Did Charles Howell iii leave PXG?

Comments

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭
    Greg Norman, Michelle Wie, Lydia Ko, to name three.
    Cobra F8+ 10.5*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 S

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Cobra F7 5-GW, R flex steel
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Zing 2 TR 34"

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,064 ✭✭
    rgk5 wrote:

Wie tinkers too much with her swing and ko let her dad get in her head about getting flatter and interfered to many times during lessons. Her fall off had nothing to do with leabetter ather her desire to gain distance and not being able to tell parents no
  • The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Posts: 1,036 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Anser wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Anser wrote:

I have to ask, why would anyone care? He's invisible.

This is a fanatical golf site. We care about everything and everyone.

You guys need to go outside image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

No, too scary outside. Better to just talk about CH III on the computer and nuke up some

large_5d21b7ba-62a8-42c3-bd20-3bab0ff62e48.JPG

I'm a little shocked that those puppies are only 340 calories a pop.
    915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
    Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º C-Taper
    Mizzy S18 60-06º Blue Ion
    Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

rgk5 wrote:

Wie tinkers too much with her swing and ko let her dad get in her head about getting flatter and interfered to many times during lessons. Her fall off had nothing to do with leabetter ather her desire to gain distance and not being able to tell parents no

Regardless, all were world class BEFORE going to Leadbetter. Since then?
    Cobra F8+ 10.5*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 S

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Cobra F7 5-GW, R flex steel
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Zing 2 TR 34"

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,099 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #66

bscinstnct wrote:

Anser wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Anser wrote:

I have to ask, why would anyone care? He's invisible.

This is a fanatical golf site. We care about everything and everyone.

You guys need to go outside image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

No, too scary outside. Better to just talk about CH III on the computer and nuke up some

large_5d21b7ba-62a8-42c3-bd20-3bab0ff62e48.JPG

I'm a little shocked that those puppies are only 340 calories a pop.

Good for bulking

1. Deadlifts

2. Hot Pockets

3. Golfwrx

rgk5 wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

rgk5 wrote:

Regardless, all were world class BEFORE going to Leadbetter. Since then?

And Lydia won under leadbetter ave wasn’t until dad got too involved and she lost her swing as a result. Wie didn’t really win much before leadbetter
  • geno4952geno4952 Posts: 120 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

jmck wrote:

I'll put my nickel on CBs with a T-MB long iron or two.

Always love seeing what CHIII is playing. Dude is such a gearhead.

If he plays CBs he will be one of the only tour players doing so. Sometimes I wonder why titleist still makes them when they aren't a big seller to the public abd have minimal tour use.

Not necessarily true... here are just a few of the top players and recent winners WITB............

Kyle Stanley Titleist 718 CB 4&5.... Nike pro combo 6-PW

John Rahm (4): TaylorMade RSi UDI; (4-PW): TaylorMade P750

Billy Horschel (3, 5-PW): PXG 0311T Gen2... hollow body.. not a true blade

Patrick Cantlay (4-PW): Titleist 718 AP2

Jordan Spieth (4-PW): Titleist 718 AP2

Cameron Champ Ping iBlade (4-PW) (not a true blade)

Xander Schauffele Callaway Forged Prototype (4-PW)

Brooks Koepka JPX-900 Tour (4-PW)

Marc Leishman Callaway X-Forged 2018

Bryson DeChambeau Cobra King One Length Utility (4 and 5 iron), Cobra King One Length (6-PW)

none of which are blades... even the PXG which looks like a blade is hollow perimeter weighted and foam filled,,, so it seems like more forgiving irons are popular on tour as well as with us hackers...remember.. those guys can and do play the irons that they believe are the best for their games. Just a bit of FYI.... not meant to criticize in any way.....
    Now Playing.... backup bag No.2

TM R7 10.5* driver
    TM 200 series 3 wood
    Callaway Heaven Wood
    1987 Ping Eye 2 Black dot 3-PW
    Ping Eye 2 sw
    Ping Eye 2 lw
    Ping Kushin putter ...(changes often)

Peace
  • jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,277 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2018 #69
    I think he meant that not many Titleist staffers choose to play the CB model. They tend to gravitate towards either the MBs or the AP2s.

ETA: One thing I like about Titleist is they seem more okay than most when it comes to staffers playing older clubs. E.g., Spieth just went back to 915 woods this week and there are still a few big names playing 680s.
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX Posts: 624 ClubWRX
    I might die if Charlie comes out with some 680 MB’s and a few SM4s

I might die if Charlie comes out with some 680 MB's and a few SM4s

lol. I wonder if he has a set of these in the garage. Lots of staffers used to play these beauties. Maybe CHIII can bring them back!

28326a-titleist-dci-990-iron-set-3-p-steel-dynamic-gold-s300-stiff-flex-28326a-4.jpeg
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    jmck wrote:

I think he meant that not many Titleist staffers choose to play the CB model. They tend to gravitate towards either the MBs or the AP2s.

ETA: One thing I like about Titleist is they seem more okay than most when it comes to staffers playing older clubs. E.g., Spieth just went back to 915 woods this week and there are still a few big names playing 680s.

This was actually what I was going to say after reading that post. I'm not sure I have ever seen anybody playing a full set of CBs though have seen some combo sets at the Am level. Most seem to be confident enough to just go full MB or move to something like the AP2 or T-MB these days though.

It has always amazed me how many of the bigger name Titleist staffers seem to play older stuff. Granted, they seem happy to let them do it so long as you have the newest head covers on the woods regardless of what you are actually playing. Maybe that's some of the lower pay for their staffers, but I certainly don't know that for sure.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
    jmck wrote:

Being the analytical a** I can be I decided to do a bit of research..... of the top 222 players in the OWGR 147 of them play Titleist equipment of some type (mostly balls) and of them 41 play Titleist irons... of the 41 playing titleist irons 15 play blades (36.5%) the rest play perimeter weighted irons of some type... sorry it is just my OCD taking over and I can't resist knowing what is going on out there.... so be it as it may these are the results of my 45 minutes **** around on Titleist's website... thanks for reading my crazy post but , hey, it is what it is..... Peace

TM R7 10.5* driver
    TM 200 series 3 wood
    Callaway Heaven Wood
    Ping Eye 2 sw
    Ping Eye 2 lw

Peace
    geno4952 wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

jmck wrote:

I'll put my nickel on CBs with a T-MB long iron or two.

Always love seeing what CHIII is playing. Dude is such a gearhead.

If he plays CBs he will be one of the only tour players doing so. Sometimes I wonder why titleist still makes them when they aren't a big seller to the public abd have minimal tour use.

Not necessarily true... here are just a few of the top players and recent winners WITB............

Kyle Stanley Titleist 718 CB 4&5.... Nike pro combo 6-PW

John Rahm (4): TaylorMade RSi UDI; (4-PW): TaylorMade P750

Billy Horschel (3, 5-PW): PXG 0311T Gen2... hollow body.. not a true blade

Patrick Cantlay (4-PW): Titleist 718 AP2

Jordan Spieth (4-PW): Titleist 718 AP2

Cameron Champ Ping iBlade (4-PW) (not a true blade)

Xander Schauffele Callaway Forged Prototype (4-PW)

Brooks Koepka JPX-900 Tour (4-PW)

Marc Leishman Callaway X-Forged 2018

Bryson DeChambeau Cobra King One Length Utility (4 and 5 iron), Cobra King One Length (6-PW)

none of which are blades... even the PXG which looks like a blade is hollow perimeter weighted and foam filled,,, so it seems like more forgiving irons are popular on tour as well as with us hackers...remember.. those guys can and do play the irons that they believe are the best for their games. Just a bit of FYI.... not meant to criticize in any way.....

Thanks for the if but the conversation about CB was referring specifically to the titleist CB irons and not the style of iron. Which as you see in your examples titleist staffers rarely play that lineup
    geno4952 wrote:

jmck wrote:

Being the analytical a** I can be I decided to do a bit of research..... of the top 222 players in the OWGR 147 of them play Titleist equipment of some type (mostly balls) and of them 41 play Titleist irons... of the 41 playing titleist irons 15 play blades (36.5%) the rest play perimeter weighted irons of some type... sorry it is just my OCD taking over and I can't resist knowing what is going on out there.... so be it as it may these are the results of my 45 minutes **** around on Titleist's website... thanks for reading my crazy post but , hey, it is what it is..... Peace

While you were doing all that did you happen to add up how many staffers each play the T-mb and the CB and the AP1/2/3s?
    jmck wrote:

geno4952 wrote:

jmck wrote:

While you were doing all that did you happen to add up how many staffers each play the T-mb and the CB and the AP1/2/3s?

not exactly but of the 15 playing blades most of them were the T-MBs with a few exceptions and of the other 26 many of them play the AP 2 &3 but that is still a perimeter weighted iron not a true mb blade... if you want exact numbers the info is all available on Titleist's website. Look up the tour players and the ones that are Brand Ambassadors play the equipment as well as the balls........ Peace

TM R7 10.5* driver
    TM 200 series 3 wood
    Callaway Heaven Wood
    Ping Eye 2 sw
    Ping Eye 2 lw

Peace
  • sllabflogsllabflog slamsauce Members Posts: 39
    Love CH3 and love Titleist. Hate PXG. Big win for me.. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Do we have a WITB yet?
    jmck wrote:

Do we have a WITB yet?

Jonathan wall posted on Twitter last night.
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    tbowles411 wrote:

Chuck The Sticks is a club ho. He switches when something is better for him and makes no apologies for it. He's not beholden to anyone. So if he switched, it wouldn't be shocking.

He is a golf wrx-er club ho, but really, really good.
    GoGoErky wrote:

jmck wrote:

Do we have a WITB yet?

Ah, thanks for that. No word on shafts. Here's from that tweet. He's gone with a combo set of AP2s and CBs, lol. Such a gear head, always throwing us a curveball.

TS3 (10.5) driver / TS2 (15, 21) / 718 T-MB 4-iron / 718 AP2 (5-7) / 718 CB (8-PW) / Vokey Design SM7 (52, 56, 60). Using Pro V1 proto for first time this week.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,007 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

jmck wrote:

Do we have a WITB yet?

Any

Any idea what he posted ? lol
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • BenSeattleBenSeattle Posts: 531 ✭✭

tbowles411 wrote:

dbleag wrote:

Turned pro and signed with Callaway and was never the "winner" we hope he would be.

David Leadbetter ruined him. Hasn't been the same since.

Ledbetter ruins everyone

I'm hardly a Leadbetter disciple (the "A Swing") but if you were to ask Nick Price, Ernie Else and Nick Faldo about Leadbetter, they might tend to disagree a bit.

While it's true that he's listed on Titleist's Tour page, it's just for the Pro V1 at this point. As far as I know, he's always used the Pro V. I'm going to bet that he uses the AP2/3 irons, with the AP3 3 and 4 irons. Oddly, as one of the world's foremost ball strikers, he seems to gravitate toward GI clubs.

In the very entertaining "Gear Dive" GolfWRX podcast, Charles states that he really wanted to play for Mike Holder at Oklahoma State. Holder told his golfers that "You can play with any clubs you want as long as they're cavity backs. When you AVERAGE 68 shots a round, you are free to switch to blades if you like." Perhaps that explains Howell's affinity for cavity-back clubs. Holder wanted his team of All-Americans to play CB's because he knew that that model would help them play their best.
    sllabflog wrote:

Love CH3 and love Titleist. Hate PXG. Big win for me.. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

That was funny. Why, exactly I'm not quite sure. image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />
  • jjljjl Members Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    jmck wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

jmck wrote:

Do we have a WITB yet?

Ah, thanks for that. No word on shafts. Here's from that tweet. He's gone with a combo set of AP2s and CBs, lol. Such a gear head, always throwing us a curveball.

TS3 (10.5) driver / TS2 (15, 21) / 718 T-MB 4-iron / 718 AP2 (5-7) / 718 CB (8-PW) / Vokey Design SM7 (52, 56, 60). Using Pro V1 proto for first time this week.

Checked Getty Images..he's putting with a red Spider Tour with a standard sized grip.
    Cobra F8 Tour Length
    Ping G410 Hybrid 19*
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW
    TaylorMade HiToe 50, 56, 60*
    TaylorMade Spider X 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B RX
    Titleist Players 4 
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ClubWRX
    BenSeattle wrote:

While it's true that he's listed on Titleist's Tour page, it's just for the Pro V1 at this point. As far as I know, he's always used the Pro V. I'm going to bet that he uses the AP2/3 irons, with the AP3 3 and 4 irons. Oddly, as one of the world's foremost ball strikers, he seems to gravitate toward GI clubs.

In the very entertaining "Gear Dive" GolfWRX podcast, Charles states that he really wanted to play for Mike Holder at Oklahoma State. Holder told his golfers that "You can play with any clubs you want as long as they're cavity backs. When you AVERAGE 68 shots a round, you are free to switch to blades if you like." Perhaps that explains Howell's affinity for cavity-back clubs. Holder wanted his team of All-Americans to play CB's because he knew that that model would help them play their best.

Tell that to the 7 handicappers playing blades on the equipment forum.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • keith723keith723 ClubWRX Posts: 2,044 ClubWRX
    They zoomed in when he hit a mud-ball wedge from 144 and it looked like a Titleist CB PW

He has the golf equipment addiction disease, like most of us around here, so I always like seeing what he has in the bag.
    Titleist TS3 8.5*, PX Evenflow T1100 White 65 6.5
    Callaway Epic 15*, Fubuki K 70-X
    PING G410 Hybrid 19*, PX Evenflow Black 85 6.5
    Callaway Apex Pro 16 (4-PW), KBS Tour-V 120x
    Callaway Apex MB 18 (AW), DG S-300
    Callaway MD4 Raw 54.10 & 60.08, DG S-300
    Taylormade Spider X TP, 35"
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭
    edited Nov 17, 2018 #89
    BenSeattle wrote:

sllabflog wrote:

That was funny. Why, exactly I'm not quite sure. image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />

Wanna throw a **** in the Punch Bowl ??? Start a new Topic called " What Players can't win after switching to PXG ? image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,473 ✭✭
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • iamtylerdurdeniamtylerdurden Posts: 248 ✭✭
    Looks like he has TS head covers on the driver and a red spider at sea island.