Your Favorite Long Iron Replacement/ Driving Iron

Comments

• TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    For good players, original UDI. For mid caps, GAPR mid is outstanding.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,457 ✭✭
    edited Oct 18, 2018 #33
    Anyone hit both the King Utility and the MCC Fli Hi? I just picked up the forged tec black and they are 5-pw. I need a 4i. I have an MMC Flihi already not being used, not sure if the king utlity would really offer any more performance or forgiveness. The king forged are strong lofted so the 5i is going to get bent a little weak, the 4i will play in between a 3/4 iron. I have an 18* U65 already in the bag as well so want something in between that and a 25* 5i
  • SSwansonSSwanson Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I have a Taylor Made P790 UDI shortened 1/2" and bent to 18.5 degrees. It's been a very reliable club for me.
    Titleist TS-3 9.5 degree Driver
    Titleist TS-2 16.5 degree Fairway
    Taylor Made P790 UDI
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Newport Milspec 34"
  • BudmanBudman Members Posts: 111
    Loving the TEE ProH 2 iron with a Diamana white 100 shaft. Easily to hit low bullets dead straight.
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,683 ✭✭
    718 Tmb 3i bent to 19*. AMT white s300. I use it mainly off T but its super easy for me to hit from the fairway too.
    Cobra F9 - Atmos TS Black 6x
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    718 TMB 19* - DG AMT White s300
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • junior79junior79 Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
    Millhill88 wrote:
    TEE CBX iron wood. 2018 version.

Just got a 19* today...extremely versatile club, just glides through the turf!
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,323 ✭✭
    I own a 2i PXG 0311X. I swap with my 5w from time to time.
    PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,155 ✭✭
    Mizzy MP 18 MMC fli hi- best long iron equilivent

TM OG UDI- best pure driving iron

TM GAPR Mid- best “I’ve had a few beers in me” driving iron

Current Gamers

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • LongballjockLongballjock Members Posts: 160
    Krt22 wrote:

Anyone hit both the King Utility and the MCC Fli Hi? I just picked up the forged tec black and they are 5-pw. I need a 4i. I have an MMC Flihi already not being used, not sure if the king utlity would really offer any more performance or forgiveness. The king forged are strong lofted so the 5i is going to get bent a little weak, the 4i will play in between a 3/4 iron. I have an 18* U65 already in the bag as well so want something in between that and a 25* 5i

I've tried both and am about to put an mp18 flihi in the bag just so much easier to hit high and flight low to hit drillers(4 iron)
    What's in the bag

Driver: Cobra F8 9*
    w/ UST elements Chrome
    4wood : Taylormade "07" Burner TP 17.5*
    W/ Fujikura Blur 75x
    Hyrbid: Adams super 9031 21.5*
    W/ Diamana D+ 82s
    Irons : Lynx Prowler VT 5-pw
    W/ Recoil 780 F5
    Wedges: Nike Forged 50* Engage 54*&60* (TS&DS)
    W/ Aldila Multicomp 105
    Putter: Nike Method 001 Flow neck (oven Proto)

Ball: Callaway Chromesoft X
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,661 ✭✭
    Cobra single-length 4-iron...money. It's so good, I want to try their single-length 2-3 combo.
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,594 ✭✭
    baudi wrote:

Still play a set of Mizuno mp flihi - 2009 version. Grafalloy epic x shaft. This d.i. Is a classic model : hbc, maraging steel face.

Also play a set of RomaRo Ballista. With c taper lite s. Is the improved version of dhy: cupped vft to face.

Favorite model could be TM udi tp. Like the looks of Honma tw d.i.

I’d never heard of that club until now, so I searched it on eBay. That’s a nice looking club, one that I’m interested in trying - thanks for bringing it to my attention. But yeesh, that thing’s expensive. (I added it to my watch list, maybe it’ll make it to payday.)
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5° | Evenflow HC Black 65
    vs.
    Cobra F9 9° | Atmos Tour Spec Black 6
    Fairway: M4 Tour 15° | Kuro Kage XT 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° | Speeder HB 8.8
    Driving Iron: Apex X-Forged Utility 21° | AD-DI 105
    Irons: Srixon 785 5-pw | Recoil 110
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 raw 48° F (Handground S), 54° S, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
    Putter: Scotty AOP Newport oil can
    Putter: Piretti Potenza II black 
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 oil can

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,284 ✭✭
    GoIrish17 wrote:

baudi wrote:

Still play a set of Mizuno mp flihi - 2009 version. Grafalloy epic x shaft. This d.i. Is a classic model : hbc, maraging steel face.

Also play a set of RomaRo Ballista. With c taper lite s. Is the improved version of dhy: cupped vft to face.

I’d never heard of that club until now, so I searched it on eBay. That’s a nice looking club, one that I’m interested in trying - thanks for bringing it to my attention. But yeesh, that thing’s expensive. (I added it to my watch list, maybe it’ll make it to payday.)
    I had never heard of RomaRo either until a member mentioned them one night over in the blade users thread. I asked and he was nice enough to post pics of his. Yep one nice looking set of irons
    BIG STU wrote:

GoIrish17 wrote:

baudi wrote:

I had never heard of RomaRo either until a member mentioned them one night over in the blade users thread. I asked and he was nice enough to post pics of his. Yep one nice looking set of irons

I had heard of the brand RomaRo before, but I’m really not familiar with it at all. This club kind of surprised me, actually. I just always thought RomaRo was one of those garish Japanese club companies who’s irons come up in my eBay browsing that are like plated in gold and the drivers look like ridiculously shiny suits of armor, and they are priced outrageously - like tens of thousands for irons and thousands for a driver. Clearly, I was mistaken, this is a really nice looking club, and while not stupid expensive, it’d definitively fall in the upper end of the domestic market. Like PXG prices.
    vs.

WITB:
  • TexasHarleyTexasHarley Members Posts: 45
    I just bought (about 3 hours ago) a Ping Eye 2 Blue Dot 2-iron for $15 on Ebay. I want to say it's like 18 or 19*. I remember hitting my buddy's back in College and absolutely launching them. Truly these irons stand the test of time. One of the best iron sets ever made.
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 738 ✭✭
    For me it's the Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron. Have mine fitted with a C-Taper 120 S and it is money - 220 to 230 yards carry, completely uninterested in crosswinds - round a Links course it is an absolute weapon.

Brooks kept the 3 iron in his bag for ages after he left Nike, which is a good enough endorsement for me.

Might swap the shaft for an S400 as the C-Taper is a bit light for me, but love the head. Great off the tee or the deck.
    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake Members Posts: 1,963 ✭✭
    I love the original Eye 2 BeCu 1 iron! Also, my new Callaway X Forged UT 18° is just flat out amazing. I can hit it high enough off the turf to hold a green, and it's hot enough to use very effectively off the tee. It has quickly become one of my favorite clubs.
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue Max
    X Forged UT 18° & 21° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 54° W w/PX & PM Grind 1.0 58° w/DG
    Toulon Austin
    171831.png
  • jjmurryjjmurry Members Posts: 73 ✭✭
    I am looking for a driving iron currently, but have issues with high ball flight. My irons are JPX 900 tours with c-taper 130's but would prefer a graphite shaft in a driving iron. I was able to try a 790 UDI the other day with the HZRDUS black 6.5 but had issues pulling it left and high, in addition, I was able to try a c-taper 120 on it and hit high slices.

I am going back and forth between a Srixon U85 and the TM 790 UDI, but am looking for input on shafts. Driver ss is 108-110 for reference and am looking to hit low bullets off the tee.

Thanks in advance!
    Cobra F9 - 7.5* GD AD IZ 7X
    TS2 - 15* EvenFlow T1100 75S
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4i - 18.5* AD IZ 95X Hybrid shaft
    JPX 900 Tour PW-4i - C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM7 - 52*, 56*, 60*
    Ping Anser 2
    TP5X
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭
    BearQ wrote:

Ive got a J15DF Shafted with Nippon SPB X. It’s a weapon club. In short it has been the best 3i I’ve ever played. In a players profile too.

Interesting. That actually sounds like a great club
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • mrbhmrbh Members Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Ping G 3i Crossover. Looks and feels like [email protected] but a really forgiving cannon.

TM M6 10.5*, MRC Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 X - Cobra F8 3-4W, Aldila 2KXV Blue 75 S - Ping G Crossover 18*, Ping Alta 75S / Adams TL Ti 5W 18*, Matrix Ozik Code 7 S - TM RAC CGB 3i / TM stock S - 4-G Cobra Forged One, KBS Tour FLT 120 S - Cleveland CBX 54*, KBS Tour FLT 120 S - Cobra King 60*, KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 110 S - TM TP Mullen 2 w/ UST Frequency Filtered shaft & P2 Reflex Tour grip - Ball: Vice Pro+ / Srixon Z Star XV
  • baudibaudi Members Posts: 643 ✭✭
    GoIrish17 wrote:

baudi wrote:

What I like about the Ballista is ability to play this club like an iron because of its shape. Horizontal Workability is good but flihi, udi or ut perform slightly better for this task. The flight is very consistent - the face is very forgiving and the ball comes off hot due to the ti face. It is fairly easy to play hi and low shots.

• CISM WayneCISM Wayne Members Posts: 127 ✭✭
    No contest. Titleist T-MB 3 iron with Tour AD shaft. I no longer own a hybrid and the 3 wood has become a headcover holder only. Crazy long and easy to hit.
  • TexasHarleyTexasHarley Members Posts: 45
    While waiting for my Ping Eye 2 2-iron to get here, I've been pondering shafts. Considering Graphite. It's an 18.5 degree lofted club. Keeping my driver swing speed of mid-90's in mind, should I be eyeing an R-flex or an S-flex. Would definitely want something with a higher trajectory. I'd like to keep the shaft under $50. Can y'all recommend some shafts? Thanks!
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭

While waiting for my Ping Eye 2 2-iron to get here, I've been pondering shafts. Considering Graphite. It's an 18.5 degree lofted club. Keeping my driver swing speed of mid-90's in mind, should I be eyeing an R-flex or an S-flex. Would definitely want something with a higher trajectory. I'd like to keep the shaft under $50. Can y'all recommend some shafts? Thanks!

Aldila VS Proto iron shafts. They can still be found on Ebay for cheap.
    Tmag M3 440 9° Tensei Pro White 70TX
    Tmag M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Aldila Xtorsion Green 85TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-hi 18° GD Tour AD 95X
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F PX6.5. 54S & 59D PX6.0
    Mizuno MP-A308 or Odyssey O-works T3 Black
    Titleist 2017 or 2019 Pro-V1
  • baudibaudi Members Posts: 643 ✭✭

Not graphite but may be a Nippon Zelos.

UST recoil non prototype
  • ATAlxndrATAlxndr RHL Members Posts: 1,013 ✭✭
    Ping Rapture DI
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Ping G410 Plus 10.5* - Matrix 6M3 X
    Ping G410 17.5* - MRC D+ LTD 80X
    Ping G410 20* - KBS Tour Hyb Proto 95X
    Ping i210 4-P - KBS Tour V 120 X
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth (Raw) 50/54/58 - KBS Tour V X
    Ping Redwood Anser
    [/font]
  • leomessi10leomessi10 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I just got a Ben Hogan Ft worth Hi 21. Replaced the KBS 90 with a PX black 6.5 extended to 40” and strengthened 1 deg. 1 range session in and I love it! Problem is that it’s up against my fav club in the bag, my TI Aeroburner small head 5 wood. Good problem to have.
  • GraymulliganGraymulligan Members Posts: 2,363 ✭✭
    I can't hit a fairway wood, so i run an M1 2-hybrid at 15.5 degrees, and a callaway x-utility at 18 degrees between the driver and my 4 iron. There were quite a few auditions to fill the slots, but this setup hits my gaps, and I feel confident over both clubs regardless of what shot I need to hit.
    M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

I just picked up an Accra FX 300H shaft & Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi head to mess around with. I'm sure it'll be the best driving iron/ long iron replacement I've ever hit, until it's not and it's on to the next one.
    vs.

WITB:
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    For me, the longest lasting long iron replacement has been the MP25.

I know it’s not technically a driving iron or hybrid, but it’s really easy to hit and it has more positive attributes to it than other driving irons / utility irons that I’ve had. My reasoning for it is that I’ve always had trouble finding one that I liked off the turf. Every one I’ve tried has been great off the tee, and that’s where the MP25 could use a little extra, but off the turf, it’s the closest thing to my iron set in terms of looks and turf interaction that offers a good deal more forgiveness.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • AtraynAtrayn ClubWRX Posts: 2,053 ✭✭
    I spent the end of summer until now looking for a utility iron to fill the 4i-3W gap. For me, that's approx 220 carry in summer conditions. I tried all the new utility irons that are out with the exception of the new GAPR offerings.

One day out of frustration I went to my local golf store which has a Tru Golf simulator. They have new and used clubs. After trying just about everything, I started going through their used clubs and finally hit a 21 deg SLDR 5W HL. It has been MONEY for me ever since I started using it. Funny thing though, I never looked at the stiffness of the shaft. It comes stock with a Fujikura Speeder 65. When I finally looked this past weekend, it turned out to be a regular flex! I was astounded as I play Stiff in all my clubs. Had I looked at it before I tried it, I would most likely have just put it back. I can hit this club from any lie and off the tee and produce the most beautiful high baby draw you will ever see, every time!

Moral of the story....keep trying everything until you get the desired outcome (ball flight) you are looking for (repeatedly and easily) and don't make the assumption that just because you have been fitted for a specific stiffness, that something else may not suit your swing better.....

Additionally....even though I believe my current Exotics 3W is the greatest thing since sliced bread....I couldn't help buying the SLDR HL 3 wood for $14 off the BAY with the exact same shaft just to see what happens....LOL

It's just the ho in me after all!
    "Someday, it may even be possible to construct some kind of machine
    that will swing a golf club as well as it can possibly be done." "That is probably as close to
    the perfect swing as it would be possible for human beings to get." Ben Hogan 1965 SI

2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
    2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
    2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
    2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
    2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ KBS tour S
    2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
    Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter