WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Comments

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,725 ClubWRX

@drvrwdge said:
    Sooo got off to a good start but need to bring it home tomorrow....

Very nice and good luck tomorrow!

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Welp, **** the bed today but proud off the way I fought. Played my final 12 holes +1 after a super rough start. Live and learn.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura EVO IV 661x 
    Ping G400 14.5 Fujikura EVO IV 757x 
    Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    Ping iBlade DG TI X-100 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 DG TI S400
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 1:13am #754

Heck yea @drvrwdge !!! Go get it!!!

Edit - got here late. My bad man.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• Ty_WebbTy_Webb New YorkMembers Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@drvrwdge said:
    Welp, **** the bed today but proud off the way I fought. Played my final 12 holes +1 after a super rough start. Live and learn.

How on earth do you wind up with $0 winnings when there's a low round out of the money prize? Doesn't your 66 get you anything? Well, besides some serious bragging rights!

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
    Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
    Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
    Titleist 714CB 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ty_Webb said:

@drvrwdge said:

How on earth do you wind up with $0 winnings when there's a low round out of the money prize? Doesn't your 66 get you anything? Well, besides some serious bragging rights!

Ha! I got low net actually, the payout column isn’t accurate. So not a total waster, plus two CTP’s

Ping G410 LST Fujikura EVO IV 661x 
    Ping G400 14.5 Fujikura EVO IV 757x 
    Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    Ping iBlade DG TI X-100 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 DG TI S400
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19
  • buzzthecatbuzzthecat OHMembers Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 1:13pm #757

I'm playing in a Mid-Am qualifier in a few days. Unfortunately I was unable to get in a practice round. The course has a nice profile on bluegolf.com so I was going to go through it and make a few notes. What do you think are the most important things to look for? Right now I'm going to jot down a "recommended" club for each par 4/5 and make note of any hazards. I want to know a little going in but also don't want to over-analyze.

@buzzthecat said:
    I'm playing in a Mid-Am qualifier in a few days. Unfortunately I was unable to get in a practice round. The course has a nice profile on bluegolf.com so I was going to go through it and make a few notes. What do you think are the most important things to look for? Right now I'm going to jot down a "recommended" club for each par 4/5 and make note of any hazards. I want to know a little going in but also don't want to over-analyze.

I look for carry distances over bunkers, distances between trouble on each side of the fairway. Anything troubling like a fairway that narrows drastically. If there's enough info out there I'll also try to figure out lines I want to take off tees. For example, if it's a dogleg with bunkers on the inside, I'll check carries over each bunker and run outs on those lines, then figure out what's the ideal line for the hole.

I will say I do a lot of this stuff on google maps, then get out there and it's uphill or downhill or windy and it blows it all apart, but I think it's still useful. I also tend to assume I should be hitting driver unless there's a good reason not to. Then work from there. Mostly I base that on DECADE stuff, so if there's 65 yards between penalty hazards, then it's probably driver, unless it's a short hole or 3 wood lays up to a cross bunker that makes the fairway narrow. I'll also take a look at layup areas on par 5s and see if there are spots I should be hitting to in that situation. I basically don't want to walk onto a tee and be surprised or have no idea what I'm doing.

Titleist 714CB 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,609 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@buzzthecat said:

Not in SC are you ? If so PM me.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

@bladehunter said:

@buzzthecat said:

Nope, Ohio. Good luck to you if you're playing one soon.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,609 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@buzzthecat said:

@bladehunter said:

@buzzthecat said:

Nope, Ohio. Good luck to you if you're playing one soon.

Thanks boss. I am. Was going to give you the low down if you were in same as me. I know this course well and it’s all out in front of you.

Good luck to you too !

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

Played in the Trump Invitational today with top amateurs in the nj/NY/CT area with a bunch of D1 golfers (top 40 or so). Shot 69 (-3) in the am and then crumbled in the afternoon not realizing it was an aggregate scoring over 2 rounds (second round they paired the top 22 ams with charity 3 somes, playing handicapped best ball)...and shot 77 (+5). Sigh. Highlights were 2 eagles, and meeting John Daly and Mr. President himself.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• mmack067mmack067 OttawaMembers Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 events in the last couple of weeks. Went 76 (one mental mistake, 1 poor swing), 71, 72 in the first one on a course that I'm not comfortable on at all for a T5. This weekend it was 3 straight 71s (-3) to win in pretty tough conditions with a lot of wind and 3 weather delays on the first day. Could have been lower the last day but just needed to get it in the house without making a 10 so I hit iron off the last 3 tees including 2 par 5s.

Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    Titleist TS2 15* - Whiteboard 70X
    Titleist 910H 17˚ -  Project X 7.0
    Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S
    TM Milled Grind 58 SB
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  

• Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gioguy21 said:
    Played in the Trump Invitational today with top amateurs in the nj/NY/CT area with a bunch of D1 golfers (top 40 or so). Shot 69 (-3) in the am and then crumbled in the afternoon not realizing it was an aggregate scoring over 2 rounds (second round they paired the top 22 ams with charity 3 somes, playing handicapped best ball)...and shot 77 (+5). Sigh. Highlights were 2 eagles, and meeting John Daly and Mr. President himself.

That's awesome. Did you get any pics?

• Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mmack067 said:
    2 events in the last couple of weeks. Went 76 (one mental mistake, 1 poor swing), 71, 72 in the first one on a course that I'm not comfortable on at all for a T5. This weekend it was 3 straight 71s (-3) to win in pretty tough conditions with a lot of wind and 3 weather delays on the first day. Could have been lower the last day but just needed to get it in the house without making a 10 so I hit iron off the last 3 tees including 2 par 5s.

Congrats, great playing. What events were these?

• mmack067mmack067 OttawaMembers Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ray Jackson said:

@mmack067 said:

Congrats, great playing. What events were these?

First one was the Kawartha Invitational (the course lost all 18 greens over the winter so putting was terribly random this year) and the second was our club championship.

Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    Titleist TS2 15* - Whiteboard 70X
    Titleist 910H 17˚ -  Project X 7.0
    Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S
    TM Milled Grind 58 SB
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  

@Buckets2 said:

@gioguy21 said:

That's awesome. Did you get any pics?

we were not allowed to take pics of the clubhouse or grounds - and didn't get pics with Daly or the man himself. i got to take a pic of the leaderboard after the morning and afternoon.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

edited Aug 14, 2019 12:49pm #768

@Buckets2 no pics of the clubhouse or the course, none of the man or Daly. just one or two of the scoreboards after round 1 and 2.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

@Celebros said:
    I posted my first round club championship travails earlier in the thread, but just wanted to update that... I won! The thing! The whole thing!

First competitive golf in 15 years - won my first round 2-up after being 3-down after five holes. Second round was against the... 6 time?... club champion who was a college golfer. Won on the 19th hole. In the finals I shot 72 to get me to extra holes (match play), winning on the 19th. Honestly, every match I was playing against someone who was by all objective measures, a better golfer than I am, but the magic of match play plus some adrenaline carried me through.

As a ~4 handicap, shooting 72 in the finals on a tipped-out course against a scratch player definitely takes the cake as the best golfing experience I've had. The match was never more than 1-up in either direction, so tense throughout. Have that competitive bug back!

congrats!!!!

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gioguy21 said:
    @Buckets2 no pics of the clubhouse or the course, none of the man or Daly. just one or two of the scoreboards after round 1 and 2.

Tie for 7th? With a 69 to start off? Good golf! What happened on day 2 seems like the scores were way higher for everyone?

@Celebros said:
    I posted my first round club championship travails earlier in the thread, but just wanted to update that... I won! The thing! The whole thing!

First competitive golf in 15 years - won my first round 2-up after being 3-down after five holes. Second round was against the... 6 time?... club champion who was a college golfer. Won on the 19th hole. In the finals I shot 72 to get me to extra holes (match play), winning on the 19th. Honestly, every match I was playing against someone who was by all objective measures, a better golfer than I am, but the magic of match play plus some adrenaline carried me through.

As a ~4 handicap, shooting 72 in the finals on a tipped-out course against a scratch player definitely takes the cake as the best golfing experience I've had. The match was never more than 1-up in either direction, so tense throughout. Have that competitive bug back!

Congrats!

@JAMH03 said:

@gioguy21 said:

Tie for 7th? With a 69 to start off? Good golf! What happened on day 2 seems like the scores were way higher for everyone?

it was a 1 day, 2 course, 36 hole tournament -- the first round was for the top 22 or so low amateurs; who then got paired up with charity 3-somes for an afternoon 4-man best ball tournament.

i was unaware through the first 3 holes in the second round that the scores for BOTH rounds were going to count towards awards at the end of the day...so, i went bogey, triple on the first two holes...

smh. i wish i knew b/c i would've played those holes differently - in essence i went for it since my partners were in terrible spots.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

@gioguy21 said:

@JAMH03 said:

@gioguy21 said:

it was a 1 day, 2 course, 36 hole tournament -- the first round was for the top 22 or so low amateurs; who then got paired up with charity 3-somes for an afternoon 4-man best ball tournament.

i was unaware through the first 3 holes in the second round that the scores for BOTH rounds were going to count towards awards at the end of the day...so, i went bogey, triple on the first two holes...

smh. i wish i knew b/c i would've played those holes differently - in essence i went for it since my partners were in terrible spots.

Meh sounds like a slightly cheesey format, tweak but you played really well.

Good going. Nice to know you're in good form. I imagine being in form makes some mistakes easier to deal with and makes things look better as far as prepping for other events and challenging yourself too?

@gioguy21 I'd be really curious HOW you got into such a good form and mindset has it been a lifetime or something over the last 5 years? 2 years or are you doing things differently in 2019?

How have you been practicing and or preparing?

@JAMH03 said:

@gioguy21 said:

@JAMH03 said:

@gioguy21 said:

Meh sounds like a slightly cheesey format, tweak but you played really well.

Good going. Nice to know you're in good form. I imagine being in form makes some mistakes easier to deal with and makes things look better as far as prepping for other events and challenging yourself too?

@gioguy21 I'd be really curious HOW you got into such a good form and mindset has it been a lifetime or something over the last 5 years? 2 years or are you doing things differently in 2019?

How have you been practicing and or preparing?

I played since I was 6 but really only played competitive golf the last 4 years. My first foray into competition was the us open qual 4 years ago lol

I play 3-4x a week. I watch videos of my swing every other week, I practice short game and putting before every round, and in the winter I'm either in the gym (doesn't show it tho) or in the sim or on the range.

Been scratch or better the last 3 years - continously getting a bit better here and there.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,725 ClubWRX

@Celebros said:

Outstanding! That's how you play tournament golf.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
    edited Aug 15, 2019 1:05pm #777

Played my USGA Mid-Am qualifier yesterday. It was my first time in this event. I shot 76 (+4). -3, -2, and -1 made it through (4 spots and 2 alternates). I had a pretty nice round going until 17 when my tee-shot hit a cartpath twice and bounced into the woods. A drop, punch out, and a few too many shots later I came out with a triple.

Lessons learned....I only hit 8 GIR. I was putting well too and just didn't give myself enough opportunities. Several missed greens from the middle of the fairway with a short iron. On to the next one!

p.s. Carts and cartpaths are an abomination and have no place on a golf course.

• ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,804 ClubWRX

Wow!!! So fantastic! Well Done!!!

What did posting that finals score do to you handicap??? LOL!!!

@Celebros said:

PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)

Yep. Like you said: On to the next one! :-)

My U.S. Mid-Am qual if Monday....

@buzzthecat said:
    Played my USGA Mid-Am qualifier yesterday. It was my first time in this event. I shot 76 (+4). -3, -2, and -1 made it through (4 spots and 2 alternates). I had a pretty nice round going until 17 when my tee-shot hit a cartpath twice and bounced into the woods. A drop, punch out, and a few too many shots later I came out with a triple.

Lessons learned....I only hit 8 GIR. I was putting well too and just didn't give myself enough opportunities. Several missed greens from the middle of the fairway with a short iron. On to the next one!

Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW

@Obee said:
    Yep. Like you said: On to the next one! :-)

My U.S. Mid-Am qual if Monday....

@buzzthecat said:

Do you know the course it's at? Does it suit you?

Titleist 714CB 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

It's my home course. Not especially — especially against a top field. I would much prefer tight and quirky. Bear Creek is long and tough for a short-hitting 52 year old.

7,038, 74.7/143 is what USGA has it listed at for the qualifier.

72 or 73 will make it, I believe.

Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file