ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Comments

• wmblake2000wmblake2000 Advanced Members Posts: 5,439 ✭✭
    Obee wrote:

Man, this thread has me looking around. Mainly, I am trying to find some gross tournaments for super seniors, although I want to play in scga senior am and see if I can make the first cut there is a super senior tourney as well). Long Beach has its sr tournament with age brackets with a bunch of guys in my age bracket (65-70).

The thing this has got me to really think about is two-fold. One, I love to play blades, but I am not so deluded that I think they won't cost me over 2-3 rounds. So what does an optimal setup purely based on scoring look like? Two, this is really about not puking in my shoes over a 3 footer/20 yard chip that matter. That's the goal. Hit the shots under the gun.

If anyone knows of gross tournaments for 60+ (especially in so cal) please let me know...

Do you hit the ball low or high?

Mid/short irons mid trajectory

Long irons low trajectory

I have 2-4 hybrid and 3,4 irons that I swap in and out depending. But for tournament and prep I will play at minimum 2-4 h and maybe more, or a very ago/ gi irons down thru 7 or 8 iron. I am thinking probably 9-w blades because I like thinner soles for chip shots and use these some for that.
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    TM P790 4-AW
    Fourteen mt28v3 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons in my bag before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me
  • WardonationWardonation Advanced Members Posts: 1,355 ✭✭
    I qualified for my third time to represent Oregon in the PNGA cup next spring. It is a ryder cup format with WA,OR,ID and BC..
    I shot a 63 last Monday in an ORPGA PRO AM at Eugene Country club, it was only fro 6400 yards but I also had a bogey and it tied my personal best.
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,610 ClubWRX

I shot a 63 last Monday in an ORPGA PRO AM at Eugene Country club, it was only fro 6400 yards but I also had a bogey and it tied my personal best.

Fantastic!! Are you a mid-am? Or college golfer?
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • bilbry57bilbry57 Advanced Members Posts: 111
    Obee

I am 61 last year I only played 1 tournament Washington state Senior Open 3 rounds were 79, 72, 83.

Putting was atrocious inside 4 feet and I hit some bad shots. Made Quad from 130 yards hit 2 balls long over green OB.. 72 I had 5 birdies but missed 5 putts inside 4 feet. I plan on playing 4-6 events in 2019

I will post them once I have dates.
    bilbry57 wrote:

Obee

I am 61 last year I only played 1 tournament Washington state Senior Open 3 rounds were 79, 72, 83.

Putting was atrocious inside 4 feet and I hit some bad shots. Made Quad from 130 yards hit 2 balls long over green OB.. 72 I had 5 birdies but missed 5 putts inside 4 feet. I plan on playing 4-6 events in 2019

Come join us in the "Putting Improvement" thread! I switched to the claw about two years ago. Currently averaging UNDER 29 putts per round. That's not the greatest putting stat to determine putting prowess, but it's totally legit with every round counted. I used to miss 2 putts per round under four feet. Guaranteed. Not anymore. :-)
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Obee wrote:

bilbry57 wrote:

Obee

Come join us in the "Putting Improvement" thread! I switched to the claw about two years ago. Currently averaging UNDER 29 putts per round. That's not the greatest putting stat to determine putting prowess, but it's totally legit with every round counted. I used to miss 2 putts per round under four feet. Guaranteed. Not anymore. :-)

I have been following your thread and I have putted on and off with Claw past 5 years. I am going to practice with Phiil's grip and see how that feels. I need to start tracking putts I have a spreadsheet from Don Drake will enter it there.

I sent swing to Dan C I have issues with depth and width with my swing he gave me 2 drills starting to hit it better. Problem is too much right arm bend and not enough turn. The feeling he gave me was pulling a bow and arrow how it loads your right side.

Good luck your scoring is impressive averaging 29 putts a round is hard to comprehend.
  • HsteadHstead Advanced Members Posts: 6,326 ✭✭
    I have switched jobs three times in the past two years. The last two jobs I hated and didn't get to play or practice much at all, hence the switches, and when I can't practice I don't like playing in tournaments and not playing well. Takes the fun out of it for me when it feels like you are playing with one hand tied behind your back.

I have qualified for the state am several times over the years, have tried to qualify for the US AM a few times and missed. This year, my new job is awesome and will afford me plenty of golf and practice time. My kids are also now grown so I have more "me" time which sucks to be honest, I miss kids time.

This year I plan to play four local tourneys here that are always fun and should be able to compete to win each. I plan to play in the state am, state mid-am, and depending how my game is, I am going to try to qualify for the US AM and Mid-Am this year. I may play a few state Monday events to prep.
    TaylorMade M3 9.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
    Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
    Titleist 818 H1
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6-P, 5 Forged, 4 Hot Metal KBS Tour X
    Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
    Directed Force
    Snell
    Hstead wrote:

I have switched jobs three times in the past two years. The last two jobs I hated and didn't get to play or practice much at all, hence the switches, and when I can't practice I don't like playing in tournaments and not playing well. Takes the fun out of it for me when it feels like you are playing with one hand tied behind your back.

I have qualified for the state am several times over the years, have tried to qualify for the US AM a few times and missed. This year, my new job is awesome and will afford me plenty of golf and practice time. My kids are also now grown so I have more "me" time which sucks to be honest, I miss kids time.

This year I plan to play four local tourneys here that are always fun and should be able to compete to win each. I plan to play in the state am, state mid-am, and depending how my game is, I am going to try to qualify for the US AM and Mid-Am this year. I may play a few state Monday events to prep.

Yes!!

This is what it's all about. We put it out there and we either do or we don't. As amateurs, our bar should be the same as pros: we do it or we do not. There is no team to rely on. There is just us and the course that day and that field. :-)
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    bilbry57 wrote:

Obee wrote:

bilbry57 wrote:

Obee

I have been following your thread and I have putted on and off with Claw past 5 years. I am going to practice with Phiil's grip and see how that feels. I need to start tracking putts I have a spreadsheet from Don Drake will enter it there.

I sent swing to Dan C I have issues with depth and width with my swing he gave me 2 drills starting to hit it better. Problem is too much right arm bend and not enough turn. The feeling he gave me was pulling a bow and arrow how it loads your right side.

Good luck your scoring is impressive averaging 29 putts a round is hard to comprehend.

Keep in mind, I am 51 years old. I have a full-time job with a five hour commute. I play 2 to 3 times a week. I carry driver 225 to 235 yards. As I have aged, my greens in regulation has gone down to 10 to 10.5 per round. Generally, I do not miss grreens by a lot. So I am able to get up and down fairly easily, if my short game and short putting are intact, which they are since I've switched to the claw. :-)
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Obee wrote:

bilbry57 wrote:

Obee wrote:

bilbry57 wrote:

Obee

Keep in mind, I am 51 years old. I have a full-time job with a five hour commute. I play 2 to 3 times a week. I carry driver 225 to 235 yards. As I have aged, my greens in regulation has gone down to 10 to 10.5 per round. Generally, I do not miss grreens by a lot. So I am able to get up and down fairly easily, if my short game and short putting are intact, which they are since I've switched to the claw. :-)

I lived in So Cal for 25 years so I remember the 5 hour commutes and feel your pain. The fact you are a plus HC despite being a short hitter and only hit 10ish greens speaks volumes about your short game and putting. I work 60-70 hours a week and drive 3-4,000 miles a month so I only get to play 2-3 times a month. I am going to spend winter working on a couple swing drills and will definitely give the claw a full test. I will post my. Results on your putting thread.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Advanced Members Posts: 4,684 ✭✭
    Just reading this thread has me itching to get back out and play some golf. It is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to being a Scottish golfer...how long until April and the golf season starts?
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame Advanced Members Posts: 2,605 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'll be honest, I haven't played in many state tournaments and locals as I would have liked because I've been focusing on paying for my son's college tuition which comes first before any golf tournaments.

I did play in couple state senior 4Ball tournaments, won the first one. But I sucked on 2nd day of 2nd Sr 4Ball so didn't finish well, the host club had free beers during a long rain delay on the 2nd day so you can guess the results, ha. I did win my club's Senior Club Championships this past July, my 22nd club championship victory. That's about it for this year. I did play in many fun scrambles that was paid for.

Next year, I will try to make an effort to play in more state senior tournaments along with USGA Senior Open and Senior Amateur qualifiers.
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    Titleist 917F2 15* & 18* Diamana D+ 80 x-stiff
    816H1 21 & 25 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    718 AP2 5-PW Modus 130 stiff
    SM4 52* & 58*
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• KC13KC13 Advanced Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Obee wrote:

bilbry57 wrote:

Obee wrote:

bilbry57 wrote:

Obee

5 hour commute, ouch! Gotta love the 91 Freeway... ( I am sure no one does)

- KC
    Callaway Epic SZ 10.5° set to 9.5°, Speeder Evo V 661 X 44.75"
    Callaway Rogue 17°, Speeder Evo V 757 X 42.25"
    Titleist 816 H1 21° B1 setting, Matrix Ozik Altus X 40.25"
    Mizuno MP-18 SC/MB 4-PW, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X
    Titleist SM7 Raw 50/54/58, KBS Tour 120 S
    Odyssey O-Works Red 1WS
    18' Pro V1
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Advanced Members Posts: 5,023 ✭✭
    Obee - 5 hour commute? Goodness. I.E. ---> Orange County?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    br61 wrote:

I'll be honest, I haven't played in many state tournaments and locals as I would have liked because I've been focusing on paying for my son's college tuition which comes first before any golf tournaments.

I did play in couple state senior 4Ball tournaments, won the first one. But I sucked on 2nd day of 2nd Sr 4Ball so didn't finish well, the host club had free beers during a long rain delay on the 2nd day so you can guess the results, ha. I did win my club's Senior Club Championships this past July, my 22nd club championship victory. That's about it for this year. I did play in many fun scrambles that was paid for.

Next year, I will try to make an effort to play in more state senior tournaments along with USGA Senior Open and Senior Amateur qualifiers.

Excellent! I look forward to following your year. :-)

ebrasmus21 wrote:

Obee - 5 hour commute? Goodness. I.E. ---> Orange County?

IE to DTLA.
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
  • lhahnlhahn Advanced Members Posts: 368
    5 hour commute! I nearly moved to the IE two years ago but my dad got really sick and I couldn't leave. That's crazy!!
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TM 2016 Tour Issue M2 8.1* - Copperhead 70TX[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 915fd[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TM P790 18*
    Mizuno JPX 919T[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Mizuno 50*, 54*, 58*
    Yamada Emperor 33"
    Bridgestone B330S/Ksig[/font]
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Advanced Members Posts: 1,849
    this "off season" if you call it that in CA lol. I want to work more on my stamina in the gym. I usually lift heavy with little cardio. I will be switching it up to have more balance and start stretching more. Since I quit golf I put on a lot of muscle/fat in the 4-5 years, while I feel like a beast on the course.... I really don't see any gains from when I stopped playing I feel like I am just carrying more weight and I feel more fatigued at 18 LOL

I have already started focusing on swing changes and will continue to focus on short game
    Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
    vietnameeh wrote:

this "off season" if you call it that in CA lol. I want to work more on my stamina in the gym. I usually lift heavy with little cardio. I will be switching it up to have more balance and start stretching more. Since I quit golf I put on a lot of muscle/fat in the 4-5 years, while I feel like a beast on the course.... I really don't see any gains from when I stopped playing I feel like I am just carrying more weight and I feel more fatigued at 18 LOL

I have already started focusing on swing changes and will continue to focus on short game

Yeah, there really is no "off season" for me here. I find tournaments to play in pretty much every month, and January through March is "team play" season, though it's net golf. Keep you involved though. :-)
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
  • Ty_WebbTy_Webb Advanced Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭
    So I played in my two tournaments. The first one was not good at all. Cold and windy and I hadn't played in nearly a month. It showed. Didn't qualify.

The second one went much better. I was -3 after 17. 5 birdies and 2 bogeys. Haven't shot under par in something that mattered for about 4 years. 18 is a narrow par 4 with bunkers left and right and a fairway that slopes right to left. I tugged my drive about 5 yards left of center and wound up in the left hand fairway bunker. No lip and was 127 out, wind slightly hurting. Hit a little 9 iron and hit it pure. 6 feet from the hole. Now I was pumped. I looked at my putt and I thought it was going to break about a foot right to left and by pretty quick once it started turning (green is almost a joke how much it slopes). I was wrong. It was actually pretty much straight downhill. It broke maybe 2 inches and just kept going and going. Wound up with 6 feet back again and missed that too.

Still, that put me tied for the lead after round one. Shot 68 (-2) and it was not an easy course. Strong field and only 4 people under par (including YT). The second round, I got there a little bit earlier than ideal (had to really in case the traffic was bad). I was standing behind the first tee, in part because I wanted to watch the two guys who were tied 3rd tee off. They are both WAGR ranked. One is in the 500s and the other in the 100s. Playing behind guys like that was really cool, because it meant I had beaten them both in round 1. I did however feel quite out of place. Like a pretender who shouldn't have been there. That will be because I haven't been in that situation before. It was good to be there, but I wasn't a huge fan of not feeling like I should be. I want to put myself in that spot more often, so I don't feel like that anymore. Then my golf proceeded to put me back in my place. Shot 81 in round 2 and finished 8th. Not great considering where I was after round 1, but I'm pleased overall with the result. Top ten in any of these sorts of things is above my usual standard.

It's funny though - day one I just felt like it was easy. I aimed at a spot and I pretty much hit it there. I putted really well too (aside from the last). Then day two I felt like I had two left arms. I think in part because of the tension from feeling out of place. But also it was like everything just went against me. If I hit it fairly close, I had a putt that was uphill to the hole and then downhill past it. I think the club decided they didn't want more good scores, so they put the pins in some "interesting" spots. I went out in 40. Back nine made a good par on 10, bogeyed 11, great par on 12, bogeyed 13 after misclubbing, then 14 and 15 did me in. 14 uphill approach. 114 flag and 102 to clear the front trap. Downwind and uphill, so I figured they would cancel out and I didn't want to go by the hole, so I hit basically my 115 shot. Hit the lip of the bunker and rolled back underneath the back lip. The wind had switched on me. Went at it steep and hard and got it out, but it ran up a tier in the green and finished about a foot above it. I set my putt moving and nothing more and it went 15 feet by. Double. Then the next, 208 par 3, hit it in the front right bunker. Get in there, little bit of a back stop if I hit it too hard and the club bounced on the ground under the sand. Only bunker of several that I had been in that did that. Over the green. Now that backstop had become another impossible spot. Hit a basically perfect chip, but again ran 15 feet past. Double. Thanks.

Why is it that when you don't quite have your best stuff, those are the days when you catch the bad breaks too? I didn't play those two holes great by any stretch, but I didn't play them that badly and wound up +4 for them. Stupid game.
    Ping G30 9° Diamana white 63x
    Ping G30 3 wood Accra
    Titleist 714CB 2, 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Vokey 52 and 56
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Advanced Members Posts: 1,849
    Awesome story Ty_webb!

You will be back in the same position and be way more comfortable.

I had a similar situation in a local tournament years and years ago. I came in tied for medalist for the qualifying portion of a match play... carried the confidence into match play made to round of 8, then I got paired with one of the hot college players in the area... let it get to my head I felt like I didn't belong like I was lucky to get there.. then got worked

I hope to get into that position some day.
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Advanced Members Posts: 4,684 ✭✭
    I know what you mean Ty about feeling slightly out of place. I remember qualifying for the knock out section of a local matchplay competition. I qualified in 10th and 16 made it through. The next day I just didn't feel right at all. There were guys playing in it that had played for the Scottish national team, great county players and some up and coming youngsters and then there was me.

I was still relatively young at the time as well, maybe 19-20 but I just didn't feel like I belong. Played horrible the front 9 and then pretty good on the back 9 and eventually got beat 2&1.

The biggest thing that I took from it was not to concentrate on what the other guys were doing. Nothing that I did was really going to effect me. Hard to always remember that I admit but definitely learned a lot from it.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
    Obee wrote:

I am 47 and feel it everyday lol....

Obee wrote:

**** YA WARDONATION!

That's why is golf is great... I am a mid am and play with older mid-ams, seniors and superseniors every sunday in a skins game.

ALL + handicaps and can keep up with the young guys....if they use a cart LOL jk
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh

Obee wrote:

47? Pffft. Try 66 on for size.

Nice round. Nice course. We were there visiting when the Senior am was playing.
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    TM P790 4-AW
    Fourteen mt28v3 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons in my bag before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me
  • b.heltsb.helts Advanced Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭
    Obee. How’s the Sandpiper Invitational go?

One of my favorite courses, played it 100s of times, could be over 1000.
    Finished 3rd behind two buddies from my club. They shot 66, 67.

Partner and I shot 67, 71. I had back spasms the final round starting on the third hole and played one-legged with the Gary Player step-through swing. :-(

We did manage to make a skin on #2 where I made a 20-footer for $1110! :-)

Former Tour player Matt Gogel was in the field (they finished 4th, I think).

Tournament was a blast. Greens running 13 to 14. Just absurdly fast, but so fun.
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Obee wrote:

Partner and I shot 67, 71. I had back spasms the final round starting on the third hole and played one-legged with the Gary Player step-through swing. :-(

Tournament was a blast. Greens running 13 to 14. Just absurdly fast, but so fun.

Where? Those are some fast greens!

I just traded my beloved Apex Raw blades for some CBs. Can't score to my best with blades, even though I love to play them. Going to take a playing lesson with Monte to get his thoughts on getting tournament ready. I have worked really hard on my swing, short game and putting for past few years. Next summer is when the regional sr/super sr tournaments are. I have been in various men's clubs over the years, but not sure I will next year - I never found them to be compelling or to create much drama. But I need to do something where I am in competition that I take seriously before the major tournaments I want to play in.

I am open to suggestions....
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    TM P790 4-AW
    Fourteen mt28v3 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

Obee wrote:

I just traded my beloved Apex Raw blades for some CBs. Can't score to my best with blades, even though I love to play them. Going to take a playing lesson with Monte to get his thoughts on getting tournament ready. I have worked really hard on my swing, short game and putting for past few years. Next summer is when the regional sr/super sr tournaments are. I have been in various men's clubs over the years, but not sure I will next year - I never found them to be compelling or to create much drama. But I need to do something where I am in competition that I take seriously before the major tournaments I want to play in.

Sandpiper in Goleta, CA (just north of Santa Barbara).
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW

Obee wrote:

See if you can link up with locals that also play in the same tournaments? Play some money matches

I don't know if this still applies but playing JR/College/Amateur, after a tournament round if someone was local and I felt like we got along, id exchange contacts (much easier now with instagram and facebook). But if you play a lot of tournaments, you tend to see the same faces anyways so why not play against each other in between tournaments. Also helps if you guys end up for qualifying for bigger stuff that's out of the area, can split hotel and travel costs

Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
    Obee wrote:

Several holes when the greens get fast can be dicey. Where’d they put the pins on 11?
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers Posts: 8,566 ✭✭

Obee wrote:

I played also and scored okay, but that round was crazy. Congrats!
    b.helts wrote:

Obee wrote:

Several holes when the greens get fast can be dicey. Where'd they put the pins on 11?

First day was back-middle. 2nd day was back-left.
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,136 ClubWRX
    I played my absolute best this year... said I was going to play in all these tournaments..... wound up not playing in any of them. LOL

Maybe next year..
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X<br />Taylormade M1 (2017) 3 wood w/Aldila Tour Blue 75x<br />Mizuno MP18 flihi 3 iron <br />Mizuno MP18 SC 4-pw KBS Tour<br />Taylormade High Toe 52/58 wedges <br />Scotty Cameron 5.5m
  • exgolfproexgolfpro Advanced Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Good idea for a thread, but our season is over until April/May. But like last year, I plan on playing in the Missouri MidAm and hopefully US Senior Open qualifying. It is tough for me because I have very little vacation time left by the time these roll around, but those are my hopes.
  • burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast Advanced Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
    played in my first 2 tournaments this year and had a blast. learned a lot and as a result have never played better. goal is to eventually start playing in the gross flights as i currently down around a 10 index
    Obee wrote:

b.helts wrote:

Obee wrote:

Several holes when the greens get fast can be dicey. Where'd they put the pins on 11?

First day was back-middle. 2nd day was back-left.

Good! Smart. The only flattish part of that green.

I’d like to have played. Maybe next year.
  • MoaningMMoaningM Advanced Members Posts: 1,346

Cool thread. I’m also Scottish and have played the amateur scene the last few years here with no great success. The best I did was reaching the third round of the Scottish amateur back in 2014. I’ve not played much Scottish stuff the last year or so, funnily enough I’ve played more down south. Last year I played scratch 36 hole opens at Formby, Southport and Ainsdale, Hillside and Royal Birkdale. All for a combined cost of about £200. This year I played the South East of England Links Championship which is 72 holes played over Royal St George’s and Royal Cinque Ports. The highlight of my year was shooting 74 at Royal St George’s off the Open tees. That’s one **** of a golf course.

I love going away playing in these sort of things as you get to play great golf courses in tournament conditions for a fraction of the normal price! Last year I got 3 rounds at Royal Dornoch for £40 and in 2015 I got 4 at Cruden Bay for £45. Both were in 72 hole opens.

Next year I’m eyeing up the Walton Heath Trophy. Apart from that I’ll wait and see where the big Scottish events are and if they are at courses that appeal to me I’ll enter

I Played Hillside and royal St Georges, Cinque Ports, both fabulous events even though I played utter rubbish! Also played wallasey scratch and caldy quart couple of other really good events, but one I definately recommend is the St Georges Hill silver trophy! Great event, great venue great everything!
    edited December 2018
    Just played in an SCGA event, the "Stableford Team Championship." Partner and I finished 2nd by one point. ONE POINT! Format was aggregate Stableford Points:

-3 Double-Bogey

-1 Bogey

0 Par

+2 Birdie

+5 Eagle

+8 Double-Eagle

I have developed a completely new move by necessity (back spasms that can send me to the ground). I use the "Gary Player Walk Through" technique, and it's been amazing. I'm hitting the ball even shorter than ever (8-iron is my 130 club. Driver carrying 210 - 215), but I'm scoring fine. I shot 76 on day 1 and had a "pretty amazing all things considered" 1-under 71 on day 2.

I hit 25/28 fairways "stepping through." The step through swing actually addresses one of my main swing flaws, which is a tendency to "hang back" and either block or flip. I will put up some video of the swing soon. Putted "meh" on day one, but absolutely great on day two.

My partner shot one of the most inconceivable 69's on day one you will ever see. He's a former college player, but he gets really nervous in tournaments now. He hit 7 GIR and the only one of the missed green was even close to the green. He was missing greens by 10 - 40 yards, topping tee shots, pull-hooking approaches. And then he'd step up to a pitch shot and stick it to a foot. Amazing. On day two, though, his ball striking caught up to him and he fired a 77.

In the final round, he stuffed a PW from 145 to six inches for birdie, but I couldn't convert my up-and-down to save par, and that was the difference. Course was only 6,512, 72.4/133, so I was able to bunt it around and play well. If the course was 7,000, I would have no chance to shoot par or better.

Some really, really solid players in the field, including the champions Corby Segal (one of the best mid-ams in the country) and his partner Torey Edwards (five? years as a pro, carries driver 320), Casey Boyns, Pat Burda and several others. Also of note: Dan Buchner, a 16-year professional who got his amateur status back a year ago, shot 72 on day one, then fired a beautiful 8-under 64 on day two with 7 birdies and an eagle. His only bogey was a 3-putt from 4-feet on a very suspect side-hill pin. Wow.

One point. ONE POINT!!! Still have yet to win an SCGA Event, but will keep trying! :-)

Results here: https://scga-2018scg...m/pages/1283796
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole Florida golfer Advanced Members Posts: 339 ✭✭
    Obee wrote:

I have developed a completely new move by necessity (back spasms that can send me to the ground). I use the "Gary Player Walk Through" technique, and it's been amazing. I'm hitting the ball even shorter than ever (8-iron is my 130 club. Driver carrying 210 - 215), but I'm scoring fine. I shot 76 on day 1 and had a "pretty amazing all things considered" 1-under 71 on day 2.

Sorry to hear about your back but glad to see you've found a workaround.

Obee wrote:

Also of note: Dan Buchner, a 16-year professional who got his amateur status back a year ago, shot 72 on day one, then fired a beautiful 8-under 64 on day two with 7 birdies and an eagle.

16-year pro who got his amateur status back? I am not a fan of whoever ok'd that decision.
    edited December 2018
    OffTheDole wrote:

Obee wrote:

Sorry to hear about your back but glad to see you've found a workaround.

Obee wrote:

Also of note: Dan Buchner, a 16-year professional who got his amateur status back a year ago, shot 72 on day one, then fired a beautiful 8-under 64 on day two with 7 birdies and an eagle.

16-year pro who got his amateur status back? I am not a fan of whoever ok'd that decision.

I believe the rule for regaining amateur status was changed a few years ago.

A lot of the top Mid-ams, seniors and super seniors playing these days were former pros. Not unusual
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
    Good Job Obee! sounds like the game is coming in nicely. Ready for the 2019 season!

Are the back spasms an on going thing? Is there anything that you are doing to help with it?

Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Advanced Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Plan is to play 10 USGA/NCGA gross events in 2019 Two of them will be fourballs.

Was an alternate in 2013 USGA Mid Am and have been lazy ever since getting back to non club tournie golf.

Once schedule is final I will post it.
    edited December 2018

Plan is to play 10 USGA/NCGA gross events in 2019 Two of them will be fourballs.

Was an alternate in 2013 USGA Mid Am and have been lazy ever since getting back to non club tournie golf.

Nice, I may/hope to see you around. Where in the Bay are you?

I haven't done anything significant since 2011-2012 (basically quit after that). I have goals for the offseason to meet before I consider entering USGA/NCGA stuff again. I may get my feet wet again and play some of the local city tournaments (I can't break even or consistently shoot even at my home course yet. That's the goal for now. Monarch Bay is my "home" course)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
    Bucky (Dan Buchner) and I went to college together (UCSB). Good dude, good player.

Sounds like a fun tournament. What course?
    b.helts wrote:

Bucky (Dan Buchner) and I went to college together (UCSB). Good dude, good player.

Sounds like a fun tournament. What course?

La Quinta resort. Dunes course. Great green complexes. Lots of fun.
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
  • J295J295 Members Posts: 32
    New to the forum in the last couple of months, and just found this thread. Very cool.

I’m not disparaging myself, but I’m nowhere near the level of play of many if not nearly all of you of you participating in this thread. I’ve played non-tournament rounds with high level tournament players and there is a great gulf between their game and mine. That’s just the way it is right now. I am a 59-year-old with a six handicap, trying to get better.

My “year” for goal setting runs from November 1 – October 31, and I did set one of my process goals as playing 20 tourament rounds. Tournament for me is loosely defined, because in this mid western cold weather state there aren’t a ton of opportunities, so I include our interclub matches, Senior two-man events, etc.

When spring gets here I will check in with my participation. Really appreciate those of you with your enthusiasm and insights sharing with those of us on the same journey, albeit from different starting points.

• Ray JacksonRay Jackson Advanced Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    vietnameeh wrote:

I haven't done anything significant since 2011-2012 (basically quit after that). I have goals for the offseason to meet before I consider entering USGA/NCGA stuff again. I may get my feet wet again and play some of the local city tournaments (I can't break even or consistently shoot even at my home course yet. That's the goal for now. Monarch Bay is my "home" course)

Live in Marin, play Marin Country Club mainly and work downtown SF. Have a 10yr old son who just shot 77 off the forward tees last Saturday so he's my excuse to get to the course/range a lot right now.

I've entered the City Championship in Feb and hoping to not have to do pre qual round at Lincoln.

vietnameeh wrote:

Live in Marin, play Marin Country Club mainly and work downtown SF. Have a 10yr old son who just shot 77 off the forward tees last Saturday so he's my excuse to get to the course/range a lot right now.

I've entered the City Championship in Feb and hoping to not have to do pre qual round at Lincoln.

You don’t want to play Lincoln park at 6am In February ? Lol jk I did that one year , and I lost a few drives due to plugging
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame Advanced Members Posts: 2,605 ✭✭

vietnameeh wrote:

That's good playing. A good friend of mine's used to be an assistant pro at Marin CC, spoke highly of the club.
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    Titleist 917F2 15* & 18* Diamana D+ 80 x-stiff
    816H1 21 & 25 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    718 AP2 5-PW Modus 130 stiff
    SM4 52* & 58*
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"