deepdale to Wykagyl? Both as courses and facilities etc. I have heard wonderful things of Deepdale.
    I would say Deepdale is more old school or at least has that feel. The clubhouses and practice facilities are similar. The main difference is that DGC is a golf club and Wykagyl is a country club. Both have a great logo and great merchandise pro shops.



    Wykagyl has really solid par 3s. And some treacherous green complexes. Deepdale has A great routing and some great risk/reward tee shots. Both offer great contouring. The one thing that really stood out at Wykagyl is that I hit every club in my bag. Not sure that’s ever happened before for me
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
    Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X
Sign In or Register to comment.