Total Weight Driver

darter79darter79 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
Been researching US Kids vs OEM a lot lately. I know swing weight is way over rated but I'm curious if anyone on here knows their total weight of their drivers and what length they are. Just trying to see if our OEM setup is actually on par with some of what us kids ts3. Please share and for those that have ts3 drivers share that data too.



Her current setup is a Ping G head that weighs 196 shaft/adapter/grip 80 grams total weight = 276.

Comments

  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    M2, Matrix White Tie A flex. 281gm. 40.5 “
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Oct 23, 2018 #3
    darter79 wrote:


    Been researching US Kids vs OEM a lot lately. I know swing weight is way over rated but I'm curious if anyone on here knows their total weight of their drivers and what length they are. Just trying to see if our OEM setup is actually on par with some of what us kids ts3. Please share and for those that have ts3 drivers share that data too.



    Her current setup is a Ping G head that weighs 196 shaft/adapter/grip 80 grams total weight = 276.




    196g is on the high side.



    Cobra Junior Biocell = 191.0g

    Cobra Junior F6 + orange weight = 191.4g



    I believe US Kids TS, as well as Flynn drivers, are both around 190g
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    edited Oct 23, 2018 #4
    If I recall, the OEM's tend to gear towards around 280g total weight. I think I read that in this article: https://thejuniorgol...ver/#tab-con-10



    We've got Cobra BioCell Junior with Cobra 39" shaft. Shaft is 46g. Head is ~190g. Not sure about Cobra Junior grip, but I would guess this club gets to right around that 280g mark.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:
    darter79 wrote:


    Been researching US Kids vs OEM a lot lately. I know swing weight is way over rated but I'm curious if anyone on here knows their total weight of their drivers and what length they are. Just trying to see if our OEM setup is actually on par with some of what us kids ts3. Please share and for those that have ts3 drivers share that data too.



    Her current setup is a Ping G head that weighs 196 shaft/adapter/grip 80 grams total weight = 276.




    196g is on the high side.



    Cobra Junior Biocell = 191.0g

    Cobra Junior F6 + orange weight = 191.4g



    I believe US Kids TS, as well as Flynn drivers, are both around 190g




    Five grams make that much difference??



    I was told cobra weighs more....



    Us kids ts3 190 from what they told me the new ping g prodig is 187.
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2018 #6
    darter79 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:
    darter79 wrote:


    Been researching US Kids vs OEM a lot lately. I know swing weight is way over rated but I'm curious if anyone on here knows their total weight of their drivers and what length they are. Just trying to see if our OEM setup is actually on par with some of what us kids ts3. Please share and for those that have ts3 drivers share that data too.



    Her current setup is a Ping G head that weighs 196 shaft/adapter/grip 80 grams total weight = 276.




    196g is on the high side.



    Cobra Junior Biocell = 191.0g

    Cobra Junior F6 + orange weight = 191.4g



    I believe US Kids TS, as well as Flynn drivers, are both around 190g




    Five grams make that much difference??



    I was told cobra weighs more....



    Us kids ts3 190 from what they told me the new ping g prodig is 187.




    It only makes a difference if you care.

    But since you started the post, I'm under the assumption you do care, right? image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />



    If she's swinging fine then just keep using it. If you see her struggling then try swapping out the weight to a lighter one.



    My son is on the skinny side, and when I started him out I tried to go as light as possible.

    F6 with both weights removed came out to 181.6g.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2018 #7
    I thought the Epic Star is one of the lightest driver out there. I think they state it's 286 grams with the shaft included and it is pretty pricey too.





    https://www.callaway...-epic-star.html



    It looks like it is heavier maybe then other alternatives out there for kids. at the end of the day I am not sure it matters that much. Todays drivers are all pretty light. I think your better off having them work out if you trying to gain yards by then trying to shave a few grams here and there. A driver that is too light is not going to help either you have to have the correct balance of weight and speed.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:

    darter79 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:
    darter79 wrote:


    Been researching US Kids vs OEM a lot lately. I know swing weight is way over rated but I'm curious if anyone on here knows their total weight of their drivers and what length they are. Just trying to see if our OEM setup is actually on par with some of what us kids ts3. Please share and for those that have ts3 drivers share that data too.



    Her current setup is a Ping G head that weighs 196 shaft/adapter/grip 80 grams total weight = 276.




    196g is on the high side.



    Cobra Junior Biocell = 191.0g

    Cobra Junior F6 + orange weight = 191.4g



    I believe US Kids TS, as well as Flynn drivers, are both around 190g




    Five grams make that much difference??



    I was told cobra weighs more....



    Us kids ts3 190 from what they told me the new ping g prodig is 187.




    It only makes a difference if you care.

    But since you started the post, I'm under the assumption you do care, right? image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />



    If she's swinging fine then just keep using it. If you see her struggling then try swapping out the weight to a lighter one.



    My son is on the skinny side, and when I started him out I tried to go as light as possible.

    F6 with both weights removed came out to 181.6g.




    She never seemed to have a problem with weight but talking to some they are always go as light as possible just thought I would ask since Santa is coming to town soon.
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2018 #9
    darter79 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:

    darter79 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:
    darter79 wrote:


    Been researching US Kids vs OEM a lot lately. I know swing weight is way over rated but I'm curious if anyone on here knows their total weight of their drivers and what length they are. Just trying to see if our OEM setup is actually on par with some of what us kids ts3. Please share and for those that have ts3 drivers share that data too.



    Her current setup is a Ping G head that weighs 196 shaft/adapter/grip 80 grams total weight = 276.




    196g is on the high side.



    Cobra Junior Biocell = 191.0g

    Cobra Junior F6 + orange weight = 191.4g



    I believe US Kids TS, as well as Flynn drivers, are both around 190g




    Five grams make that much difference??



    I was told cobra weighs more....



    Us kids ts3 190 from what they told me the new ping g prodig is 187.




    It only makes a difference if you care.

    But since you started the post, I'm under the assumption you do care, right? image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />



    If she's swinging fine then just keep using it. If you see her struggling then try swapping out the weight to a lighter one.



    My son is on the skinny side, and when I started him out I tried to go as light as possible.

    F6 with both weights removed came out to 181.6g.




    She never seemed to have a problem with weight but talking to some they are always go as light as possible just thought I would ask since Santa is coming to town soon.




    She's a lucky girl and hope she knows it!



    Looks like that Ping G is a 2016 model.

    Believe me when I say this, but a brand new driver will NOT be significantly better than your current setup.

    We've tried 2015 all the way to 2018 cobra models(Bio Cell, F6, F7 and F8) until he finally realized it's the Indian, not the arrow.

    Again, if you want a lighter setup, replacing the rear weight is a far cost effective solution.



    If you want to fiddle around, pay very careful attention to US Kids equipment specs. They have their equipment at those specs for a reason. US Kids, Flynn and Cobra are all around 190 grams. Coincidence? Perhaps, but probably for a reason and this should be a good starting point for juniors.



    On a separate note, don't be surprised if OEM setups aren't significantly better than US Kids. My boy is turning 11 next month and he is FINALLY seeing benefits of the Cobra setup. He's one of the smallest kid in his age group and is now able to drive past much bigger kids that are using US Kids drivers. At younger age, kids just are not able to generate enough speed and consistency to reap the benefits of better technology.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    If I made any change it would be PING Prodi G or us kids ts3. Maybe cobra f8. I was always told overall weight the most important factor any I was digging into it.



    I know when she hit the ts3 at worlds I was impressed based on negative things I’ve heard.



    Just digging around I’m a data guy. Thanks fir the insight
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2018 #11
    darter79 wrote:


    If I made any change it would be PING Prodi G or us kids ts3. Maybe cobra f8. I was always told overall weight the most important factor any I was digging into it.



    I know when she hit the ts3 at worlds I was impressed based on negative things I’ve heard.



    Just digging around I’m a data guy. Thanks fir the insight




    If we look at a golf swing from a physics standpoint, 5 grams from the head would have a much bigger impact than 5 gram from the shaft or the grip due to centrifugal force. Therefore two clubs both weighing at 280 grams will feel very different depending on how the weights are distributed.



    I used to do lot of cycling before losing my free time to son's golf. Cyclists spends stupid money trying to shave off grams off of their bikes, even replacing all their metal screws with $20 titanium bolts. Smart guys would instead save their funds and buy the lightest wheels. Again, centrifugal force...



    Now having said that, these are 8~10 year old kids we are talking about. Probably the most important factor for them is what color their clubs and balls are. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2018 #12
    leezer99 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:

    darter79 wrote:


    If I made any change it would be PING Prodi G or us kids ts3. Maybe cobra f8. I was always told overall weight the most important factor any I was digging into it.



    I know when she hit the ts3 at worlds I was impressed based on negative things I’ve heard.



    Just digging around I’m a data guy. Thanks fir the insight




    If we look at a golf swing from a physics standpoint, 5 grams from the head would have a much bigger impact than 5 gram from the shaft or the grip due to centrifugal force. Therefore two clubs both weighing at 280 grams will feel very different depending on how the weights are distributed.



    I used to do lot of cycling before losing my free time to son's golf. Cyclists spends stupid money trying to shave off grams off of their bikes, even replacing all their metal screws with $20 titanium bolts. Smart guys would instead save their funds and buy the lightest wheels. Again, centrifugal force...



    Now having said that, these are 8~10 year old kids we are talking about. Probably the most important factor for them is what color their clubs and balls are. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />




    * centripetal




    No, I'm pretty sure it's centrifugal
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2018 #13
    leezer99 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:

    leezer99 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:

    darter79 wrote:


    If I made any change it would be PING Prodi G or us kids ts3. Maybe cobra f8. I was always told overall weight the most important factor any I was digging into it.



    I know when she hit the ts3 at worlds I was impressed based on negative things I’ve heard.



    Just digging around I’m a data guy. Thanks fir the insight




    If we look at a golf swing from a physics standpoint, 5 grams from the head would have a much bigger impact than 5 gram from the shaft or the grip due to centrifugal force. Therefore two clubs both weighing at 280 grams will feel very different depending on how the weights are distributed.



    I used to do lot of cycling before losing my free time to son's golf. Cyclists spends stupid money trying to shave off grams off of their bikes, even replacing all their metal screws with $20 titanium bolts. Smart guys would instead save their funds and buy the lightest wheels. Again, centrifugal force...



    Now having said that, these are 8~10 year old kids we are talking about. Probably the most important factor for them is what color their clubs and balls are. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />




    * centripetal




    No, I'm pretty sure it's centrifugal




    You sure? Centrifugal is an apparent force. From the internet: The centripetal force, the action, is balanced by a reaction force, the centrifugal ( "center-fleeing" ) force. The two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. The centrifugal force does not act on the body in motion; the only force acting on the body in motion is the centripetal force. The centrifugal force does not act on the body in motion; the only force acting on the body in motion is the centripetal force.




    Yes, I'm sure. Centripetal is what keeps it rotating. Centrifugal is what makes it want to move away from the center.

    https://marinersight.blogspot.com/2018/03/centrifugal-force-and-centripetal-force.html



    Pedantries aside, can we agree that as more mass is moved away from the center to outside whatever force there is actually increases? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />





    centrifugal-force-vs-centripetal-force-810x405.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:

    darter79 wrote:


    If I made any change it would be PING Prodi G or us kids ts3. Maybe cobra f8. I was always told overall weight the most important factor any I was digging into it.



    I know when she hit the ts3 at worlds I was impressed based on negative things I’ve heard.



    Just digging around I’m a data guy. Thanks fir the insight




    If we look at a golf swing from a physics standpoint, 5 grams from the head would have a much bigger impact than 5 gram from the shaft or the grip due to centrifugal force. Therefore two clubs both weighing at 280 grams will feel very different depending on how the weights are distributed.



    I used to do lot of cycling before losing my free time to son's golf. Cyclists spends stupid money trying to shave off grams off of their bikes, even replacing all their metal screws with $20 titanium bolts. Smart guys would instead save their funds and buy the lightest wheels. Again, centrifugal force...



    Now having said that, these are 8~10 year old kids we are talking about. Probably the most important factor for them is what color their clubs and balls are. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />




    I decided to do a test at the range the other night. I took out the 5+gram weight and man I could tell she was swing faster. Just sounded better in her practice swings.I truly didn't think 5 grams made that much of a difference. I plan to have her play like that on the course this weekend interesting to see if went further or my old man eyes said it did.
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Oct 28, 2018 #15
    darter79 wrote:

    mrshinsa wrote:

    darter79 wrote:


    If I made any change it would be PING Prodi G or us kids ts3. Maybe cobra f8. I was always told overall weight the most important factor any I was digging into it.



    I know when she hit the ts3 at worlds I was impressed based on negative things I’ve heard.



    Just digging around I’m a data guy. Thanks fir the insight




    If we look at a golf swing from a physics standpoint, 5 grams from the head would have a much bigger impact than 5 gram from the shaft or the grip due to centrifugal force. Therefore two clubs both weighing at 280 grams will feel very different depending on how the weights are distributed.



    I used to do lot of cycling before losing my free time to son's golf. Cyclists spends stupid money trying to shave off grams off of their bikes, even replacing all their metal screws with $20 titanium bolts. Smart guys would instead save their funds and buy the lightest wheels. Again, centrifugal force...



    Now having said that, these are 8~10 year old kids we are talking about. Probably the most important factor for them is what color their clubs and balls are. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />




    I decided to do a test at the range the other night. I took out the 5+gram weight and man I could tell she was swing faster. Just sounded better in her practice swings.I truly didn't think 5 grams made that much of a difference. I plan to have her play like that on the course this weekend interesting to see if went further or my old man eyes said it did.




    Glad to hear of the initial positive results. Now also be aware that removing the weight from the rear will result in a slightly lower ball flight and you may or may not need to up the loft to compensate.

    I made the mistake of removing the weight the day before the regional, and costed couple of strokes.



    Hence the fun begins. Tweak here, tweak there... image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,632 ClubWRX
    Still rocking the Cally XR16 with Mitsubishi Bassara 42gm L flex shaft.



    Still hitting the ball 10-20 yards past kids a year older than him.



    I've got the 13.5* XR16 head turned up 2*.



    Did a bunch of research prior to building this up, and the XR16 is one of the lightest OEM heads on the market.
  • 1992joeshmoe1992joeshmoe Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Where can i find info on club head mass?
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭


    Where can i find info on club head mass?




    Depends on which most most adult oem heads will fall in the 195-200 a few sub 195.
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 72 ✭✭
    I know totally rabbit hole, but switch my son to a G400 with a 445cc head. Its made a world of difference. 4.5 mph increase in SS. We keep feeding and hanging him upside down in the closet at night.
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,632 ClubWRX


    I know totally rabbit hole, but switch my son to a G400 with a 445cc head. Its made a world of difference. 4.5 mph increase in SS. We keep feeding and hanging him upside down in the closet at night.




    It's a good head if you have the SS for it.



    I wouldn't recommend it for the younger Juniors though...as it's one of the heaviest OEM heads on the market at ~208gms.



    The little guys and gals don't have the SS to handle the weight.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭
    jj9000 wrote:


    I know totally rabbit hole, but switch my son to a G400 with a 445cc head. Its made a world of difference. 4.5 mph increase in SS. We keep feeding and hanging him upside down in the closet at night.




    It's a good head if you have the SS for it.



    I wouldn't recommend it for the younger Juniors though...as it's one of the heaviest OEM heads on the market at ~208gms.



    The little guys and gals don't have the SS to handle the weight.




    Ping not always as advertised. My daughter had a ping g it supposed to weigh 206 but it’s 194. Depends on the weight they put in.
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,632 ClubWRX
    darter79 wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:


    I know totally rabbit hole, but switch my son to a G400 with a 445cc head. Its made a world of difference. 4.5 mph increase in SS. We keep feeding and hanging him upside down in the closet at night.




    It's a good head if you have the SS for it.



    I wouldn't recommend it for the younger Juniors though...as it's one of the heaviest OEM heads on the market at ~208gms.



    The little guys and gals don't have the SS to handle the weight.




    Ping not always as advertised. My daughter had a ping g it supposed to weigh 206 but it’s 194. Depends on the weight they put in.




    Depends on how you order the Driver. If you specify a certain length or swingweight, PING will place different weighted weights screwed in the back.



    But...~208gm is standard for the G400 LST.



    I play a PING G and I have the OEM weight kit b/c I like a D4-D5 swingweight. Depending on the shaft I'm playing, the total head weight varies to get to D4-D5 range.
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 72 ✭✭
    jj9000 wrote:

    darter79 wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:


    I know totally rabbit hole, but switch my son to a G400 with a 445cc head. Its made a world of difference. 4.5 mph increase in SS. We keep feeding and hanging him upside down in the closet at night.




    It's a good head if you have the SS for it.



    I wouldn't recommend it for the younger Juniors though...as it's one of the heaviest OEM heads on the market at ~208gms.



    The little guys and gals don't have the SS to handle the weight.




    Ping not always as advertised. My daughter had a ping g it supposed to weigh 206 but it's 194. Depends on the weight they put in.




    Depends on how you order the Driver. If you specify a certain length or swingweight, PING will place different weighted weights screwed in the back.



    But...~208gm is standard for the G400 LST.



    I play a PING G and I have the OEM weight kit b/c I like a D4-D5 swingweight. Depending on the shaft I'm playing, the total head weight varies to get to D4-D5 range.




    We (fitter and him) changed the swing weight. Also went with the soft regular.. He is 15 and about 110 lbs. It actually looks like he can swing faster now. We played last week while we had some warm weather. Normally, he is around 230 or so this time of year. He carried one 245. He was smiling ear to ear.
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
Sign In or Register to comment.