What's your handicap and driver swing speed / distance?

Comments

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Age 71, driver SS 85-88 mph, carry 200-205, total 216-230 depening upon the spin rate.
    Cobra F8+, 10*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Wilson Staff C300 4 hybrid, 21*, Fuji Pro 82 R
    New Level 1031 CB, 5-pw, DG 105 S
    Ping Gorge 50*, CFS S
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

T. Made Hi Toe 58*, KBS Hi Rev
    Evnroll ER6

• SelahViSelahVi Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Age 37, hdcp floats around a 5, swing speed avg 107, carry 260
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 15, 2018 #64
    +.2 - 110mph - 270-275 carry

40 years old. Been playing since I was 12. Have been under a 5 cap since about 16.
  • mark mmark m Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hdcp: +0.4

DSS: Ave. = 114

Distance: I play in MN. It has been around 40 degrees for a high in my last few rounds. Ball goes nowhere. Hands and body cold. Lots of gear, hand warmers, booze, advil etc. October has been terrible. April was bad as well. First round is typically late March or early April. This year: April 28. Put me in mid summer at 80+ degrees, no wind, and 210 to the pin: it's a 5i. (Specs = 24 degrees and 38.5"). I believe that tracks correctly with the swing speed listed?
    Fit at Totally Driven:
    Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05Flex 65g
    TM M4 Tour 3W, Tensei Blue X flex 75g
    TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
    Vokey SM6 50/08
    Cleveland RTX-3 56/11
    Vokey SM6 60/08
    Newport 2.5
  • GMRGMR Members Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    UK 9 index (unoffically track USGA as well and am around a 6)

Average on-course driver speed ~112mph

Average driver carry 265-285 depending on contact and conditions
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 46.

SS about 100-103.

Carry : If the carry on a bunker is any longer than 245, I start thinking about it.

Index : Currently 1.3. That's as low as I've ever been.

Currently, if you offered me a little more distance off the tee, or a little more accuracy, or a little better putting i'd take the distance. Distance leads to everything. Closer to the green leads to closer to the pin leads to more sinks.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Oncore Elixir
  • tigers2irontigers2iron Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    BKN1964 wrote:

TL/DR: Please post your handicap index, and your driver swing speed and/or carry distance.

A link to this article http://www.swingmang...-speed-chart-2/ was posted yesterday in another thread.

I'm 53. My driver swing speed is ~90 mph and my carry distances correlate to the distances in this article http://www.golfwrx.c...ng-speed-chart/ . I'm currently a 20 index.

The chart in the first article "Handicap VS Average Driver Club Speed", correlates a 90 mph driver swing speed with ~16 handicap. After seeing the data I thought "My swing speed and carry distances are going to limit me to being around a 16 index or so." However, I know that a lot of this data is the average for ALL golfers, which skews things. Also, my boss is a 4 index and carries his driver around 225 yards (he's 1 year older than me). Also to keep in mind: The article referenced is selling swing speed training, so I'd expect them to spin their information around making your slow swing speed seem more limiting than it really is.

So I'm curious: What's are some "realistic" handicap potentials for various swing speeds based on the participants in this forum?

Added after seeing 4 replies:

Based on the replies so far, I sat down and thought about my scoring potential on my home course given where my tee shots normally end up. The course is rated 69.9 / 126.

My criteria for determining my scoring potential was based on my distance for my approach shot vs. 150 yards: If my approach shot is 140 or less, I have a good potential to make par most times. 160 yards or more I'm more likely to bogey. Right around 150 yards can go either way.

Based on the above, my "likely" scores if I play well range from 73 to 78, which indicate an index range of 2.7 to 7.8 if my calculations are correct.

Does this sound reasonable as a basis for setting a handicap goal based on my swing speed, which seems to be my limiting factor?

Im 29yo.

Driver SS is 110-113. Average carry distance about 270. 2016 M2 with PX Hzrdus red shaft

HC is 4.9
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    49, SS last tested was the 2016 Gear Trials at 97 mph. My smash factor stinks back then, but I'm better now:

http://www.golfwrx.com/354028/2016-gear-trials-player-profiles-bob-areddy/

But I'm actually better now than then. Need to get back on a TM to see my #s.

Handicap ranged from a low of 0.8 this year to a current 2.5
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Age 62

Handicap Index 3.4

Swing speed high 90s

Typical carry 234-240
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP,

With an index of 20 and SS of 90(ish), you need to and CAN improve in every area of your game. A few years ago, when I got serious about golf again, I was in the same boat. It takes work on your swing mechanics, and on your short game. Its not one or the other.

It takes time and patience, but if you stay determined and practice, you can get into single digits. Here is a starter for you. Do whatever you have to do to stay away from Double Bogies and 3 putts. They are the plague of a scorecard.

Me

Age 61

SS = low to mid 90's

Carry is somewhere from 220 to 230

Index is currently 12.8 and trending lower
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Index is 1.1

SS ~107, carry around 270
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Driver ss most relevant from the tips.

~90 mph ss. I'm between 200-240, depending on conditions and quality of strike. Well struck shots have a higher speed and go further, technique issue.

Hcp is in the teens. Was 15 for a minute and couldn't play for a bit and went into a funk, just coming out of it.

I suspect the correlation bt and hcp is very indirect, and is more relevant to less devoted golfers.

Most of this forum have worked hard enough to attain an acceptable driver and a putter that doesn't bleed. These two things seem to be the most easily attained.

Some people have worked on pitching and chipping more than others, also attainable.

I think the real handicap killer is irons. Approaches. Almost everyone sucks at approaches.

If your second shot is good, I'm willing to bet you're low single digits or better.

So driver speed doesn't befront me, unless we're all playing from the tips.
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • 03SMURF03SMURF Members Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trackman avgs:

Driver CHS:125.1

Carry:316.1

Hdcp:1.1
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]915 Fd 15° - ATMOS Black 8TX
    716 T-MB 3 iron - RIP Tour 115
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    SM5's - 50/08 F, 56/10 (55°) M, 60/08 M - X100's
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #11
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 17, 2018 #75
    52 years of age GRINT HC is 15

swing is mid 90s warmed up

Cobra F-8+ carries 230ish 280 finish is bombed with a good roll.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • BKN1964BKN1964 Members Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s take a few minutes to regroup.

Several people have commented that increasing your swing speed will give you the potential for a lower handicap. I don’t think many people would argue that a higher swing speed, and therefore the ability to hit the ball farther, wouldn’t give you that potential.

However, that’s almost the opposite of what this thread is about. I have to believe there are plenty of golfers like me; people who have slow swing speeds and high handicaps and spend the majority of their practice time trying to significantly increase their swing speeds in the belief that it’s the key to getting their handicaps down, but continue for years with high handicaps and never make any progress.

In the responses so far we’ve seen what I was hoping to see; numerous golfers with relatively slow swing speeds and handicap indexes that I would be very happy to own. This “proves” to me what many on this forum have been saying, which is that most of us would be better off working on learning to score rather than trying to hit the ball farther. I recall Monte Scheinblum commenting in a thread that he’s seen a lot of good swings ruined in the pursuit of more distance.

I’ve plotted the responses so far (hey, I’m an analyst, that’s what I do!). While the trendline definitely correlates higher swing speeds to lower indexes, we can see that there are plenty of golfers with sub-100 MPH swing speeds carrying indexes in the single digits. A few of these are even down below 90 MPH.

This tells me that if we (slow-swingers) start spending a lot more time learning to score instead of trying to swing significantly faster (full swings focused on accuracy instead of speed/distance, dialed in short-game, etc.), we have a decent chance of shooting significantly better scores, even with our slow swing speeds.
  • GMRGMR Members Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BKN1964 wrote:

This tells me that if we (slow-swingers) start spending a lot more time learning to score instead of trying to swing significantly faster (full swings focused on accuracy instead of speed/distance, dialed in short-game, etc.), we have a decent chance of shooting significantly better scores, even with our slow swing speeds.

Very true. Another thing to add is that sometimes it can actually work the other way as well: i.e instead of working to improve swing speed to improve scoring potential, by instead working on your swing with the goal of limiting your dispersion (and therefore helping your scoring), your swing speed will actually improve. That's actually what happened in my case...by working to get my swing and ballflight under control when I was swinging 108, I actually improved my speed up to 113 simply as a byproduct of better mechanics.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,725 ClubWRX
    Carry distance with driver: ~220 yards

Handicap index: 0.3 (men's equivalent of ~6.3)

I rarely hit driver at my home course from the forward tees or when I play senior women's tournaments.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • JohnnyMIkeJohnnyMIke Members Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭
    That plot is fantastic. I didnt realize you were gonna do that. Call it 112mph. 9.5 index for your plot
    Callaway XR 9* Fujikura Blur X tipped to 43" Undersized Grip
    Taylormade 15* RBZ Stage 2 Stock X Undersized grip
    Taylormade 15 TP 2H 17*
    Taylormade V-Steel 18*
    Mizuno Mp-H5 1i bent to 14* 1/2" lengthened DG S300 shaft
    Callaway X-Prototype Utility 18*
    Mizuno MP-H4 3-PW
    Playing Vokey SM6 K grind 52/10, Ping Glide 58 TS, and Callaway PM Grind 64
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 1
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BKN1964 wrote:

Several people have commented that increasing your swing speed will give you the potential for a lower handicap. I don’t think many people would argue that a higher swing speed, and therefore the ability to hit the ball farther, wouldn’t give you that potential.

However, that’s almost the opposite of what this thread is about. I have to believe there are plenty of golfers like me; people who have slow swing speeds and high handicaps and spend the majority of their practice time trying to significantly increase their swing speeds in the belief that it’s the key to getting their handicaps down, but continue for years with high handicaps and never make any progress.

In the responses so far we’ve seen what I was hoping to see; numerous golfers with relatively slow swing speeds and handicap indexes that I would be very happy to own. This “proves” to me what many on this forum have been saying, which is that most of us would be better off working on learning to score rather than trying to hit the ball farther. I recall Monte Scheinblum commenting in a thread that he’s seen a lot of good swings ruined in the pursuit of more distance.

I’ve plotted the responses so far (hey, I’m an analyst, that’s what I do!). While the trendline definitely correlates higher swing speeds to lower indexes, we can see that there are plenty of golfers with sub-100 MPH swing speeds carrying indexes in the single digits. A few of these are even down below 90 MPH.

Nice graph.

Golfers and instruction tend to look at things backwards.

As you swing and play better, you will tend to hit it farther, as your swing gets better and more efficient, which allows it to hit the ball in the center more often and swing faster.

You don’t really get better while just singke mindedly trying to hit it farther.

When people come for a lesson with me wanting to hit it farther, I improve their 7-iron swing and driver club speed goes up.

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice plot indeed but I would say without context it could be a bit misleading and perhaps convince some golfers trying to improve into believing false hoods. In reality, most single digit golfers with lower than average swing speeds are likely older (55+), been playing the game a long time, and used to swing it a lot faster.

In reality, if you are 40 or younger, not severely out of shape, and swinging the driver 90mph, well that probably isnt something I'd be content with.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:

It's a nice plot indeed but I would say without context it could be a bit misleading and perhaps convince some golfers trying to improve into believing false hoods. In reality, most single digit golfers with lower than average swing speeds are likely older (55+), been playing the game a long time, and used to swing it a lot faster.

In reality, if you are 40 or younger, not severely out of shape, and swinging the driver 90mph, well that probably isnt something I'd be content with.

I'm not sure I can agree, what falsehoods do you think the graph could promote? I see a correlation between lower handicaps and higher clubhead speed, and I think that's consistent with every other study that I've seen. Better players, in general, hit it longer.

That doesn't mean that a high swing speed automatically produces a lower handicap, or that a player should prioritize increasing his swing speed above all else. Better players also hit it more consistently solid, and straighter, and with better distance control. In my view, all of that is caused by having better swing mechanics. Improving swing mechanics is the way to becoming a better player for most people. Higher clubhead speed is a by-product of improved mechanics for most players, as Monte said a few posts back. Improved short game and putting is important too, but to a smaller degree.
    edited Oct 18, 2018 #83
    The graph itself is clear (lower index players typically swing the club faster), but the conjecture about some of the outliers is what might lead some down the wrong path, most specifically what I touched on, the single digit players with low (90 or lower) swing speeds.

I agree with everything you are saying about mechanics, improving in general, and gaining speed as a byproduct. But some folks may see the graph, accept they are just a slow swinger, and then simply go out and try to steer the ball vs figuring out what flaws and compensations are keeping them from reaching their theoretical max speed.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BKN1964 wrote:

I think your statement about learning to score better, and just play better, is spot on.

I started playing at 12 and wasn't very good. By 13 I was breaking 100 regularly. By 14 I was breaking 90 regularly. My swing speed didn't change much. By 16 I was breaking 80 regularly. Between 16 and 17 I broke par for 9 holes occassionally. My swing speed increased as I got older and stronger, but not significantly. I grew up pre tiger so I was in that camp of "lifting will make me stiff and hurt my game".

I mostly got better because i learned to play better and score better. Short game, putting, course mgmt...

I got the all a good way today. For 5'8 and 175, I generate a decent bit of power. But I've had that swing speed for many, many years. The last year alone I've dropped my handicap by 3 shots just by focusing on hitting greens. My swi g speed is the same today as it was a year ago. I'm a better player than I was a year ago...

Now, can you help me make a few more putts per round?
  • jut111jut111 Members Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:

The graph itself is clear (lower index players typically swing the club faster), but the conjecture about some of the outliers is what might lead some down the wrong path, most specifically what I touched on, the single digit players with low (90 or lower) swing speeds.

I agree with everything you are saying about mechanics, improving in general, and gaining speed as a byproduct. But some folks may see the graph, accept they are just a slow swinger, and then simply go out and try to steer the ball vs figuring out what flaws and compensations are keeping them from reaching their theoretical max speed.

Exactly the point I was trying to get across earlier in the thread.
  • wkndhackwkndhack Members Posts: 908 ✭✭
    OP, did you run the regression for that plot? I'm curious about the model for index considering speed and age.
    Cobra King F7+ Evenflow Black 65 6.0
    Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
    Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
    Cobra King Utility ONE 21.5 C Taper Lite 110S
    Cobra King Forged Tec Black ONE 5-GW C Taper Lite 110S
    Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V DG S200
    Bettinardi QB8
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
  • Luke_RyanLuke_Ryan Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 50 ✭✭
    I'm 28 yrs old

Playing to a 2.1 Index right now.

Average CHS w/ Driver - btw 115 - 120 mph

Average Carry Distance w/ Driver - 295 - 310
  • BKN1964BKN1964 Members Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wkndhack wrote:

OP, did you run the regression for that plot? I'm curious about the model for index considering speed and age.

No, just a simple plot using swing speed and index and just let Excel determine the trendline. My initial curiosity was purely getting a feel for a realistic HI goal based on my swing speed and club distances.

For others:

As I alluded to previously, I spend pretty much zero practice time on anything other than trying to hit each club farther than I do now. Included in that is that I have to be making decent contact and the ball has to go relatively straight with decent trajectory. But I definitely haven't been working on learning to score.

I have found over the past year or so that if I accept my current club distances for what they are and swing within myself, I can get the ball to, or around, the green in a number of strokes that if I then worked on my chipping and putting would likely get my index at least sub 15. I'm not talking about "steering" it, just focusing on making a good swing, making good contact, and not trying to kill it However, I end up playing with someone who out-drives me by 20 yards and I get blinded by the red mist, even though the third guy who's 20 yards behind me is beating both of us.

I'm over 50, been playing casually since I was about 10. I'm very fit for my age with little-to-no injuries or physical limitations. How much realistically could I expect to increase my swing speed? And would that be the best use of my practice time? I'm thinking I'd be better served splitting that time between improving my swing for accuracy vs. speed (some speed increase may be a by-product), and the other parts of my game that I'm currently ignoring.
    BKN1964 wrote:

wkndhack wrote:

No, just a simple plot using swing speed and index and just let Excel determine the trendline. My initial curiosity was purely getting a feel for a realistic HI goal based on my swing speed and club distances.

For others:

As I alluded to previously, I spend pretty much zero practice time on anything other than trying to hit each club farther than I do now. Included in that is that I have to be making decent contact and the ball has to go relatively straight with decent trajectory. But I definitely haven't been working on learning to score.

I have found over the past year or so that if I accept my current club distances for what they are and swing within myself, I can get the ball to, or around, the green in a number of strokes that if I then worked on my chipping and putting would likely get my index at least sub 15. I'm not talking about "steering" it, just focusing on making a good swing, making good contact, and not trying to kill it However, I end up playing with someone who out-drives me by 20 yards and I get blinded by the red mist, even though the third guy who's 20 yards behind me is beating both of us.

I'm over 50, been playing casually since I was about 10. I'm very fit for my age with little-to-no injuries or physical limitations. How much realistically could I expect to increase my swing speed? And would that be the best use of my practice time? I'm thinking I'd be better served splitting that time between improving my swing for accuracy vs. speed (some speed increase may be a by-product), and the other parts of my game that I'm currently ignoring.

It largely depends on your current swing speed, but you could easily have more in the tank being limited by swing flaws. I play with one guy who is 60+ and some days can barely walk due to his bad back, but can still poke it out there 250 because he has a nice mechanically efficient swing.
  • pgetzenpgetzen Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Age 51

Driver swing speed 95

Index 3.1

King Cobra LTD Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 3 Wood
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19 Hybrid
    Hogan Ft Worth White 4-PW
    Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 Wedges
    Seemore Nashville Z3C
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 21, 2018 #91
    What you're kind of ignoring is that you can't really just take your game and go "I'm going to try to increase swing speed." As if you're just going to get stronger or swing harder with your current move.

Increasing swing speed comes from better mechanics and better mechanics mean center face more often and better path and better contact on irons. Speed and contact go together when your swing gets better.

Scoring is correlated with swing speed but better contact is also correlated with speed. And "time playing" and therefore knowledge of how to play the game is correlated with swing speed (to an extent, obviously) .

If you were a guy that didn't want to do lessons and just get better, I wouldn't recommend going to the range and working on increasing swing speed. I'd recommend going to the range and working on better contact. Like using impact tape, and markers on the ground to ensure you're hitting the center of the face and getting your low point target-side of the ball. You can make vast improvements in those areas just by making it your focus, and you mind find that you're making a better move and getting a little more speed.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Oncore Elixir

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji