Best replacement for a 4 iron

zubby01

I know the odds of someone in an exact similar situation as I am are low, but, thought I would get opinions anyway.

I play X-forged irons 4-PW. I'm having a hard time hitting the 4 iron. It mainly goes low and left. I have 4,3,2 Epic hybrids. I can hit my hybrids OK but, they are just not very accurate - that's why I replaced my 4h w/ a 4i.

I'm about a 6HC and can hit my 4i about 195. Was considering trying a Callaway 4 UT. I can go back to try and work on accuracy with the 4h or try to keep working/ the 4i since it is new.

Thoughts or suggestions on accurate 4 choice?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the odds of someone in an exact similar situation as I am are low, but, thought I would get opinions anyway.

I play X-forged irons 4-PW. I'm having a hard time hitting the 4 iron. It mainly goes low and left. I have 4,3,2 Epic hybrids. I can hit my hybrids OK but, they are just not very accurate - that's why I replaced my 4h w/ a 4i.

I'm about a 6HC and can hit my 4i about 195. Was considering trying a Callaway 4 UT. I can go back to try and work on accuracy with the 4h or try to keep working/ the 4i since it is new.

I am considering putting my 4i out to pasture as well. I went and hit some 7-woods. Good God they are easy to hit HIGH and long.

I switch to a hybrid from time to time. I still like swinging the iron, but the hybrid is definitely much easier to hit.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I always played a 4 iron (and a 3 iron) as I didnt really like hybrids or feel that I needed them. Then a few weeks ago I bought a set of Srixon 355 irons just for craps and giggles but the set only went up to 5 iron so I bought a H45 22 degree hybrid to go with them. The H45 is the best club I've ever hit. It's so consistent and forgiving. The ball flight isn't crazy high and it goes a long way. It was so good I instantly bought the 19 degree. They are now my two banker clubs in my bag. I know you're not looking for a hybrid but neither was I, so if you have access to the H45's you'd be crazy to not give them a try.

Make sure that whatever shaft you use in your 4i replacement club, is not too light and doesn't have a very different bend profile from what you play in your irons. Also make sure the lie angle is not too upright (they tend to be)....otherwise it will add in "left" bias.

Might even consider using the same shaft you use in your irons, if you go with a "driving iron" type of design

Give a small head hybrid a try. Something like the callaway apex or the ping i25... i tried the 7 wood this year, it is really a nice club to play with.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Theres some good suggestions here.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Make sure that whatever shaft you use in your 4i replacement club, is not too light and doesn't have a very different bend profile from what you play in your irons. Also make sure the lie angle is not too upright (they tend to be)....otherwise it will add in "left" bias.

Might even consider using the same shaft you use in your irons, if you go with a "driving iron" type of design

This is good advice. I got an 816 H1 but down to 4 iron length and ensured the swing weight was similar to my four iron. I love flushing a 4 iron, but it doesn't happen as often as I would like so the hybrid helps me score better. I also bent my 5 iron slightly strong to cover the gap as the hybrid is slightly longer.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Maybe the best replacement for your 4-iron is another 4-iron. How about swapping our your X Forged with an Apex CF16 or CF16 Pro? I just got fit for new irons, am getting AP3’s in the 4 and 5 and AP2’s in everything else. It’s crazy how much easier the AP3 long irons are to hit but I don’t want or need them from 6-iron down.

Just a suggestion.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

This is good advice. I got an 816 H1 but down to 4 iron length and ensured the swing weight was similar to my four iron. I love flushing a 4 iron, but it doesn't happen as often as I would like so the hybrid helps me score better. I also bent my 5 iron slightly strong to cover the gap as the hybrid is slightly longer.

Did you go with the 21* or 23* H1 as the 4 iron replacement? I just got a 23* as a 4i (haven't hit it yet). Just now reading a lot of folks going with the 21* to pair with iron sets starting at 5 iron.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Two thoughts:

1. Check the lie angle of the iron. If by chance the lie is too upright, this will cause misses to left.
  2. Consider softstepping the 4i shaft; this will improve launch.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I play Apex Pros 5-PW and a few months back combined them with a rogue pro 4 iron, same shaft. It’s been brilliant. For me it feels easy to hit like a hybrid but way more accurate. The 4 hybrids I tried just went too high and hard to control.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

Buy everything and see what works best

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I am considering putting my 4i out to pasture as well. I went and hit some 7-woods. Good God they are easy to hit HIGH and long.

I just picked up a 7 wood, and it’s much easier to hit than both my 4i and 3h. Both of those are about to get benched.

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

The Callaway UT are great. Easy to launch and flow into your irons. I like my Srixon U for feel a bit better and it also matches my irons. Either are a good choice. Match up the shaft to your irons perhaps the lighter version for swing weight and higher launch.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Titleist 917 7 wood with Diamana blueboard solved my problem. Can count on it to carry a pond ar 200 yards and stick on the green.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Titleist 917 7 wood with Diamana blueboard solved my problem. Can count on it to carry a pond ar 200 yards and stick on the green.
it is amazing how the 7 wood got more popularity lately.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Maybe the best replacement for your 4-iron is another 4-iron. How about swapping our your X Forged with an Apex CF16 or CF16 Pro? I just got fit for new irons, am getting AP3’s in the 4 and 5 and AP2’s in everything else. It’s crazy how much easier the AP3 long irons are to hit but I don’t want or need them from 6-iron down.

Just a suggestion.

Best suggestion so far imo. A well hit 4 iron is an absolute weapon, especially if you play in wind a lot. I'd be looked at a GI or SGI 4 iron to put in the bag instead, like a Rogue Pro for example.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

If you don’t mind switching brands , hit an m4 4 iron. Thing is stupid easy to it. Put the same shaft you have in your irons and order it 1 degree flat. High, long and starting even off the toe. Of course it’s 19 degrees so you would probably have to weaken it 2 degrees or you could get an m4 5 iron and strengthen it 1 - in general if you are looking at SGI or distance irons the lofts will be pretty jacked so you will need to bend them to match your set.

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

I'm slightly confused about the 7 wood recommendation. Unless you have very strong lofted trampoline effect irons I would think that a 9 wood is equivalent to a 4 iron.

I game the Epic 7 wood (21 degrees) and 9 wood (24 degrees). 7 wood is my 215 - 230 club and I can hit it 240 if I really stamp on it. No way I can hit a 4 iron that far.

This 4 iron slot is also giving me fits. 9 wood used to be my favorite club but when I picked up some swing speed my 9 wood started to develop a case of the lefts. It's now the club that I most frequently hook severely and it's costing me strokes because it comes out often on short par 4's and long par 3's. Thinking of an i500 retro loft 4i or the 818 H1 which can be adjusted to have a fade bias. Perhaps the Ping G400 9 wood on the small minus to open the face and flatten the lie angle, but then it's only 23 degrees and may go too far unless I cut down the shaft. The problem is finding demo clubs. 9 wood demo heads are incredibly scarce in Australia and if any fitters stock them then they usually only have senior or ladies flexes in the demo shafts.

For the time being I have completely pulled the 4 iron from the bag. I go 5 iron to 3 Hybrid. I’ve found that I can just choke up about an inch or so on Hybrid and it as far as I would a well struck 4 iron. I don’t have many 4 iron shots each round anyway.

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

An Adams Super 9031 23* hybrid is what I replaced my 4 iron with. I have an s300 shaft in it that matches my irons. Gapping and weight matches up nicely with my Fly Z+ irons. I can't seem to find any club that can knock it out of the bag. I've tried various Driving irons over the years, and keep coming back to this one.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

When his 4 iron is balky he uses a Mizuno fli hi number 4. Works great. It’s a lot easier to hit a serviceable shot with a DI.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3