Ah, Autumn. The beautiful tints of the leaves...

andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
edited Oct 23, 2018 in General Golf Talk #1
What ****' fool left that tree there?

20181023-115607.jpg
Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

Comments

• jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭
    With my luck I'd probably lose a ball in the fallen leaves. At least that's the way it's been going lately.
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    edited Oct 23, 2018 #3
    jimb6golf wrote:

With my luck I'd probably lose a ball in the fallen leaves. At least that's the way it's been going lately.
    I was lucky this time. Found the ball, had enough room for a full swing and ball didn't catch any branches. But the club has introduced a local rule that says if all players in a group agree on the approximate location the shooter can take a penalty free drop. As happens I did an up and down for a bogey. I was happy image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 988 ✭✭
    Trees do not belong on a golf course. If they are there they should be used sparingly and well off the line of play. Booooo trees.
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    smashdn wrote:

Trees do not belong on a golf course. If they are there they should be used sparingly and well off the line of play. Booooo trees.

Yeah I hate how the once-ler was portrayed as a "villian" in the lorax.

• jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭
    andrue wrote:

jimb6golf wrote:

I was lucky this time. Found the ball, had enough room for a full swing and ball didn't catch any branches. But the club has introduced a local rule that says if all players in a group agree on the approximate location the shooter can take a penalty free drop. As happens I did an up and down for a bogey. I was happy image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

It's affectionately called 'Leaf Rule' around here. And it's taken whether the club says so or not to be honest.
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I invoke the leaf rule for my fall rounds. I don't play any officially sanctioned tournaments these days (or even keep an official GHIN). Not going to stress about penalty strokes due to leaf camouflage - I'm actually more concerned with the penalty on my wallet. Using an orange ball has helped, but it's not a perfect solution.
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    smashdn wrote:

We can’t all live in the desert or on the cliffs of Scotland
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭
    chain saw....................midnight op.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
    smashdn wrote:

Oh, leaf it alone image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    andrue wrote:

smashdn wrote:

Oh, leaf it alone image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Good one !
    Chadwickog wrote:

smashdn wrote:

We can't all live in the desert or on the cliffs of Scotland

Chainsaws and gas are cheap and make a world of difference.

I play on a course that cursed itself with Bradford pears to "define" the fairway/corridors. Congrats you now have thin turf in the fairway because the trees are out competing the grass for water and nutrients.

Every tree on the course has a ring of bare dirt and chert rocks for 6' around the base. Not good golf.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 15,051 ✭✭
    Trees belong in the woods
  • bblack_91240bblack_91240 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Nothing is worse than piping a drive on a blind tee shot and not finding it because of leaves!
    WITB
    TaylorMade M3 460 9.5° - Fujikura Speeder Motore TS 7.2X
    TaylorMade M3 3wd 15° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X
    TaylorMade M3 5wd 19° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 Iron (19°) - Matrix Ozik Black Tie HM4 105X (Sans 5wd)
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Nike Engage Wedges
    52° Square
    56° Square
    60° Dual Sole
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Putter 35"
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 322 ✭✭
    I save balls that got beat up good throughout the year just for playing in the fall. Last time out i lost 4 balls due to leaves. "Luckily" i always seem to have a few dozen of those ricochet balls laying around so i should be good for some time.
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,689 ✭✭
    I can think of 4 or 5 courses I play regularly that have a hole with a tree basically in the middle of the fairway. Amazing how often "aim at the tree because you won't hit it" fails. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Fortunately storms have taken down a few of those badly placed trees, serves 'em right....
  • kozubskozubs Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Our course has big blowers that they use to clean the fairway. The problem is, if you miss the fairway there's double the amount of leaves.

This is my favorite time of the season to play but the weather has been abnormally cold. The season started about 3 weeks late and looks to be ending about 1 month early. Sigh.
  • GolfnuckGolfnuck Members Posts: 590 ✭✭
    The staff at my club do a remarkable job of clearing out the leaves (including in the rough).

It is the most picturesque time of the year.

43778458570_0b5110127f_h.jpg

31720249248_541ce9c2f4_h.jpg
    The most noble application for a tree is to be used to cook some BBQ. Turned into a club head if persimmon is the specie of the offending tree in question.
    Gorgeous pictures, Golfnuck. Unfortunately it never distracts from the shorter evenings. I hate the last week of October/First of November most of all. Our clocks went back last weekend so now the daylight seems to fade away just as I'm leaving the office and heading home. By mid-November it's dark by the time I leave so it doesn't seem so painful.

Hopefully we'll have a normal winter this time with no snow and can play all the weekends through.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    andrue wrote:

Gorgeous pictures, Golfnuck. Unfortunately it never distracts from the shorter evenings. I hate the last week of October/First of November most of all. Our clocks went back last weekend so now the daylight seems to fade away just as I'm leaving the office and heading home. By mid-November it's dark by the time I leave so it doesn't seem so painful.

Hopefully we'll have a normal winter this time with no snow and can play all the weekends through.

All true BUT in the summer you are getting 18 hours or more of daylight.
    Golfnuck wrote:

andrue wrote:

Aye, that's true. At least April through September we can get a round in after work. And to be fair the weather normally allows for year round golf if you choose the right clothing.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
  • byrne092byrne092 Members Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Nice picture...at least it looks like they did a good job sucking up most of the loose leaves! Some of the munis around here get pretty lazy and it becomes an Easter egg hunt to find the ball.
  • wcbjrwcbjr Members Posts: 2,789 ✭✭
    smashdn wrote:

Ahem...

hole18.jpg
    Should have burned in Bing Crosby's Clam Bake fires long ago.
  • sleezytsleezyt Members Posts: 367 ✭✭
    Golfnuck wrote:

andrue wrote:

Whats your home course? In vancouver?
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,187 ✭✭
    jdl wrote:

I can think of 4 or 5 courses I play regularly that have a hole with a tree basically in the middle of the fairway. Amazing how often "aim at the tree because you won't hit it" fails. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Fortunately storms have taken down a few of those badly placed trees, serves 'em right....

There's a course I play occasionally that has six holes with trees in the fairway. One is a short par 4 of just over 300 yards, with a big tree slap about 190~200 yards out right in the collection zone of narrow fairway that slopes down right to left. It's a tight hole, and there is a water hazard in the front right of the green, OB left, right, and long, and the green is raised up. It's not a tempting target for a driver. The course pro recommends a layup to 150 yards or so, leaving a second of the same distance image/no2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no2:' />

As it's such a tight hole, it could be quite a good tactical par 4 without the tree.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
    edited Nov 11, 2018 #28

jdl wrote:

There's a course I play occasionally that has six holes with trees in the fairway. One is a short par 4 of just over 300 yards, with a big tree slap about 190~200 yards out right in the collection zone of narrow fairway that slopes down right to left. It's a tight hole, and there is a water hazard in the front right of the green, OB left, right, and long, and the green is raised up. It's not a tempting target for a driver. The course pro recommends a layup to 150 yards or so, leaving a second of the same distance image/no2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no2:' />

As it's such a tight hole, it could be quite a good tactical par 4 without the tree.
    The par 4 18th on another course I play (playing there today), Rye Hill, is similar to that. It doesn't look like the tree is in the middle but the slope on the fairway is enough to carry a ball down to the rough if you're unlucky so you want to aim only just left of it. At ~260 yards from the tee I can't reach it but it can certainly interfere with my second shot. There's a gap on the right which they used to mow as fairway but now it's first cut. In any case as can be seen it's a bit of a 'needle threading' exercise.

It's another of what I'd call an 'ugly' hole and an irritating way to end a round.

Then at another course (actually the sister course to my home) there's this hole. There's just so much wrong about that par 5 starting with how the fairway is cut. Note that at that course even first cut has to be taken seriously. Here's what the approach once looked like for me. If you zoom in you can see the pin tucked in behind the tree. Oh and the hedge must've been scrubbed out when the course was made but they left the ground along that line pretty rough and uneven the entire width.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
  • DeeBee30DeeBee30 Members Posts: 317 ✭✭
    Leaves in the fall and how they seem to suck up golf balls is one of the reasons I wish I could justify joining a private club. Most that I’ve played do a nice job of clearing them out.

So instead, I gravitate more towards prairie or links style courses this time of year.
    sleezyt wrote:

Golfnuck wrote:

andrue wrote:

Whats your home course? In vancouver?

Yes Vancouver. Vancouver Golf Club.
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I golfed Fraserview yesterday and lost 3 balls under leaves.

Sunset at 4:30 is bogus too. At least Vancouver is mild all year. You can golf in rain but not in 100 feet of snow the the East Coast is going to get.
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.