Switching Ball for colder weather.

2»

Comments

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,136 ✭✭
    Project a worked horribly for me in the cold weather. I think its one of the worst balls you can play in the wind as well

The Wilson DUO U worked wonders this past Friday in 40 degree temps and frozen greens. It warmed up into the 60's and the ball was perfect.
  • XHoop24XHoop24 Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    I've played the Bridgestone e6 soft in the winter and will do so again this year. I normally play TP5/Prov1X, but as located in the DC/Northern VA area, a premium ball is not needed when I do get a chance to play in the Dec-mid March time frame. The e6 Soft is a solid ball tee to green and winter green conditions to not require the spin that a TP5, Prov1 offer as a 12 HC. I'm sure better golfers can get a benefit all year. Also Bridgestone looks to have discounted the e6 if you look around the web.
    TM M3
    TM RBZ Tour 3W 14.5'
    Ping G Hybrid - 18'
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
    Titleist SM7 54' and 58' - S Grind
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭
    edited Oct 23, 2018 #34
    tsecor wrote:

Project a worked horribly for me in the cold weather. I think its one of the worst balls you can play in the wind as well

The Wilson DUO U worked wonders this past Friday in 40 degree temps and frozen greens. It warmed up into the 60's and the ball was perfect.
    And thats why there are choices! YMMV
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members Posts: 2,028
    I switched to the Chrome Soft X after playing the Pro V1X for several years. I like the performance I saw during the regular season but I really love how it performs in cold weather.

Definitely worth a try.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,218 ✭✭
    AHoop24 wrote:

I've played the Bridgestone e6 soft in the winter and will do so again this year. I normally play TP5/Prov1X, but as located in the DC/Northern VA area, a premium ball is not needed when I do get a chance to play in the Dec-mid March time frame. The e6 Soft is a solid ball tee to green and winter green conditions to not require the spin that a TP5, Prov1 offer as a 12 HC. I'm sure better golfers can get a benefit all year. Also Bridgestone looks to have discounted the e6 if you look around the web.

Seen some praise here for the e6soft. I do not like it. It has a plastic look and feel. I do like the optic yellow color, it really stands out.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,337 ✭✭
    If the weather warms up just a bit (the last two weeks have been unusually cold and rainy), I am going to pick up some Srixon Soft Feel and Pinnacle Soft for comparison.
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • blehnhardblehnhard Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side Members Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Happy with the Q Star after 2 rounds. No issues around the greens. Maybe spins a little less than Pro v1x but still checks up.

Definitely feels different off the putter, but creates no distance issues. Lost one in leaves so 5 left. Both rounds in breezy conditions and temps in mid 40's to low 50's.
    gvogel wrote:

If the weather warms up just a bit (the last two weeks have been unusually cold and rainy), I am going to pick up some Srixon Soft Feel and Pinnacle Soft for comparison.

Ive tried both and prefer the softfeel.
  • DaveMacDaveMac Members Posts: 3,113 ✭✭
    To those who thinking changing ball for the winter is detremtal to golf consistency, let’s qualify what constitutes winter conditions.

Temperatures hovering around -4 to +4 celsius. (~35 - 50 f)

The forced use of winter mats.

A drive down the middle is often lost in the leaves in the middle of the fairway.

Greens so waterlogged soft, that your landing point for chip shots, is essentially the hole.

This is winter golf in Scotland, playing a Pro V1 in these conditions doesn’t make any sense to me.

I intend to try the new Srixon soft feel for this winter, priced at £16.50 a dozen, I am happy to accept the performance compromises, if in fact there are any, given the conditions outlined above. Pro V1’s are around £42 by the way.

Just to add I have found ultra low compression balls like the Wilson DX2 lack feel (sound) when putting, they also bounce like superballs when the ground is frozen!
  • sos7sos7 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Tp5 is a great all year round ball
  • MiddlerMiddler Members Posts: 366
    It's all personal preference but I play Snell MTB Blacks most of the season, and W/S DuoSofts when it's really cold early Spring/late Fall.
    CALLAWAY Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
    MIZUNO CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
    MIZUNO JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10 & 60.06
    EVNROLL ER2
    SNELL MTB Black
    OGIO Silencer
    DaveMac wrote:

To those who thinking changing ball for the winter is detremtal to golf consistency, let’s qualify what constitutes winter conditions.

Temperatures hovering around -4 to +4 celsius. (~35 - 50 f)

The forced use of winter mats.

A drive down the middle is often lost in the leaves in the middle of the fairway.

Greens so waterlogged soft, that your landing point for chip shots, is essentially the hole.

This is winter golf in Scotland, playing a Pro V1 in these conditions doesn’t make any sense to me.

I intend to try the new Srixon soft feel for this winter, priced at £16.50 a dozen, I am happy to accept the performance compromises, if in fact there are any, given the conditions outlined above. Pro V1’s are around £42 by the way.

Just to add I have found ultra low compression balls like the Wilson DX2 lack feel (sound) when putting, they also bounce like superballs when the ground is frozen!

+1 We need a lower compression in colder weather, but, I do not like to go too low, like a super soft. I think you will like the soft feel and bridgestone extra soft is a similar ball. They are low-mid compression and 2 piece.
  • Dustin_JDustin_J St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 154 ✭✭
    DaveMac wrote:

Lol, I noticed the same thing yesterday playing in ~ 40 degree weather. The greens aren't frozen yet, but they're very firm. The first green I hit was from about 100 yards, and my Wilson Duo bounced about 10 feet in the air. I could only see the top of the pin and the ball bounced over it! Definitely a wtf moment
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,279 ✭✭
    Tried a Wilson Duo Urethane today. Very impressed, wonder how it will work when it warms up?
  • Trane5Trane5 Members Posts: 339
    AVX! Soft and long! Less spin off the tee will help you hit more fairways!
    What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
    3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
    3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
    4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
    5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
    Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
    Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
    Ball - Titleist AVX
    Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
    Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
    Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
    ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
    ======================================
    The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    I'll typically stay with my Project A or RBZ Urethane, however I also don't mind playing QStars, 50 Elites, or even D2 feels in the cold.
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • DaveMacDaveMac Members Posts: 3,113 ✭✭
    Put the Srixon Soft Feel in play for the last 3 games, I wound up getting the 2016 version rather than the newly released 2018 version. Honestly, I have been disappointed with the feel and performance. Temperature’s with wind chill were close to freezing and there was some frost on a few holes. The ball just felt cheap, the cover felt firm and thick, the core never really compressed (60 compression same as new ball). Flight is a little higher of the driver, ultimately distance was down through the bag a little against my normal ball, short game chipping spin is pretty much nonexistent.

I have hit the Srixon Soft Feel the odd time when the temperatures are normal and from memory it feels a lot softer and more uniform in these temperatures. I don’t think it’s a bad ball just not what I was looking for for the winter. I might try the Wilson Urethane which comes in at £19 a dozen next.
    edited Nov 2, 2018 #49
    DaveMac wrote:

Put the Srixon Soft Feel in play for the last 3 games, I wound up getting the 2016 version rather than the newly released 2018 version. Honestly, I have been disappointed with the feel and performance. Temperature’s with wind chill were close to freezing and there was some frost on a few holes. The ball just felt cheap, the cover felt firm and thick, the core never really compressed (60 compression same as new ball). Flight is a little higher of the driver, ultimately distance was down through the bag a little against my normal ball, short game chipping spin is pretty much nonexistent.

I have hit the Srixon Soft Feel the odd time when the temperatures are normal and from memory it feels a lot softer and more uniform in these temperatures. I don’t think it’s a bad ball just not what I was looking for for the winter. I might try the Wilson Urethane which comes in at £19 a dozen next.

It will be hard to find a good performer in those freezing temps. I have enjoyed the SoftFeel 2018 in 60-65 degree weather. I have found the Q Star Tour a bit firm in the same temps. But, the QST's look like my gamer come the spring and summer! I like the Srixon logo and the color (white or yellow) on their balls. It looks like they are running alot of deals lately too.
  • scottazscottaz ClubWRX Posts: 1,911 ClubWRX
    I play Srixon xv. Started playing the Top Fight Bomb for rounds under 45* this year. I like the colored ones. Really easy to see with leaves. Fly high, low spin and they feel great in cold temps.
  • alexdubalexdub Face sends it, path bends it UtahMembers Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    Here's a pro tip for all you playing fall golf in the cold:

Get a couple of Little Hotties hand warmers for your round — put one in your pocket with your golf ball, and another in the bottom of the cup holder in your cart for your spare ball. Keeps the balls warm enough to feel like you're not hitting frozen rocks.

Here in Utah, the weather has dipped the last few weeks and I've had several rounds in the 20s and 30s. Nothing better than a few Little Hotties to save my hands and my $5 golf balls on the first tee.
    Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Ping G400 5w • Ping i25 4-U • Ping Tour W 54* 60* • Ping WRX Scottsdale BeNi
    Shafts: Fujikura ATMOS Black 6X • Project X Blue 8B4 • Nippon Modus 120X
    Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV • Callaway Chrome Soft
  • CGolfCGolf Members Posts: 22
    I have similar specs to original post....Recently found out about the Duo U.....Duo U in cold weather is an awesome urethane ball and checks nicely. It's soft but I like that especially in cold weather. Played Sat as it got to upper 40s and over thanksgiving in same temp with this ball and it won me over for fall/early spring golf. Now they will have Duo Pro so I will have to check that out. I Normally play Srixon XV most of the year and I do justify a change when it is colder out.
    Wilson V6 4-G DGS300 AMT
    Callaway Mack Daddy 54, 58
    Callaway Epic SZ 10.5*
    Callaway Epic 3 wood
    Callaway x2 Hot Hybrid 18*
    Bettinardi BB40
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,279 ✭✭
    I've been keeping 3 balls in my jacket, that way they are always warm for the next round. Also keep some shorter tees as they don't go in the ground and tend to get lost easily.
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I've had great results this winter with the Tour Soft. Courses are generally that wet it has similar stopping power to one of my usual urethane balls in summer, and it flies straight through the wind and feels good off the Putter.

But then I was always a fan of the NXT Tour for a winter ball, so I guess this is the natural progression.
    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,315 ✭✭
    I play the same ball year round. The only time I switch is for the few weeks the leaves are out. Otherwise its the TP5X (mostly) or the PV1.
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    CGolf wrote:

I have similar specs to original post....Recently found out about the Duo U.....Duo U in cold weather is an awesome urethane ball and checks nicely. It's soft but I like that especially in cold weather. Played Sat as it got to upper 40s and over thanksgiving in same temp with this ball and it won me over for fall/early spring golf. Now they will have Duo Pro so I will have to check that out. I Normally play Srixon XV most of the year and I do justify a change when it is colder out.

1+. Too bad I am almost out of Duo U.
    WWG1 WGA
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 980 ✭✭
    AHoop24 wrote:

I've been pretty happy with the Bridgestone Treosoft in the winter. A little softer, and can get them at a price that I don't mind losing them when they plug in the mud!
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon HertfordshireMembers Posts: 190 ✭✭
    If its a softer ball with decent spin for a non urethane option, I would suggest you read some forum reviews on the Wilson 50 elite. It’s extremely cheap and performs well for what it is

11.5 - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R  @ 44.5" [long T]
    15 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @ 42.5" - D2.5 [safe T]
    20 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 41.5" - D2 [long fairway]
    23.5 - Fairway - F7 - Fujuka Pro 65 S (butt trimmed) @ 40.5 D1.5 [safe fairway]
    27 - Hybrid - Big Bertha OS - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 38.5" D1.5
    32 & 36 - hybiron / 40 & 45 - cavity back - Adams Idea ('14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3
    50/ 54 / 58 / 64 - wedges - Cleveland CB 2.0 * 2 / Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 s / Callaway Sure Out
    Odyssey O’Works 2 Ball fang - MAGNA supersoft – Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag
    90-95 Driver swing speed (up 10mph from last year)

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    funny how this is very typical seasonal topic.

I may be very minority. I recommend Pinnacle Soft. you may have spinning issue on rock hard green. Otherwise, one of the finest 2 piece "El Cheapo" if you ask for distance and feel.
    WWG1 WGA
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Some very entertaining post.
  • okie21okie21 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Davidv wrote:

Some very entertaining post.

Indeed. Good read.
    Titleist [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400) [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vice Pro Plus [/font]