Titliest Balata in range bucket OMG

2»

Comments

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,820 ✭✭
    I found a Tour Balata and a couple of Titleist Professional's a few months ago and gave them a hit on the course. They were in a pretty poor condition and I am pretty sure that the winding in them would have loosened off but it was still good fun to hit them particularly wedge shots. The spin was crazy. Drivers were weird but I would put that down to the age of them making it pretty much impossible to do a fair comparison between them and a Pro V1.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,860 ✭✭
    I loooooooooved the old maxfli ht-100 liquid filled balatas

Memories of my university Golf days
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    Now...IF you ever find an old Maxfli Black - preceded the HT-100 by about 10 years +/-...that was a great ball.

Many of them would "explode" in their new packaging, leaving a really weird looking, lop-sided ball.

Not too many of those survived long enough to make it to the range
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • No GimmesNo Gimmes Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I swear to god that I would be a better bunker player if we were still using balata balls. The amount of shots I catch thin is crazy. One bladed bunker shot with a balata and the ball is ruined.

I would either go broke quickly or find a way not to do it.
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,286 ✭✭
    edited Dec 30, 2018 #37
    MattyO1984 wrote:

I found a Tour Balata and a couple of Titleist Professional's a few months ago and gave them a hit on the course. They were in a pretty poor condition and I am pretty sure that the winding in them would have loosened off but it was still good fun to hit them particularly wedge shots. The spin was crazy. Drivers were weird but I would put that down to the age of them making it pretty much impossible to do a fair comparison between them and a Pro V1.

There are ball tests from 2001 out there that show the differences when the balls were new. That difference is nowhere near as large as many would have you believe.

If you compare the PGA Tour driving distance stat from 1999, when the vast majority were playing wound balls, to 2002 (or even 2001), when the vast majority had switched, the increase in distance for players in both seasons was less than six yards.

I find that interesting.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear