Confused on distances with different clubs

Xdmike20

I am coming back to golf after a long break (about ten years, before we had really good launch monitors) I used to be almost a scratch golfer but now I am hovering around an 8. Anyway I went to golf galaxy yesterday to do some testing and I am curious on some of the feedback I got from the launch monitors. The first club is an older Cobra Pro CB with a project x 5.5 shaft lengthened to 37.75 and lofted to 28*. The second club is a Cobra Bio cell+ at the stock specs of 37.5 and 29* with a DG s300. I think the faster swing speed may be from the difference in weight of the X to the s300. I feel like I should be carrying it further given my swing speed and numbers from the Cell+. I have never had a true fitting before, just played with clubs off the shelf. Do these numbers look correct to more experienced WRXers

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the numbers the distances is on par with what I’ve seen from others with similar ball speed and spin rates.

The efficiency, which I'm guessing to be the smash factor, is amazing to be at 1.36 for every single club. With all appropriate respect, you must be a helluva consistent ball striker and I'm jealous!

That’s usually a pre pgrammmed value in gc2 which is what most big box stores use. Iirc it’s 1.45 for driver

The smash factor or "efficiency" is preset on GC2 at most big box stores like Dick's, Golf Galaxy, Roger Dunn, etc for the respective type of club. Therefore the swing speed is a calculated number from ball speed.

Numbers are about right though for carry vs. ball speed. Couple things to consider too is which club you were hitting first and were cold vs. when you were warmed up.

I am coming back to golf after a long break (about ten years, before we had really good launch monitors) I used to be almost a scratch golfer but now I am hovering around an 8. Anyway I went to golf galaxy yesterday to do some testing and I am curious on some of the feedback I got from the launch monitors. The first club is an older Cobra Pro CB with a project x 5.5 shaft lengthened to 37.75 and lofted to 28*. The second club is a Cobra Bio cell+ at the stock specs of 37.5 and 29* with a DG s300. I think the faster swing speed may be from the difference in weight of the X to the s300. I feel like I should be carrying it further given my swing speed and numbers from the Cell+. I have never had a true fitting before, just played with clubs off the shelf. Do these numbers look correct to more experienced WRXers

Never mind Club speed, that monitor DOES NOT measure the club, but use BALL SPEED / 1.36 = "Club speed", but thats only a estimate of your club speed. Ball speed is where distance come from and you can trust that monitor on that so use that value, then launch and spin, so just enter those 3 values here, and play around with them.

https://flightscope....tory-optimizer/

When you get out door, launch angle will go down (up to about 2), and spin goes up, yours in the area of low to mid 6000.

(mats indoor raises launch and lower spin)

PGA - then LPGA Average for #6 irons

Club - Ball - Launch - Spin - Carry

92 mph - 127 mph - 14.1* - 6231 - 183

78 mph - 109 mph - 17.1* - 5943 - 152

Those are AVERERAGE numbers.....NOT "IDEAL"

If you look at BALL SPEED, it vary A LOT on both clubs, it could have been explained on club #1 starting cold, but you vary on both, so something is "off" for you, your impact is very variable, so could your club speed be, and that can be both total weight (shaft weight) or balance (bring some lead tape and add a strip or two on the head). Also ask yourself how this shafts feels, both during the swing and impact. (too soft, too stiff? just right but...) Maybe a 105-110 grams shaft is something to consider? at least give it a try, but dont forget some lead tape for the head, its crazy what a few grams can do for our impact.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had already hit about 20 balls with each so I was pretty warmed up. One of my swing issues right now coming back is that it is is not as consistent as I used to be. That is probably the variance that shows up. I am leaning more to the PX because I like the feel of that one better than the s300.

Howard, I may look into the new TT105 maybe in a x100 soft stepped. I feel that my swing speed may rise with the less weighted shaft so maybe having something a bit stiffer will help with dispersion. It would be great if they made a low launch, low spin PX though. I may also give the KBS tour-v shaft a try as well

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had already hit about 20 balls with each so I was pretty warmed up. One of my swing issues right now coming back is that it is is not as consistent as I used to be. That is probably the variance that shows up. I am leaning more to the PX because I like the feel of that one better than the s300.

Howard, I may look into the new TT105 maybe in a x100 soft stepped. I feel that my swing speed may rise with the less weighted shaft so maybe having something a bit stiffer will help with dispersion. It would be great if they made a low launch, low spin PX though. I may also give the KBS tour-v shaft a try as well

Dont buy anything without trying.

We might think that we can gain some club speed when we go down in shaft weight, but sometimes its oposit, the player loose club speed, so shaft weight itself is a parameter we should pay more attention too, its not always like "the book say"

If its too heavy, we start using our hips and back to "jump start" the club from the top, that mess up our timing and we loose both power and control.

If its to light, we need to do everything our self, dont forget that the club is kind of a "Dancing partner", so a Golf swing can be compared with a dance step, and the golf club is our partner. The club shall assist us by providing the needed resistance and feel of both the head and the shaft during the swing so we can navigate the club right. We dont see what the club does, we feel it trough our hands, and weight is a major contributor to what we feel, so to much or to little is both wrong here, and that goes for both shaft weight and head weight, so dont overlook any of them, but find whats right for you.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

You've been better than I ever was so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and never fit ? Impressive.

FWIW,,,,,,,,,,,,

Since you've been scratch, I would pay more attention to the better 3 or 4 numbers for each club on the presumption that you will get back to, or at least close to, where you once were; a (most likely) excellent ball striker.

Based on those best 3 or 4 of each club, you're about 176 carry with the CB and about 173 with the +.

Shaft on the CB is a bit lighter and 1* stronger; pretty much just about 2.5 yards worth.

Those things, to me, would translate so close (on carry) that it's a tie.

If those 2 clubs are the ONLY 2 choices, I would pick the one, all else (feel, looks, weight, etc.) being equal, that produces the best dispersion on center strikes.

Dispersion is difficult to tell from numbers (much easier on the screen you're viewing) but it looks to me that the CB is (mostly) starting a bit right and drawing back to center. The + seems to be starting more towards the target and hooking quite a bit.

Is that about what you recall seeing on the screen ?

Hope this helps.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

NSXguy (awesome name by the way) yes the CB was more of your typical start out to the right and draw back. I feel like the newer clubs aren't as workable as the oldschool clubs, unless its like the new forged blades or pro type irons. I played DCI 1996 962's with rifles for a decade before my long break.

NSXguy (awesome name by the way) yes the CB was more of your typical start out to the right and draw back. I feel like the newer clubs aren't as workable as the oldschool clubs, unless its like the new forged blades or pro type irons. I played DCI 1996 962's with rifles for a decade before my long break.

Ummmmm,,,,, let's not go there, OK ?

You haven't been around here until recently so you probably don't realize how heated all the blades vs. CB threads get.

Let's suffice it to say that blades are more workable and CBs are more forgiving.

Your Cobra CB, while having some perimeter weighting, isn't totally a true game improvement, or cavity back, iron as there is some weight directly behind the sweet spot. Common terminology around here for that kind of club would be "player's CB", i.e. some perimeter weighting, but nothing extreme (as opposed to game improvement "GI" which the Bio Cell + would probably be considered).

So you should see more workability in the Cobra and a bit more forgiveness in the BC+

Oh, and welcome to the club,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I use to play DG S-300 & X-100, both 130 grams and 37.50 is pretty standard 6i length. Not saying it's the case at that B&M, but I don't trust indoor launch monitors at retail chains.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX