ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Want Rust... Help Please

04majorhmgc04majorhmgc Hill AFB, UTMembers Posts: 22 ✭✭
Hoping to rust up a Cleveland Huntington Beach #4. Just want something to call my own I guess. I've removed all paint fill and want to know if there is something I could treat the metal with in order to foster some rust. In Utah, rust is hard to come by, no humidity.... Thanks
Dunlop Persimmon
PowerBilt Citation 4 Wood
Maxfli/Dunlop Australian Blades '78-'81
Wilson R-90
SC Hollywood
Titleist Tour Balata 90/100 (whatever I can find)

Comments

• golfluvzmegolfluvzme Advanced Members Posts: 2,715 ✭✭
    I was always under the impression that the Cleveland putters were cast stainless, then skim milled to get a true face and such. If so, it isn't just UTAH that won't let you rust that bad boy, it's science. My dad was stationed at Hill AFB.......a very long time ago. Have you played much at Ernie Scheider's Riverside GC? Spent a few birthdays there with my friends when I was 10-13. Dad was friends with Ernie and my group played a little tournament to celebrate each year.

Sorry for the bad news on rusting that bad boy. They are some sweet putters that are in a value range that everyone can afford to add one to the rotation. Keep it silver and enjoy, image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

LaMont in AZ
  • 04majorhmgc04majorhmgc Hill AFB, UTMembers Posts: 22 ✭✭
    golfluvzme wrote:

I was always under the impression that the Cleveland putters were cast stainless, then skim milled to get a true face and such. If so, it isn't just UTAH that won't let you rust that bad boy, it's science. My dad was stationed at Hill AFB.......a very long time ago. Have you played much at Ernie Scheider's Riverside GC? Spent a few birthdays there with my friends when I was 10-13. Dad was friends with Ernie and my group played a little tournament to celebrate each year.

Sorry for the bad news on rusting that bad boy. They are some sweet putters that are in a value range that everyone can afford to add one to the rotation. Keep it silver and enjoy, image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

LaMont in AZ

That was my big fear, science. Just thought a little project would make a free putter pretty fun to mess around with, thanks for the reply.

But of course! I'm local and grew up playing junior and high school tourneys at Riverside, awesome place, always green on the river bottom! One of many good tracks in the area. Cheers.
    Dunlop Persimmon
    Wilson R-90
    SC Hollywood
  • kmay__kmay__ Advanced Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Check it with a magnet, if its stainless the magnet wont stick (or will barely draw the magnet). Then to create some rust you could rub or buff it with a mild steel wire brush/wire wheel, this is what you don't do when working with stainless cause it will contaminate it. Could very well help to create some surface rust, buff it with a mild steel brush, then wet it and leave it out. Should have some surface rust pretty quickly.

Worth a try.
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • golfluvzmegolfluvzme Advanced Members Posts: 2,715 ✭✭
    There you go. That is a huge benefit of this forum, the members. There are guys here from every walk of life and little tricks that can do amazing things.

Great idea on the mild steel wire wheel. I never even thought of that sort of trickery. Perfect!

Thanks!!

LaMont in AZ
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Advanced Members Posts: 893 ✭✭
    Salt water
  • rocket500rocket500 Advanced Members Posts: 147
    Stainless steel will rust. No steel is rust proof. It’s just rust resistant. Salt water will rust it if exposed long enough. You might not get the same nice patina that you can get from other steels though.
  • 04majorhmgc04majorhmgc Hill AFB, UTMembers Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Big thanks for the advice. Will give it my best go. If I get something worth showing, I'll post it here for sure.
    Dunlop Persimmon
    Wilson R-90
    SC Hollywood