2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Iron shaft help

TexasHarley

Hey all! Before getting into the possible solutions for my problem here's what I'm currently dealing with:

Driver Swing Speed: 95-97 mph

7-iron Swing Speed: 81-83 mph

Moderate Swing Tempo

Primary Shot Miss (right)

I'm left handed.

All of my irons are equipped with True Temper DG S300's. Now, these shafts were fitted for me when I had a 105+ mph swing. Even then I don't think they were the right shafts for me. I can't get the ball up in the air with the 4-5 irons. The kickpoint on these clubs are really high, and I don't have the swing speed to get the optimal performance out of this shaft.

The 4 carries about 175, and the 5 carries about 170, while my 6 carries about 165 (the loft on my 6 is 32*).

To add more to it, these shafts are heavy to me. I'm thinking of making a purchase to some new technology and getting rid of my blades. Currently looking at gaming 5-PW on the 919 Hotmetal or the 919 Forged. Both will be miles more forgiving than the 20 year old KZG's that I'm playing now. But with my swing speed being where it is, and knowing that I am looking for a lighter weight shaft, can y'all recommend some shafts?

I'm looking for more height on all my irons, but definitely need them on my 4 and 5. Currently my 6-SW are seem to be high enough, however, I don't know if I'm missing out on distance with those as well. The 4 and 5 need to be significantly higher than they currently are. It seems they don't get more than maybe 60-70 feet off the ground, and I'm thinking they need to be to at least 90' in height.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all! Before getting into the possible solutions for my problem here's what I'm currently dealing with:

Moderate Swing Tempo

I'm left handed.

All of my irons are equipped with True Temper DG S300's. Now, these shafts were fitted for me when I had a 105+ mph swing. Even then I don't think they were the right shafts for me. I can't get the ball up in the air with the 4-5 irons. The kickpoint on these clubs are really high, and I don't have the swing speed to get the optimal performance out of this shaft.

The 4 carries about 175, and the 5 carries about 170, while my 6 carries about 165 (the loft on my 6 is 32*).

To add more to it, these shafts are heavy to me. I'm thinking of making a purchase to some new technology and getting rid of my blades. Currently looking at gaming 5-PW on the 919 Hotmetal or the 919 Forged. Both will be miles more forgiving than the 20 year old KZG's that I'm playing now. But with my swing speed being where it is, and knowing that I am looking for a lighter weight shaft, can y'all recommend some shafts?

I'm looking for more height on all my irons, but definitely need them on my 4 and 5. Currently my 6-SW are seem to be high enough, however, I don't know if I'm missing out on distance with those as well. The 4 and 5 need to be significantly higher than they currently are. It seems they don't get more than maybe 60-70 feet off the ground, and I'm thinking they need to be to at least 90' in height.

Project x seemed to solve my issue in almost the same aspect of what your dealing with minus the swing speed and carry. But either way I would try them. People either love them or hate them. I had s300s in the same blades as I do now, but the 4,5,6 I was losing yardage because of the s300 amts that were in them, they would balloon to much in the wind. But a normal s300 was something that I had getting a 4 iron and 5 iron up and playing a fade with them. (I would always draw them and I couldn't stand that I couldn't hold a green then. The project x 6.5 solved the issue for me, I wanted a stiffer shaft, but also lighter for a faster swing speed to get the ball up.

I would honestly check the shafts out, either way get fitted is the best option.

Moderate Swing Tempo

I'm left handed.

Short answer: Get fit.

Longer answer: Presuming you regularly make solid contact with your blades and you are maximizing the biomechanics of your golf swing (coupled with your current speed), the s300's may be too heavy for you - especially in the longer irons. Ironically enough, I went from a set of blades in s300 this year to a set of cavity backs in s300 AMT White. Like you, I swing between 95-100 with the driver and have a moderate tempo. I got the best Trackman numbers with the s300 AMT White shafts during my fitting. I got a higher ball flight with my longer irons, equating to more distance. Translating all of this on the course, I have had no issues with ballooning and I feel the shafts control the trajectory quite well. If you like the s300's but need a little more "giddyup," I'd highly suggest the s300 AMT Whites.

