Tour Players playing Titleist AVX?

RyanNoodlesRyanNoodles Members Posts: 25
Have any PGA or European Tour players switched to the Titleist AVX ball?

Comments

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,178 ✭✭
    Never happen.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,165 ✭✭
    Why?
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • summerofsummerof Posts: 201 ✭✭
    So little spin for iron shots and wedges
  • jjljjl Members Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Brandel Chamblee. Does he count?
    Cobra F8 Tour Length
    Ping G410 Hybrid 19*
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW
    TaylorMade HiToe 50, 56, 60*
    TaylorMade Spider X 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B RX
    Titleist Players 4 
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭
    I doubt any of them would want to switch. The point of AVX is to lower spin off your irons to gain distance. Do guys who hit their 7i's 185 need more distance?

Maybe 1 or 2 guys here or there might mess around with it, but with such firm and fast greens, I'm guessing guys want an optimal amount of spin.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ClubWRX
    No one on the PGA Tour or European Tour is playing the AVX.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭
    I'd say it will find its way to LPGA tour if not there already, but PGA tour course set up no way. Greens are too hard and fast on men's tours for avx.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,024 ✭✭
    Plenty are playing the pro v1 version though. The low spin ( left dot I think ). Just has v1 dimples instead of avx . That’s why. They have a ball that’s very very similar. It isn’t because none want spin reduction. Remember. It doesn’t just reduce spin with full shots. Taking spin off all around canbe a godsend for a high spin player.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • ThayneilThayneil Members Posts: 523 ✭✭

Have any PGA or European Tour players switched to the Titleist AVX ball?

never
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,315 ✭✭

Plenty are playing the pro v1 version though. The low spin ( left dot I think ). Just has v1 dimples instead of avx . That's why. They have a ball that's very very similar. It isn't because none want spin reduction. Remember. It doesn't just reduce spin with full shots. Taking spin off all around canbe a godsend for a high spin player.

Sorry ? The Prov1 "version" of the AVX. Did I miss that ?

As for the original premise, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the shorter hitters and/or high spin players move to the AVX. Then again, peer pressure can be tough. LOL

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,170 ClubWRX
    nsxguy wrote:

Plenty are playing the pro v1 version though. The low spin ( left dot I think ). Just has v1 dimples instead of avx . That's why. They have a ball that's very very similar. It isn't because none want spin reduction. Remember. It doesn't just reduce spin with full shots. Taking spin off all around canbe a godsend for a high spin player.

Sorry ? The Prov1 "version" of the AVX. Did I miss that ?

Currently 14 versions of the ProV1-V1X on the USGA List. One is the V1 with a left dot and one is the V1X+ which are likely Tour Only releases.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • rayguy24rayguy24 Members Posts: 76
    Don’t see why any tour players would want less spin
  • Weston11Weston11 Posts: 169 ✭✭
    I don't think it's crazy to think a tour player would play the AVX. Look at how successful the TP5X has been and one of the defining features of that ball is less spin off the mid to short irons while still retaining lots of spin on short shots.

To me the AVX spins less around the greens than a V1, but the differences isn't that substantial. I can't imagine a ball like the B330 spins more than the AVX around the greens.
    Driver: TS3 8.5 - Evenflow White 75 6.5
    Fairway: TS2 15 - Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 80
    Irons: '19 Apex Pro (4-9) - $-Taper 130x
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 51F, and 55S - DG TI S400 Onyx; '19 PM grind 60 - Hi Rev 2.0S 
    Putter: Byron Morgan 615
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    rayguy24 wrote:

Front pin on #9 at Augusta ? image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Seriously though, someone mentioned "optimal spin". He sounded like he meant "most spin" though.

Optimal doesn't mean higher (or lower). A higher spinning ball into the wind is problematic, no ? I expect some pros hit it "too high" or "too spinny" (for them) and wouldn't mind a lower launching and lower spinning ball.

Guess time will tell. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

Front pin on #9 at Augusta ? image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Too soon?
    SLDR 460 8.5° - Rogue 60x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

rayguy24 wrote:

Seriously though, someone mentioned "optimal spin". He sounded like he meant "most spin" though.

Optimal doesn't mean higher (or lower). A higher spinning ball into the wind is problematic, no ? I expect some pros hit it "too high" or "too spinny" (for them) and wouldn't mind a lower launching and lower spinning ball.

Guess time will tell. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

I remember many, many years ago, that a player (Mark Lye, if I remember correctly) hit a spinning shot into a back pin position and spun it off the front of the green.

Probably over 30 years ago.
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
    Weston11 wrote:
    I don't think it's crazy to think a tour player would play the AVX. Look at how successful the TP5X has been and one of the defining features of that ball is less spin off the mid to short irons while still retaining lots of spin on short shots.

To me the AVX spins less around the greens than a V1, but the differences isn't that substantial. I can't imagine a ball like the B330 spins more than the AVX around the greens.

Well there’s a reason they don’t play the AVX and probably never will but play the others you mention. Maybe you’re just wrong in your assessment.
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    Titleist has more "prototypes" on tour than any other maker. If someone on the mens tour even plays and AVX, it will be a "proto" version that is nothing like the store version, but yet a smart marketing ploy to juice sales of the ball, but it would have to be a player of some notoriety.

Basically soft and low spin isn't popular with 110+ swing speeds. Even the Z-Star has a very limited tour presence, as most Srixon staffers game the XV and the Z-Star is firmer than the AVX with much better spin.

LPGA, wouldn't be shocked but then again it will need to be a bigger name and some extra dough from Titleist to pay to play IMHO.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • Weston11 wrote:

" I can't imagine a ball like the B330 spins more than the AVX around the greens."

Why?
  • Weston11Weston11 Posts: 169 ✭✭
    edited Oct 10, 2018 #21
    Driver: TS3 8.5 - Evenflow White 75 6.5
    Fairway: TS2 15 - Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 80
    Irons: '19 Apex Pro (4-9) - $-Taper 130x
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 51F, and 55S - DG TI S400 Onyx; '19 PM grind 60 - Hi Rev 2.0S 
    Putter: Byron Morgan 615
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    yeah i think the combo of all the proto ProV1s and hard greens precludes a tour player using the AVX. But def a lot of amateurs seem to like it.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
    Weston11 wrote:

A 50 yard shot by some hacks at golf digest supports your position but not what tour players actually use?
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,495 ClubWRX
    I could maybe see one of the young kids with very high swing speed trying the AVX. It usually takes awhile to learn the dead hand wedge. Lower spin ball could keep'em on the greens until they learn that shot. The AVX will be niche on tour at best though.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 976 ✭✭
    Played an avx today and no way on tour with such little spin
    ALL LEFTY -
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9* Hzrdus t1100 75 6.5
    PING G400 LST 8.5 version GD p9003tx, [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cally[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Epic Flash SZ 13.5 smoke 80 6.5 shaft (107g)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cally Apex 18 Ut nunchuck shaft
    Mizuno 900 forged 4-gw X100 hardstepped
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey black SM5 54/58 s400[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] O works 1 wide 33.5in[/font]
    Ball - Tp5/Tp5x

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Our WRXer[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Our WRXer, Who art on Golfworks, hallowed be Thy game; Thy A-game come, Thy eagles be done on the course as it is in the General Forum. Give us this day our daily bird; and forgive us our slow play as we forgive those who slow play in front of us; and lead us not into early extension, but deliver us from triples. Amen. [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Written by:[/font]DeNinny
  • rstlnerstlne AEIOU and sometimes Y West CoastClubWRX Posts: 201 ✭✭
    This is all speculation for this thread, but, I think if it were not up to the branding image, and maybe tour contracts, maybe a few tour pros would play the AVX? The Pro V1 and V1X is still the premier premium tier ball and the most played on tour and I think that is what drives the sales number and what they need tour players to play. I'm not a pro V1/X player but they probably want their tour staffers to stick with the top-tier ball to potentially influence sales and the prestige of their brand. I've tried a few sleeves of AVX and I think it is a good ball, for me, better than V1, maybe not V1X. Not my gamer, but AVX fills a void in capturing those extra couple percentage points for market share purposes, i think.
    rstlne wrote:
    This is all speculation for this thread, but, I think if it were not up to the branding image, and maybe tour contracts, maybe a few tour pros would play the AVX? The Pro V1 and V1X is still the premier premium tier ball and the most played on tour and I think that is what drives the sales number and what they need tour players to play. I'm not a pro V1/X player but they probably want their tour staffers to stick with the top-tier ball to potentially influence sales and the prestige of their brand. I've tried a few sleeves of AVX and I think it is a good ball, for me, better than V1, maybe not V1X. Not my gamer, but AVX fills a void in capturing those extra couple percentage points for market share purposes, i think.

The AVX costs the same as the V1 and x so why would Titleist frown on any pro playing it who wanted to play it? They wouldn’t! The undeniable fact is it doesn’t perform. Tour pros don’t need to hit their 7 iron longer or have overall less spin.
  • sos7sos7 Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Bottom line the ball is the most important gaming equipment. It will take a lot for any pro to change if they are getting results
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    edited Oct 11, 2018 #29
    playa wrote:

I'd say it will find its way to LPGA tour if not there already, but PGA tour course set up no way. Greens are too hard and fast on men's tours for avx.

Doubt if LPGA players would be fit into the AVX - it's for golfers who spin and get too much height with the ProV1 - also, you're giving up your spin on the short game.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,477 ✭✭
    Weston11 wrote:

Personal observation, but this test seems to support my position:

https://www.google.c...-categories/amp

"After a ton of scientific testing, I came up with the Bridgestone Tour B X as the perfect ball for myself, but after seeing the tests in Golf Digest, I'm contemplating a change." - Bryson DeChambeau
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    rstlne wrote:

2 things

The Japan Tour Prestige is the same ball as the AVX , are any international pros playing that ball ?

Second , there is no confirmation Titleist has captured more market share. I still think their price point for the general public will keep them as a niche offering from a premier brand.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow