End of the Season - Cold & Snow

A.PrinceyA.Princey Major HackerMembers Posts: 2,162 ✭✭
Man, the end of the golf season is fast approaching here in the upper midwest, and with all the unseasonably cool/rainy weather lately, fall golf up to this point has been a bear. I'm trying to squeeze every little bit out of it that I possibly can, but November is fast approaching and this weather pattern seems as though its here to stay. Not only that, but later this month I'll be consumed by whitetail bow hunting for several weeks during this prime archery period, and that leaves little room for rounds between now and then. I've played so well this season and only seem to be getting better, but its all coming to a close much faster than I'd like. Maybe we'll get lucky and have some drier/warmer days soon, but it's got me in a funk like no other season end in recent memory. I know some other folks are even less happy than me due to snowfall already, but who else is feeling the winter blues already??
'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)

Comments

• GimmieHendrixGimmieHendrix Unregistered Posts: 153
    Snow came 6 weeks early here this year and with a vengeance. Our season got cut very short. We got 40cm on October 1st, the courses were hoping to stay open until the end of the month. This is quite extraordinary weather, we broke a record on that day actually. We broke a few records this year both for heat as well as snow, the weather is getting more extreme and Alberta is already famous for it's weather extremes. We can shift by 50 degrees in 24 hours.

Depressed? Not at all. We are used to it, we grow up in it. Calgary is the sunniest city in Canada, I find that as long as it's sunny out the rest just isn't that depressing. It never gets grey here for more than a minute. I installed a 3 x 20 foot Rymar green, great for putts and chipping, and put in an 8 x 15 as well for break setups. Got a ton of putting gadgets, and also got Rapsodo Rmotion going this week, so if anything I'm glad to have the winter to fine tune some stuff.

Cool bonus of hitting Sterling Wishon Irons is I can swing them inside without hitting the roof. Ha ha.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭

Snow came 6 weeks early here this year and with a vengeance. Our season got cut very short. We got 40cm on October 1st, the courses were hoping to stay open until the end of the month. This is quite extraordinary weather, we broke a record on that day actually. We broke a few records this year both for heat as well as snow, the weather is getting more extreme and Alberta is already famous for it's weather extremes. We can shift by 50 degrees in 24 hours.

Depressed? Not at all. We are used to it, we grow up in it. Calgary is the sunniest city in Canada, I find that as long as it's sunny out the rest just isn't that depressing. It never gets grey here for more than a minute. I installed a 3 x 20 foot Rymar green, great for putts and chipping, and put in an 8 x 15 as well for break setups. Got a ton of putting gadgets, and also got Rapsodo Rmotion going this week, so if anything I'm glad to have the winter to fine tune some stuff.

Cool bonus of hitting Sterling Wishon Irons is I can swing them inside without hitting the roof. Ha ha.

On the metric system up there I see?

Re: the ladder you left outside

Do they call it a "6-footer" or a "1.83-meter?"
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    It's going to be 80 degrees in New York this afternoon. My buddy and I are gonna play at least 9 after work tonight. But this weekend looks to be in the 40's-50's. So it's possible this is it for 2018.

Then again, it's New York. If you don't like the weather now, just wait 15 minutes.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • uitar9uitar9 Members Posts: 386 ✭✭

Tough year. Started late (first of May) and ended early (Oct 1). We usually get 7 months in. Maybe fox hollow will open during a chinook in January lol
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway
    [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]20.5 [/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 5-PW irons[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 52 and 56 wedges[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]TM Spider mallet[/font]
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    Summer weather in Ontario yesterday and today, then back to seasonal temps end of week into weekend, hope to hit the range tonight, then have our work tournament this weekend. Hope were playing at least into November, last year Dec 2nd was our last round. Sucks though when your game is showing improvement steadily then the season ends haha
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,818 ✭✭
    Winter golf pretty much began for us today, on a day when it was 65F.

Our summer was do dry and warm that our fairways took an absolute battering and were burnt out by the beginning of June with next to no growth on them. We then had a really wet end to August and September. As a result we are on kick to the side or hit off mats already. Sucks! We'll keep on playing, we are rarely shut for any length of time over the winter but putting on four layers and waiting for the frost to lift before you go out does not make for a great golfing experience. Roll on March 2019.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • GimmieHendrixGimmieHendrix Unregistered Posts: 153
    Ferguson wrote:

On the metric system up there I see?

Re: the ladder you left outside

Do they call it a "6-footer" or a "1.83-meter?"

We use metric for temperature but imperial for distance. Yards, feet, celcius. lol. The great thing about being Canadian is you can mix and match systems. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Tough year. Started late (first of May) and ended early (Oct 1). We usually get 7 months in. Maybe fox hollow will open during a chinook in January lol

Bingo. I had a great year on the course, it was a nice sunny summer without much rain but yep very short. They had said it would be a short winter, will cling to that dream for now. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 800 ✭✭
    5 centimeters or 2 inches of snow white in central Alberta, they closed my home course for the season.

D.

sCirEAX.jpg

zDvkxRq.jpg
    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM5 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,737 ✭✭
    What is cold, sincerely Florida...

giphy.gif
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Temperatures have been excellent here in northern MO........we've just had 2 feet of rain in about 4 days this week however image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,260 ✭✭
    As long as there's no snow on the ground, I'm usually willing to play. So far the past 2 years, I have played in every single month in the winter. Was it fun to play in the upper 30s, probably <32F with the wind? Not really... Miiight not be doing that again.

I'll probably draw the line at 45F this year. Depending on weather, that usually means I only need to take off January and February, barring any early snow.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    We’ve only had a few days it hasn’t been raining in the last couple weeks, and temps have been in the 40’s for the most part, with a couple 50* days sprinkled in.

Fall is typically a beautiful time to play golf in MN, but it’s been a rough fall. We went from 90* to 50* and raining within a few days. I definitely have the winter blues already. The last few seasons I got to play a lot of golf and was ok with a bit of a forced break, but I didn’t get nearly as much golfing in this year, and I’m very unhappy about the weather situation looking bleak.

I’ll play if the courses are open regardless of temp, but it’s just been windy and raining on top of the cooler weather, and 40 degrees plus rain isn’t much fun.

On a happier note, I started a new job a couple months ago and we have a golf simulator, so the withdrawals will be slightly curbed, but it only helps scratch the itch so much..
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,598 ✭✭
    Makes me glad I’ll be in Hawaii the next 2 weeks. Golf on Maui and Kauai then I’ll have to go home to reality that will suck.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,277 ✭✭

giphy.gif

Also in Florida.....

drake%20gif.gif
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭

giphy.gif
    **** you, **** you to ****!!!
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400

giphy.gif

Also in Florida.....

drake%20gif.gif
    I think that's a 9-club wind.
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    80 yesterday. 60 today. Windy. Great golf weather. Bad news is by next week the fairways will go dormant and it will be mud season until late April when the fairways come out of dormancy.

You guys that have cool season grass have got it pretty good. Maybe in the heat of summer the fairway gets a little rough for you but through the winter, provided it is not covered by snow, you have something green to play golf on.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,737 ✭✭

giphy.gif

Also in Florida.....

drake%20gif.gif

Oddly, means I get to golf more since the courses rarely get badly effected, but I get paid days off of work and you have to find something to fill the time so why not golf.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • rwc356rwc356 Chicago, IllinoisMembers Posts: 315 ✭✭
    45 today in Chicago with frost warnings for tonight / tomorrow morning. I still hope to be able to play for another 30-40 days.
    Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag
    The biggest issue I have this year is how well I've played. Everything is falling into place right now and I know my personal best, where I go crazy low, is out there. Driving, irons and putter are all getting hot, but the temperature has other ideas. When the last day does hit me hard, waiting for winter to pass will be a hard pill to swallow. Nothing short of trophy deer this bow season will be enough to brighten my spirits, lol.
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
  • zoned_post_meridiemzoned_post_meridiem Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    A.Princey wrote:

The biggest issue I have this year is how well I've played. Everything is falling into place right now and I know my personal best, where I go crazy low, is out there. Driving, irons and putter are all getting hot, but the temperature has other ideas. When the last day does hit me hard, waiting for winter to pass will be a hard pill to swallow. Nothing short of trophy deer this bow season will be enough to brighten my spirits, lol.

I feel the same. Something I worked on all season finally came together ... and we just had the kind of heavy, wet snow dumped on us that'll likely close courses.
  • BurglarBurglar J-Tibs! Members Posts: 164
    Only thing I'm fighting now is darkness. Weather is beautiful.
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]a yank from the top
    hips propel, a three night stay
    in hosel hotel[/font]
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    A.Princey wrote:

Nothing short of trophy deer this bow season will be enough to brighten my spirits, lol.

In my best pusher-man voice, "Let me introduce you to duck hunting sir." < You think golf is expensive, wait till you get hooked into duck hunting.
  • Loomis13Loomis13 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Like the OP I am dreading the end of gplf season. However I am sitting waiting to pick up a buddy to hit the woods for whitetails. And that has me welcoming the cold weather. So the weather marks the end of a great season but also the beginning of more fun and memories. The beginning of hunting is like the beginning of golf season. filled with anticipation and what ifs, hoping that there are no bad turns ahead.
  • daveltbdaveltb Members Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Lows last night and tonight around 30 degrees and we had snow flurries today. High of 37 today but tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 54. 10 AM tee time tomorrow. Last year we played golf every month of the year in Illinois. We had to drive a couple hours a few times to do it but I've got a few buds that are willing to play anytime we can find an open course.

But yes, the winter cloudy and dreary weather pattern is here and it is depressing.
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    More like winter relief here in Vegas. Yay it's not 100 degrees anymore!
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-PW
    GW - Callaway MD3 (S-48º)
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball
  • 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,880 ✭✭
    First Tee tomorrow morning.. It's going to be around 35 degrees...

Bringing out my winter gear early ..