Best of luck.

Moderate Swing Tempo

I'm left handed.

Longer answer: Presuming you regularly make solid contact with your blades and you are maximizing the biomechanics of your golf swing (coupled with your current speed), the s300's may be too heavy for you - especially in the longer irons. Ironically enough, I went from a set of blades in s300 this year to a set of cavity backs in s300 AMT White. Like you, I swing between 95-100 with the driver and have a moderate tempo. I got the best Trackman numbers with the s300 AMT White shafts during my fitting. I got a higher ball flight with my longer irons, equating to more distance. Translating all of this on the course, I have had no issues with ballooning and I feel the shafts control the trajectory quite well. If you like the s300's but need a little more "giddyup," I'd highly suggest the s300 AMT Whites.

Best of luck.

Definitely going to get fitted. Just wanted to do some research as well. I love looking up golf gear and learning about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the AMT whites would be lighter in the long and heavier in the short, right? I tried out the AMT Reds and those are really light compared to mine. One thing I forgot to mention... I play a +1" length shaft. Don't know if that matters or not.

Something lighter with a softish tip, maybe? You also might want to try not hitting down on the longer irons if you do currently. Just a suggestion.

I've actually gotten into a bad habit of trying to elevate them with the wrists because they've been going so low. Last thing I want to form is the habit of wrist flicking.

Hot Metals have Modus 105s in them for stock. Maybe look at those? Personally love that shaft! ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Something lighter with a softish tip, maybe? You also might want to try not hitting down on the longer irons if you do currently. Just a suggestion.

I've actually gotten into a bad habit of trying to elevate them with the wrists because they've been going so low. Last thing I want to form is the habit of wrist flicking.

Oh, ok, disregard what I said then :) Yeah you're right, you don't want to wrist flick

Oh, ok, disregard what I said then :) Yeah you're right, you don't want to wrist flick

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a number of things. Having a low trajectory, low spin shaft combined with my "less than optimal" swing being the two main culprits. Part of me thinks is also paralysis by analysis. Having to really concentrate on my long irons (especially when swinging butter knives) probably does not suit me well. Funny thing... When I'm playing with buddies and we've had a few too many from the cart girl mobile bar I tend to get careless and just walk up to the ball and hit it. Usually, when swinging the long irons I end up with my best shots. No thinking involved. I might be on to something here. Get half-bombed and quit thinking!

Hot Metal or 919 Forged would both be great choices ... so you have a perfect test option in those two clubs. You could do Hot Metals in the longer irons, and Forged in the shorter as well.

I think the three 'must hit' shafts in the 105 to 115 weight range are the Modus 105, C Taper Lite 110, and Project X LZ 5.5 115. I've heard Dynamic Gold 105's are great, but haven't hit them.

Good luck.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

Moderate Swing Tempo

I'm left handed.

Best of luck.

Definitely going to get fitted. Just wanted to do some research as well. I love looking up golf gear and learning about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the AMT whites would be lighter in the long and heavier in the short, right? I tried out the AMT Reds and those are really light compared to mine. One thing I forgot to mention... I play a +1" length shaft. Don't know if that matters or not.

Correct. They get progressively heavier the higher the lofts. However, I will say that a 4i/5i does not feel like a feather compared to a PW, but it's a noticeable difference. What I find incredible is the balance of the lighter weighted shafts (in the longer irons), and the shafts' ability to all retain the same swing weight. I did not try the reds so I can't speak to how light they feel against the Whites or the standard s300, but I will say the Whites feel pretty close to the s300 but feel "easier" to hit in the longer clubs. I think you'll really enjoy them when you try!

My first thought was DGS might be a bit much for 81-83 mph 7 iron. Then, adding the +1", more of the same thought.

Seems like a decent fit for the Ping world to me, lighter shafts and possibly lighter clubheads (stereotype alert!). Don't even have to go new product, or even all that recent in used product; they've got something for everyone.

It's also possible, if you're not hitting the 4i high enough, it might be time for a hybrid?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My first thought was DGS might be a bit much for 81-83 mph 7 iron. Then, adding the +1", more of the same thought.

Seems like a decent fit for the Ping world to me, lighter shafts and possibly lighter clubheads (stereotype alert!). Don't even have to go new product, or even all that recent in used product; they've got something for everyone.

It's also possible, if you're not hitting the 4i high enough, it might be time for a hybrid?

No doubt about the DG S300's. Now, keep in mind, these shafts are 20 years old (I hung 'em up for 10+ years). So I got 20 years older and 50 lbs fatter. Back then I had an upper 80's swing on my 7i.

When I first started playing again (a few months ago) the 7i swing was in the low-mid 70's. I'm getting myself back into playing shape, and I've been dropping quite a bit of weight getting back in shape. But the reality is that I will most likely never hit 90 on the 7i again. Even if I did, I still want to swing a lighter club that has a higher trajectory and more spin. I don't want max spin, but as it sits now, the DG S300's are a low spin shaft even if hit dead nuts.

No doubt about the DG S300's. Now, keep in mind, these shafts are 20 years old (I hung 'em up for 10+ years). So I got 20 years older and 50 lbs fatter. Back then I had an upper 80's swing on my 7i.

When I first started playing again (a few months ago) the 7i swing was in the low-mid 70's. I'm getting myself back into playing shape, and I've been dropping quite a bit of weight getting back in shape. But the reality is that I will most likely never hit 90 on the 7i again. Even if I did, I still want to swing a lighter club that has a higher trajectory and more spin. I don't want max spin, but as it sits now, the DG S300's are a low spin shaft even if hit dead nuts.

If you like the idea of keeping your current irons, you could always go with a reshaft. To what is The Question, of course. KBS Tours would give you a higher trajectory, and they would be lighter in regular flex or R+ that might be a fit. In the Nippon world, aside from the obvious Modus options, there is the 950, 1050, and 1150 family. All lighter, and I believe would give you a higher flight.

If you can do your own clubwork, a reshaft can be an attractive option. If you're paying someone, not so much, at least in terms of cost. At that point, I'd be looking at the used market, see if I could score something with a shaft that fits the criteria.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Way you transition and release club is bigger issue than actual swingspeed....weight is for sure biggest denominator....after that its feel and ballflight...

But yeah no one is gonna be able to really to tell you....hit some shafts, get fit, and gain some knowledge...so you know what you like....

Maybe start with middle of road b4 going to soft tip or stiff tip....if you cant load DGS3OO not so sure about PX....lighter yes, but definitely stiffer

If not gna get fit the stock modus 105 isnt bad place to start...

Like guy above said: I learned how to do my own club work and allows a player to really try alot of options

One thing I wish I did more is shaft one club only instead of whole set....can get exhausting, lol

One thing I wish I did more is shaft one club only instead of whole set....can get exhausting, lol

This is where having a couple single irons outside your main set is useful. Or, in my case, having more sets of irons than you know what to do with, LOL. When I was checking out graphite shafts, I used a couple clubheads from a set I've had lying around.

I don’t know if shaft will solve all the issues.

A bit of that is the by-product or jacked lofts.

Yes, you can smoke a 7-iron 200 yds but it doesn’t always translate to a 250-yd 5-iron.

I always think a good set of irons is s set I can use every club (from 3-iron and down) and the gap is consistent. Now, I am lucky to hit a good consistent 5 or even 6-iron...(way better than a 7-iron)

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

I know golfWRX is the worst possible place to say this, but I really think there’s so much snake-oil in the shaftoid game.

I just picked up a set of Nike VR Forged Pro Combo irons (the resin ones from 2012) for like £150 in mint condition. They’ve got DG x100 in them, completely ‘wrong’ for me. I swing my irons like 88mph.

Fitter said the x100s would make me slower, shorter, with lower trajectory and less spin. Turns out I hit them higher than my Mizuno JPX900, and the only distance drop it from the more traditional loft; which gives me more spin.

My personal conclusion, is that fitting is a lottery. Soft tip, light shaft, high kick, whatever. Shafts are different, sure, but the effect those differences has from player to player are based on so many variables it’s absolutely pointless to try and fit a shaft based on ‘spec’ and theoretical impact conditions.